PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Cat

Liquid Muscle
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Im planning on buying a 1998 Daytona 25' with a HP500 carb. 100 claimed hrs. the outside is pretty nice, but the interior needs some work. I wanted to get it checked out by a professional before I made it final. Eliminator wasnt to excited to look at it oddly enough. I know they cant look inside the engine and tell me my fortune, but I wanted to make an educated decision and I dont personally have the experience to do so myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

framer1
12-06-2004, 05:19 AM
If the interior is worn out there a good chance the engine has more than a 100 hrs. on it. Unless they are saying the engine has been rebuilt. In that case I probably would say I don't know what i'm talking about :hammerhea

RiverOtter
12-06-2004, 06:48 AM
In my years of boating experience I have been on several other's boats. 99% of the time if the boat is in rought shape on the outside they owner has not taken care of it mechanically either. Just my http://midwestboatparty.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/twocents.gif

shadow
12-06-2004, 07:14 AM
Im planning on buying a 1998 Daytona 25' with a HP500 carb. 100 claimed hrs. the outside is pretty nice, but the interior needs some work. I wanted to get it checked out by a professional before I made it final. Eliminator wasnt to excited to look at it oddly enough. I know they cant look inside the engine and tell me my fortune, but I wanted to make an educated decision and I dont personally have the experience to do so myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'd recomend doing a cylinder leak down test.If you don't know how it's fairly easy and someone shouldn't charge you too much $$ to do it for you.

phebus
12-06-2004, 07:15 AM
There are just too many good deals on clean boats out there. I wouldn't even consider a boat that was questionable unless I was getting a steal on it.

gmocnik
12-06-2004, 07:33 AM
i bought my 98 25 daytona a couple years back got burned on the "only a few hours on the motor" deal...you are in temecula area...take it to gary at gt performance for a once over before forking out good money...
on the interior....mine is still original and i take fairly good care of things, but we do use/abuse it. mine still looks pretty good, so if the one you are looking at is marginal it has probably been stored outdoors or just neglected...5 grand will do a complete makeover at the upholstry shop so a good deal can still be made...
good luck

Liquid Muscle
12-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys, that's some good advice. Heres the deal. Says he's 2nd owner since 2000. Is selling it because he just took delivery of a 2005 Daytona 27' and wants to unload it now. Said its been in the ocean once to Catalina and got pounded on the way back in with swells over the front (at least he's honest). Thats why all the fused items like lights and stereo didnt work, but he'll clean up and fix. The upholstry isnt that bad, just when you step on the back seat to get in its split in the seam, an just looks "ok". The engine hatch has that rear facing scoop on it looks like someone sat or fell on one side of it, and it goes up way crocked because its so heavy and has only one ram. The exterior has some wear from towing with a cover on, sponsons have some chips and scratchs form beaching, but he says he has a friend in havasu that will repair chips and color sand the entire boat at his (sellers) exspense for me. Speedo thing on the back of boat is bent up and he says the guage leaked oil and needs some added. Other than that its waaay cherry :eek: All this for the low low price of $34000.00 Sound good or am I crazy? :hammerhea
Heres his add for the boat: Id post a picture if I could figure out how....
Awesome 1998 25 ft Daytona Eliminator 4 Sale...
This 25ft Daytona is powered by a HP500 carbuerated Motor w/less than 100 hrs. It's sustained by a Bravo 1 Drive/w drive shower. Electric hatch, Custom Alpine 1000 watt system w/12 Disc Chngr. Custom Bimini top, Custom Hull Lighting, Gaffrig Gauges, Dual Batteries, Custom Boat Cover, Tri-Axle Trailer. This is a turn key ready boat. Never had any problems. Fresh water ran only in Lake Havasu. Custom Gelcoat Lighting Boat that compliments the overall look and finish. When I say, this boat runs, it runs. On a scale of 1 to 10 on the overall condition of the boat, honestly it's about a 6.5. Why am I selling it ? Well I just purchased a 2005 27ft Daytona Eliminator. So I am a motivated seller. I'm the 2nd Owner.
The low N.A.D.A. Boat Retail is: $45,650.00 Average $48,769.00 High $54,550.00.
I know it wont last at this price, so take advantage of my motivation.
Vehicle Condition
On a scale of 1 to 10 on the overall condition of the boat, honestly it's about a 6.5. The last time I ran my boat was Oct 10th, 2004, the World Finals Jetskii Championship in Lake Havasu City, AZ.

