PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Sheet Metal TRs for Ford

Jake W2
12-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Does any one know where to get a sheet metal tunnel Ram for a 460 Ford.
One that I can put a Mecanical inj Hat on?
Oyea this is for my JETBOAT.
Jake

Squirtin Thunder
12-05-2004, 08:22 PM
I would just like a Tunnel Ram for a BBF (Big Bad Ford) !!!

BlownNitro540
12-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Hogan's Racing Manifolds (http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/)

Squirtin Thunder
12-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Holly Smokes very nice but not in my budjet. I am having a hard time coming up with less than 10% of that;
V-8 Manifolds
Single Carb w/Raised Top $2300
Dual Carb w/Flat Top $2500
Dual Carb Raised Top $2500
E.F.I. (Single Throttle Body) $2600
E.F.I. (Dual Throttle Body) $2500
Mech. F.I. (Birdcatcher) $3200
Cross Ram Dual Carb $2900
Vertical Plenum $2500

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Jake
You're a nut, you are talking about a $3000 intake with no carbs.
Brian

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Sure makes some nice parts though.
You got to love someone who can weld aluminum like that.
Brian

steelcomp
12-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Jake
WTF...you jus win the lotto??? :2purples: :confused: :confused:
If you're going to run an injection hat you really don't need a sheetmetal manifold. Just run a Weiand and you'll be fine. I think there's one on ebay with the box for the hat all ready on it.

steelcomp
12-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Just checked ebay...sorry. It's for TFS heads.

revndave
12-05-2004, 09:22 PM
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7938568576&category=36474

revndave
12-05-2004, 09:24 PM
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4509142091&category=34198

sanger mike
12-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Jake
jake, ask lakesonly he's always hanging out on the ford forums :rollside:

steelcomp
12-05-2004, 09:32 PM
http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/f4/67/4b_2.JPG
Now THAT'S an interesting piece. I wonder what that manifold is for? (I know it's for a 429/460, ok!) It almost looks like a modified version of their blower manifold. Hell. that manifold would go for darn near where the bidding is at now. That set up won't be cheap!! :coffeycup :coffeycup

Jake W2
12-05-2004, 09:33 PM
I guess I would have to be crazy to buy a sheet metal TR for want a blower cost.
Hears my problem with the Ford TR (cast) they look like crap.
Only cast TR that looks nice is a Victor and it is only made for a dam Chevy.
I should have keep my single offey TR and cut off the top and made a plate for the hat.They are about the best looking TR for a Ford.
I was thinking a grand would get one I guess I was way off. :p
I saw a hat a while back with the pills and injector lines gas or alky for 500 I should have jumped on it.
Jake

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I guess I would have to be crazy to buy a sheet metal TR for want a blower cost.
I should have keep my single offey TR and cut off the top and made a plate for the hat.They are about the best looking TR for a Ford.
I was thinking a grand would get one I guess I was way off. :p
I saw a hat a while back with the pills and injector lines gas or alky for 500 I should have jumped on it.
Jake
I have never seen a sheetmetal intake for less than two grand, I even toyed with the idea of making my own for the Dodge.
Brian

Jake W2
12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
The first link Revndave posted is the look I want but I am sure I do not have the TFS heads.
Jake

Jake W2
12-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Brian I talked to a guy in Kansas that runs one on a chevy with a single dominator on it and I think he paid 1200 or 1300 for it.He races a boat called No Joke.
Jake

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Brian I talked to a guy in Kansas that runs one on a chevy with a single dominator on it and I think he paid 1200 or 1300 for it.He races a boat called No Joke.
Jake
One problem pal, its a Chevy.
One problem with running a non-Chevy. I have the same problem with Dodges, that is why I make alot of my own parts.
Was it used? 1200 sounds like a deal if it worked worth a shit. That is the other problem you have, it has to work too.
I could do you up a top if that is the only problem.
Brian

Jake W2
12-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Brian that is probely the route I will end up going a poor looking cast one and have the top made.Would you need a top from a cast one or would you make a whole top?
And Randy or No Jokes SM TR was new ,Duane knows this guy well so mabey he can tell us how much he paid for it.
Jake

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Brian that is probely the route I will end up going a poor looking cast one and have the top made.Would you need a top from a cast one or would you make a whole top?
And Randy or No Jokes SM TR was new ,Duane knows this guy well so mabey he can tell us how much he paid for it.
Jake
You could pretty up the cast one I would think, unless the design is what you didn't like.
I could just make a whole new top. The easiest thing would be is to have the manifold, that way I would have the bolt pattern, and be able to set the carbs right over the runners.
Brian

