PDA

View Full Version : Question About Dogs

Hallett19
12-08-2004, 11:22 AM
My girlfriend is in the process of getting a dog, so we went to the shelter in pasadena and checked some out. Lots of pit bull mixes, a great little border collie mix who I am hell of fond of, she is just like Froggystyle's dog whom I had a small affair within the last few years. There is another dog, a 4 month old Brindle/Pit Bull mix. What she is looking for is a dog who is mellow and loving, easy to go in the car, to the river, on a hike, run, etc. Thanks for any help.

Captain Dan
12-08-2004, 11:27 AM
My girlfriend is in the process of getting a dog, so we went to the shelter in pasadena and checked some out. Lots of pit bull mixes, a great little border collie mix who I am hell of fond of, she is just like Froggystyle's dog whom I had a small affair within the last few years. There is another dog, a 4 month old Brindle/Pit Bull mix. What she is looking for is a dog who is mellow and loving, easy to go in the car, to the river, on a hike, run, etc. Thanks for any help.
:2purples: :2purples:

topless
12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
I'd say the Border Collie mix...........but my question here is what kind of affair did you have with Froggystyle's dog?????? LMAO :supp: :supp:

RiverOtter
12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Be aware of getting (I know I'll get flammed for this) pit bull looking dogs. If an insurance appraiser shows at your house and sees the dog. Say goodbye to your HO insurance. I know I know pit bulls are just a gentle as a kitten .... but underwriters don't believe all that crap. JMHO :cool:

Mrs. Restless22
12-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Most insurance companies will accept a Pitbull as long as its a mix of something else that is mellow. For instance Lab, or Collie, whatever it is.
Dont let the Pits scare you away, they put those dogs through some tolerance tests before they are willing to put them up for adoption. If you can find a Pit/Retriever mix those are awesome dogs, and usually very good looking.
Good Luck!! :)

hoolign
12-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure Wes would want you telling people you two had an affair!
I' would be very carefull getting bulls from the pound because you wont be able to trace the blood line very easy, if they came from a violent line you might be the recipient of a mean dog. alot of bulls are treated mean so they live up to their notorious rep, unfortunate but true. Just becuase it is frindley at the pound does'nt mean it's a good dog, Collies have a good temperment and are extereml smart that would be my choice if getting from the pound!
P.S. did you buy that oilwell yet? Fair trade on the 20 bucks iIspent on your movie, I have watched a few times..The lesbo scene is still the best part! :D :D

Ziggy
12-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Our pup is a Shepard and we believe Pit mix---she's the biggest attn W hore and as docile as they come. She's great at the river, or in the dunes, loves car rides and only wants to go along, no matter where we go. You can usually tell the aggressive ones when in their pens, we've saved both our dogs from the pound.....imo the only way to get a pet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/343Roxy_2-med.jpg

RiverOtter
12-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I had a friend with a pit. Dog had NO fat just muscle!! Threw it in the lake. Couldn't swim. Sank. Kinda funny. Maybe just a real dumb one too.

Mrs. Restless22
12-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Our pup is a Shepard and we believe Pit mix---she's the biggest attn W hore and as docile as they come. She's great at the river, or in the dunes, loves car rides and only wants to go along, no matter where we go. You can usually tell the aggressive ones when in their pens, we've saved both our dogs from the pound.....imo the only way to get a pet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/343Roxy_2-med.jpg
Zig she is a cutie!!

Ziggy
12-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Zig she is a cutie!!
Thanks..we love her to death and she just gives it right back. :p

jdf
12-08-2004, 11:39 AM
we have a red nose pit had she is the biggest babie all she want's is to be loved on 24 7 now there was a night when i sacred her and she had me pined to the wall until she frigured out it was me ...that makes me fill better when i gone and the denise is home only bambam

bilgewiper
12-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I had a friend with a pit. Dog had NO fat just muscle!! Threw it in the lake. Couldn't swim. Sank. Kinda funny. Maybe just a real dumb one too.
I grew up with a Engilish Bull....same thing, couldn't swim. Would fall/jump in the pool and go straight to the bottom. It would then actually jump off the bottom of the pool and shoot to the surface to get a gulp of air before going down again. I know I saved that dogs life many times before we got a fence around the pool.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Border Collies are listed as the smartest breed of dog. Sorry folks, facts is facts. All retrievers were in the top ten, believe it or not. Afgans were the 2nd lowest (no suprise), but I don't remember what the lowest was.
Bummer about the Border Collie is all that hair to deal with.

