PDA

View Full Version : Street legal golf carts?

djunkie
12-03-2004, 01:34 PM
So I finally got a golf cart for the house in Havasu. Gonna customize it as a winter project. My question is who drives theres on the streets in havasu and do you all have them registered? Or does it not really matter. I plan on putting lights and everything on it but should I go the extra step and register it. Also what exactly do you need to get it registered?

Sun burners
12-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Good Question!
I hope to get one soon.

charlyox
12-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Ask the Boatcop

jdogginla
12-03-2004, 03:27 PM
I think that the Gem Cars are the only ones that are "street legal" and are required to be registered by the DMV. The E-Z Go Golf carts are not street legal unless in a gated community. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

welk2party
12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Not sure about Havasu but in Nevada it is. My Dad has en ez-go registered with the DMV and is street legal. He has mirrors and lights and plates.

Boatcop
12-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Golf Carts can be registered as a motor vehicle as long as they have the required safety features, such as lights, brake lights, horn, mirrors, etc.
There are exemptions for safety glass, seat belts, and windshield wipers, but I think most of the other stuff is required.
Best thing to do is trailer it down to the MVD and they'll tell you what you need.

Racer277
12-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info BC,
Can the process still be used to license a dirt bike in AZ?

Dawn Patrol
12-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Golf Carts can be registered as a motor vehicle as long as they have the required safety features, such as lights, brake lights, horn, mirrors, etc.
There are exemptions for safety glass, seat belts, and windshield wipers, but I think most of the other stuff is required.
Best thing to do is trailer it down to the MVD and they'll tell you what you need.
Boatcop,
I bought a cart here in California, it has a License plate, Lights front & rear, but no brake lights or mirrors. The BLM ran the plate when we were at Emerald Cove, and said it was legal to drive in areas where the speed limit is 25 mph or less. Would this cart be legal in Arizona?

stoker
12-03-2004, 04:10 PM
I have one that I drive in Costa Mesa (CA) all the time. I took it to the police department to see what I needed to do to make it legal. They said as long as it does not exceed 15 mph and I keep it on streets poted 25 or less I am O.K. I always see cops when I am out and about and they never even look twice. They also said it falls under the same rules as a scooter and what ever I do keep it off the sidewalks!

Mrs CP 19
12-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I think that the Gem Cars are the only ones that are "street legal" and are required to be registered by the DMV. The E-Z Go Golf carts are not street legal unless in a gated community. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
My mom lives on a golf course, but does not have direct access to the course for her cart. She drives to the clubhouse in the cart (along with everyone else) There is even a marked 'golf cart lane' on the streets in her area. It does not have to be a gated community. We drive our cart all over the place in Mohave Valley and have never had a problem. Also, you can drive a cart around town as long as you are in a 25 MPH area.

Nubbs
12-03-2004, 09:56 PM
I cruise my golf cart in my neighborhood all the time. I stay on the side streets whenever possible. If I have to go on a major street I use the sidewalk.

moneysucker
12-03-2004, 10:06 PM
You must have insurance to register a cart in CA. Not a bad idea either. It is $40 a year on my policy for full coverage which covers the cart for $5000 in dammage or theft. Parks like hidden shores also require insurace to operate within the park but no registration.

clownpuncher
12-03-2004, 10:35 PM
According to the City of Palm Desert, all carts must have.....
Head/tail/brake lights
Turn signals
Seatblets
and, get this................a roof, so other cars can see you better.
We can only drive on pre-disignated streets, absolutley no major streets.
I figure I take my chances when I drive this on the streets. It was a lot of work to make it look authentic, ain't no way I'm putting a roof on it. Might as well put a roof on a Cobra (car) too.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/536Eiko_hit_H_Quality-med.jpg

