PDA

View Full Version : Hot Boat members only 71' Chevelle build.

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 11:40 AM
So I have been posting in the "Blowers" section for a few days trying to get some ideas for what to do with a 350 sbc out of a 71' Chevelle Malibu I picked up last week and FLAT BROKE and INFOMANIAC have been steering me in the right direction with it. I am probably going to ship the motor to Ron in OK to get it done in a week or so.
I think it would be cool if all work on this project came from board members and God knows the talent is here. None of this is doner work mind you, I do have a budget for the project as well as a timeline ( I want to have it done by March) So if you would like to get involved I am going to need the following.
Paint ( Car is going to be black with silver metalflake flames)
Tranny and rear end (based on INFOMANIACS and FLAT BROKES specs)
Stereo (me)
Interior (may have the bros at Kachina do it)
and finding source parts, most of it is already there though. The body is in kick ass shape but there are 2 BAD paintjobs caked up on it. I am putting a fiberglass hood and trunk on it to help lighten it up a bit. It has centerlines but they may be going away for something a little more updated.
ANY ideas are more than welcomed as I have never had a project car before, keep in mind this is a street rod and not a restoration so get as crazy as you want idea wise.
Thanks,
Kenny

ROZ
12-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Make sure to put a big alternator on it :cool:
just thinking stereo :D

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 11:57 AM
You might call Clay at OPM Customs in Arizona. He is a boater on the forum (skeepwerkzaz) does this for a living, is my brother, and can really steer you in the right direction with regard to sourcing for brakes, wheels, etc...
He is doing all first gen Camaros.

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Make sure to put a big alternator on it :cool:
just thinking stereo :D
Yup, back to RB in Parker, he's the man!

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 12:04 PM
You might call Clay at OPM Customs in Arizona. He is a boater on the forum (skeepwerkzaz) does this for a living, is my brother, and can really steer you in the right direction with regard to sourcing for brakes, wheels, etc...
He is doing all first gen Camaros.
Yeah, according to Flat Broke I need to definitely get at least a frt brake upgrade.
Now go work on your boat Wes!

ahhell
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
is Classic Industries in Huntington Beach...think twice about the fiberglass hood...mine cracked, and they shake like a sombitch, they steel one is only 50-60 lbs more!

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 12:44 PM
is Classic Industries in Huntington Beach...think twice about the fiberglass hood...mine cracked, and they shake like a sombitch, they steel one is only 50-60 lbs more!
But but but... it's soooo cool!

1stepcloser
12-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Excellent source for A body parts is Original Parts Group (http://www.opgi.com/) (OPG) They have all the interior, exterior and trim stuff you could possibly need.

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Excellent source for A body parts is Original Parts Group (http://www.opgi.com/) (OPG) They have all the interior, exterior and trim stuff you could possibly need.
GREAT LINK!!! Thanks!!!

ahhell
12-04-2004, 01:24 PM
well if you want fiberglass this place has decent prices...got a 3 inch cowl induction scoop for 60 bucks!!!
http://www.up22.com/

ColeTR1
12-04-2004, 02:05 PM
350 sbc out of a 71' Chevelle Malibu
Kenny
You have a car that was design for a big block and is easy to put one in to. I would put a Big Block in it like a 454 with a Turbo 400 and a Ford 9”rear end. I have a 67 Nova with a sbc in it, small blocks are OK but once you have driven a street car with a big block in it WOW!! A Chevelle is a heavy car keep the steel on it and spend the money on a BBC. You won’t regret it!!