RiverOtter
12-08-2004, 11:53 AM
I grew up with a Engilish Bull....same thing, couldn't swim. Would fall/jump in the pool and go straight to the bottom. It would then actually jump off the bottom of the pool and shoot to the surface to get a gulp of air before going down again. I know I saved that dogs life many times before we got a fence around the pool.
Dang! Not only gotta watch the kids but the dog too. :hammerhea

MsDrmr
12-08-2004, 11:54 AM
thats not funny at all RO, thats mean.... :supp:
I would say, let the dog choose you. If they are playful, calm and loving and come to you when your at the rescue site, then you know they will be loyal to you and consider you thier family, If you have to coax them to come over to you and let you pet them, they are not the dog for you.

LHC30Victory
12-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Take a good look at Golden Retrievers - Matt and Jen's dog Buddy is a great friend. and docile - right Jen :)

BarryMac
12-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Now that is some funny shit right there...

78Eliminator
12-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Hallet19,
The only deals with the collies or breeds that are similar, is that they are herding animals. They are real excitable and have a ton of energy. My mom had a Shetland Sheepdog which is an offshoot of a collie. That dog had serious seperation anxiety. When my mom would leave him alone, he barked non stop. He would bark even at me, when I would leave my moms house. You had to spell "B-Y-E" to my mom because if the dog heard that word he would get really crazy. MAJOR seperation anxiety.
More on the herding animal thing: I was once driving away from my mom's house and the dog got out. The f ucking dog comes running up next to my car and bites on the fender!! He left teeth marks!!! He was trying to herd the car. I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. Here is this maniac dog, running next to me and biting my car.
I am not sure about the love affair comment. I guess you need to find a dog with a huge ass hole.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Im getting a new dog too but Im torn between a english springer spaniel like colas a goldendoodle or a Labradoodle decissions decissions

topless
12-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I would say, let the dog choose you. If they are playful, calm and loving and come to you when your at the rescue site, then you know they will be loyal to you and consider you thier family, If you have to coax them to come over to you and let you pet them, they are not the dog for you.
Thats bullshit. I got one of my dogs from the pound and when I went there, she wanted nothing to do with me. If I didn't rescue her, she would have been put to sleep because she has epilepsy. I chose HER. She is the most loving dog now and wouldn't hurt a fly. I believe she had been mistreated because she still cowers if you raise your hand but has never shown one ounce of aggression. She sleeps with me every night and is the sweetest dog you could find.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Good points, 78. They do get excited easy. My parents had a Queensland Heeler that would bite the lawnmower and tractor tires. That dog HATED the tractor, it was hilarious. Downside, it also would try the "heel" people as they dove in the pool. We really had to watch him. Upside, a friend had one that used to herd her toddler away from the street and back onto the grass.

78Eliminator
12-08-2004, 12:11 PM
My dog Ziggy was the same. He was terrified of me when I got him and wanted nothing to do with me. Now he's my little buddy. My girlfriend loves that dog more than you can imagine.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/455DSCF0055-med.JPG

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 12:13 PM
I had a pound puppy .. was my first dog had her for 16 years and she was the best.. Its been hard to get another dog after her its been3 years and I think Im ready for another :wink:

topless
12-08-2004, 12:14 PM
My dog Ziggy was the same. He was terrified of me when I got him and wanted nothing to do with me. Now he's my little buddy. My girlfriend loves that dog more than you can imagine.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/455DSCF0055-med.JPGAwwwwwww how cute, he looks like the one I got from the pound except mine has longer hair.