gmocnik
12-06-2004, 09:01 AM
hatch hinges on the plywood constructed daytona hatches suck...typically they are not thru-bolted and they are not real structural...my single ram hatch actuator causes the hatch to open unevenly also.
i have your replacement gaffrig liquid filled speedo for you....i went gps and still have the old one
if boat is in havasu, have arron at absolute do a once over mechanically....
for 35k.....put 10k into it and you still have a great deal....

Liquid Muscle
12-06-2004, 09:14 AM
gmocnik
That makes me feel better! I wasnt sure If I was making a good decision on this.
The seller is taking it in today to do a full tune up and repair the carb problem for me. He said he has a $3500 hydralic steering system for the boat that I can have. The problem is the exhaust tips are right where the system goes. He says they sell brackets that attach to the tips but that sounds fishy to me.
What I was planning on doing was new carpet, upholstry, repair or rebuild rear engine hatch, install dana hinges, all new pewter moster gauges, and all new pewter hardware, steps, rails ect.
Who would you call to do it? The boats in Orange County.

25Elmn8r
12-06-2004, 09:36 AM
I also have a 98 25 Daytona, and from what I have read in this post (IMO) it it has been abused.
The interior needs to be redone, the rear hatch needs to be rebuilt, The gauges need to be reworked, the stereo is broken. Sounds like alot of work needs to be done to this thing for a '98.
Trust me from experience, when you have enough salt water inside the boat to cause the issues that this is having with the electrical, those types of things will continue until you replace every last electrical component and wiring.
100 hours on the motor, what did they do, idle over to the channel and sit all day, every time they went out? This would definitely require a once over by a reputable shop. Compression and leakdown tests for starters.
So 5 grand on interior, 2-3 grand(?) on the electrical, all the time and trouble of finding those issues that will pop up. Is it really worth it for 34k when there are other 25's out there in the 45k range that don't seem to have these issues?

gmocnik
12-06-2004, 09:50 AM
for interior/upholstry...i have experience with two shops...ross at designer marine in corona does great work and is "reasonable". ron at custom canvas in montclair does great work and is a little more "premium price"...one advantage is ron is down the street from gary at gt performance...thats where i would have the mechanical/electrical stuff done...
replacing gauges and wiring is pretty easy and on the fun side of boat maintainence.. try doing it yourself and save the hourly rate for easy work...
good luck

ChumpChange
12-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Never had any problems. Fresh water ran only in Lake Havasu.
According to his add, he had never had it in salt. According to what he told you, he took it to Catalina. Last time I checked, the ocean was salt water and this guy seems to be a liar. There are too many good boats out there to buy one with problems.
If you do buy it, have him fix everything at his expense before you give him the money. Otherwise, his buddys shop will just never seem tohave the time to fix it.

Liquid Muscle
12-06-2004, 10:34 AM
So 5 grand on interior, 2-3 grand(?) on the electrical, all the time and trouble of finding those issues that will pop up. Is it really worth it for 34k when there are other 25's out there in the 45k range that don't seem to have these issues?
I hear ya. I was thinking the same for a while, but I cant find one for 45K. The least expensive one in the trader is $57,900. Im I looking in the wrong place?
Rob

pleasantcat
12-06-2004, 01:11 PM
45K FOR A NICE DAYTONA??? wow that would be a steal right there. i know of two here in the phoenix area that are up for grabs. 1 is a 2000 that looks brand new then there's a 97 with some wear and both are in the 60k range.
if you have the money buy the boat that needs nothing. if your being fruegal,buy the 35k boat and take your chances. good luck

Daytona 25
12-06-2004, 02:31 PM
I am looking to get $53,000 on my 2000. Excellent shape. Hp 500 carb. 200 hours.

