PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got computer issues today????

Outnumbered
04-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Seems like since Windows Update ran last night I got issues. Computer is hanging all the time. I can't run SpyBot or Ad-Aware...both lock up half way thru the run after finding bad stuff. I've got a few huge (25k+) "svchost" processes hogging up resources. Funny thing is that my dad works for me in Cali and he called me earlier telling me he was having issues before I even started to have them here. We have not traded files in a few days. Only other common denominator is windows update.
Anyone else got issues??????

Perfect Mixer
04-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I just noticed today that my mouse is dragging a little. I just checked the processes and don't see anything unusual. I haven't restarted this machine since I did the update yesterday. I hope I don't need to reload again. I'm sick of starting from scratch every 3 months.

maxwedge
04-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Got the exact same problem. I've been messing with it off and on all day, either locks up or re-starts. Can't run ad-aware or spybot or AVG, They all crash it. I've been assuming it's a virus, checking Hi-jack this files etc, but can't figure it out (not that I'm in any way computer literate mind you). I did run windows update Saturday now that you mention it. WTF? Anyone?

Outnumbered
04-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Got the exact same problem. I've been messing with it off and on all day, either locks up or re-starts. Can't run ad-aware or spybot or AVG, They all crash it. I've been assuming it's a virus, checking Hi-jack this files etc, but can't figure it out (not that I'm in any way computer literate mind you). I did run windows update Saturday now that you mention it. WTF? Anyone?
Wow, sounds like a widespread issue. Glad its not just me. I tried to Google it but didn't find anything. Don't really know what to Google for. I wonder if you can un-do the update without loosing other stuff on the computer?

maxwedge
04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Maybe this is how Microsoft is going to convince us to buy the new version that's coming out. I can see the sales pitch now.."Since your old windows platform doesn't work anymore, isn't it time for an upgrade...." :p

JetBoatRich
04-17-2006, 07:36 PM
seems normal to me :mad:

Outnumbered
04-17-2006, 07:38 PM
My windows updated last week and now problems here.
I think there are new ones out as of today:
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531) Monday, April 17, 2006 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562) Monday, April 17, 2006 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2006 (KB890830) Monday, April 17, 2006 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB912812) Monday, April 17, 2006 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB911565) Monday, April 17, 2006 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB911567) Monday, April 17, 2006 Automatic Updates

Outnumbered
04-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't believe I've received those yet.
I would wait on it. I bet they are working on a fix right now. Probably won't admit its broke until they have the fix is up and ready...FOCKERS :mad:

BajaMike
04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Seems like since Windows Update ran last night I got issues. Computer is hanging all the time. I can't run SpyBot or Ad-Aware...both lock up half way thru the run after finding bad stuff. I've got a few huge (25k+) "svchost" processes hogging up resources. Funny thing is that my dad works for me in Cali and he called me earlier telling me he was having issues before I even started to have them here. We have not traded files in a few days. Only other common denominator is windows update.
Anyone else got issues??????
svchost is a normal process, but can sometimes be a virus also...
I have 4 or 5 running, one using 25k + of mem, and I haven't updated yet....:confused:
:cry:
But mine is working fine.
:boxed:

572Daytona
04-17-2006, 08:01 PM
My daughter's computer got hijacked this weekend and was running like a dog and I spent the better part of Saturday cleaning it up, neither MS Antispyware or AVG were any help. I traced her problem back to something coming in via AOL's Triton IM. I removed that POS and put her back on the old version of AIM and cleaned up some registry entries and she's back up and running. But there's still a browser helper (BHO) entry that I can't get rid of, everytime I prune it, it gets put back out there, so some malware process is still running but damned if I can find it.

Outnumbered
04-17-2006, 08:04 PM
My daughter's computer got hijacked this weekend and was running like a dog and I spent the better part of Saturday cleaning it up, neither MS Antispyware or AVG were any help. I traced her problem back to something coming in via AOL's Triton IM. I removed that POS and put her back on the old version of AIM and cleaned up some registry entries and she's back up and running. But there's still a browser helper (BHO) entry that I can't get rid of, everytime I prune it, it gets put back out there, so some malware process is still running but damned if I can find it.
I don't know enough about this stuff to mess with the registry. I don't use IM or any other AOL stuff. I really think its the windows update but I could be wrong.

ddevore
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
If you suspect that an update caused the problem you can do one of two things. Easy, go to Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools and choose system restore, you can choose to restore your computer to a few days ago and all it should do is remove the changes since the date you choose.
Also, you can go to add/remove programs and choose to show updates, there is a checkbox at the top that allows you to show updates, choose the updates from the date you suspect and remove them.