sleekster
12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
i have had three boxers and currently have a male flashy brindle, all these dogs have been great with kid's and social situations plus there size and build make them able to play a long time. therefore the boxer is the dog i recommend. check your local boxer rescue we were able to get a beautiful male from them for a buddy for my current dog unfortunately he passed from heart failure when he was 5.

syke-o
12-08-2004, 12:25 PM
i have a staffordshire bull terrier(English version of the American Pit Bull Terrier) and these dogs are not known for their swimming abilties(they arent very good at all).. for everything else they are great!!! the staffordshire is known as the nanny dog due to its good nature around children.... the important thing is to socialize it with other dogs from an early age and train it and you shouldnt have any probs... take them to dog parks where they can run free and interact with other dogs...
Sarge with son Mason
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/197197DCP_0950-med.jpg
by himself
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/197197DCP_1368-med.jpg

MudPumper
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
What about this posted on HotSpots West
Dog to good home (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65445)

78Eliminator
12-08-2004, 12:27 PM
My next dog is going to be a pug ot a boston terrier.

R.A.D.man
12-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I am on my second mixed pit from the pound. Both half Dalmatian. Both have been great dogs. The Dalmatian half gives them a lot of energy and the pit half gives them strength. If you find one similar, only take it if you have a yard and will give them lots of attention. Otherwise, they will likely be rather destructive (based on my experiences). If you find one mixed with lab, my guess is that would be a little more docile of a mix but a good one at that. Mine have not had the customary big head trait handed down to them so most do not see the pit in them until they see them hang in the air with just their jaws. One was 100 pounds the second is just 55 so be prepared for a big one just in case you go for something similar. Many pits can be 100 pounds and the mixes can too.

AzLakeLizard
12-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Our Malamute Hybrid is amazing.. she has so much personality!.. We got her as a pup.. (running around with a yogurt cup on her face and ran into a door) She was the one for us! Now she is 6 and still as loving as ever!

Tequila-John
12-08-2004, 01:30 PM
I just put my dog to sleep this morning. He was 13. He lived a great life....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Aw mannn! I'm so sorry. That sux. :(

RiverDave
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss John. :( Always a sad day when we love the ones we love.
RD

Daytona19
12-08-2004, 01:34 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/262shadow_friend_pdf.jpg Mine is a pound puppy pit and shar-pi mix and its the most mellow and awesome dog I have owned. I have had 9 dogs since I was a kid and this was by far the easiest to trail and most loyal I have had yet.

78Eliminator
12-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I had to put down my moms dog a few years ago. It really shook me up. I hope you feel better in time.

Froggystyle
12-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Izzy three months ago...
http://www.tridentboats.com/news/16/Elvis+is+in+the+building_files/image017.jpg
Izzy three minutes ago...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8255&stc=1
Yeah... hyper.

Ziggy
12-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Awwww, Ain't I cute :p :p :p
No wonder I keep having this feeling of wanting to run towards Vista, 78's girlfriend is always calling me :D
How's Ziggy doing these days 78? I remember you had some worries early on with him(seizures or ??)

RiverOtter
12-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Easy now... It's not like we let the numbskull drown. :D

Rexone
12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Thats bullshit. I got one of my dogs from the pound and when I went there, she wanted nothing to do with me. If I didn't rescue her, she would have been put to sleep because she has epilepsy. I chose HER. She is the most loving dog now and wouldn't hurt a fly. I believe she had been mistreated because she still cowers if you raise your hand but has never shown one ounce of aggression. She sleeps with me every night and is the sweetest dog you could find.
I'd have to agree having quite a bit of pound experience. Many of them are just scared shitless of anyone and are good loving dogs. In fact my little Charley falls right into that category. Would not even acknowledge me at the pound, obviously previously abused by someone.
Charley today...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732charley2.jpg

Rexone
12-08-2004, 02:22 PM
It sucks John. :frown: Been through it 3 times now. All you can do is know you gave him the best life a dog could have.
John the following was shared with me when I lost my second dog (I didn't write it)... I will pass it on to you...
---------
A dog's prayer
by Beth Norman Harris
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce waging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.
And my beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 02:46 PM
John Im sorry to hear of your loss today it is not easy doing something like that. I had to do the same for my girl she was 16 but atleast they are in a better place now and not suffering..

