PDA

View Full Version : Cops...

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 08:44 PM
I love this show... you really get to see the finer side of society!!!
I'll bet the producers never thought it would take off like it did!

JetBoatRich
12-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Watching it myself tonight :D

jdogginla
12-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Why watch it on tv..........just take a road trip to Beaumont :hammer2:

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Why watch it on tv..........just take a road trip to Beaumont :hammer2:
LMAO>.... :hammerhea

Kilrtoy
12-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Why, Those are some dumbass cops

Eliminator 4 Life
12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
is that the devil or a freak

miller19j
12-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Why, Those are some dumbass copsAren’t all cops dumb? :D :)

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 08:51 PM
These two guys bickering about who's crack pipe it is... hilarious!

ELVIS
12-04-2004, 08:51 PM
I like to watch it as a "what not to do manual" for the next time I'm pulled over. "your mom don't smoke crack? "

Eliminator 4 Life
12-04-2004, 08:53 PM
HA HA Its funny

Kilrtoy
12-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Aren’t all cops dumb? :D :)
Come to think of it, I think they are :D

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 08:54 PM
I like to watch it as a "what not to do manual" for the next time I'm pulled over. "your mom don't smoke crack? "
Good idea....
Th Th Th Thangyouverrrymuch....

JetBoatRich
12-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Nice friend put heroin in his wallet :D I would of asked for the $20

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Unbelievable...

jdogginla
12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Producer died, after he was hiking in the fog and walked right off the side of a cliff! :confused:

JetBoatRich
12-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Producer died, after he was hiking in the fog and walked right off the side of a cliff! :confused:
Really :confused: that sucks

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Really :confused: that sucks
One of the two did... I don't remember which one it was... it used to be Barbour/Langley productions...

jdogginla
12-04-2004, 09:11 PM
One of the two did... I don't remember which one it was... it used to be Barbour/Langley productions...
John Langley did.

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 09:14 PM
I do remember the story, hiking along the coast and ended up going over the cliff on to the rocks below...

Excessive Force
12-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Come to think of it, I think they are
Youd be surprised...not easy to become a cop :D

Eliminator 4 Life
12-04-2004, 09:51 PM
I agree Excessive :D

Kilrtoy
12-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Are you serious, To hold a night stick and beat people
How hard can it be....

C-2
12-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Tonight's shows did have some funny stuff. A guy crying cause he got pulled over??? red flag, red flag (duh)
Good cops, bad cops, just the same as the rest of us, nothing more, nothing less.

KACHINA KEN
12-05-2004, 12:40 AM
He was pushed :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

vdrivenman
12-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Kilrtoy is just trying to stir the pot.
almost ALL law enforcement agencies now require at least 60 hours of college in a related field and if you plan to progress you have to hold a bachelors degree.
if you poll most officers you will find they are far more educated than you think. in Texas as most other states you have to have 40 hours of continued education every two years to keep your license. some of the classes are required like cultural diversity,legislative updates,child abuse & family violence.
others are left to your choosing preferably in your field of expertise.
p/o's spend more time in the class room than you think ! plus in Texas the more education the higher certification which equals higher pay !

Boatcop
12-05-2004, 07:04 AM
I've actually learned a lot from watching the show.
For example:
If you aren't wearing a shirt, and have a mullet. You're going to jail.
Bad guys always run.
Your friends are always leaving THEIR dope in YOUR pocket or in YOUR car.
All cops are required to have a flat-top or crew-cut. (I guess I'm out of uniform :D )