SHOTKALLIN
12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
I am looking to get $53,000 on my 2000. Excellent shape. Hp 500 carb. 200 hours.
post a pic

SHOTKALLIN
12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
I hear ya. I was thinking the same for a while, but I cant find one for 45K. The least expensive one in the trader is $57,900. Im I looking in the wrong place?
Rob
How can you trust a lier? This is a major purchase. Make sure you get that motor looked at. Pay the money for a test. You can always Keep looking deals come and go.
Be patient.

25Elmn8r
12-06-2004, 04:40 PM
45K FOR A NICE DAYTONA??? wow that would be a steal right there. i know of two here in the phoenix area that are up for grabs. 1 is a 2000 that looks brand new then there's a 97 with some wear and both are in the 60k range.
if you have the money buy the boat that needs nothing. if your being fruegal,buy the 35k boat and take your chances. good luck
I guess I haven't looked in a while for what is out there. I was going off of what I got mine for 3 seasons ago. If that is truly the case than 34k is cheap, but then again you get what you pay for. I personally wouldn't come near that thing.
GM, I agree that changing gauges and the like is easy and sometimes fun, but a boat that is 6-7 years old! No thanks, unless it is upgrades! I personally am just having fun and keeping up with the routine maintenance of my 98 Daytona, that with the exception of keel scratches from beaching, still looks new. And by the way, I am the 2nd owner too.

Liquid Muscle
12-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Sounds cool, give me the details & pictures!!! You can email them if you want.

Liquid Muscle
12-06-2004, 07:24 PM
I actually found one for 45k its an 96' with a new 496 HO w/140 hrs. Its suppose to be in MINT condition. Going to look at it Wed...

racer
12-06-2004, 07:50 PM
The HP500 can have a DDT pluged into the ignition to check engine hours it will also say time spent at different rpm.

riverroyal
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
is it gonna need money every month to keep it up or repair/replace broken parts or just wore out parts?,,,,,my point is you maybe able to get a nice more expensive new boat with 'new boat' financing for the same money as this one will need to make it the way you want it or even need it to keep it in the water every month,,,,,,,I hate spending endless money on things over time,(plus if your married then theres the explaining about the endless cash flowing out)I believe get something new,make the payment,put gas in it,fill the cooler and bring us sandwiches in the channel when we cant see straight anymore,,,,,,, :)

Bre
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Can you buy it without the motor....and just buy a new one yourself? Ours had a Derebery 900 in it before we bought it..... and we bought a brand new Merlin 540. We like going out every weekend and being able to use it with no problems. The old owner put an old/and bad alternator and starter on it..... that we had to replace :notam: and there was a broken o-ring in the drive..... but those were fixed the first two weekends we were out...and we have been trouble free since then.

MAINEVENT
12-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Can you buy it without the motor....and just buy a new one yourself? Ours had a Derebery 900 in it before we bought it..... and we bought a brand new Merlin 540. We like going out every weekend and being able to use it with no problems. The old owner put an old/and bad alternator and starter on it..... that we had to replace :notam: and there was a broken o-ring in the drive..... but those were fixed the first two weekends we were out...and we have been trouble free since then.
You should Knock on wood :cool:

Bre
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
You should Knock on wood :cool:
What a nice thing to say :notam:

Daytona 25
12-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Sounds cool, give me the details & pictures!!! You can email them if you want.
I have them on my office computer. I will post them tomorrow.

alfonzo
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
What a nice thing to say :notam:but true!! start knock'n :D :D :D

Blownboat
12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
but true!! start knock'n :D :D :D
I dont know about some people Bre! :idea:

MAINEVENT
12-06-2004, 09:19 PM
but true!! start knock'n :D :D :D
See i am not the only suppersticious (sp?) one around here
Hey Alfonzo when are we hitting up Cal City for a day run i should have my bike back in about 3 weeks :idea:

Bre
12-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Great you two are awesome!