Jake W2
12-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Brian no CARBS for a HAT.
Jake

steelcomp
12-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Jake. for what it's worth, I think the Weiand TR for the 460 is a good looking manifold with it's separated runners. I think it would look real BAD ASS with a hat on it. And talk about throttle response!!
JMO

UBFJ #454
12-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Without a doubt I'd say The Best sheet metal intake made for Any Motor is made by Wilson Manifolds ... Each manifold is Custom Made and Flowed to Your Specific Heads (you have to send them your heads for them to design to) ... They're Pricey, but, Worth it ...

wsuwrhr
12-06-2004, 07:19 AM
Brian no CARBS for a HAT.
Jake
That's a big 10-4 copy that CA'MON.
Brian

GM Killer
12-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Jake
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1925Dsc01240.jpg
I take offense to that!!! :D

Squirtin Thunder
12-06-2004, 08:51 AM
That looks good to me GM Killer !!!
I need a Tunnel Ram for my BBF !!!!!

Blown 472
12-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Jake
And what are you building for a motor again???

LakesOnly
12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
I have seen some interesting sheetmetal tunnel rams for a 429/460 Ford. Of course they're not cheap; all sheetmaetal tunnel rams are expensive, and a great deal of design and engineering go into them, sometimes even for one manifolds specific engine application.
Why in particular do you need a sheetmetal tunnel ram? Would it be possible for you to just modify an existing casting? That's what I'm doing for my injection setup. Hell, I won't even be using the top half (upper plenum). The bottom half/intake of the T/R is all I bought, the rest will be constructed around it. I'll post pictures when it's done.
The two most popular cast tunnel ram's out there are the Offy and the Weiand. The Offy comes with SCJ-size port runners as cast and the Weiand is cast with passenger car size runners, although they can be enlarged to that of SCJ (mostly).
I recently did some flow testing of both brand tunnel ram manifolds. Both were pulled through an SCJ head, by themselves, with and without plenums, etc. Generally speaking, the Weiand, when ported to SCJ-size, flowed some numbers a little higher than the Offy. But the Offy produced noticably more consistent numbers runner-to-runner. In a nutshell, I have concluded that the Weiand may be the better manifold above 7000 rpm provided it is ported to SCJ-size and ported well. The Offy is SCJ-size as cast and the difference where the flow numbers fell (between the two manifolds) makes me feel that the Offy might be better suited for naturally aspirated boats running 3000-7000 rpm. The Offy will certainly perform well at rpm's higher than 7000 of course, I'm just saying that it's better suited a for this 3000-7000 application than the ported Weiand. Further, if the Weiand is still at the as-cast passenger car port sizes, then it may have advantages over the Offy at the lower rpm's.
Somebody mentioned they had an Offy with a single top and was thinking of modifying it. I think single-four tunnel rams don't make a great deal of sense distribution-wise when there are 2x4's available. Also, I happen to know someone that has indeed experimented with top modification of the single-four top so as to accomodate the 2 4-BBls and had good results.
Hey, wanna see a wild sheetmetal tunnel ram for a BBF?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350JB_Bobs_Intake_1.jpg
Before anyone shoots this down after just a glance, take a second look. Those runners are tapered, they are canted, and they are not stacked pieces; they are made from one piece of carefully formed sheet metal. Look at the underside of the runners and you'll get the picture.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350JB_Bobs_Intake_2.jpg
The amount of thought and mathematical engineering--AND craftsmanship--that went into this particular intake is astounding. It took many, many attempts at forming each runner to get precisely what was desired for each specific runner on this intake. The approach is innovative to say the least. And it works. Sorry I can't show the insides of this baby. It's on a 572 pump gas deal.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350JB_Bobs_Motor_1.jpg
LO

Squirtin Thunder
12-06-2004, 01:52 PM
That is totally SWEEEEEEEEEEET !!!
If you look very close you can see all the changes in runner sizing.
That unit is very nice !!!

LakesOnly
12-06-2004, 01:55 PM
And the twist...and the bend...and the curve, compounding, you know...
LO

UBFJ #454
12-06-2004, 02:01 PM
That's a Good Looking Manifold ... Someone put a lot of thought into its fabrication. Our Wilson was fabricated on the same principal ... Only thing different is our runners were CNC'd from individual pieces of Billet to obtain the desired flow characteristics then robotically welded into place.