Moneypitt
12-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Why is it the guy with 50 keys of dope in his trunk AGREES to allow a search of his vehicle without the slightest "probable cause". Do they think the cop won't find it? I would think these morons would at least have a little knowledge of what the cops can and can't do. Granted, a warrant will permit the search, but in the real world a judge needs some sort of probable cause to sign the warrant, more than just speeding,(another REALLY stupid thing to do with a trunk full of dope) or fitting a "PROFILE". How many of these searches would be tossed out if the idiots said no? "You want to search my car, officer?"..."What exactly are you looking for?" Okay, you're looking for dope"... "NO, I don't want you searching my car!" "Go get your warrant to look for drugs". If while looking for drugs, you find illegal aliens, your warrant doesn't cover illegal aliens......The 4th amendment is very strict on what the warrant was isssued to find, broad "fishing" searches won't fly.......But, hey, it's TV, at least the dopers are off the street for a while.............MP

coolchange
12-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Watchin the show a while ago I start yellin at my wife, COMERE COMERE!! She come runnin in WHAT WHAT?
Who's that?
She looks at the TV "OMG thats Pattys brother!"
We were rollin!

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:30 AM
I love the shows where the motorcycle rider NEVER gets away.
Amateurs.
Brian

Moneypitt
12-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Brian, we have enough idiots "running" on TV as it is. Imagine the mindset of these idiots if they showed the ones that actually got away. WE know alot of evaders DO get away, especially on a crotch rocket that'll do a buck fifty at the drop of a hat. It's the old "Monkey see, monkey do". Be thankful they don't show the "see ya later" successes...................MP

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Brian, we have enough idiots "running" on TV as it is. Imagine the mindset of these idiots if they showed the ones that actually got away. WE know alot of evaders DO get away, especially on a crotch rocket that'll do a buck fifty at the drop of a hat. It's the old "Monkey see, monkey do". Be thankful they don't show the "see ya later" successes...................MP
I know, but it really sucks when you see one of your own be so stupid on two wheels that you ACTUALLY get caught.
I agree with the scenario of the "lowest common denominator"
Brian

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Kilrtoy is just trying to stir the pot.
almost ALL law enforcement agencies now require at least 60 hours of college in a related field and if you plan to progress you have to hold a bachelors degree.
if you poll most officers you will find they are far more educated than you think. in Texas as most other states you have to have 40 hours of continued education every two years to keep your license. some of the classes are required like cultural diversity,legislative updates,child abuse & family violence.
others are left to your choosing preferably in your field of expertise.
p/o's spend more time in the class room than you think ! plus in Texas the more education the higher certification which equals higher pay !
I am nottrying to stir the pot,
Now them cops is texas scare me.

Boatcop
12-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Why is it the guy with 50 keys of dope in his trunk AGREES to allow a search of his vehicle without the slightest "probable cause". Do they think the cop won't find it? I would think these morons would at least have a little knowledge of what the cops can and can't do. Granted, a warrant will permit the search, but in the real world a judge needs some sort of probable cause to sign the warrant, more than just speeding,(another REALLY stupid thing to do with a trunk full of dope) or fitting a "PROFILE". How many of these searches would be tossed out if the idiots said no? "You want to search my car, officer?"..."What exactly are you looking for?" Okay, you're looking for dope"... "NO, I don't want you searching my car!" "Go get your warrant to look for drugs". If while looking for drugs, you find illegal aliens, your warrant doesn't cover illegal aliens......The 4th amendment is very strict on what the warrant was isssued to find, broad "fishing" searches won't fly.......But, hey, it's TV, at least the dopers are off the street for a while.............MP
The 4th Ammendment and the Supreme Court gives a greater latitude for vehicle searches than it does for, say, residences or other permanently fixed places.
"Profiling" does work, when identifying suspected load vehicles. The guys who work the highways looking for dope are extremely proficient in picking out the dopers. If, through the Officer's training and experience, he can articulate the factors which may identify a drug trafficker, he can bring in a dog to do an exterior sniff of the vehicle, with or without consent of the driver/owner. If the dog alerts on the vehicle, probable casue now exists, and a search would be legal without a warrant or consent.
As far as a warrant strictly for dope and finding illegal immigrants, warrants are writtin in such a fashion to cover almost any illegal activity, such as stating the search is for illegal contraband, rather than limiting the scope to "drugs". Illegal immigrants would fall under the classification of contraband, as would large sums of money, forged paperwork, or even illegally imported reptiles or birds.
But warrants are rarely executed in roadside vehicle searches. The Supreme Court has ruled that because of the mobile nature of vehicles, and the likelyhood that any evidence would be transported from the jurisdiction, the restrictions on searches are less than in other situations.
Also, if the stop and citation is for a criminal offense (Excessive speed, for example) the driver is essentially arrested, and a search, incident to arrest, of the passenger area of the vehicle is authorized. The fact that the driver may be cited and then released is irrelevent. If any contraband is located in the passenger area, the search can be extended to any other portion of the vehilce.
Criminal Law 101. :D

