PDA

View Full Version : Model Railroading

harleypauls
12-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Hey, Is anyone on the boards into model railroading. I want to get started in it for the winter months when we are not boating, and I wondered if anyone else is into to it.
Thanks, Paul

tamalewagon
12-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Hey, Is anyone on the boards into model railroading. I want to get started in it for the winter months when we are not boating, and I wondered if anyone else is into to it.
Thanks, Paul
Yup. My father got me into it when I was about 5 yrs old and haven't given up on it yet! I just bought my son his first Lionel train set last weekend for the X-mas tree. Unfortunately, I don't know of any shops up your way. However, if you are ever in the San Diego area Frank the Trainman's shop up on Park Avenue is fantastic. They've been there for over 40 years. Scott

harleypauls
12-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Yup. My father got me into it when I was about 5 yrs old and haven't given up on it yet! I just bought my son his first Lionel train set last weekend for the X-mas tree. Unfortunately, I don't know of any shops up your way. However, if you are ever in the San Diego area Frank the Trainman's shop up on Park Avenue is fantastic. They've been there for over 40 years. Scott
Thanks Tamalewagon, Are there any books or magazines you reccommend for the beginner?
Paul

tamalewagon
12-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks Tamalewagon, Are there any books or magazines you reccommend for the beginner?
Paul
There used to be a magazine "Model Railways" or something to that effect. I don't know if it's still being produced. Actually Paul, the best thing to do, is probably hit a local shop or the internet. What you need are the following; transformer, locomotive, cars and some track. Looks great around the tree!

cruser
12-04-2004, 10:20 AM
I would recommend 2 magazines. Model Railroader and Model Railroad Craftsman. You can get them at most stores that carry decent sized magazine sections. I think Model Railroader has a web site.
Look up Hobby stores in the yellow pages. Most cities of any size have at least a couple stores.
Been into trains off and on for the last 25 yrs. If you want more info, send me a pm.

harleypauls
12-04-2004, 10:24 AM
There used to be a magazine "Model Railways" or something to that effect. I don't know if it's still being produced. Actually Paul, the best thing to do, is probably hit a local shop or the internet. What you need are the following; transformer, locomotive, cars and some track. Looks great around the tree!
Tamale.... I have all the basic stuff, and a whole lot more. I used to drive tractor trailor from New Jersey to West Virginia with trash on it. I swore that I would never "take anything of my load". One trip I opened the tailate of my 40' dump bed at the dump, and the entire load was HO guage trains, track, transformers, cars. I took what looked to be okay and filled up my cab. I can probably lay a track completely around my house. I haven't done anything with it for about 15 years. Now it's time. I have the time over the winters to work with it. I need to learn how to do the platform and scenery
Paul

ROZ
12-04-2004, 11:50 AM
I second calling Frank's in San Diego. My grandfather was big into collecting but not model building. We spent many days there as kids checkin out the shop...
In the local grocery store strip mall near my house is a bank that a RR modeling association has taken over. It's like disneyland inside.. I'll be passing by there today, so I'll ask them for some good magazine, if I remember.. :)

harleypauls
12-04-2004, 11:58 AM
I second calling Frank's in San Diego. My grandfather was big into collecting but not model building. We spent many days there as kids checkin out the shop...
In the local grocery store strip mall near my house is a bank that a RR modeling association has taken over. It's like disneyland inside.. I'll be passing by there today, so I'll ask them for some good magazine, if I remember.. :)
Roz, That would be awsome. If and when we ever meet, I owe you one or ten of your favorite beverage!!
Paul :cool:

tamalewagon
12-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Tamale.... I have all the basic stuff, and a whole lot more. I used to drive tractor trailor from New Jersey to West Virginia with trash on it. I swore that I would never "take anything of my load". One trip I opened the tailate of my 40' dump bed at the dump, and the entire load was HO guage trains, track, transformers, cars. I took what looked to be okay and filled up my cab. I can probably lay a track completely around my house. I haven't done anything with it for about 15 years. Now it's time. I have the time over the winters to work with it. I need to learn how to do the platform and scenery
Paul
Sounds like you've got the basics covered and then some. Again, Franks is the place to check out. Also, if you can, in Balboa Park in San Diego there is a model railroad museum. I take my kids there all the time and the layouts are incredible! Anything you can imagine...city scenes, mountain scenes, river scenes the railroad grade up Cajon Pass...it's great!