MsDrmr
12-08-2004, 02:57 PM
okay okay, damn, just one persons opinion....I have never gotten a dog from the pound. I have just heard of people who have and I watch animal planet a lot and thats one of the methods they suggest when adopting a dog..
Sorry if I upset anyone

MsDrmr
12-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Easy now... It's not like we let the numbskull drown. :D
I know that, I was just playin with my fav. bunny. ;)

78Eliminator
12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
How's Ziggy doing these days 78? I remember you had some worries early on with him(seizures or ??)
He's pretty good. Has a seizure about once every two months. He has gone three without before, but then he might go and have two in one month, so it evens out. He's a good guy. Best dog I have ever had. Think it was my choice in names that made him so good??

Rexone
12-08-2004, 03:13 PM
He's pretty good. Has a seizure about once every two months. He has gone three without before, but then he might go and have two in one month, so it evens out. He's a good guy. Best dog I have ever had. Think it was my choice in names that made him so good??
My dog Jack had grand mall seizures most his life and lived to be 15.
No sweat here mrsdrmr :smile:

topless
12-08-2004, 03:14 PM
He's pretty good. Has a seizure about once every two months. He has gone three without before, but then he might go and have two in one month, so it evens out. He's a good guy. Best dog I have ever had. Think it was my choice in names that made him so good??It's scary as hell when they have sezures. I have mine on phenabarbitol.

78Eliminator
12-08-2004, 03:14 PM
My dog Jack had grand mall seizures most his life and lived to be 15.
No sweat here mrsdrmr :smile:
Every time he has one I stress out and think he is going to die. :frown:

Froggystyle
12-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Another 1 minute ago.
I keep hoping that she will calm down one of these days... ;)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8256&stc=1

Hallett19
12-08-2004, 03:24 PM
P.S. did you buy that oilwell yet? Fair trade on the 20 bucks iIspent on your movie, I have watched a few times..The lesbo scene is still the best part! :D :D
No, no oil well yet, but now I know why I got a residual check the other day :D I'm glad you like that part, unfortanatley, you didnt get to see it be filmed..... like I did ;)
And about my affair with Izzy, that is between her and I..... ahhhhh thank you....

Lightning
12-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Another 1 minute ago.
She must have been in this pose when H19 had the affair with her.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Im getting a new dog too but Im torn between a english springer spaniel like colas a goldendoodle or a Labradoodle decissions decissions
I've had two English Springers and they are great dogs! Cola's dog is awesome!

Hallett19
12-08-2004, 03:27 PM
All the dogs come over to us when we were there..... :rolleyes:

Norseman
12-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Golden Retriever,
We've had one for about 7 years, got it when the kids were small.
The dog loves to be with people, and loves the water! In the summer Joan lets it swim in the pool for about a hour a day. She loves going to the river, I'm not sure how she'll be in the Rayson, but she did sink me once in the canoe. ;)

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 03:50 PM
I've had two English Springers and they are great dogs! Cola's dog is awesome!
I went and looked at them today god they are beautiful dogs I think Im going back tonight to give a deposit......

cola
12-08-2004, 04:17 PM
I went and looked at them today god they are beautiful dogs I think Im going back tonight to give a deposit......
Who's dogs are you looking at E4L. We love ours, if you spend time at the water make sure you start with a breed that supposed to like water. No guarantee they will. Labs are cool also.
Late,Mike

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Some english springer spaniels. I dont know what I want though. I have liked these breeds for awhile..