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 11:21 AM
The 4th Ammendment and the Supreme Court gives a greater latitude for vehicle searches than it does for, say, residences or other permanently fixed places.
"Profiling" does work, when identifying suspected load vehicles. The guys who work the highways looking for dope are extremely proficient in picking out the dopers. If, through the Officer's training and experience, he can articulate the factors which may identify a drug trafficker, he can bring in a dog to do an exterior sniff of the vehicle, with or without consent of the driver/owner. If the dog alerts on the vehicle, probable casue now exists, and a search would be legal without a warrant or consent.
As far as a warrant strictly for dope and finding illegal immigrants, warrants are writtin in such a fashion to cover almost any illegal activity, such as stating the search is for illegal contraband, rather than limiting the scope to "drugs". Illegal immigrants would fall under the classification of contraband, as would large sums of money, forged paperwork, or even illegally imported reptiles or birds.
But warrants are rarely executed in roadside vehicle searches. The Supreme Court has ruled that because of the mobile nature of vehicles, and the likelyhood that any evidence would be transported from the jurisdiction, the restrictions on searches are less than in other situations.
Also, if the stop and citation is for a criminal offense (Excessive speed, for example) the driver is essentially arrested, and a search, incident to arrest, of the passenger area of the vehicle is authorized. The fact that the driver may be cited and then released is irrelevent. If any contraband is located in the passenger area, the search can be extended to any other portion of the vehilce.
Criminal Law 101. :D
pretty much the way it works. Carry it in your car, you are going to be hatin it.
Brian

Moneypitt
12-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Once again Boatcop tells it like it is. ...............MP

PHOTOGLOU
12-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Are you serious, To hold a night stick and beat people
How hard can it be....
Don't they have to drive too?

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Don't they have to drive too?
Who drives a car, I dont drive, my wife wont let me.....

Flyinbowtie
12-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Boatcop's take on this is dead on the money, at the moment.
The courts change the state of the art on search seizure law so frequently that we train monthly on case law as it comes down the pike, and geat a 3 day yearly update on case law decisons.
I've written, ahhh, a number of dope warrants, and at the moment, there is a "reasonable" standard that, in essence, says that if you are authorized to look for something that could fit in a thimble, then you can look in the thimble for it. If your search warrant authorizes you to look for a person, you can't look in a shoebox, beacause people don't fit in shoeboxes. This is how it is done in northern Ca. Things are different everywhere depending upon local judges and the ever-changing appeallate court decsions.
Profiling is an art form generated by documenting successful previous stops. Traffic stops, are a wonderful thing.
Dopers and your everday crook generally have a warrant or two out for their arrest. Once you've stopped them in thier vehicle on the public street, or an area posted as subject to the Vehicle Code, and then arrested them upon confirming the warrant, You have the opportunity to tow and store their car. Most agencies have policy that states that when an officer tows and stores a car, an inventory search of the entire vehicle is required. Evidence of a crime found during this process is admissable.
As for the TV show Cops, my agency, as a general rule, finds it a great training tool that demonstrates how not to do law enforcement work. I don't want to pick on any agency or region of the country, but the majority of the stuff on that show demonstrates techniques, tactics, and training that are way out of touch with state of the art police work., period. Much of the stuff that happens on those shows happens because some cop has a TV camera in his face.
TV shows in general have had little success in documenting professional law enforcement work, with a couple of rare exceptions. These shows have done alot to make people think that cops are all heavy handed, hambfisted uneducated jerks, to put it mildly.
Another media-created stereotype that just doesn't work.
To be sure, we have some bad apples in the biz, but we are working hard to get rid of them, and working hard to create a hiring and training process that wil prevent them from getting through the door in the first place. Nobody despises a less than professional peace officer than those who are out there trying to do it the right way.