BoatPI
12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Mopar or No car. The GTX is finally painted and engine is going to shop for some HP (440).

wsuwrhr
12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
You have a car that was design for a big block and is easy to put one in to. I would put a Big Block in it like a 454 with a Turbo 400 and a Ford 9”rear end. I have a 67 Nova with a sbc in it, small blocks are OK but once you have driven a street car with a big block in it WOW!! A Chevelle is a heavy car keep the steel on it and spend the money on a BBC. You won’t regret it!!
I couldn't agree more, I say sell the small block.
A buddy in high school used to have a REAL SS454 Chevelle, that car was fun.
Plenty of room in that beast.
Brian

wsuwrhr
12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Mopar or No car. The GTX is finally painted and engine is going to shop for some HP (440).
Pics pal, pics
Brian

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 06:32 PM
???

Havasu Hangin'
12-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Small Block 454.
I think Info could squeeze 800HP or so out of it...no problem!
:D

Kwicherbichen
12-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I will provide my services as "Test Driver" :wink:

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Well I know what you are saying but I am trying to keep this all in perspective. Though all work will be hero quality I really want to stay on budget and on timeline. Infomaniac I'm sure can get what i need (425hp) out of this block provided the doner block is in good enough shape. I am pretty sure I will be adding new heads though I'm not sure what kind and some sick pistons, rods and crank to hold up under the nitrous setup. It will be good for jammin around PHX or LHC with quick shots of N2O to shut up the nay sayers ( 575 hp on demand ) I already have figured out ways to drop 400lbs from the car which will help out also.
BBC's yup , love em hell I have one in my boat but I am sticking with what I have and maximizing it's potential.

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
I will provide my services as "Test Driver" :wink:
You may wanna think about that before you volunteer. No guarantee we wont wind up as crash test dummies! :sqeyes:

Sleek-Jet
12-04-2004, 06:43 PM
A small block Chevelle will be a serious sleeper, everyone expects a big block under the hood. Like we've said in the other thread, that kind of HP from a mouse motor these days is pretty easy.
Sounds like you've got a good plan. :clover:

rrrr
12-04-2004, 06:44 PM
BBC's yup , love em hell I have one in my boat but I am sticking with what I have and maximizing it's potential.
Heck ya! Part of the fun is being different.... Info will put a stout valvetrain in that mouse motor and it will scream. RPM, babee.... :D
I have a friend living in North PHX that just finished a '72 Chevelle, so he prolly has good local sources for stuff. I'll check it out and let you know.

KACHINA KEN
12-04-2004, 07:17 PM
And who knows the weight difference between a bbc and a sbc?? more then 150lbs??? That would mean I have shaved 550lbs so far :p

uvindex
12-04-2004, 07:31 PM
And who knows the weight difference between a bbc and a sbc?? more then 150lbs??? That would mean I have shaved 550lbs so far :pI don't, but here's one source that says the difference is 110lbs. :) http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html
Good luck with your project!
A former owner of a '69 Chevelle...

TRG
12-04-2004, 07:33 PM
if you go the fiberglass route, i would say reinforce them both the only reason i say to , is because i have a glass hood on my 69' camaro and it's bow'ed to the point of no return! it's just the nature of the beast, i have a BBC under the hood and it does generate some heat,...now add a light lay-up hood on it and vwa-la...you now have a bow'ed hood!
i know that classic ind. sells hood supports but there are quite a few ways that you can strengthen them up with out installing big ol bulky looking chrome bars under there!

thom
12-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Just my 2 cents.. but i love the look of centerlines on a chevelle.. They look classic! have you thought of dropping a 327 in there.. I love the 327. i had an old camarro with a 327 that would just flat out go.
It has centerlines but they may be going away for something a little more updated.
Thanks,
Kenny[/QUOTE]

