PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Dual Carbs

Taylorman
02-15-2002, 04:23 PM
I have a 455 in my Taylor. Basically stock except for cam. Im running Bassetts and an Offy tunnel ram with a single Edelbrock 750. I experience a hesitation when the secondaries on the carb start to open. Has anyone ever heard of this problem and a possible solution. I am thinking about switching to a dual carb setup, either dual Edelbrock 500's or dual holleys. I have heard that with a tunnel ram, its best to run dual carbs. Please repond, as I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

Taylorman
02-15-2002, 04:28 PM
I forgot to mention that the hesitation only occurs just at the point when the secondaries start to open for about 100 rpms.Once you accelerate past that, it runs fine. Don't bash the 455, If I had my choice I'd have a 540 Merlin blown but $$$$$$$$$$$prevents that. Thanks.

froggystyle
02-15-2002, 05:24 PM
You are definitely better off with two carbs. The tunnel ram you are describing is designed to shoot one carb down one set of runners, and one down the other. The small single carb thing probably defeats the purpose of the tunnel ram anyway.
Your hesitation is probably coming from a bad vacuum signal at the carb, way up on top of that manifold. Usually you need to reference vacuum carbs lower on the manifold in this type of an application. A good carb shop may be able to direct you to a different type of vacuum spring to better open the secondaries on time.

Taylorman
02-16-2002, 08:19 AM
The carb has mechanical secondaries, not vaccum. Thanks for the info.