PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help IDing a Boat and Help in General!!

bigkahuna327
12-07-2004, 08:16 PM
I just traded my rail buggy for this jet boat that I know nothing about. I am relatively new to the boating and jet boat scene and could use some help. The boat has a rotten floor and floatation. I've ripped all of it out, and took the engine out for a good cleaning and checkup. It's got a 403 Olds with a Berekley Jet on the back.
I know nothing about the make, model, or year of this boat and needs some help from experts like yourselves. From what I've seen on the boards, I believe it may be a Weirdt boat, but I can not find the HIN anywhere on the boat.
Can anyone help me out with the location of the HIN number, Info on the boat, and where I might could get some pour in floatation. I'm in my last semester of my mechanical engineering program and would like to get this finished over the winter before I graduate.
Check out the pictures below:
http://www.clemson.edu/~owensc/dragboat.jpg
http://www.clemson.edu/~owensc/backofboat.jpg
http://www.clemson.edu/~owensc/frontofengine.jpg
Whatca think?

Mrs CP 19
12-07-2004, 08:23 PM
You might try posting this in Just Jets. No clue what it is, but they are a knowledgable bunch. Good Luck. Jill

moneysucker
12-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Definately post in just jets. As far as the ID of the boat I have no idea it is beyond the realm of boats in my brain. Are you sure that isn't a 455 olds? The 455 is a very common motor for jets and would help you a lot in getting marine parts. For flotation foam, I would not install any. The subject has been discussed in great detail on just jets. A lot of people are using a truck tire tube under the bow instead of foam. Foam tends to absorb water over time and add weight. I curse all the boat owners that have added foam to the hulls that I have owned. Do a search on Flotation and you will get more than enough info. Good luck.

Mandelon
12-07-2004, 09:23 PM
The valve covers match the Mountain Dew can.....slick.
I'd like to see a pic of the rail you traded for this, cuz it looks like quite a project.
Man---->remembering the happy boater<-----delon :)

Kindsvater Flat
12-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Thats rattle can silver on the alum..... strip and polish!!!

Mrs CP 19
12-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Put a link in Just Jets, am curious what it is. By the way, welcome to the boards. :)

Mandelon
12-07-2004, 09:49 PM
The boats I've had the HIN on the transom, port side, just above the rub rail. Good luck! :chi:

sidewound
12-07-2004, 09:55 PM
That could very well be a weridt. Looks like one. Your missing the windshield...that's gonna cost ya. The frames may not even be available. Look for the HIN on the transom on the upper right hand side. My guess is it's a 455. Looks like they rattle canned right over the grease on the engine.
Is that all the parts you have?
Theirs a guy on the just jets forum I think his nick is "weridt Stuff" ....He's got one ......he may be able to help with the ID. Good Luck
I think this is his weridt.
(I think it is spelled wreidt but don't wanna stick my neck out) LOL
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

Mandelon
12-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Wreidt? :confused: CP?

coolchange
12-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Port-------------------------------------------------------------Starboard
Mandelon
Somewhere in between.

Dribble
12-08-2004, 09:52 AM
It looks like a Sidewinder or Witchcraft.

Mandelon
12-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Port-------------------------------------------------------------Starboard
Mandelon
Somewhere in between.
That's me, somewhere in between. LOL :cool:
Port = Left, I remember port as Left side as seen from the helm, four letters each...
which means I was wrong, and really meant starboard....doh! :rolleyes:

bigkahuna327
12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas, suggestions, and information. I'm gonna copy and post it in Just Jets as well, just didn't have time to do it last night cause I was running out of energy. Engineering Exams are the Devil!!!
As for the engine, it is a 403 Olds, I ran the numbers, and it dates to around 76 or so. Not the best engine in the world but I gotta play the hand that I was dealt. I've built a few bad 455's for a cutlass and 442, so a 455 is next on the list.
Just imagine the whole engine that neon green, I don't know what they were smokin but it couldn't have been anything good! So black it has to be~!!
The aluminum on this engine was so far gone, nicked and what not, that there was no saving it. I plan on getting some more mounts, flywell cover, and exhaust as soon as some come up on ebay pretty reasonable, but for not, I gotta polish this diamond in the ruff.
The boat isn't that bad of a project, it just looks a little ruff but I'm the type of guy that likes a good challange so I think this is right up my alley. For god's sake, check out the homemade barstool racer in my avatar. Does this not look like the work of a mad man????
http://www.clemson.edu/~owensc/revracer.jpg

Jordy
12-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Thats rattle can silver on the alum..... strip and polish!!!
That's what we call Mexi-chrome here in Phoenix. :D

Boatcop
12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Have the NC DMV run the registration numbers and you'll get the info you need.
Even though the engine may be circa 1976, that hull looks like a late 60's, early '70s vintage Wriedt.
If that's the case, there won't be a HIN. They weren't required until 1972-'73.
There were 2 Wriedt Companies. One was in business in SoCal until 1976. The other was out of Texas from '85 to '01. Probably the same guy (Jerry Wriedt) ran both companies.

bigkahuna327
12-08-2004, 08:50 PM
The NC registration on the boat just shows a custom boat cause the HIN is gone. It had to be registered as a custom boat a few years ago.