rrrr
12-04-2004, 08:50 PM
have you thought of dropping a 327 in there.. I love the 327. i had an old camarro with a 327 that would just flat out go.
Why can't people read? I think KK made it quite plain that the engine presently in the car was going to be reused. No big block. No 327. There is a budget.
If you can't offer suggestions that fit the guy's plans, why even bother posting? A friend of mine posted a thread on another board I hang out at. He wanted some advice about choosing between a Toyota and a Nissan small SUV. So the replies? "Buy a Denali". Buy a Land Cruiser". Buy an Expedition". Buy a Durango". F*ck, get a clue. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thom
12-05-2004, 12:40 AM
:rolleyes: Why can't people read? I think KK made it quite plain that the engine presently in the car was going to be reused. No big block. No 327. There is a budget.
If you can't offer suggestions that fit the guy's plans, why even bother posting? A friend of mine posted a thread on another board I hang out at. He wanted some advice about choosing between a Toyota and a Nissan small SUV. So the replies? "Buy a Denali". Buy a Land Cruiser". Buy an Expedition". Buy a Durango". F*ck, get a clue. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
holy cow ..relax it was just a side comment..

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 01:15 AM
It's cool guys, like i said all comments are welcome. I am staying with the 350 thats in it unless it's determined not to be a good doner block then we will look at something different. I am more concerned with heads at the moment, WAY to much information that I don't understand. i am sure I will be an official gearhead by the end of it all but if you want to give yourself a headache just start looking for heads online, you will be swimming in about 15 minutes GEEEZZZ.

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Paint??? Anyone???
Black with 3/4 silver metalflake flame job

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Paint??? Anyone???
Black with 3/4 silver metalflake flame job
I don't know what your plans are, but Billy B from the forums does awesome work.
Brian

ColeTR1
12-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Why can't people read? I think KK made it quite plain that the engine presently in the car was going to be reused. No big block. No 327. There is a budget.
RRR KACHINA KEN started this post by saying in so many words that he is building a drag car not an SUV!!! I’m just trying to keep him for making a big mistake right out of the gate. Fiberglass Hood, N.O.S., new pistons, crank, rods, heads, because he wants to save 300 bucks on a block! Ones he buys all that stuff which cost the same for a BBC he will be married to it. Maybe you should go to the strip and see how many cars are running SBC. None!!! I have made the same mistakes. So if you want do go fast don’t throw good money at a sbc because you have a block. RRR you’re the one that has no F*cking clue!! :rolleyes:

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:00 PM
RRR KACHINA KEN started this post by saying in so many words that he is building a drag car not an SUV!!! I’m just trying to keep him for making a big mistake right out of the gate. Fiberglass Hood, N.O.S., new pistons, crank, rods, heads, because he wants to save 300 bucks on a block! Ones he buys all that stuff which cost the same for a BBC he will be married to it. Maybe you should go to the strip and see how many cars are running SBC. None!!! I have made the same mistakes. So if you want do go fast don’t throw good money at a sbc because you have a block.
I tried to say the same thing, trying to save a few bucks in a build. Sell the parts you don't want to recoop the cost. That is one good thing about Chevys, popular enough you don't need to sit on parts.
But I wasn't about to start a small block vs. big block deal. Torque rules. Deal with it and move on.
Could a small block beat a big block, sure it can, could a big block beat a small block, sure it can. As equal as you can make a big vs. a small block contest, no small block will out-torque a big block.
I quit using small blocks, you will only find one left in a car of mine that isn't able to hold a big block.
Torque is what moves mass.
I still say that car is better suited to a 454. Been there done that. SS454 was a nice ride.
Brian
Info, chime in here, I am curious what your opinons are.

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 08:19 PM
All are good ideas, thanks for all of them (please play nice with each other though) All these things are going to be considered, complete costs vs HP and torque and all that. I would LIKE to use what I have, to be honest I wasn't even looking to buy a project car it just presented itself to me so I jumped in.
This car is strictly for fun, it will NEVER see a strip, I'm not into that. I just want something to romp around Tempe/Scottsdale that isn't my 2500 diesel truck. My truck is bad ass but it's for towing my boat and carrying some gear around for work ( enough to write it off anyhow).
When I was 17 my first car was a 74 Nova hatchback, it was one of a few that was made with a floor shift automatic. I never had the cash to do anything with it after I went into the Army and ultimately it was wrecked by someone hitting me. I wound up getiing a little money for it and bought a little Nissan hardbody the first year they came out. I haven't really had any cool American cars since unless you count my Plymouth Laser turbo and my Dodge Stealth but both of those are partially Jap so they don't really count.
All I wanna do is this.
425 HP or better
NITROUS kit for sure
sick stereo
Full blackout paint with 3/4 silver metalflake flamejob
ladder and sway bars
racing buckets with harness
1/2 roll cage
Fiberglass bumpers , hood and trunk ( saves 400 lbs)
pretty simple huh? I know I can get this done by March. With ya'lls help that is.

