PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension air bag system?

prosthogod
12-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Has anyone ever put one on a lifted Excusion. I have a 6" lift and the Firestone Rep told me I would need to fabricate custom brackets to insatll the lower axle plate. They only make them for stock hieght.

sigepmock
12-06-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm going through the same thing right now with my lifted chevy. I decided to make a set myself but Tuff Country and e-z ride make them for lots of applications.
Here's a link:
air bag spacers (http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=1/sf=category/se=Air%20Bag%20Spacers/op=eq/nu=0/sf=veh_make/se=Non-Tapered/op=eq/nu=0/ml=25/tf=category/to=x/tf=veh_make/to=x/tf=description/to=r.html)
EZ-Ride (http://www.ezrideconcepts.com/)

prosthogod
12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the link, I was going to make them myself also but for $50 it's not worth the hassle. I'm going to use the firestone kit with the compressor, tank, and in cab controls.

sigepmock
12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
I think you talked me into buying a set of the spacers too. I like the Firestone kit but, I think I'm gonna go with the Air Lift kit. 2 gal tank, in cab controller, etc. Bags were $200 and the compressor kit was $300. All in all $515 shipped from a guy over at Glamis Dunescom. Good luck.
Chris

In2Deep
12-07-2004, 12:23 PM
I purchased an Airlift controller and compressor, and used Firestone bags on my 2003 Excursion 4x4, lifted with the 3.5" Edge Lift. Everything seemed to work well -- though the first set of bags I was sent were faulty. Replaced.

Sweet Addiction
12-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Are these air bags systems everyone speeks of the type of system that replaces the leaf springs? Or the system that just mounts and when a load is attached to the truck you just air them up to maintain correct ride height?
Just curious, because a buddy of mine works for a truck and trailer shop and was telling me about a truck with air bags He just let the air out of to un-hook from the trailer.
So just curious as to what the purpose of these air bags are. Thanks Jared.

Ziggy
12-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Are these air bags systems everyone speeks of the type of system that replaces the leaf springs? Or the system that just mounts and when a load is attached to the truck you just air them up to maintain correct ride height?
Just curious, because a buddy of mine works for a truck and trailer shop and was telling me about a truck with air bags He just let the air out of to un-hook from the trailer.
So just curious as to what the purpose of these air bags are. Thanks Jared.
Normal use is for increasing load capacity and/or leveling the load and improving stability with that load.
i.e=Leveling truck after a cabover camper is loaded.

sigepmock
12-15-2004, 04:30 PM
I will be using mine to help carry loads but I will be leaving the leaf springs in place(I may actually go to a 1/2 ton spring to get a better ride but that another story). These same companies like Air Ride and Firestone do offer complete leaf spring replacement airbag suspension systems but they look a bit bulky. The ideal set up would be a rear four link with air bags to carry the weight. The hardest part of an airbag suspension in locating the rear axle, basically keeping it in place under the vehicle and this can get expensive. I just like the idea that if the airbags fail I still have leaf springs for backup or vise versa.
My $.02
Chris

nodigg
12-15-2004, 04:38 PM
A good, true air ride set up also gives you automatic adjustment for height when you load it up, which also means you can get a great ride instead of the 3/4 ton bump bump ride. Class 8 trucks have used them with success for about 25 years. No need for a spring back up at all. Otherwise, big rigs would have the same need. It would also keep the truck in the photo above from looking overloaded and all squatted down in the back.

phebus
12-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know of any shops in So. O.C. that stock the bags for a do it yourself install?

Havasu Hangin'
12-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Try www.summitracing.com. They were the cheapest when I was shopping.

phebus
12-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks HH, they are the cheapest. Ordered some.

tahitijet
12-15-2004, 09:51 PM
I carry bags in stock if your looking to do your own kit, as well as sale the complete kits listed above and can custom build anything you need.

voodoomedman
12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
I've got the firestone kit installed on my chevy lifted 11 inches in the air. There were no custom mods necessary. I did have the install done professionally though and it was like 750 with tax installed with on board compressor and controller. A bracket mounts to the frame and then the bags are between the bracket and your springs. If you have a block kit then even though you are lifted then the distance between the springs and the frame are the same as stock. Being that your in an excursion though I don't know how your suspension is. I know in the Suburbans then the 1500 doesn't have leaf springs until you go 2500hd and up. The bags work great though. Tows my boat and doesn't sag at all. 40 lbs is all I need to get it to the height I need. If I get a longer drop hitch I would need less air.

MOBrien
12-15-2004, 10:27 PM
....................mind if I jump in on this one?
Do the same rules and equipment apply to a lowered rig like in my signature? It's an F150 Supercrew with a 3/4 drop kit on it. Strangely enough, I don't bump the stops when I've got the boat on but as more time goes on the shocks will get softer and I may want to do something with an air assist package before that softening takes place.
Any ideas on preventative measures?
Thanks guys,
MOB

voodoomedman
12-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Do the same rules and equipment apply to a lowered rig like in my signature? It's an F150 Supercrew with a 3/4 drop kit on it. Strangely enough, I don't bump the stops when I've got the boat on but as more time goes on the shocks will get softer and I may want to do something with an air assist package before that softening takes place.
Thanks guys,
MOB
I know theres gotta be a way I just don't know how because I don't know about drops.

Ivan Dan
12-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys,
MOB
Actually this isn't quite right....the shocks are only to control the bounce in the truck. The springs are what keep the height of the truck and they may sag eventually causing you to bottom out. Or the shocks will blow out and once that happens they are no longer controlling the suspension and preventing it from bottoming out.
When you start to feel the back of the truck bounce more that usual that means the shocks are going out and you need to replace them. If you install something like what the guys above have done it will help prevent your springs from sagging out.

MOBrien
12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Actually this isn't quite right....the shocks are only to control the bounce in the truck. The springs are what keep the height of the truck and they may sag eventually causing you to bottom out. Or the shocks will blow out and once that happens they are no longer controlling the suspension and preventing it from bottoming out.
When you start to feel the back of the truck bounce more that usual that means the shocks are going out and you need to replace them. If you install something like what the guys above have done it will help prevent your springs from sagging out.
you're right. I stated it incorrectly. springs baby, springs. that being the case, I don't want to have to replace these shocks anytime soon so will opt for the air assist package over the holidays.
thanks!