alfonzo
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
See i am not the only suppersticious (sp?) one around here
Hey Alfonzo when are we hitting up Cal City for a day run i should have my bike back in about 3 weeks :idea:Thats christmas and then we are leaving for Dumont Tues or Wed. I am working up to the 23rd and busy this and next weekend. I still haven't changed my tire and I need to throw on my new chain. I need another bike. 1 for the sand and 1 for dirt.I'll pm you my # call me when you know for sure when you are getting your bike back. If we wait till after the holidays then we can make a weekend out of it. :rollside: :rollside:

alfonzo
12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Great you two are awesome!thanks, your pretty cool yourself :D :D :D

alfonzo
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Just mess'n with ya Bre. I knock on wood cause I have terrible luck, not that it helps any :confused: :D

MAINEVENT
12-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Thats christmas and then we are leaving for Dumont Tues or Wed. I am working up to the 23rd and busy this and next weekend. I still haven't changed my tire and I need to throw on my new chain. I need another bike. 1 for the sand and 1 for dirt.I'll pm you my # call me when you know for sure when you are getting your bike back. If we wait till after the holidays then we can make a weekend out of it. :rollside: :rollside:
Sweet sounds good Check your PM :rollside:

Dave C
12-07-2004, 09:07 AM
LM
This sounds like a "project." But it looks like a pretty good package if you
don't mind doing some wrenching and getting nickle and dimed. Good hull and good motor w/ P.S.
I would be skeptical of the motor hours. Its a good motor BUT keep the price of a freshen-up in the back of your mind when making your offer.
If you are used to wrenching and enjoy it, go for it.
If not, get the motor inspected and make a list of things that need to be fixed to make you happy and start making some calls to get estimates before you buy it.
From the way you make it sound, it looks like you might have to pour some money into it to get it working right.

convincor
12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
I will sell you my '98 Daytona, 502MPI w/250hrs.,imco silent choice, competitive trailer for 45k.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/222Eliminator_021.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/222MOTOR_002.jpg

HavasuDreamin'
12-07-2004, 10:50 AM
My $.02.................buy a boat that is in better shape. You will have twice as much as you estimate in upgrades/repairs. It always works that way. In the end, you will have spent just as much or more as a true turn key boat and you will have been through a bunch of brain damage. There are too many "good" boats out there to buy one that is even remotely suspect.
HD

1faster
12-07-2004, 05:12 PM
I have a nice 2000 25 Daytona rigged by Gary at GT with his 540 n.a. motor. Very nice boat, runs excellent for 62k.

Liquid Muscle
12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
The HP500 can have a DDT pluged into the ignition to check engine hours it will also say time spent at different rpm.
Isnt that only on the fuel injected models??? This one is carburated.

Liquid Muscle
12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
No chance, he wants to unload the whole package. He just bought a new 27' Daytona with power and has no need for it. Thanks for the sugjestion though.
PS I like you hands.... I meen hand! :D

Liquid Muscle
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=convincor]I will sell you my '98 Daytona, 502MPI w/250hrs.,imco silent choice, competitive trailer for 45k.
DAMN!!! Now that looks like a nice boat. Only problem is your in Ohio... How do I pull that off??? Can you email me more pictures, specificaly the interior and give me all the fine details as far as closed bow?, options, stereo, gauges ect. What condition is it in?
Rob
email: IslanderPoolsSD@aol.com

Liquid Muscle
12-07-2004, 07:33 PM
LM
This sounds like a "project." But it looks like a pretty good package if you
don't mind doing some wrenching and getting nickle and dimed. Good hull and good motor w/ P.S.
I would be skeptical of the motor hours. Its a good motor BUT keep the price of a freshen-up in the back of your mind when making your offer.
If you are used to wrenching and enjoy it, go for it.
If not, get the motor inspected and make a list of things that need to be fixed to make you happy and start making some calls to get estimates before you buy it.
From the way you make it sound, it looks like you might have to pour some money into it to get it working right.
Im no mechanic. I would pay a reputable co to make the changes/fixes. Im only considering this in order to save some $$$ and not because I want a project. I just figure If I can buy for 34k drop 5-10k max into it and have a smoken boat for 45 or less Im looking real good. After I test drove it I went to Eliminator and sat & drooled in a new 25' w/canopies & a 500hp that I could get OTD for about 90k...not sure what to do. I figured If I got the used one at least I wouldnt sweat it if I scratch it against a dock or my kids dump the Kool Aid all over the seats when I nail it. Then the other side of my brain says just buy the one you really want, whats that saying I've heard...??? Buy your second boat first.