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 02:55 PM
TV shows in general have had little success in documenting professional law enforcement work, with a couple of rare exceptions. These shows have done alot to make people think that cops are all heavy handed, hambfisted uneducated jerks, to put it mildly.
LAPD,
Life on the beat
was an awesome show......
It still plays on the spanish channel, even though I cant understand what they are saying,
but then again, almost noone in L.A. Speaks english anyways

Flyinbowtie
12-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Kilr,
Never seen that one, and I hear ya about the language barrier thing... :)
My favorite was always Hill Street Blues. The cops were real people, warts and all.
Right now, Reno 911 is funnier than hell.
I do wish, however that somebody would teach all of these TV and movie actor types how to wear a Sam Browne (duty belt). Whoever the "Technical Advisor" types are on most of these shows could at least make the damn leather gear look like it is being worn by somebody who knows how to use it, and has worn it while driving a car with it on for years.
I haven't seen or worked with undercover cop wearing a shoulder holster in years, let alone a leather one....

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 03:07 PM
It was a show about the LAPD , just like cops, it was some cool shit everynight for 2 maybe 3 years .......
best real life cop show ever, it made COPS, the TV show, look like RENO 911

Flyinbowtie
12-05-2004, 03:19 PM
LAPD can use all the good PR they can get, the poor bastards are always on the mat for something.
Back in the riots, my agency got deployed down there on a statwide OES mutual aid alert. Myself and 9 other SWAT certified cops from our dept. spent 3 lovely days in the Florence/Olympic area. Worked out of Rampart.
Since I grew up in SoCal, I wasn't that surprised by things, and knew my way around. Several of our team had never been to SoCal, and the first thing they saw from the Nat'l. Guard C-130 that was flying us to Los Alamitos NAS were the fires burning everywhere. We landed after dark, so it was pretty intense.
Got some good stories from that trip, they'll have to wait for a face to face meeting. We are going to try to come down and hit Havasu next April, if my back health improves. The cold up here is killin' me...
Gotta go ....

LOWRIVER2
12-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Life on the beat was good because the film crew/producers were all LAPD civilians. In house works.
For up to date Ca. legal info., check out The law Enforcement Legal Reporter, most up to date info. on everything from T/stops to search/seizure. It gives very up to date appellate court rulings and incorporates how the rulings apply to street work.
Hell, Metro just got tasked with re training all of LAPD in Mobile Field Force and Immediate Action/Rapid Deployment tactics. We now have to call the "citizen rescue" a "tactical rescue" and the IARD a "tactical deployment" per the PC folks at POST. It never ends/lol.
And Alan, you forgot, crew cuts are out, bald is in. We blame it on the smog out here/lol.

Dr. Eagle
12-05-2004, 08:01 PM
I've actually learned a lot from watching the show.
For example:
If you aren't wearing a shirt, and have a mullet. You're going to jail.
Bad guys always run.
Your friends are always leaving THEIR dope in YOUR pocket or in YOUR car.
All cops are required to have a flat-top or crew-cut. (I guess I'm out of uniform :D )
Yeah... I picked up most of those lessons too...
Ever notice how often they get dispatched to the trailer park? (not tonight)...