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 08:21 PM
But as for the BBC question. If INFOMANIAC rips into this doner as says all the components are junk then if it's a question of $500 bucks or less then hell yeah we will probably go with something like that.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I would like to add that you won't be saving much money, if any, by building a small block versus a big block. The OEM block, crank, and heads, if you are using OEM peices, may be a little more initial money to aquire, but every other part is about the same price. Since you were trying to keep it in the ***boat family, I am certain you can find your hard parts right here from the boating crowd.
A rod is a rod, a manifold is a manifold, distributor, springs, oil pan, valve covers, and so on, aren't much difference there.
Whacking the throttle on a big block, priceless.
I love driving my 440 Motorhome.
Think about it, compare some prices, you'll find I am not full of shit.
Brian

rrrr
12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
RRR KACHINA KEN started this post by saying in so many words that he is building a drag car not an SUV!!! I’m just trying to keep him for making a big mistake right out of the gate. Fiberglass Hood, N.O.S., new pistons, crank, rods, heads, because he wants to save 300 bucks on a block! Ones he buys all that stuff which cost the same for a BBC he will be married to it. Maybe you should go to the strip and see how many cars are running SBC. None!!! I have made the same mistakes. So if you want do go fast don’t throw good money at a sbc because you have a block. RRR you’re the one that has no F*cking clue!! :rolleyes:
Gee, I must have missed the part where he said he wanted to go fast and take the car to the strip. :notam:
He made it pretty obvious that he wants to build a street sleeper for the Saturday night wars. But hey, instead of building a "me too" BBC, he wants to go down a different road. If you weren't so stupid you might have caught on.
Did you consider he chose to do a small block build because BBC's are a dime a dozen? Are you saying a SBC can't be fast? Sounds like you're the one without a clue. As for "building a drag car not an SUV", your reading comprehension needs some work. If the guy chooses to do something different and asks for specific advice, then you're the dumbf uck to offer advice that is totally contrary. Watch this:
Hey Ken, the Chevelle is a nice car, but the slope of the back window makes it hard to avoid a blind spot while driving. You should cut the roof off and weld on the roof from a 1986 Chrysler K car. That way you can change lanes without having to turn your head.
Assclown.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Gee, I must have missed the part where he said he wanted to go fast and take the car to the strip. :notam:
He made it pretty obvious that he wants to build a street sleeper for the Saturday night wars. But hey, instead of building a "me too" BBC, he wants to go down a different road. If you weren't so stupid you might have caught on.
Did you consider he chose to do a small block build because BBC's are a dime a dozen? Are you saying a SBC can't be fast? Sounds like you're the one without a clue. As for "building a drag car not an SUV", your reading comprehension needs some work. If the guy chooses to do something different and asks for specific advice, then you're the dumbf uck to offer advice that is totally contrary.
What is with the hostility? I was just trying to give the guy any information to help him make the decision, since he was asking for opinions.
As far as I read,he was using a small block because when he opened the hood for the first time, a small block is what he saw.
Brian

rrrr
12-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Alright, flame off.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Alright, flame off.
Cool dude, this is what the board is all about.
Brian

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 11:27 PM
How about some common ground, you both like Chevy right? :idea:

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Cool dude, this is what the board is all about.
Brian
I will probably need one of your kick ass 15lb bottle holders too.