Liquid Muscle
12-07-2004, 07:35 PM
I have a nice 2000 25 Daytona rigged by Gary at GT with his 540 n.a. motor. Very nice boat, runs excellent for 62k.
OK, let me see the pics and have all the details please.
Rob

Liquid Muscle
12-07-2004, 07:55 PM
My $.02.................buy a boat that is in better shape. You will have twice as much as you estimate in upgrades/repairs. It always works that way. In the end, you will have spent just as much or more as a true turn key boat and you will have been through a bunch of brain damage. There are too many "good" boats out there to buy one that is even remotely suspect.
HD
Whata you think of this one I found in the ***boat Classifides?
25 Eliminator Daytona
1998 25, Eliminator Daytona. 510 inch, 1071 BDS, Superchiller, 780 hp on pump gas, 114 mph, IMCO external steering, 4 blade stainless lab finish prop, Gaffrig gauges. One owner.
$ 54,000.00

Dave C
12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
I've done exactly what you described. Keep in mind that with older boats that you are going to have to wrench, maybe a little or maybe alot.
I don't mean full motor teardowns or major repairs but little B.S. that pops up now and again. You can save some dough and time if you delved into minor bolt on-bolt off type repairs, yourself.
Its just the nature of the beast having to put a little effort into it (trust me! ;)) So if you don't mind doing a little work, go for it.
One more thing, inspect the hull closely for cracks, especially around the front pickle forks, where they meet the center. Crawl up underneath that thing and look closely down the tunnel also. Hull cracks can be "fatal," but motors can be fixed.
Dave
P.S. No kidding about stressing about "damaging" the new boat. I used to say buy used, its already "pre-scratched" :rollside:
Im no mechanic. I would pay a reputable co to make the changes/fixes. Im only considering this in order to save some $$$ and not because I want a project. I just figure If I can buy for 34k drop 5-10k max into it and have a smoken boat for 45 or less Im looking real good. After I test drove it I went to Eliminator and sat & drooled in a new 25' w/canopies & a 500hp that I could get OTD for about 90k...not sure what to do. I figured If I got the used one at least I wouldnt sweat it if I scratch it against a dock or my kids dump the Kool Aid all over the seats when I nail it. Then the other side of my brain says just buy the one you really want, whats that saying I've heard...??? Buy your second boat first.

HavasuDreamin'
12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Whata you think of this one I found in the ***boat Classifides?
25 Eliminator Daytona
1998 25, Eliminator Daytona. 510 inch, 1071 BDS, Superchiller, 780 hp on pump gas, 114 mph, IMCO external steering, 4 blade stainless lab finish prop, Gaffrig gauges. One owner.
$ 54,000.00
If the boat is clean that is a damn good deal. Problem is you will be going through outdrives right and left with that motor.
HD :cool:

1faster
12-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry for the slow response, work has been nuts. I can't figure out how to post the oictures, if you P.M. me your e-mail I can send some to ya.

Liquid Muscle
12-08-2004, 11:51 PM
I think Im definitely going to bail on buying the fixer upper. After hearing everyones opinions and looking at some boats the last few days, I can now appreciate why many of you told me I wouldnt want to buy one that hasnt been taken care of cosmetically, knowing that the same has probally been the case mechaniclly. I drove a 96' Daytona today that was in pretty sweet condition & ran sooooo nice. Of course, I dont like the colors :mad: I cant believe how difficult this is..... I guess thats why so many people buy new.
Anyway.... Thanks a lot everybody for all your advice and help in my quest to figure this whole thing out and make a good decision, I appreciate it.
Rob
I've done exactly what you described. Keep in mind that with older boats that you are going to have to wrench, maybe a little or maybe alot.
I don't mean full motor teardowns or major repairs but little B.S. that pops up now and again. You can save some dough and time if you delved into minor bolt on-bolt off type repairs, yourself.
Its just the nature of the beast having to put a little effort into it (trust me! ;)) So if you don't mind doing a little work, go for it.
One more thing, inspect the hull closely for cracks, especially around the front pickle forks, where they meet the center. Crawl up underneath that thing and look closely down the tunnel also. Hull cracks can be "fatal," but motors can be fixed.
Dave
P.S. No kidding about stressing about "damaging" the new boat. I used to say buy used, its already "pre-scratched" :rollside:

phebus
12-09-2004, 06:37 AM
I know that it is hard to be patient when you are ready to pull the trigger, but if you wait, the right boat will come along and you will be much happier in the long run. Don't compromise, get what you want!!!