Jake W2
12-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Blown why does it matter?
GM Killer all though you motor looks very nice ,you can not tell me that TR looks as good as a Victor TR(a victor TR is made to look like a sheet metal TR )I was not trying to affend anyone it is just my preference.
I just wanted the sheet metal for the individual runners but the price looks to be ridiculous.
Lakes that will be the plan, bottom of the TR and a CNC top to fit the Hat.All though if you cut the very top of a Offey you could weld a plate to it machined for the hat.I had a single Offey TR that I should have just kept for this project. :hammerhea
Thanks guys for the info on them.
Jake

wsuwrhr
12-06-2004, 07:04 PM
I never got an answer to where the 911 came from, and why I haven't been in either ride...
Brian

steelcomp
12-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I never got an answer to where the 911 came from, and why I haven't been in either ride...
Brian
911...I think that's about what GM Killer's boat runs. 9.11 et?? :D

Blown 472
12-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Blown why does it matter?
GM Killer all though you motor looks very nice ,you can not tell me that TR looks as good as a Victor(a victor is made to look like a sheet metal TR )I was not trying to affend anyone it is just my preference.
I just wanted the sheet metal for the individual runners but the price looks to be ridiculous.
Lakes that will be the plan, bottom of the TR and a CNC top to fit the Hat.All though if you cut the very top of a Offey you could weld a plate to it machined for the hat.I had a single Offey TR that I should have just kept for this project. :hammerhea
Thanks guys for the info on them.
Jake
Just wondering as if you were going to put that on some iron headed pretty much stock motor, why not spend the money on a good set of heads rather then trying to look fast.

Jake W2
12-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Blown my pretty much stock iron headed motor will have a victor Biggs 750 with a 100 shot of N2O.
I plan on building a alum headed roller motor for the mecanical inj but hey it still might just look fast. :(
Jake

Blown 472
12-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Blown my pretty much stock iron headed motor will have a victor Biggs 750 with a 100 shot of N2O.
I plan on building a alum headed roller motor for the mecanical inj but hey it still might just look fast. :(
Jake
Well you could pick up a kick ass set of blue thunders for what you would pay for a sheet metal intake and from a cast one to a sheet metal one you probably wouldn't notice the diff. Carry on. :wink:

77charger
12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Holly Smokes very nice but not in my budjet. I am having a hard time coming up with less than 10% of that;
V-8 Manifolds
Single Carb w/Raised Top $2300
Dual Carb w/Flat Top $2500
Dual Carb Raised Top $2500
E.F.I. (Single Throttle Body) $2600
E.F.I. (Dual Throttle Body) $2500
Mech. F.I. (Birdcatcher) $3200
Cross Ram Dual Carb $2900
Vertical Plenum $2500
they are nice intakes work well too even better with 2 1050s we picked up 2 tenths going from 750s to 1050s and 7-10mph
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/15intake_vw_1-med.JPG

dmontzsta
12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
God, I love Fords!
Thanks again Robert...you really made my year...I owe you a ride for sure, when I am done.

OkieDave
12-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Weiand makes a 3-piece tunnell ram for the Ford that has CJ sized runners and the top piece can be for carbs or there's one that the injector will bolt to. I used to run one with a four hole in line Hilborn top. It was bad ass. I'm pretty sure the Enderle will bolt to it too. pretty easy to drill and tap the runners for the port nozzels. it is dry air flow all the way til the port nozzels which are one inch above the heads. methanol is easy to tune compared to gas in a mech injection system.

Jake W2
12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Does any one make a individual runner cast TR for a Ford?
Lakes do you have any pics of what you have done so far?
Jake

steelcomp
12-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Does any one make a individual runner cast TR for a Ford?
Jake
Yes, but they're way expensive. Ray Franks/ Profiler makes one. It's a sheet metal style manifold.

LakesOnly
12-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Jake
Haven't done anything. I am in LA right now at the partner's machine shop doing other work and also stocking up on other parts to bring back to the bay area. One of the other key reasons for making this trip was to bring the intake down to him so that he could make the mod's (partner is the fabricator).
But I fricken left the intake at home...so all I've done is the preliminary flow testing mentioned above.
I will be using the lower half of the Offenhauser tunnel ram. It will be extensively modified; in fact not much original casting will remain except the mating flanges and the exterior surface of the individual runners (that make up the overall perimiter of the manifold). The insides will be hogged out and a new floor put in. Boxed up top and an Enderle barn door. Blower adaptable.
Once the mod's are complete, it will be reflowed for educational purposes.
Now that I've left it at home :mad: , the mod's won't get started until after the holidays. I'll keep you informed. There will be photos and before/after flow figures, etc. By the way, several of these intakes have been fabricated before successfully and pushed a cast iron passenger car block & headed BBF to 7.14 in the asphalt QM , just 7% overdriven (BFA). Probably could have gone into the 6's, but the honest-to-god truth is that just one tooth larger on the blower drive pulley and this engine would repeatedly destroy everything behind it. :D The car was constantly being de-tuned to get traction or keep the other drive train parts alive. I don't know jack about drag racing, but I suspect de-tuning Arias Hemi's and the such are the norm for the same reason(s), but a cast iron big block Ford??? I just think that's so cool... :)
LO