PDA

View Full Version : Painter in Havasu????

voodoomedman
12-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Should be closing escrow on the vacation house on Thursday. Does anybody have info on a reasonably priced painter for a 1500 sq ft house???? We called the builders painter but he needs reminded that my rear end is exit only...

H20Advantage
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Try:
Painter - Don Romero
928.680.9277 home
928.486.9506 cell
He did some texture inside my house and painted the exterior. Did a good job.

voodoomedman
12-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Try:
Painter - Don Romero
928.680.9277 home
928.486.9506 cell
He did some texture inside my house and painted the exterior. Did a good job.
thank you

CJ
12-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Tell me how it works out Voodoo! I have a 1500 sf home that needs some new paint.

voodoomedman
12-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Tell me how it works out Voodoo! I have a 1500 sf home that needs some new paint.
I'll let you know. If it's too expensive I'll paint it myself.

CJ
12-07-2004, 04:49 PM
I'll let you know. If it's too expensive I'll paint it myself.
. . . and then mine! :D :D

voodoomedman
12-07-2004, 05:14 PM
. . . and then mine! :D :D
funny. The only reason I'm considering paying for something I can do myself is that it is a vacation home. When I go there it is to get away from the hustle and bustle of working and living in SoCal. Havi Time is Play Time.

H20Advantage
12-07-2004, 05:59 PM
That's what I've been telling myself for tha past two years as I gut and remodel an older havasu home. I'm now near completion and don't know what to do with myself. Oh well, guess I'll have to boat, relax and have fun :D

CJ
12-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm with you VooDoo. I just got the house last year (new) and seems everytime I get there the first few hours are honeydo hours. I'm hanging pictures, iron, whatever.
I just don't want to paint! Tell this guy you have a couple o jobs for him and maybe he'll give a great price.

voodoomedman
12-07-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm with you VooDoo. I just got the house last year (new) and seems everytime I get there the first few hours are honeydo hours. I'm hanging pictures, iron, whatever.
I just don't want to paint! Tell this guy you have a couple o jobs for him and maybe he'll give a great price.
I'm going to get a few quotes. The builders painter said that 1 per sq ft was the going rate and he also wanted 75 bucks for every color change. What's a new brush like 2 bucks at pro prices? I'm not going to spend 2 grand to have paint done. 5 6 hundred maybe anything over that is pushing it. If somebody were to do it as a side job then that would be a lot of extra money. Hell in Havasu that is like 2-3 weeks of a lot of peoples pay.

Mandelon
12-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Then fine some unlicensed, uninsured handyman. Have him do it.
That is, if he shows up, can do a good job, actually finishes and doesn't steal anything. Oh, and doesn't get hurt on your property, so your insurance can support him for a few years.
$1.00 psf isn't too bad, but no bargain. I pay that for the cheapo guys here in SD, $1.25 is more like it for quality work. Ya get what ya pay for.
Paint isn't $8.00 a gallon anymore. More like $15 for the good stuff. And brushes are around $7.00.... :wink: That's with the discount.
The cheap guys advertise in the apartment owners association publications. The crazy Korean who paints the whole place in the same color and finish. The doors, the hinges, the walls, the trim, the windows....... :hammerhea

voodoomedman
12-07-2004, 08:54 PM
You have valid points but come on. If I went with this guy it would cost like a couple grand. Let's say 200 bucks worth of paint and he has 1800 profit for a day's work. I know what your saying about unprofessional people. I'm looking for something in between. The house is new. No furniture or anything in there. We close escrow on Thursday. Just don't get paint on my carpet or blinds basically. You would think that would get you a break. My neighbor is a painter for a large company but does side jobs very professionally for a reasonable rate because it is pure unreported cash in pocket. That's what I'm looking for. If I can't find it I'll do it myself. I did my home myself but I am here all the time.
That is, if he shows up, can do a good job, actually finishes and doesn't steal anything. Oh, and doesn't get hurt on your property, so your insurance can support him for a few years.
$1.00 psf isn't too bad, but no bargain. I pay that for the cheapo guys here in SD, $1.25 is more like it for quality work. Ya get what ya pay for.
Paint isn't $8.00 a gallon anymore. More like $15 for the good stuff. And brushes are around $7.00.... :wink: That's with the discount.
The cheap guys advertise in the apartment owners association publications. The crazy Korean who paints the whole place in the same color and finish. The doors, the hinges, the walls, the trim, the windows....... :hammerhea

