PDA

View Full Version : Mounting new stringers&Transom

crf311
12-07-2004, 06:44 AM
What is the best way to secure new stringers & Transom to the boat hull before I glass them in. I am planning on using 3M 5200 to secure them. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

tahiti cowboy
12-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Im Doing The Same Thing Right Now Im The West System Its A Epoxy Resin Its The Bomb Im Going To Putt The Resin Down First Under The Stringers Then Resinand Matt In Layers On Sides And Top

corlish
12-10-2004, 05:05 PM
Tahiti,
Be careful with the 5200 -- any that oozes out should be scraped away 'cause any resin/glass you lay over top of it will probably not stick.
The factory's method on most boats was to
1. cut thin strips of mat and soak them in resin
2. coat the beds (hull) and stringer bottoms with resin
3. lay the soaked strips of mat into the beds
4. set the stringers and jig them in a way that holds them in place 'til the resin kicks.
hope that helps
Corey

Delta Jets
12-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Tahiti,
Be careful with the 5200 -- any that oozes out should be scraped away 'cause any resin/glass you lay over top of it will probably not stick.
The factory's method on most boats was to
1. cut thin strips of mat and soak them in resin
2. coat the beds (hull) and stringer bottoms with resin
3. lay the soaked strips of mat into the beds
4. set the stringers and jig them in a way that holds them in place 'til the resin kicks.
hope that helps
Corey
I agree with you thats what John Miller (Miller Boats) told me to do. I am going to replace mine this winter he also said when you lay your mat over the stringers go at least 12 inches out on each side. I am going to stick with polyester resin it has held up for 30 years my rot came from motor mount holes so be sure to seal those up with resin also i am using douglas fur 2x6 it does not warp or change dimensions with temp or humidity hard to find clear grain (no nots) but i found a place in Memphis Tenn. that shipped to my local lumber co.

berk
12-11-2004, 12:53 PM
yes use 5200, not epoxy. the reason they need replacing now is more than probable the fault of the resin bond used at the factory. 5200 is flexible and has properties which wood likes. if i were doing it i would consider making my own stringers out of marine ply, it is much more dimensionally stable than solid wood, and that is what leads to epoxy bond failures. you can coat a plywood hull with resin, but if a real wood boat were ever done this way, and they are quite often, they would last a fraction of the years of what they would without any glass coats. also fir isnt as rot resistant as some other woods, like mahogany or cedar.

flat broke
01-26-2005, 10:55 PM
DO NOT USE 5200 TO BOND YOUR STRINGERS TO YOUR HULL!!!!!!
The stuff is designed to stay pliable after curing which means it moves. Feel free to call ULTRA, HOWARD, SCHIADA, HALLET, so on and so forth to see if they bed their stringers with 5200 when they're building a new boat :rolleyes:
Do as recommended above with the strips of mat soaked in resin.
Chris

Ol Yeller
01-26-2005, 11:51 PM
I used this stuff in the restoration of my transome, stringers and floor and was blowm away with the awesome results.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1268&item=3870000519&rd=1