Liquid Muscle
12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
You guys saved my ass from making a big mistake!!! Thank you!!!
New Plan: Buy a new 25' Daytona w/canopies & walk thru open bow. Now the big question is what motor is the best choice for the money???? I want to keep it reliable yet reasonably fast (mid 70s-mid 80's) 496 HO, HP500 or HP525.
Someone ask Brandie if this qualifies for the highly requested photo spread :D

Dave C
12-10-2004, 09:10 AM
I just bought a 2004 25 w/ canopies, 496HO, XR drive. Get 75 mph all day long fully loaded (the boat not the driver ;)). Its been extremely reliable. We love it. It seems to be a very efficient boat, IMHO.
I had an HP500 in my last boat. great motor. I'm not exactly sure how fast it will be in the 25. My guess would be mid-80's.
IMO if you are looking at the HP 525, note the price then call GT Marine or Teague and inquire about their comparable product. Same price, alot "better" product. :D
PM if you want more details.

Daytona 25
12-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Sounds cool, give me the details & pictures!!! You can email them if you want.Here you go.

Daytona 25
12-10-2004, 12:00 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1982PICT0169.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1982PICT0168.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1982PICT0170.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1982PICT0171.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1982PICT0172.JPG

Liquid Muscle
12-10-2004, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=Daytona 25]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1982PICT0169.JPG
Now thats what a used Eliminator is supposed to look like!!! Very nice! What are the details on it. Steering? Stereo? Prop? and anything else you can think of thats important.
Rob

Liquid Muscle
12-10-2004, 06:26 PM
I just bought a 2004 25 w/ canopies, 496HO, XR drive. Get 75 mph all day long fully loaded (the boat not the driver ;)). Its been extremely reliable. We love it. It seems to be a very efficient boat, IMHO.
I had an HP500 in my last boat. great motor. I'm not exactly sure how fast it will be in the 25. My guess would be mid-80's.
IMO if you are looking at the HP 525, note the price then call GT Marine or Teague and inquire about their comparable product. Same price, alot "better" product. :D
PM if you want more details.
Thats the boat I want. Yours looks sweet. Will a GT of Teague motor last and be as reliable as a Mercury???

HavasuDreamin'
12-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Thats the boat I want. Yours looks sweet. Will a GT of Teague motor last and be as reliable as a Mercury???
IMHO, a Teague motor of comparable power will be just a reliable as a Mercury motor. Don't compare the reliability of a 1,000 HP Teague motor and a 500 HP Mercury motor.
If it were me, I would put in as much power as I could possibly afford because you will not be happy with stock power and subsequently will upgrade quickly. After the cost of upgrading, you could have had more power, and a better foundation to build even more power to begin with.
The technology is there to build reliable 700 - 1,000 HP motors. You just can't pick the "el cheapo" engine builder. You get what you pay for. :hammer2:
Good Luck! :smile:

Liquid Muscle
12-11-2004, 05:14 PM
I hear ya. I talked to Gary @ GT Marine today and he's has a 540 ci 650HP EFI motor with drive for $38k as an alternative to doing the Merc 525, same warranty 125 more hp and looks way sweet. The one question is which would have better resale value in 2-3 when I sell the boat??? Im thinking the Blue motor...
Did you see that 2000' above? Way nice and the right colors... Only problem is its in Michigan and carburated. Thought 98' was last yr for the carb on 500HP.
IMHO, a Teague motor of comparable power will be just a reliable as a Mercury motor. Don't compare the reliability of a 1,000 HP Teague motor and a 500 HP Mercury motor.
The technology is there to build reliable 700 - 1,000 HP motors. You just can't pick the "el cheapo" engine builder. You get what you pay for. :hammer2:
Good Luck! :smile:

Daytona 25
12-12-2004, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Daytona 25]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1982PICT0169.JPG
Now thats what a used Eliminator is supposed to look like!!! Very nice! What are the details on it. Steering? Stereo? Prop? and anything else you can think of thats important.
RobThanks, I try to keep it up the best I can. Boat has Imco dual ram (not to the helm). Prop is a stand 28" Bravo One. I do have a labbed as well. It will run 82 on radar with the labbed. 80 with the standard. Stero is a JVC Cd with just 4 6x9's. I had a full blow system in it but removed it when the boat was apparantly sold :mad: . The carpet on the ski locker shows some wear but the boat is in excellent shape. I am sending out the swim steps (Eddie Marines) to have new plating done. It is now on a much better trailer as well.

Dave C
12-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Its hard to say for sure on the resale value.
Teague has a pretty good reputation. So does GT. It would be close, blue might win by a nose but its probably too close to call. In the meantime you could have 125 more horses. ;) :D
125 hp in a 25 would make a big difference in top end.
$38 less $10-12 grand or so for the drive & parts, leaves about mid to high 20's for the motor, which I am assuming is complete and EFI. Comparably how much is the blue motor?
IMHO I would go for the bigger motor if you got the funds to do it.
But its your money. Just trying to give you food for thought.
I hear ya. I talked to Gary @ GT Marine today and he's has a 540 ci 650HP EFI motor with drive for $38k as an alternative to doing the Merc 525, same warranty 125 more hp and looks way sweet. The one question is which would have better resale value in 2-3 when I sell the boat??? Im thinking the Blue motor...
Did you see that 2000' above? Way nice and the right colors... Only problem is its in Michigan and carburated. Thought 98' was last yr for the carb on 500HP.

Kilrtoy
12-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Just remember blower motors need alot of money to mantain, stock merc non-blown motors dont

Dave C
12-13-2004, 08:53 AM
and insure! :2purples: :eek: :hammer2:
Just remember blower motors need alot of money to mantain, stock merc non-blown motors dont

Liquid Muscle
12-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Price wise they're are almost identical. I need to call some insurance companies and find out how hard I'm going to get hit for one of these big motors. I originally was only considering the HP500 or 496 HO on a new boat, but of course now I want more.
Its hard to say for sure on the resale value.
Teague has a pretty good reputation. So does GT. It would be close, blue might win by a nose but its probably too close to call. In the meantime you could have 125 more horses. ;) :D
125 hp in a 25 would make a big difference in top end.
$38 less $10-12 grand or so for the drive & parts, leaves about mid to high 20's for the motor, which I am assuming is complete and EFI. Comparably how much is the blue motor?
IMHO I would go for the bigger motor if you got the funds to do it.
But its your money. Just trying to give you food for thought.

Dave C
12-14-2004, 08:37 AM
you see...... thats how it begins.... next thing you know your pawning off the kids for a blower and a new drive :messedup: ;)
we've all done it... don't let these guys around here lie about it.
I originally was only considering the HP500 or 496 HO on a new boat, but of course now I want more.

Liquid Muscle
12-14-2004, 05:40 PM
LOL!!! That's to funny...pawning off the kids. Gee, my kids are really cute...and funny, I wonder if.... Just kidding.
Now I even have more to consider. Just talked to Dino at Teague. Says doing the open bow on the Daytona is a bad idea and made some very good points why. They have a 620 and 720 HP carb na motor thats good for 12mph and 24 mph better than the Merc 525!! Yikes!
Just put in the Pegged DVD last night to watch with wifey for the first time and she's like.... You don't want to go that fast do you???? Oh no honey...not me... Big motors are a waste of money, that's why I just sold my Z06 corvette.... and that exibition of speed violaton was a big misunderstanding..... :devil:
you see...... thats how it begins.... next thing you know your pawning off the kids for a blower and a new drive :messedup: ;)
we've all done it... don't let these guys around here lie about it.