IN2MX
12-05-2004, 08:47 PM
I really liked "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol".......Was sad to see it go. :(

slink
12-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Life on the beat was good because the film crew/producers were all LAPD civilians. In house works.
For up to date Ca. legal info., check out The law Enforcement Legal Reporter, most up to date info. on everything from T/stops to search/seizure. It gives very up to date appellate court rulings and incorporates how the rulings apply to street work.
Hell, Metro just got tasked with re training all of LAPD in Mobile Field Force and Immediate Action/Rapid Deployment tactics. We now have to call the "citizen rescue" a "tactical rescue" and the IARD a "tactical deployment" per the PC folks at POST. It never ends/lol.
And Alan, you forgot, crew cuts are out, bald is in. We blame it on the smog out here/lol.
LR2, would that include the proper use of rubber flashlights? BTW what the h e l l is ex-chief Parks trying to do to you guys?

SHOTKALLIN
12-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Andy Griffith was the best cop show ever made. Andy and Barney's highly trained law enforcement techniques made Mayberry the safest city in America.

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 09:13 PM
LR2, would that include the proper use of rubber flashlights? BTW what the h e l l is ex-chief Parks trying to do to you guys?
He is trying to RUIN THE CITY,he already ruined the LAPD

Excessive Force
12-05-2004, 09:13 PM
I really liked "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol".......Was sad to see it go.
Thats because they ran out of all CHP stories to show! Im surprised they had enough to start a show over. :notam:

Dr. Eagle
12-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Thats because they ran out of all CHP stories to show! Im surprised they had enough to start a show over. :notam:
Yep and Maurice Hannigan (sp) was trying to keep his daughter out of jail... not to mention the state ran out of hair gel...

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
DONT MAKE FUN OF THE CHP
We all know it stands for
C an't
H andle
P olice-work
and I kinda like the baby blue bow ties

IN2MX
12-05-2004, 10:22 PM
DONT MAKE FUN OF THE CHP
We all know it stands for
C an't
H andle
P olice-work
and I kinda like the baby blue bow ties
They go good with the Bow tie on the front of the Camaro's!!

PHOTOGLOU
12-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Who drives a car, I dont drive, my wife wont let me.....
OK maybe thats why you liked ford so much you never drove TIL THE CHEVY then you bought 2

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 11:00 PM
I just drove it cuz the wife was scared , it was raining.
Ask your guy when he delivered it, she ran out jump in and took off.
I didnt even know what color the damn thing was.
So how was your weekend Jay....

LOWRIVER2
12-06-2004, 11:00 AM
There's a lot of history on how Parks turned into the nut job he is.
Most of it stems from when the Dept. tried to butt ram him when he was the Lt. in charge of SIS in the 70's. He's had a hard on against the dept. ever since. A thousand cops left during his tenure either by lateral transfer or firings (50% of all fired cops under Parks got their job back after their cases were heard in Superior court, go figure).
It's been a LOT better the last 2.5 yrs. under Bratton, but he's not the best thing since sliced bread either. He's just a good politician as any modern chief must be.
Parks' whole deal now is that all of LAPD works a 3/12 which is a lie. 3 of 7 shifts in patrol at each of the 18 divisions are 3/12. The other 4 shifts (ie:majority) are on 4/10,9/80 or 5/8.
Metro uses 4/10 for B/C/K-9 platoons and 9/80 for SWAT/Mounted. All det. units are 4/10.
Luckily, based on current politics, there's no way he'll make mayor. It's down to Hahn or Villaragosa.
The funniest thing with Parks now is watching LA councilman Dennis Zine (retired LAPD Sgt.) trade barbs with him in the paper.
And to know Parks' insanity: He said in an interview that before each promotional test, he would purchase the rank patch and he and his family would pray in front of the patch for good luck on the test. That says enough about his sanity IMO: he's a nut job, period.
Funny thing too: he always came down harder on black officers for discipline to try to look like he did'nt favor races, so he has no supporter on my dept.