AMC-Nut
12-03-2004, 11:04 PM
In Arizona you can make anything street legal. I have a couple of buddies who have both CR250's and Banshees licensed for street use. Anything can be made street legal here if it meets the general safety requirements. Here is the only link that I could for the differant vehicles though.
AZ Vehicles (http://www.dot.state.az.us/mvd/statistics/documents/CategoryCodesandBodyStyles.pdf)
I think for a banshee it just had to have the stock muffler, brake lights, turn signals and a headlight.

dave186
12-04-2004, 02:38 AM
in ID, headlight (technically with hi/lo), brakelight, and a horn is all you need for anything. if its a car you need windshield wipers but a windshield in not required! i have a street plate for my dirt bike and it wouldnt even be legal offroad in CA!

sdpm
12-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Get this. Ours is registered with calif. plates and insured. We always take it to the desert and to the river. We were driving around superstition and a ranger pulled up to us and said that he noticed the licence plates. He also noticed that I was sitting in the cart with a beer(open). He went on to explain that since it had plates it was a legal vehicle.He could site me for a open container in a vehicle and if I were to drive away he could pull me over and test me!! :eek: He was way cool and didn't do any of these but told me that other rangers are not so nice so to be careful!! So just keep this in mind for all who cave carts with plates. It is a "registered motor vehicle" and all those laws go along with that.

Flying Tiger
12-04-2004, 07:55 AM
We drive ours from Emerald cove to the Del Rio Bar on the shoulder of Rice Rd,, and a desig driver drives us back.
The SB Sheriff lets us go but will site if you have an open container,, or suspects the driver is intoxicated.
Age of driver doesn't seem to be an issue if they can see over the dash and are sober.
The CHP,, well, I haven't got their take on it yet.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_July__04_012-med.jpg

riverroyal
12-04-2004, 09:12 AM
we have a 2002 FORD THINK golf cart,or neighborhood vehicle,it a 4 seater with seat belts,goes about 30 miles on a charge,tops out about 28-31 mph,it have a speedo.Its street legal here on any street up to 35mph,Im guessin you could get away with 45 streets,its fully licenced,insured(250$ a year),its still under ford warrant,if it breaks they have to come get it with a trailer...we load it in our toy hauler and take to where ever we camp we Havasu,no walking in 110 degree weather.I use it to pick my kids up at school,they love it......The only problem is the are real hard to find now,Ford only made them in 2002,so they are holding there value real well,,,,check them out,I think they have a Ford web site,,,good luck

Boatcop
12-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Get this. Ours is registered with calif. plates and insured. We always take it to the desert and to the river. We were driving around superstition and a ranger pulled up to us and said that he noticed the licence plates. He also noticed that I was sitting in the cart with a beer(open). He went on to explain that since it had plates it was a legal vehicle.He could site me for a open container in a vehicle and if I were to drive away he could pull me over and test me!! :eek: He was way cool and didn't do any of these but told me that other rangers are not so nice so to be careful!! So just keep this in mind for all who cave carts with plates. It is a "registered motor vehicle" and all those laws go along with that.
In Arizona the DUI laws apply to any motorized vehicle, anywhere in the State. Private property included. Technically, if you were drunk, driving at Havasu Hot Laps (The cart joint up there) you could be arrested.
There's been arrests for DUIs on Golf Carts, Forklifts, Dirt Bikes in the desert, etc.
As far as operating on a public roadway, any vehicle must be registered, insured, and driven by a licensed driver. The only exception is a Golf Cart, operated incidentally on a roadway, when actually playing golf on a course adjacent to said roadway.
"Knowledge is Power!"

ryantparks
12-04-2004, 09:20 AM
when driving it the desert take the plates off of it if has them then even minors can drive it, obviously with safety in mind. I had mine registered here in the O.C pretty easy to do. I now have a different cart that I want to get registered just so I dont have any problems with the police and the fact that my wife was pulled over on the residential streets in our neighborhood she was just warned not to have it on the street until it was legal.
If someone here in CA is getting theirs registered DONT go to the DMV have an outside company do it for you like a co. that registers numerous vehicles.

JetBoatRich
12-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the information :cool: this subject came up last week with us and a neighbor