PDA

View Full Version : OLDSMOBILE HEAD CHOICES

mario
06-09-2001, 11:59 AM
Im getting ready to set up a set of Heads for my boat. I have been told C heads are the best to use. But I have been thinking for the price to buy C's and to have them machined for screw in studs and cut down for roller rockers ect... would I be better off to just buy Elderbrock alum. Heads. Dose anyone here run the Elderbrock Alum. Heads on there boats.
Please give me Feedback on this
Thanks
Mario

SoggyJet
06-11-2001, 04:14 AM
Mario,
If you have the bucks, buy the Edlebrock heads. They are modern tech. Tech on factory heads is 20 plus years old.
Doug

slotracer
06-11-2001, 06:52 AM
I HAVE A SET OF HEAD 1 IS A C AND 1 IS A J DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A J HEAD IS?

Hondo Jet
06-11-2001, 08:06 AM
The Edelbrock heads will not flow any more than C castings but are really nice heads for the price. If you were to buy C heads and replace the valves and seats you will be getting close to the Edelbrock price. Joe Mondello has a lot of info on Edelbrock heads on his web sight

montrone
06-11-2001, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by SLOTRACER:
I HAVE A SET OF HEAD 1 IS A C AND 1 IS A J DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A J HEAD IS?
yes, I do. I use to have (2) J heads and got rid of them. the web site for old's says these are the worst heads to have, they are smoged heads small valves and do not put out any power what so ever. I recently brought C heads these are to be the best, per Mondello.

montrone
06-11-2001, 02:45 PM
here is some of the info from olds 442.com about the heads.
. All big-blocks have 1.63-inch exhausts, except for Type J heads that had 1.690-inch exhausts. But the J heads have a poor "shelf intake port," as do the G and K castings. A, B, and D heads are acceptable subs for C or F castings, however. The larger valves can be installed in the small-valve heads.
this is why i went with C's

73kona455
06-11-2001, 05:32 PM
try this site for olds head and engine info.. www.en.com/users/thall/olds/ofhed.htm#heads (http://www.en.com/users/thall/olds/ofhed.htm#heads)