rrrr
12-05-2004, 11:30 PM
How about some common ground, you both like Chevy right? :idea:
No, dammit! Gotta be a Ford!!!!
http://www.harm.net/gallery/rrrr/fe.jpg
J/K :D :D

Bad2DBone
12-06-2004, 04:07 AM
if you want a glass hood and trunk then I would also look at Glasstek.
Glasstek (http://www.glasstek.com/)
I have one of their units and it is second to none. It is re-enforced and it a sturdy piece.
While your at it pick up some glass fenders too or maybe a glass front clip.
How much is the budget? Will it see street duty? Will it be trailored to the track? What are your ET goals? If it's a race only then I would leave out stereo equipment as amps and speakers will put on that 400lbs you just shaved off.
Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go.

ColeTR1
12-06-2004, 06:10 AM
We know once you start a project like this it is like pulling a thread on a sweater where do you stop? Most of us don’t. I under stand you have a budget and want to get this done in a timely manner. The drive train is the most important thing when building a muscle car. It also is the most expensive thing and the hardest thing to redo. Your going to spend money on getting your block checked out and if it’s not OK than that money is gone. Been there done that! If you’re building something to take to a cruse night and turn heads even that much more reason to go big block. Every Malibu you see has a small block in it. The reason every Malibu you see has a small block in it is, everyone thinks it’s a big deal to switch. Its not everything bolts in, you don’t even have to change the motor mounts. With the list you have it sounds like you want it to perform. I have to ask if the car is never going to the strip why are you spending money on stuff like ladder bars, racing buckets with harness, 1/2 roll cage Fiberglass bumpers hood and trunk. One thing about Fiberglass If you want the car to look great it will never happen, light weight Fiberglass will always have waves in it. My Small Bock Nova runs 12:30 at 109 with N.O.S. street tires. And I get my ass handed to me all the time by my friend who has a Malibu that I built a big block for, plus his car is five hundred pounds heavier than mine. The thing that really pisses me off is that he has haft the money I do in his motor and no N.O.S. Good luck with your project. Here is some pictures of my 67 SS Nova
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/738nova1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/738nova2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/73867nova.jpg

Bad2DBone
12-06-2004, 06:29 AM
I wasn't going to say anything but what the hell.... RPM is what hurts engines, trying to turn the riciporcating mass at a high RPM will eventually lead to failure. What is the time line, who knows but one thing is certain. A big block will make more power at a lower , more useable rpm and will usually last longer.
You can turn a big block to 5,500K and make tons of down low power where as a small block would probable need to see at least 6,500 or 7K.
Even a fairly stock big block will make lots of power. plus nothing beats the look of those wide BBC valve covers, besides the hemi valve covers of a 426.

KACHINA KEN
12-06-2004, 09:44 AM
I have to ask if the car is never going to the strip why are you spending money on stuff like ladder bars, racing buckets with harness, 1/2 roll cage Fiberglass bumpers hood and trunk.
Nice pics.
These are all ideas at the moment cole, pretty firm but not 100%. All the discussion is great and it's helping loads. As far as the other things 2 of them are safety related and the other ones are for weight. If I decide to go BBC I wont need to worry so much about weight as much as I will brakes and such. I am calling INFOMANIAC (Ron) in a minute to finally settle this.
Again, swweeeet pics.

KACHINA KEN
12-06-2004, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=Bad2DBone]
How much is the budget? Will it see street duty? Will it be trailored to the track? What are your ET goals? If it's a race only then I would leave out stereo equipment as amps and speakers will put on that 400lbs you just shaved off.
Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go.[/QUOTE
It's all street, it's a toy for me.