RiverToysJas
12-04-2004, 12:08 PM
I really enjoy "Garden Railways" magazine. I don't have room in the house. Model Railroader is good too though.
My family, on my Dad's side has always been into trains. My Grandfather and all his brothers retired from the railroad. My Wife's Grandfather is retired from DR&G. My Brother is a steam train engineer. In Sept 2001 I took my wife and son an Amtrak vacation around the United States. We did like 23 states, and I forgot how many miles. Took two weeks, with a three day stop in Florida, starting Sept 11th 2001. Then we toured Washington DC four days after 9/11. It was strange, but since it was our time there, we couldn't compare it to anything.
I'll be setting up a very large O-N30 layout under the Christmas tree, this week!!! :220v: :D
RTJas :D

RiverOtter
12-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Paul
Probably cost more that your boating hobby http://midwestboatparty.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/657.gif

ROZ
12-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Harley Paul,
There wasn't anyone at the spot now known as the North County Modular RailRoad Society, but there was a number to call. 760-722-3408 .. Too bad you don't live down here, they're moving from the current location to Oceanside and have everything dissassembled. Helping put it back together at the new location is bound to be a learning experience.
Good luck :)

76BARRON
12-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Probably one of the first things to decide is scale ,or witch scale(size) will meet your needs best. "N" scale being the smallest, a layout will fit on a small table or sheet of plywood. Then you have "O"scale being the largest (kinda like lionel size) those will need a big room or yard to make a good layout. Then there is "HO" scale in between "N" AND "O"("HO"=HALF"O"scale)
Please Do Your Homework as there is a big difference between KID stuff and
adult (good) stuff. But most of all have fun and once in awhile let the kid's help!Somtimes us dad's kinda take over with out realizing! :D

Boozer
12-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Probably one of the first things to decide is scale ,or witch scale(size) will meet your needs best. "N" scale being the smallest, a layout will fit on a small table or sheet of plywood. Then you have "O"scale being the largest (kinda like lionel size) those will need a big room or yard to make a good layout. Then there is "HO" scale in between "N" AND "O"("HO"=HALF"O"scale)
Please Do Your Homework as there is a big difference between KID stuff and
adult (good) stuff. But most of all have fun and once in awhile let the kid's help!Somtimes us dad's kinda take over with out realizing! :D
Do they still offer Z scale stuff? My uncle built a really nice N scale set up and sold it to switch over to Z scale wich was even smaller then N. He never ended up building the set and hasnt gotten back into the hobby since. I havent seen any Z scale stuff in years so I'm wondering if it's even around anymore.

cruser
12-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Z is still alive and well. I just saw the perfect soft cover book for a beginner at the grocery store "Model Railroads for Beginners" I think. It is published by the same guys that publish Model Railroader, Kalmback Publishing Co. The Model Railroader web site is www.modelrailroader.com. Should be able to get this book there or find a link to the publisher.

wsuwrhr
12-04-2004, 11:20 PM
I have a million dollars in train stuff. HO and N scale. When I lived at home I had them everywhere. I was pretty into it, I even bought kits and hand built some of the cars.
I always said when I bought a house I would have a train running through the whole deal.
Brian

Racer277
12-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey Paul,
Close to you try:
Frank's Hobby Shop 714-639-9901 North Tustin Ave in Orange.
I spent hours and hours there when I was a kid. Every train book in the world and everything from plastic starter sets to brass detailed engines. Kids can dream in a hobby shop like Frank's.
R277