PDA

View Full Version : deck question?

framer1
12-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Pros and cons between a hard deck and open bow in a cat. I haven't had a closed bow for years. You can tell it a rain day with questions like this :D

mbrown2
12-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Open Bow - More space
Closed Bow - Less Space, Better Lines, Lighter=Faster
If I could only have one boat, I would have it open, if I could have two, I would have it closed...My wife likes the openbow..

riverroyal
12-07-2004, 06:20 PM
we like the deck,its easy for the kids to get in and out on a beach,nose it in and the bow is maybe 18" off the sand.........bad thing is if you like to go real fast then its a wind tunnel for the kids,so we cruz with the family and speed when they arent with us,,,

Kilrtoy
12-07-2004, 06:50 PM
open bow= more friends you never knedw you had
closed bow= real friends
Just kidding. Only you can answer that question
Lets just say ,if we were to buy a cat. It would be a closed bow.
we have two young ones and it would be a place for them to sleep and play games to get out of the weather. I think even without the kids it would be a closed bow, like the way it looks and more room for the wife to lay out with her friends(FEMALE).
of course what Mbrown stated, if the wife wanted an open bow, it would be an open bow.....

shadow
12-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Pros and cons between a hard deck and open bow in a cat. I haven't had a closed bow for years. You can tell it a rain day with questions like this :D
CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOSED!!
Looks way cleaner,sleeker on that cat,unless you plan on needing that room for seating.
Less exposed upholstery to be worn out up front,the bow will always stay nice as long as people stay off and don't track sandy feet on it.
Noone ever sitting in front of you to obstruct your view or let beer blow back in your face in the wind while driving.
Just my opinion,we love our closed bow.If we had children with us regularly that may be another story.

DogHouse
12-07-2004, 08:13 PM
If you do much beach camping, the open bow is the way to go. Kids also love riding up front. If all you wanna do is climb on board at the dock and haul a$$ around with a couple of friends all day, closed bow is the way to go. Just depends on how you intend to use the boat...
-brian

TimeToBurn
12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
What come to mind, when someone rigs an open bow in an air entrapment hull... you loose the hydrodynamics and aerodynamics. The trouble is you will need more horsepower to overcome these significant dynamics that alter the design of the boat.
Plus, it becomes a little more complicated in trimming the boat, because your leveraging 500 more lbs up in the bow.
Just my opinion.

framer1
12-08-2004, 11:14 AM
[Shadow] let beer blow back in your face
Yes, I do hate that :idea: Now that's alcohol abuse :(

mbrown2
12-08-2004, 11:18 AM
[Shadow] let beer blow back in your face
Yes, I do hate that :idea: Now that's alcohol abuse :(
No worries with the F, you have canopies...

shadow
12-08-2004, 11:21 AM
No worries with the F, you have canopies...
Can we get a windshield wiper :D

mbrown2
12-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Can we get a windshield wiper :D
The F's run so fast, no liquid sticks them at that angle... :)
Ever seen an F16 with a windshield wiper :confused: :smile:

shadow
12-08-2004, 11:40 AM
The F's run so fast, no liquid sticks them at that angle... :)
Ever seen an F16 with a windshield wiper :confused: :smile:
Never saw anybody sitting in the front of an F16 drinking a beer either. :D

mbrown2
12-08-2004, 12:09 PM
True, but they do fly through rain..... :D

framer1
12-08-2004, 04:53 PM
What come to mind, when someone rigs an open bow in an air entrapment hull... you loose the hydrodynamics and aerodynamics. The trouble is you will need more horsepower to overcome these significant dynamics that alter the design of the boat.
Plus, it becomes a little more complicated in trimming the boat, because your leveraging 500 more lbs up in the bow.
Just my opinion.
Sounds like you gave it some thought. Would you think an closed bow would be a couple miles a hour faster than an equally equiped open bow?