Havasu Cig
12-08-2004, 04:25 PM
My last 4 dogs have been Pits. Hands down the best dogs I have ever owned.

welk2party
12-08-2004, 04:29 PM
This is our lake beast. She goes nuts for the water. We take her about half of the time. Love the Labs.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1543Tahoe_003.jpg

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Yea Im torn its either gonna be a labradoodle or a english springer spaniel :confused:

cola
12-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Remember the gelcoat & interior. KC weights around 45lbs. that is about max size to have in the boat every weekend. I have had 90lbs + dog in the boat a few time & I hated it.
Late, Mike

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Sold im going to give my deposit tonight does that mean I cant sit my fat ass on the seats anymore ha ha

cola
12-08-2004, 04:36 PM
She gets to sleep with you. Lucky dog ;)

Tequila-John
12-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I didn't mean to take over the thread.

JB in so cal
12-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Yea Im torn its either gonna be a labradoodle or a english springer spaniel :confused:
I've got one. Except when we got it 8 years ago, it was just a puppy from a litter with a Lab mom and a (suspected) offending Standard Poodle Dad. Great dog unless there's little ones around - doesn't like kids one bit. Growls, etc. Snapped at a neighbor kid (wouldn't listen to us about the fact she doesn't like kids) Who knew this would be the first of a new ($1000) breed!
JB

WUTWZAT
12-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Ah how cute, he looks like a real dog only smaller, I have Westhighland White Terrier. Its a great all around dog. Loves to play out doors and on the boat, is a good traveler. Its very protective when he needs to be but is great around the kids who tug and pull on him. He is small and adapts well to being in a house or condo or even hotel room but loves a big yard. Orig breed to hunt varmints like gophers and large rats. Doesn't shed or leave hair messes cause he's a short hair. Another good dog with these characteristics and sounds like the dog you said you loved is an Austrailian Sheppard. A little larger than my dog, but can still get in your lap without crushing you if you like and a bigger for a little more protection.
My dog is great, if its dark or if someone is there that I can't really see, if I question???? Who is it, or ask him whos there...... He'll growl real low and long, If I want him to stop. I tell him its ok...... If I don't tell him that, he stays on guard until I tell him its ok.... But there are lots of great dogs out there. You just gotta find the one that fits first your lifestyle, and then your personallity.
Jason

MsDrmr
12-08-2004, 05:44 PM
This is my Killerhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1447DSC00703.JPG

ahhell
12-08-2004, 06:43 PM
best water dogs are retrievers (labs, goldens)http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518108_0868-thumb.jpg
but does it deliver beer????http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518perfectdog-thumb.jpg

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 06:45 PM
This is my Killerhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1447DSC00703.JPG
That is a corgi right??

Goldilocks
12-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Take a good look at Golden Retrievers - Matt and Jen's dog Buddy is a great friend. and docile - right Jen :)
You're right :)
Golden's are great dogs. They love absolutely everybody and love the water too.
I would love a border collie too. They are great dogs as well, and yes, they are very smart. I would go with that one, unless there is a golden retriever in the pound :)

MsDrmr
12-08-2004, 08:01 PM
That is a corgi right??
Yes, she is a Purebred, show quality Corgi..She has a wonderful personality, she loves to play with toys, run and retrieve them, she loves the water, loves to run and she is with is where ever we go.

Goldilocks
12-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Another 1 minute ago.
Awwww, I love Izzy. Bud loves her too :)
Dogs are the best!! :rollside:

Eliminator 4 Life
12-08-2004, 08:07 PM
I bought a springer spaniel today she is almost 6 weeks. I will have some pics by the weekend :D :D

Phat Matt
12-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Here's one of Izzy and Bud a couple of weeks ago. CALM DOWN DOGGIES! ;) :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524Image_56_.jpg

Hallett19
12-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I am 95% on for the border collie, 5% for the brindle. The border collie, her name is Molly, is very shy, but her owners just died and she just got taken into the shelter on Tuesday. Hershey, the brindle/sheperd/pit has been there almost a month, so he is more used to the environment. He is well trained and already sits and lays down and gets calm on a dime, just hold him still for a few seconds and he just looks at you and mellows out. But as far as the age, Molly is 5 yrs, Hershey is 4 months, Molly will take much less training and since she is already trained, I'm 100% positive she is house trained, that and I really really like her disposition and if she is anything like Izzy, she even looks alot like Izzy :D Hershey also isnt fixed, so I think once he gets fixed, he will be more calm. The only thing is, he jump like he has springs on his feet, and the fence at my g/f's house is only about 4 1/2 ft high, which I think this dog could scale as it sits, I couldnt imagine when he is 1 yr old. My g/f basically put the decision in my hands, so I hope I make the right decision with Molly, I will try to get a picture of her today, and a picture of Hershey. Thanks for all your input everyone, now that I have it narrowed down to these two, it gets really hard. But at the pasadena shelter, there is a great chocolate lab that just came in, real pretty and very cool.