Outnumbered
12-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey Ken, the Chevelle is a nice car, but the slope of the back window makes it hard to avoid a blind spot while driving. You should cut the roof off and weld on the roof from a 1986 Chrysler K car. That way you can change lanes without having to turn your head.
Assclown
I'm not taking sides in this flame war but this quote cracked me up. Funny as shit. :D
OL

RiverRatMike
12-06-2004, 11:24 PM
We know once you start a project like this it is like pulling a thread on a sweater where do you stop? Most of us don’t. I under stand you have a budget and want to get this done in a timely manner. The drive train is the most important thing when building a muscle car. It also is the most expensive thing and the hardest thing to redo. Your going to spend money on getting your block checked out and if it’s not OK than that money is gone. Been there done that! If you’re building something to take to a cruse night and turn heads even that much more reason to go big block. Every Malibu you see has a small block in it. The reason every Malibu you see has a small block in it is, everyone thinks it’s a big deal to switch. Its not everything bolts in, you don’t even have to change the motor mounts. With the list you have it sounds like you want it to perform. I have to ask if the car is never going to the strip why are you spending money on stuff like ladder bars, racing buckets with harness, 1/2 roll cage Fiberglass bumpers hood and trunk. One thing about Fiberglass If you want the car to look great it will never happen, light weight Fiberglass will always have waves in it. My Small Bock Nova runs 12:30 at 109 with N.O.S. street tires. And I get my ass handed to me all the time by my friend who has a Malibu that I built a big block for, plus his car is five hundred pounds heavier than mine. The thing that really pisses me off is that he has haft the money I do in his motor and no N.O.S. Good luck with your project. Here is some pictures of my 67 SS Nova
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/738nova1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/738nova2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/73867nova.jpg
WoW! That is a very very sweet ride. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad2DBone
12-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Here is a pic of my engine. It's not downdraft webbers but it get's the job done.
BTW cole, that is a very nice looking set up.
http://home.comcast.net/~bubbastallion/wsb/media/257173/site1099.JPG

boatnam2
12-07-2004, 01:20 AM
kk your a man after my own heart i had a 72 chevelle big block 400 on a trans brake,tubbed, and back halved.all glass except main body.man i loved that car i wish i had it back sold it the first time i blew the engine up in my american offshore.

KACHINA KEN
12-07-2004, 01:44 AM
kk your a man after my own heart i had a 72 chevelle big block 400 on a trans brake,tubbed, and back halved.all glass except main body.man i loved that car i wish i had it back sold it the first time i blew the engine up in my american offshore.
Yeah I learned my lesson too, I sold my Nova and kicked myself in the ass for16 years.

Sleek-Jet
12-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Here is a pic of my engine. It's not downdraft webbers but it get's the job done.
BTW cole, that is a very nice looking set up.
http://home.comcast.net/~bubbastallion/wsb/media/257173/site1099.JPG
Gotta show some love for the Torquer...
I really wish us Olds guys had a decent dual-plane manifold to put on top of the 455. The Performer RPM for the small Olds is awesome on a street motor, but saddly, nothing for the tall blocks... :(

Bad2DBone
12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Gotta show some love for the Torquer...
I really wish us Olds guys had a decent dual-plane manifold to put on top of the 455. The Performer RPM for the small Olds is awesome on a street motor, but saddly, nothing for the tall blocks... :(
I heard that. It would be nice if there was an air gap manifold. But instead of that they came out with a victor that doesn't fit under a stock hood and really doesn't start to work till about 4K rpm and most Olds BB are done by 6K. I belong to an Olds site and one of our members is an engineer for Edelbrock who actually had a hand in getting the Victor out. Lots of guys have asked for a new dual plane but who knows if we will see one. :( So for now most of us use the Torker or an older Offenhauser port-o-sonic.

Sleek-Jet
12-08-2004, 12:15 AM
I've got a Torker on the 455 in my Cutlass. You would think that as much $$$$ and press the Edlebrock has put in their heads for the Olds that they would have developed a good dual-plane. We can only hope I guess...

Bad2DBone
12-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Yeah, it kind of sucks some times. The Torker works fine for me but I'm sure the 3K stall and 4.10s help out too.