DogHouse
12-08-2004, 05:08 PM
I did the open bow cat because it satisfied many different requirements for the family. I get the speed and handling (ok minus a couple mph, no biggie, just build more HP!), kids get the open bow to play in, wife and family get tons of storage room for camping gear. We're all happy!
:cool:

mike37
12-08-2004, 05:17 PM
hey you focker I almost spit my drink all over after that one :D LMAO

mike37
12-08-2004, 05:20 PM
framer1 you better make up your mind
or Dave will just build the boat how he wants

ECeptor
12-08-2004, 05:28 PM
get the best of both worlds...go mid-cabin!

al cole'holic
12-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Open bows are nice if you ever plan on having more than say 5 people on your boat, every one is gonna see where we're going and be able to enjoy the whole experience. In my own experience, your crew looks way better with 13-15 heads partying and bouncin to the stereo when you roll up :D

Three Days Only
12-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Open Bow means a hell of a lot more interior to clean.
Closed Bow a quick wipe down and your done!!! Plus you dont have people climbing in and out of your boat tracking sand and shit thru the front constantly. No one wants to track shit across the deck of your boat, but for some reason the same doesnt apply to a open bow, go figure. If you want a open bow buy a deck boat, at least thats my .02. Not that its worth anything LOL :p

boxscore
12-09-2004, 10:37 AM
It's all about personal taste...
Open bow will scrub some MPH's, but in exchange you can seat a few more peeps. The open bow is also pretty handy around the docks and tying fenders off etc. As far as an open/cuddy combo, the cuddy area is pretty useless until you get into larger cats, hence, we went with a walk-thru. The beer splashing can get annoying at speed though

phebus
12-09-2004, 11:04 AM
If the boat is for day use lake boating, why not have as much usable space as possible? I think that is why deck boats are so popular theese days. You can use the entire boat from front to rear.

riverroyal
12-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Im sure a open bow or deck is slower than the closed,but 55 or 60 with kids is really fast enough,maybe too fast if they are young,I still have never ran our boat wide open with the 496HO .We boat as a family and anything above 50mph is plenty with more than just the driver and a passenger......That being said,haulin ass is great,Im sure 80mph and up is safe with the correct boat and conditions....True the decks and open bows have more interior stuff to clean but less hull to wax,plus decks have more room for speakers etc.When my kids abandon me when they get older the closed haul ass boat will come around to my garage,until now were happy,,later

framer1
12-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Im sure a open bow or deck is slower than the closed,but 55 or 60 with kids is really fast enough,maybe too fast if they are young,I still have never ran our boat wide open with the 496HO .We boat as a family and anything above 50mph is plenty with more than just the driver and a passenger......That being said,haulin ass is great,Im sure 80mph and up is safe with the correct boat and conditions....True the decks and open bows have more interior stuff to clean but less hull to wax,plus decks have more room for speakers etc.When my kids abandon me when they get older the closed haul ass boat will come around to my garage,until now were happy,,later
That's sort of where i'm now, my kids are getting older. I do get more than 5 people but i'm just ready for a closed bow. Guess i'll find out the different :cool:

DogHouse
12-09-2004, 08:00 PM
...As far as an open/cuddy combo, the cuddy area is pretty useless until you get into larger cats...
28 Magic cat is really a 26 with a swim deck. Mine has a bed in the mid cabin that's 4' x 8' and a sh!tload of storage beneath the floor in the sponsons. That's pretty useful for camping!
:cool:

riverroyal
12-09-2004, 08:34 PM
you lookin new?,,,,,doghouse and I kinda have the same boat,Magic 28,great boats,same bottoms,,,pm me I have some more info on new stuff

shadow
12-10-2004, 05:50 AM
That's sort of where i'm now, my kids are getting older. I do get more than 5 people but i'm just ready for a closed bow. Guess i'll find out the different :cool:
CLOOOOOOOSSED.
Should be a no brainer for you Bruce.
Your cat will be your bigger more comfortable boat for racing around and styling & showing off the bitchen boat that it is.
Your other boat will be the people mover.Most construction laborers :D aren't as fortuate as you to own 2 boats.

framer1
12-10-2004, 07:00 AM
CLOOOOOOOSSED.
Should be a no brainer for you Bruce.
Your cat will be your bigger more comfortable boat for racing around and styling & showing off the bitchen boat that it is.
Your other boat will be the people mover.Most construction laborers :D aren't as fortuate as you to own 2 boats.
Closed it is.