Propchecker
12-07-2004, 09:00 PM
The cheap guys advertise in the apartment owners association publications. The crazy Korean who paints the whole place in the same color and finish. The doors, the hinges, the walls, the trim, the windows....... :hammerheaHow true. about 8 years ago my dad had me send one of the painters I use over to give him a quote. It was a good deal because he was family, but the next day a neighbor turned him on to a guy who did his exterior for 15 bucks an hour. Well the paint job was fine, but the guys brother in law who helped came back a week later and cleaned out the garage, waited about 6 months and got the house. I still haven't stopped giving him shi t about that $800 he saved on that handyman paintjob. :hammerhea

Mandelon
12-08-2004, 10:15 AM
I look for good prices too, no point in overpaying......but I will defend the numbers we or other licensed contractors have to charge to cover our ridiculously high overhead.....due to the rising costs of insurance, gas, vehicle costs, materials, rent, workers comp, benefits we have to pay.....and on and on.
All those add up and the end consumers get stuck with the increases... :frown:

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 05:25 PM
I look for good prices too, no point in overpaying......but I will defend the numbers we or other licensed contractors have to charge to cover our ridiculously high overhead.....due to the rising costs of insurance, gas, vehicle costs, materials, rent, workers comp, benefits we have to pay.....and on and on.
All those add up and the end consumers get stuck with the increases... :frown:
I agree totally.

Boozer
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm with Mandy here.
$1500-$2000 seems like a pretty fair price to me. Workmans Comp is through the roof. Not to mention taxes and all the other premiums associated with doing business. He'll probably have a couple guys working on the house to make sure it is done in one day. Figure 3 guys 12 bux an hour for 8 hours and you have about $300 in labor before having to pay SSI and all the other BS. I bet when alls said and done the guy makes about $500 profit and gets the job done right.
FYI most cash deal painters are drunks and do a sh*tty job. You might get lucky and find a couple guys who crew for a new home builder that will do it for a cheaper price like maybe 1000 but you wont get any cheaper then that.
If $2000 is more money then its worth to you and your confident in your own work then I'd say do it yourself. Do it now while it's winter and put the 1800 you save into the boats gas tank this summer.

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm with Mandy here.
$1500-$2000 seems like a pretty fair price to me. Workmans Comp is through the roof. Not to mention taxes and all the other premiums associated with doing business. He'll probably have a couple guys working on the house to make sure it is done in one day. Figure 3 guys 12 bux an hour for 8 hours and you have about $300 in labor before having to pay SSI and all the other BS. I bet when alls said and done the guy makes about $500 profit and gets the job done right.
FYI most cash deal painters are drunks and do a sh*tty job. You might get lucky and find a couple guys who crew for a new home builder that will do it for a cheaper price like maybe 1000 but you wont get any cheaper then that.
If $2000 is more money then its worth to you and your confident in your own work then I'd say do it yourself. Do it now while it's winter and put the 1800 you save into the boats gas tank this summer.
Well Said. That is what I was saying though. I would consider a grand or just do it myself which I do very well and did my primary house. It's just that this is a vacation house and we go there to relax. The guy we called is the guy that actually painted the house. He crews for our home builder. The house is empty so he would just have to keep the carpets and the blinds clean. He also knows the builder so he can go get the keys and basically get it done at his leisure over the next three weeks until we get out there. Seems like a no brainer for him for an easy thousand bucks but 2 grand or more it ain't happening. I'll just make sure I buy enough beer to make sure I feel warm and fuzzy after painting all day.

Kachina26
12-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Plus if the guy is doing prep work, it's more than a day's work.

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Plus if the guy is doing prep work, it's more than a day's work.
No prep. The house is new. Not moved in yet. He is the guy that painted it. If he needs to do prep work then he did a crappy job in the first place. Flat white paint sucks. If they would just put some color this wouldn't be an issue right now.

hava life
12-08-2004, 07:58 PM
all I can say is you get what you pay for. he painted the house for the builder but was it a good deal for him or the builder? You want a custom paint job done or two tone? How about the time to cut in and mask. If you want to pay for a good paint job then pay, if you want a bad job then pay for that. I wouldn't touch a job like this for a grand, materials alone would cut out any beer money ;)