Dave C
12-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Cute kids... great, you should get top dollar for them. :rolleyes:
I was also looking at those 620 & 720 motors but with EFI. good stuff there.
I don't know about the open bow issues. Someone once mentioned something about cut out construction. Anyone? ..... I heard they are selling alot of them.
LOL!!! That's to funny...pawning off the kids. Gee, my kids are really cute...and funny, I wonder if.... Just kidding.
Now I even have more to consider. Just talked to Dino at Teague. Says doing the open bow on the Daytona is a bad idea and made some very good points why. They have a 620 and 720 HP carb na motor thats good for 12mph and 24 mph better than the Merc 525!! Yikes!
Just put in the Pegged DVD last night to watch with wifey for the first time and she's like.... You don't want to go that fast do you???? Oh no honey...not me... Big motors are a waste of money, that's why I just sold my Z06 corvette.... and that exibition of speed violaton was a big misunderstanding..... :devil:

Liquid Muscle
12-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Basiclly he said it's ok to sit up there when your just cruising, but once you start moving the ride up front is going to be very hard and bouncy (Ohh, my wife might like that!) and it changes the way the boat runs with or without peeps up front due to the added weight, because as we all know the cat hulls are intended to be ligtht up front. He also said you loose 5mph with the open bow....
More room for wife, kids & friends VS better looks ride & speed :cry: ?????????
Check this out. Now I have a chance to buy a BRAND NEW 2003 Daytona 25' no canopies with 496 HO for $60k This sounds like a pretty good deal, What do you guys think??

HavasuDreamin'
12-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Check this out. Now I have a chance to buy a BRAND NEW 2003 Daytona 25' no canopies with 496 HO for $60k This sounds like a pretty good deal, What do you guys think??
Not a bad deal, but for $60K I would opt for one a year or two older than that with a Blower motor. There are a lot boats out there for $60K. If you are spending that much, make sure it is the boat you want and not one you will be looking to put a bunch of upgrades into a little ways down the line.

Keith E. Sayre
12-15-2004, 03:37 PM
This is a 1996 Eliminator 25' Daytona with less than 100 total hours on it. Paul Pfaff built the 532" 830hp 92octane engine. The boat runs an honest
110mph and still looks new. Foot throttle, knock sensors, bimini top, cover
full hydraulic steering to the helm, Gaffrig gauges, Imco drive with new propshaft and vertical shaft. Great stereo system and super clean upholstery. He wants a new deckboat so this boat has to go! Asking $55,000. Great price for a killer boat!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1106frtstbdside-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1106engstbd-med.jpg
KEITH SAYRE
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

Dave C
12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I agree with HD, BUT keep insurance in mind. Damn insurance companies are very "picky" about insuring cats with blowers.
The blower might be the difference between getting insured and NOT getting insured. Or with the blower you might have to chop an arm off to get insurance.
I opted for no blower and got insurance instead. :boxingguy (even though it would be great to have a blower) I asked how much the premium would be with a whipple, they said the policy would be cancelled. :hammerhea :mad:
FYI, just in case you haven't called for a fee quote yet.

Dave C
12-15-2004, 05:08 PM
This is the usual stuff I hear. But most people I know that have open bows have kids, inlaws, outlaws, etc. and appreciate the extra room.
You can start a whole new debate about open bow vs. closed bow. As a matter of fact there was a thread in the sandbar the other day about this subject.
Do a search over there.
Basiclly he said it's ok to sit up there when your just cruising, but once you start moving the ride up front is going to be very hard and bouncy (Ohh, my wife might like that!) and it changes the way the boat runs with or without peeps up front due to the added weight, because as we all know the cat hulls are intended to be ligtht up front. He also said you loose 5mph with the open bow....
More room for wife, kids & friends VS better looks ride & speed :cry: ?????????

Liquid Muscle
12-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks Keith, just not digging what the blown motor does to the cost of insurance.
This is a 1996 Eliminator 25' Daytona with less than 100 total hours on it. Paul Pfaff built the 532" 830hp 92octane engine. The boat runs an honest
110mph and still looks new. Foot throttle, knock sensors, bimini top, cover
full hydraulic steering to the helm, Gaffrig gauges, Imco drive with new propshaft and vertical shaft. Great stereo system and super clean upholstery. He wants a new deckboat so this boat has to go! Asking $55,000. Great price for a killer boat!
KEITH SAYRE
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400