topless
12-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Take Molly. Since she is older, she will be harder to place and might be put to sleep if you don't. :confused:

MsDrmr
12-09-2004, 10:23 AM
take the one that you love, or take both...Go back and visit, you'll know what to do. Go with your first instinct, they are always righ

Hallett19
12-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Topless, that is the exact mindset I'm in, I dont want that dog to be neglected by everyone because of her age. The puppy will more than likley be adopted fairly quickly. And Havasu Cig, how are pitbulls with water, the stories about them sinking to the bottom of the pool kind of concern me, even though Hershey isnt full pit....

MsDrmr
12-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Topless, that is the exact mindset I'm in, I dont want that dog to be neglected by everyone because of her age. The puppy will more than likley be adopted fairly quickly. And Havasu Cig, how are pitbulls with water, the stories about them sinking to the bottom of the pool kind of concern me, even though Hershey isnt full pit....
there ya go then, what are you waiting for, go get your new baby girl and give her a wonderful life..she's waiting..... :smile:

Hallett19
12-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Since Molly is a stray, she wont be ready till the 18th, they need to wait for the owner to claim her...... yeah, the owners died, but they "need to follow regulations", why they cant make an acception in this situation, I dont know :confused: But I am now 98% sure about that dog.

MsDrmr
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Since Molly is a stray, she wont be ready till the 18th, they need to wait for the owner to claim her...... yeah, the owners died, but they "need to follow regulations", why they cant make an acception in this situation, I dont know :confused: But I am now 98% sure about that dog.
Well, visit her often and let her get used to you, that way when you pick her up to take her home, she will Know you, and be excited to go with you.
Also, let the shelter know right away that she is the one you want.

Ziggy
12-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Glad he's doing fine.......Its gotta be the name...all us Ziggy's are way cool :D

cola
12-09-2004, 01:09 PM
You're right :)
Golden's are great dogs. They love absolutely everybody and love the water too.
I would love a border collie too. They are great dogs as well, and yes, they are very smart. I would go with that one, unless there is a golden retriever in the pound :)
Sometimes she don't love Frenchies dog. amdr :cool:

Hallett19
12-09-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm going to call later today and confirm, but unfortanatley, they wont let us socialize until the dog becomes available. And now that I think "out of the box" on this, there is a "worse case scenario" option here. Lets say a family member comes back to claim Molly, and Hershey gets adopted next week and I get rat focked. :frown:

78Eliminator
12-09-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm going to call later today and confirm, but unfortanatley, they wont let us socialize until the dog becomes available. And now that I think "out of the box" on this, there is a "worse case scenario" option here. Lets say a family member comes back to claim Molly, and Hershey gets adopted next week and I get rat focked. :frown:
WHich one has the bigger ass hole?

Froggystyle
12-09-2004, 02:41 PM
I would personally never own a male dog I intended to have in social situations. Females are more easily brought into big crowds and kids and other dogs in my opinion.
That, and they really don't spend a lot of time pissing on things they like or want to make theirs. Males pretty much spend ALL of their time doing that.
Plus who wants their leg humped all the time?
Don't get me wrong, male dogs are loyal like nobody's business, and if you want a more aggressive dog, males can be the good choice. Females are generally more protective, males are generally more aggressive.
Anyway, I will only have females from now on. I would go with Molly....