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 08:10 PM
all I can say is you get what you pay for. he painted the house for the builder but was it a good deal for him or the builder? You want a custom paint job done or two tone? How about the time to cut in and mask. If you want to pay for a good paint job then pay, if you want a bad job then pay for that. I wouldn't touch a job like this for a grand, materials alone would cut out any beer money ;)
I'm not trying to be rude but is everyone reading the whole thread before posting. The house is new. Nothing in it. Dropcloths on the floor and mask the windows. My neighbor is a professional painter and does side work for reasonable prices. Not cheap but not ridiculously overpriced. Materials are not an issue because he has a truck full of the stuff. And when they have to get paint they have business accounts at the stores and don't pay nearly as much as you or me for a gallon of paint. I understand I get what I pay for. I said I was looking for good work at a price I wanted to pay. If I can't find that then I will paint it myself. I will not find someone to do it for 300 bucks and then come post on here that all painters suck and I should have gotten a killer job for that money. I know better and am not that stupid.

hava life
12-08-2004, 08:15 PM
get your neighbor to paint it :)

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
get your neighbor to paint it :)
I know I would if it wasn't a 3 and half hour drive. I'd be right back to the price range I don't want to pay. :D

hava life
12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
We still have to pay insu. taxes,work comp.,and all the rest plus try to have anything shipped here, I hate to say it but it's not cheap. Try pricing anything here you might be surprised :2purples:

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 08:28 PM
We still have to pay insu. taxes,work comp.,and all the rest plus try to have anything shipped here, I hate to say it but it's not cheap. Try pricing anything here you might be surprised :2purples:
Are you a painter?????????

hava life
12-08-2004, 08:34 PM
use to build houses from ground up.

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
use to build houses from ground up.
I see. I understand all the points. I guess it all comes down to value. I don't value paint as that much. For instance, Custom boats are very freaking expensive and I think and wish they were half of what they cost. However I love my boat and obviously was worth it for me to spend that much...

hava life
12-08-2004, 08:50 PM
I agree :) painting after flooring is installed is a pain in the a--. I hate to do it but it comes at a price. and no I won't paint your house :) I am just trying to say it sucks to paint after flooring is installed and you will have to pay for what you get, so be carefull since you will not be able to watch the work being done. It is one thing to hire someone to paint when you can watch them and another thing to come out weeks later with the furniture and findout the job looks like sh-t :(

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 08:53 PM
I agree :) painting after flooring is installed is a pain in the a--. I hate to do it but it comes at a price. and no I won't paint your house :) I am just trying to say it sucks to paint after flooring is installed and you will have to pay for what you get, so be carefull since you will not be able to watch the work being done. It is one thing to hire someone to paint when you can watch them and another thing to come out weeks later with the furniture and findout the job looks like sh-t :(
No I would be have them come when I am there and watch them. The only guy that I would have let do it without me there is the builders painter because basically he wouldn't want to ruin his rep with the builder...
You sure you don't want to paint the house????
I'll pay you 200 bucks and a case of beer. :D

hava life
12-08-2004, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't stir the paint for $200

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't stir the paint for $200
You forgot about the case of beer. :)

hava life
12-08-2004, 09:04 PM
I don't drink :(

voodoomedman
12-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I don't drink :(
I said a case of water... Weren't you reading. ;)

hava life
12-08-2004, 09:10 PM
In that case :rolleyes:

Kachina26
12-09-2004, 06:36 AM
I assumed that it was a used house being that it needed paint. I take it that you came into the buy process after paint, I'm having a home built out there myself. I plan to get this flat paint thing handled in the build process. My builder allows $2600 for paint, and that's flat paint :jawdrop: My Uncle is a painter out of GS, I hope to get him down there to paint for me. Sorry I can't help you out, but I know he's not cheap. I hope I can afford him. :D

voodoomedman
12-09-2004, 11:50 AM
I assumed that it was a used house being that it needed paint. I take it that you came into the buy process after paint, I'm having a home built out there myself. I plan to get this flat paint thing handled in the build process. My builder allows $2600 for paint, and that's flat paint :jawdrop: My Uncle is a painter out of GS, I hope to get him down there to paint for me. Sorry I can't help you out, but I know he's not cheap. I hope I can afford him. :D
Thanks. Yeah it's new but it was just barely finished when we bought it. We wanted something done. We were in escrow on a condo but the thing was originally supposed to be done in November and they haven't even poured foundation yet. We got out of it and bought the house. I'm happy because I wanted a house in the first place. More rooms, bigger, better investment and my boat garage is attached instead of on the other side of the property. :)

callbob4homes
12-09-2004, 12:33 PM
like everyone else said............ya gets what ya pays for. btw, what do you do for a living and are you paid too much? good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good. and just as a side note, there is more work to painting a new home with new flooring and new everything else than going in and doing it without. gets into the liability stage when you spill or knock something over. yes I am a painter and no I won't do it for that either. go price a gallon of GOOD paint, not the basic contractor stuff. :squiggle:

voodoomedman
12-09-2004, 05:30 PM
like everyone else said............ya gets what ya pays for. btw, what do you do for a living and are you paid too much? good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good. and just as a side note, there is more work to painting a new home with new flooring and new everything else than going in and doing it without. gets into the liability stage when you spill or knock something over. yes I am a painter and no I won't do it for that either. go price a gallon of GOOD paint, not the basic contractor stuff. :squiggle:
Please read the whole thread before attacking me. I've got no problem with discussion but people are only reading like one thing and then throwing flames at me. I wouldn't pay for a cheap a$$ job. I will do it myself. I know what there is to painting. 2 grand isn't value enough for me individually. If that is actually a fair price then that's okay with me I just won't pay it because I am not super loaded. Maybe it's partly because I am very handy and basically given the time, money, and tools I could pretty much almost build a whole house by myself so I won't pay 2 grand for painting. I was just asking a question. I wasn't knocking painters either. There are plenty of people who can't paint or who don't want to paint and would be glad to pay 2 grand or more. I know it's not as easy to paint a house with flooring. In the construction phase there is nothing in the house and windows and stuff are covered and you go in with a sprayer. Post construction it has to be rolled and flooring and windows and outlets etc. need to be masked. So really an honest question here is what would you charge for a brand new 15 sq ft house?

Bre
12-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Bre needs some money :D

voodoomedman
12-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Bre needs some money :D
Go paint my Havi house. I'll give you 400 bucks but you have to promise to do a super crappy job. :D

Bre
12-09-2004, 05:41 PM
You buy all the crap and I'll go do it. Shit I could use some xmas money :hammerhea

voodoomedman
12-09-2004, 05:45 PM
You buy all the crap and I'll go do it. Shit I could use some xmas money :hammerhea
Will you do it dressed in only arm socks? :D

Bre
12-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Will you do it dressed in only arm socks? :D
That would cost a lot of extra $$$$ :jawdrop: :D

voodoomedman
12-09-2004, 05:50 PM
That would cost a lot of extra $$$$ :jawdrop: :D
2 bottles of goose
3 bottles of jack
400 dollars
sound about right?

Bre
12-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Hahaha HA :D

callbob4homes
12-09-2004, 06:12 PM
I was in no way attacking you. If you feel you can do a decent enough job by yourself, by all means do it. If you were to hire it out and stand there and watch the guy do it, would you expect it done right? Sure you would and the guy (or girl, like Bre for instance) might have to go back and redo something you were not happy with that if you did it yourself, you might say or screw it nobody will notice. See what I mean? A quality painter likes to have a happy customer and a happy customer wants the job done right. As for your question on a 1500 sq ft new construction with one color I would charge 2400, 2600 with me buying the paint. Keep in mind this requires first shooting primer. also take into consideration you have to take doors off and mask hinges, light fixtures and vents and other assorted odds and ends not found at the first stage of contruction. do it yourself and save money but for gods sake DON'T BUY CHEAP ASS PAINT! with the money you save buy the best paint, it lasts and looks a hell of a lot better. Good luck

jus a baker
12-09-2004, 09:11 PM
I agree with callbob, where im at a new construction goes for around $1.55 a square for 2 tone, $1.95 3 tone. Repaints are about $1.90 and up. (damn Utah!!) An its not only a 1 day job, unless he has 20 guys working for him. Oh and yes I am a painter. :)

voodoomedman
12-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Seems like probably we'll do it ourselves. I will definately by good paint. I mean I wanted the best gelcoat so I bought an Ultra. :D Sounds like you guys go the extra mile to do a perfect job and I can appreciate that I just can't see spending that kind of money for something I can do myself. But seriously I have to ask (and you don't have to answer if it is too intrusive) how much freaking profit are you making on 2400 bucks? That's ruling out the paint because you said 2600 if you buy the paint. Heck break it down as to what costs you what exactly. Maybe that will enlighten some young punk like me from thinking that it costs you maybe lets say even 1000 bucks with a crew and everything there and you got a nice 1400 at the end of the day. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just seriously wondering. It sure would help clear up any misconceptions.