572Daytona
04-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I've found a few mentions that the MS06-015 has been causing lockups, here the kb entry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165
One of the culprits they say is HP's share-to-web software that ships with some of its cameras/scanners/printers with card readers. There's info in there as to a potential resolution.

HotDogz
04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
It might be worth trying system restore to bring back a previous restore point. (If its update related, not a virus)

Outnumbered
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
OK, it was the update. (I have HP scanners and printers and apparently the software throws a wrench in security process some how).
I can't use "system restore" because I will loose my work also, so I opted for removing the updates with add/remove as was suggested. Worked perfect. Removed all 4 updates from 4/17 and now system is working again. Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot work now too.
I also disabled the auto-update feature. But now WTF do I do? I still need to get the updated security. The registry fix linked above is Greek to me and I don't really want to F-up my registry. Do you guys thing that MS will tweek this update to self-fix the registry issues???
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!

572Daytona
04-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Glad to see it's working. The issue appears to be with HP's software, I would check with them to see if they will be issuing an update, or just uninstall that software if you aren't using it.

a catered life
04-18-2006, 06:10 AM
seems normal to me :mad:
so there is something normal in your world? :p

Kiddunot
04-18-2006, 12:54 PM
you all probably have hp computers....

Outnumbered
04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Compaq actually. Its the scanner/printer software that seems to be the problem.

HammerDown
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I better go turn off auto updates.
Exactly why I never have them on (auto updates)...heck I haven't done any MS Updates in maybe a year (since the 1'st SP2 crap)...and chances are I won't.

Phat Matt
04-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Compaq actually. Its the scanner/printer software that seems to be the problem.
AI believe Compaq and HP are the same company.

Throttle
04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
just the normal issues... nothing related to the laptop today (yet).

NeedlesNut
04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
I believe it has to do with HP.... I have same issues and removed updates and now no problems either...

Perfect Mixer
04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
I've got an HP printer/scanner as well. I hope that they come out with an update (HP that is). Of coarse they'll blame it on MS.

Outnumbered
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
I've got an HP printer/scanner as well. I hope that they come out with an update (HP that is). Of coarse they'll blame it on MS.
Any luck? I deleted the HP software from the machine without the scanner and it works OK now with the new updates. But the other machine needs the HP software to work the scanner so I have the updates turned off on it.

Perfect Mixer
04-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Well HP had an update that I didn't know about. I installed it but haven't tested that machine lately. I've also noticed that my laptop and that other computer both have a strange reaction to this webboard. When I click onto a new topic, the screen flashes about 4 times as it loads the page. I noticed it after the update too. Anyone else experience this?

572Daytona
04-21-2006, 09:21 AM
From what I can tell, the HP software that caused this issue, the Share-to-Web product is pretty old and doesn't appear to be supported anymore, in looking at their website for it the last update is in 2003 and all of the links to drivers/tech support etc are bad links.
But, you should be able to uninstall just this component without affecting the main drivers for your camera/printer/camera/etc. Just go to add/remove programs and Uninstall the Share-to-Web application
All this component is used for is to provide an easy way to upload photos to certain vendor's websites, it looks like most of the other vendors other than hpphoto.com have all discontinued this service. So as long as you aren't loading photos to hpphoto.com you shouldn't have a need for the Share-to-Web software and it can be safely removed so you can put the patch on.

Outnumbered
04-21-2006, 05:27 PM
From what I can tell, the HP software that caused this issue, the Share-to-Web product is pretty old and doesn't appear to be supported anymore, in looking at their website for it the last update is in 2003 and all of the links to drivers/tech support etc are bad links.
But, you should be able to uninstall just this component without affecting the main drivers for your camera/printer/camera/etc. Just go to add/remove programs and Uninstall the Share-to-Web application
All this component is used for is to provide an easy way to upload photos to certain vendor's websites, it looks like most of the other vendors other than hpphoto.com have all discontinued this service. So as long as you aren't loading photos to hpphoto.com you shouldn't have a need for the Share-to-Web software and it can be safely removed so you can put the patch on.
Thanks, I'll give it a try