Ziggy
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
We're pretty sure our pup is half Pit.....she's very lean and muscular but will swim around at the lake like there's no tomorrow. Super cool to watch her, she tucks in her two hind legs and only uses her fronts to doggie paddle. Literally, she will swim nonstop for hours. She looks like a beaver cruising around. She is even one of those that won't try to climb up on you and stratch the shit out of you, she'll just come swim by and be happy you acknowledge her. :smile:

Hallett19
12-09-2004, 03:23 PM
well Justin, I have not assesed asshole size yet, however, I will take a basic eye measurement soon, then, when given the opportunity, use a ruler with me to get the official size. I will let you know when I get the results :D
Wes, how old is the Penizz Nozzle Dizzle Sizzle Fizzle ?

Hallett19
12-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Anyone ???? :cool:

Havasu Cig
12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
The one that I had that I took to the beach did not like the water, but would follow me out into the surf. I don't think they are big on water activites but the swim fine if they have to.
As far as males being more aggressive, I think it really depends on the dog. My current male is 100 pounds of solid muscle and has the biggest head I have seen on a dog but he is really easy going. He is very protective but never gets aggresive in public places or around people or kids. If he is in his yard or house he is fine if we are there. The only thing he really hates are coyotes.
I feel safe leaving my wife at home with him alone because I know he would rip someone a new a$$hole if they entered the house and tryed to hurt her. I ran over his foot in my car and really did some serious damage (compound fractures ect...) and he acted like it did not hurt him. If you yell at him though he gets his feelings hurt. The #1 things with Pits is pleasing their owners. I really can't say enough good things about them. Good luck.

Froggystyle
12-09-2004, 03:48 PM
The one that I had that I took to the beach did not like the water, but would follow me out into the surf. I don't think they are big on water activites but the swim fine if they have to.
As far as males being more aggressive, I think it really depends on the dog. My current male is 100 pounds of solid muscle and has the biggest head I have seen on a dog but he is really easy going. He is very protective but never gets aggresive in public places or around people or kids. If he is in his yard or house he is fine if we are there. The only thing he really hates are coyotes.
I feel safe leaving my wife at home with him alone because I know he would rip someone a new a$$hole if they entered the house and tryed to hurt her. I ran over his foot in my car and really did some serious damage (compound fractures ect...) and he acted like it did not hurt him. If you yell at him though he gets his feelings hurt. The #1 things with Pits is pleasing their owners. I really can't say enough good things about them. Good luck.
I have heard the same about a lot of pits. RD has a great one too.

hava life
12-09-2004, 04:03 PM
This is my second rot and I have to say he is the biggest baby and mommas boy. Find a good dog that you like and likes you. Just don't get one and get rid of it because you don't like the dog anymore.

NitroMan
12-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Doggie Dogg!!!!! :crossx: :sqeyes: :D

Phat Matt
12-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Sometimes she don't love Frenchies dog. amdr :cool:
Yeah, that one got a little bloody. :jawdrop: I think I got the worst end of it though. Being in the middle of those two trying to seperate them wasn't to easy. :D

ahhell
12-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I think yours does....nice ?

cola
12-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Yeah, that one got a little bloody. :jawdrop: I think I got the worst end of it though. Being in the middle of those two trying to seperate them wasn't to easy. :D
I heard them from my room & was glad it wasn't me in there. It did look like it hurt. Big Lacy picking on your little dog. j/k :cool:

Phat Matt
12-09-2004, 07:24 PM
I heard them from my room & was glad it wasn't me in there. It did look like it hurt. Big Lacy picking on your little dog. j/k :cool:
Yeah, Bud had blood on his face. To bad it wasn't his. :boxingguy :D He was wearing it like war paint. :p

Hallett19
12-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Come on...... nobody ??????

Hallett19
12-11-2004, 02:26 PM
here are a few shots of Molly :smile:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DSCN4108.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DSCN4104.JPG

Hallett19
12-11-2004, 02:28 PM
sorry about the size of the pictures ....
here are two of Hershey :smile:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DSCN4111.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DSCN4112.JPG

f311fr1
12-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Mollie looks just like my 8 year old lab/dalmation femail mix. The best behaved of our three. Mollie gets my vote.