PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible ?????

Hallett19
02-26-2002, 10:09 AM
OK, has anyone heard of Ben Alameda ?? If you havent, he is probably one of the most amazing cylinder head artist (he is that good to be considered an ARTIST), his motto on his shirts is "power....its all in your head",as well as an engine builder. He has a 351 yates motor that turns 9800 rpms and ran a tube chasis mustang to 8.90s at almost 150mph in the quarter. So he tells me that my HV Melling oil pump, at high RPM's is sucking out so much oil, it is starving the motor, causing my lifters to colapse and performance to shit and oil pressure to drop. IS THIS POSSIBLE ??!?!if so, would putting MORE oil in it possibly fix this ? I know I sound like a broken record with this proplem, but this sounds to me like a possibility !

Hustler
02-26-2002, 10:18 AM
How big is you Pan? It is very possible for your engine to to what ben is saying, we use to race him down at brother hood when it was still open, very nice guy and I dont he tries to BS his customers.
Hustler

Hallett19
02-26-2002, 10:22 AM
just a regular sized pan, it takes 6 quarts when I change the oil. I have a windage tray, but I don't think that makes a difference. Do I need a new pan or a lower volume oil pump ? oh, and it did not have this problem at first, it took about a month for it to develop. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif I am lost !!!!

Hustler
02-26-2002, 10:46 AM
It does sound kinda strange but I would definitly put at least a 10qt pan on there, specialy of you do not run a oil cooler. When was the last ime you changed your oil?
Hustler

superdave013
02-26-2002, 11:47 AM
That is a pretty common thing that happens to engines that have no upper oil restriction and a stock pan. Remember in a car you would never run it at that high of an rpm for that long. It's pumping the oil to the top faster than it's draining back down.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited February 26, 2002).]

boatnam2
02-26-2002, 12:43 PM
he use to always run his car at terminal island a few years back .the guy that built my drag car motor says he knows his shit.

Hustler
02-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Terminal Island....AKA Brotha Hood http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Hustler

Hallett19
02-26-2002, 01:31 PM
I change the oil every 3 or 4 times I go out, it is always clear when I change it, so this sounds like a viable thing then !! this is good !! Now, is there an easy fix or what? what if I put like and extra quart or so in it, or is that just way to ghetto ? and also, this could not have wiped out the bottom end by starving it of oil, could it have ?!?!?! or would thinner oil maybe work to help drain faster, damn, I am going to get in trouble for asking so many questions....wheewww

flat broke
02-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19:
what if I put like and extra quart or so in it, or is that just way to ghetto ? and also, this could not have wiped out the bottom end by starving it of oil, could it have ?!?!?! or would thinner oil maybe work to help drain faster, damn, I am going to get in trouble for asking so many questions....wheewww
Hallet,
DO NOT ADD MORE OIL than your motor has capacity to hold. It's called a 6 quart pan for a reason. Add more oil and you'll have the crank sloshing whipping it up and eating up HP, and worse, possibly a blown seal. If you want to run more oil, run a bigger pan.
As long as you held 10 psi for every 1000rpm you're probably alright, anything lower and you're rolling the dice.
As far as thinner oil to help it drain faster... not going to work. You'll lower your initial pressure which in return will leave you in worse shape once your pressure drop comes into play.
Hope that helps,
Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

canuck1
02-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Hallet
A HV pump with a small pan in a boat is a bad move. You will pump the pan dry or to the point where you will suck in air. If your pressure is dropping at higher rpm the most likely reason is running out of oil. You can over-fill the pan we do it on our wet sump stock cars but this is only a band aid solution that causes problems at lower rpm. And yes you could have hurt your bottom end, pop a cap and check it, replace you pump with a high pressure unit not high volume its worked for me for years

Hallett19
02-26-2002, 02:41 PM
ok, I will try it, hope it works. (I don't want to have to pull the damn motor!!)Shit, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.Does anyone have a big pan for this thing ?

77charger
02-26-2002, 04:53 PM
i have a 14 qt in my bbf do not know what kind but the pick up is in the front no oil starvation even with tht hv pump.

02-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Hallet19, not only its possible to pump the pan dry its the first thing I'd look at for an oil pressure problem. The smallest pan I would run would be a 10 qt. for any boat use. Dooley makes a nice 10 qt. pan for BBF/jetboat, it should include a rear p/u and a windage tray. A very good investment.

MellowYelloW
02-26-2002, 07:06 PM
hey h19....My yellow jet does the same thing...drops at high rpms...i have a milodon 10qt pan..windage trays..hv pump..a engine builder told me that in his race boat he runs penzoil 25-50 oil..he said that the oil is airiating at high rpm...and that the 25-50 will not break down like that...so thats what i am gonna try.
good luck..
did you get my e-mail?

Brendella
02-26-2002, 09:20 PM
BEN ALEMEDA KNOWS HIS STUFF HE HAS BEEN IN TRUCKING MAG AND SOME HOT ROD ARTLCES FOR DOING SOME AMAZING TRICKS TO HEADS. HE SPECIALIZES IN FORDS. HE IS VERY TALENTED PERSON AND I WILL HAVE MY HEADS DONE BY HIM AS SOON AS I CAN AFFORD IT. BOTTUM WORD IS WHEN HE SPEAKS YOU SHOULD LISTEN.
I HAVEN'T HAD WORK DONE BY HIM YET BUT THAT GUY ANSWERED THREE HOURS OF ??? AND HE TOLD ME THAT IF THE PROBLEM THAT I HAD WITH ANOTHER ENGINE BUILDER HAD HAPPEN TO HIM, HE WOULD HAVE FIX THE PROBLEM BECAUSE HIS REP IS MORE IMPORTANT.SOME OF YOU FROM THE CASTAIC CREW MIGHT REMEMBER.
GO TO HIS SHOP AT NIGHT SINCE HE ONLY WORKS AT NIGHT AND CHECK OUT THE ENGINES HE HAS LINED UP.
I DID'NT WANT TO LEAVE,BUT HAD TO SINCE I WAS DROOLING ALL OVER THE ENGINES HE HAD THERE.

Hallett19
02-26-2002, 09:55 PM
yeah, I am over at Bennies about once a week, he has some AMAZING motors there, and he is a good guy, he picked all the parts for my boat, told me what cam to run and put my heads together with double valve springs and did most of the assembly. But I came to a conclusion here, I am going to go to the lake, warm up my motor, run it for a bit, drop in an extra quart of oil and hit it hard, right near the dock, if it does not hold PSI at 4500 rpm's, which is about where the fun ends, a new pan it is, but if it keeps droping PSI, I probably have another problem,wouldnt you think ?. My next question is, anybody want to put some money on this that it WILL fix the problem ? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Hallett19
02-26-2002, 10:10 PM
ok, hold on, I got confused, if it holds RPM's, I am going to get a new pan, because it has extra oil and having a bigger pan should work, but if it DOES NOT hold PSI, it is probably another problem, but I think it will fix it !!

Hallett19
02-27-2002, 11:46 AM
ok, did I lose everybody on this ?? so forget what I said, if I put this extra oil in there and it holds PSI at high rpms, that means it is loosing oil at high R's... right ? so that means a new oil pan will fix it no problem, right ?? SOMEONE ANSWER ME !!! (echo)