callbob4homes
12-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Maybe I typed that wrong. 2400 TO 2600 with the paint. you also have tape, couple rolls of paper, caulking, plastic etc. rollers that kind of stuff. figure maybe 12 to 15 gallons primer and 12 gals of paint. Just guessing here on a simple 1500 sq. ft. house with one color. and I usually work by myself, unless you are in a hurry and I have to hire a helper at 8 to 10 bucks an hour. figure 2 10 hour days to do all caulking and taping and taking off doors and closet doors, covering garage floor to "z" doors to spray. come in shoot primer in one day, come back shoot color one day, come back and unmask and clean up and start touchups one day. now it all looks cool, but the carpet guys come in and beat up the walls and baseboards. I come back and touch up walls and baseboards also touch up walls where cabinet guy "custom" fit that production cabinet. See where I'm going with this? It's not just a go and shoot, a little brush and roll and go down to Barley Bros and count my money over a glass of beer. Sprayer cost $2500 and up, good brushes 5 to 10 bucks and I am not going to get into insurance and the price of gas. sorry I would like to make a decent living also. what do you do and how much money do you make? as far as your situation with the house now to paint, stop and think of all the prep work the guy has to do with covering cabinets,carpet, light fixtures and outlets. The tub and wall surrounds etc. etc. When you do it yourself, keep a close track of the actual time you spend both in prepping and painting as well as the time spent in final clean up and touchups. You might be surprised. Good luck

callbob4homes
12-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Don't mean to beat a dead horse here Voodoo, but to put it into perspective as far as the liability issue goes.........Before I started painting, I had a class A motorhome. We went on a trip and got both windshields cracked because of chip sealed road in New Mexico. HUGE windshields. The insurance company said the glass company was charging me too much over what the windshields cost. I expained to the claims adjuster that the glass company was only covering their butts in case one broke or cracked (as explained to me from the glass company, because these where special order) if they broke one they wouldn't even break even. The adjuster said, "but they didn't break one so we shouldn't have to pay for that. I replied "if that is true than you owe me for a couple of years of insurance money that I didn't have a claim". After a few minutes of silence, they agreed to pay the claim in full. If you were to hire a handyman with no insurance and he knocks over a can of paint on your new carpet, was it a good deal?

Kachina26
12-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Sprayer at $2500, and I suppose you have a back up sprayer. Don't forget repairs on the sprayer. How much is tape? I know the cheap stuff bleeds, which makes more work. Yes, there is good money to be made, but at the end of the day it's still a business with profit margins. I'm big on doing things myself, but I'm also a perfectionist. So, by the end of it all, I sometimes wonder if I shoulda hired someone for all the effort I put in. But nobody ever does as good of a job as I would like, even me. Quite a quandry :) Good luck voodoo , maybe you could have a ***boat painting party! I know Beaumont would be down :D Maybe buy a case of Goose and get them D-row guys out of their RV's at Crazy horse. :idea:

callbob4homes
12-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Good points Kachina. cheap tape, cheap paint, cheap help? It's like drinking cheap booze..............gets the job done, but is it worth it in the morning? :hammerhea

Mandelon
12-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Industry average is 10% profit. We all shoot for 30 or 40 percent gross profit, but after all the bullshit, you end up with 10% you are doing alright.
don't forget about all the time wasted doing estimates that you don't get. The average close rate is only 20% of the jobs you do bid, so they have to help pay for the jobs you bid but didn't get.....
Trucks, gas, phuckups, callbacks, mainenance, equipment....it goes on and on.
I am looking at $340 in tile sitting on the front desk that one of my guys ordered (special, no return) that I don't need. :mad:

voodoomedman
12-10-2004, 05:57 PM
I totally understand. All very good points by everyone. I hope you know I wasn't trying to be an a$$. I was looking for enlightenment and I got it. I'm sure you can see where I was coming from. If I go to Home Depot and buy the stuff myself well you know how much it would cost. And I will buy good stuff. I definately wouldn't want someone to get cheated out. It is work and I wouldn't want to cheat a professional. I always look for a good deal but I want hard working people to be able to support their family and have the finer things in life like I do. To answer your question I'm a computer technician for UPS and I make a decent living along with my wife working as a Surgical Nurse. I really want to thank everybody from letting me make the mistake of hiring a handyman for a cheap price for the job. I'll do it myself and save the liability. :D As for having people help then having friends come over is cool but I really don't like putting people out. We can get it done with four people. :)

voodoomedman
01-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I took everyones and my wallets advice and we just did it ourselves. Pretty damn good. No spills, faux finishes on some walls. Whole house done in one day. Finished three minutes before the start of 2005. Boy we were tired but it was worth saving a couple of grand.

Mandelon
01-04-2005, 07:24 PM
You get to have all the glory!!! The credit, and the blame...... :p

voodoomedman
01-04-2005, 07:36 PM
You get to have all the glory!!! The credit, and the blame...... :p
Somehow I knew you'd be the first one to say something. :D