PDA

View Full Version : My Boat is DONE!!!

Huckleberry
04-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I am so friggin stoked! Back in October 2004, yes 2004, I blew a motor in my Daytona. I took it to GT Performance in Montclair to have them rebuild both motors and do a few minor upgrades. It took them a full year to finish it, or so I thought it was finished.
I took it to the Zoo in October 2005 for the first time after it was supposedly done. It had major gas leaks off the carbs and would not idle for chit! It stalled every time you put it in gear, which makes it real ugly trying to dock, beach or try to navigate the channel in a 33-foot boat. I took it back to GT Performance that same weekend and told them what needed to be fixed.
After another six months at GT the only thing they claimed to have fixed was the gas leak. I called them every few weeks to get a status repoprt on my boat. Every time I called I was told that we are still waiting for "Carl" to come to work. Carl is a "sobriety-challenged" person who used to work for GT and is supposed to be a guru at tuning/dialing in motors. He only comes to work when he needs $$$$ for booze, and he has not showed up for six months!
Now I'm a patient man, but my patience ran out. Three weeks ago I stopped by GT unannounced. I found my boat had been sitting outside all frigging winter long! If had known they weren't going to work on it all winter long, I would have at least put in my indoor storage unit! Now I'm really pissed! I told them I'm taking my boat. While I'm hooking it up to my truck, not ten words were exchanged between Gary and I. This is too bad as my wife worked for GT for a while and really liked it. Gary is a really cool guy, but he completely blew me off and dropped the ball on my boat. Not even a sorry, f-you, or any explanation for their letting it sit and not finishing it.
I took it to Aaron at Absolute to dial it in two weeks ago. When we got to the launch ramp, not only was the gas leak not fixed, but the idiots at GT must have laid on top of the headers on the starboard motor. This caused the flange from the headers to the pipe that exits the transom to have a massive exhaust leak. This motor also was not pumping any water (I put brand new $750 two-stage billet water pumps on the motors during the rebuild and it isn't working!) The port motor also had issues. I had a short and kept on dying. A few gauges were not hooked up either. We never even made it off the launch ramp. Aaron just shook his head when he saw the crap they left undone!
Aaron felt so bad that I had been treated like this. He is a stand-up guy! Aaron assured me they would make it right. I got the call today that it's DONE!!! I'm going down Wed-Fri for him to lake dial it in for me for the poker run. It's been a long time since this whole ordeal started! I pray this is the last of it! Wish me luck guys!

deltarat
04-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Good luck :) I am sorry that you had so many problems with GT, I always heard that they were the $hit. I guess some time just slip through the cracks, but two years is just absolutely ridiculous!! I hope you get to enjoy a trouble free season on the water this year.

bear down
04-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Holy smokes, I remember the story when you helped me out and still can't believe you were still dealing with the issue. Hope you were able to recoupe some of the $$$$ you dumped into this boat with him. Any ways, congrats and we'll see you on the water this year!

TOBTEK
04-18-2006, 05:48 AM
WOW..... thats a horror story right there. I've heard Gary is slow, but thats crazy. Hope it turns out well for you.....

NOTALENT
04-18-2006, 05:52 AM
Wow....another one for Aaron. Glad to hear it's being taken care of...it suck's that you had to deal with such mess.....for something to take that long is just ridiculous.

OGShocker
04-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Sorry Huck'
I have no idea why people continue to use GT. Yeah, Gary is an alright guy to talk with, but shit like this is NOT that uncommon. Just because someone wispers in your ear while they are tappin' yur azz doesn't mean you're not gettin' focked. :mad: my .02
That is just one more reason we use B&D Marine in El Monte. While in Havasu it's Absolute!!!

Huckleberry
04-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Like I said, Gary is an awesome guy, but there was no excuse for this. I too have always heard he was awesome, that's why I took it there in the first place. Even though there a some serious problems there it still amazes me the quality of the boats that still pass through there; Predator, Alien, Terrible's, Jay's rocket Fountain...
God I hope this goes well Thursday! I can't say enough good about Aaron's handling of this so far. He's A-One in my book. It's time to start enjoying this boat for a change.

Charley
04-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Confucious say:
Like a slow massage, you must look forward to the happy ending :)
Good luck Huck!

sofa king smooth
04-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Sounds about right for Gt marine! Have plenty of stories just like that. Gary use to be good but he has lost it along with the majority of his big customers.
Go to Prime Marine they take care of it right.

jbtrailerjim
04-19-2006, 06:54 AM
2 years and it wasn't even fixed when you pulled it out of there? Wow you have a lot more patience than me. That is just ridiculous and GT sounds like a joke. If I treated customers like that at my shop, I'd be out of business. Hopefully your troubles with your boat are behind you and you can now enjoy it.

don johnson
04-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Hey YL neighbor, cannot believe that you had such a bad experience with Gary. He has always been on top of my stuff. However it has been a few years since he has worked on my boat.
Look forward to seeing my fellow 33 Daytona out on the lake this year!

Huckleberry
04-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Confucious say:
Like a slow massage, you must look forward to the happy ending :)
Good luck Huck!
Good one Charley! Ya got me ROFLMFAO!!!!! I now have a new siggy line thanks to you! :D :rollside: :D I just spoke with Aaron and he said they backflushed the cooling systems and found a bunch of crap in there. He can only figure it was from the rebuild as the impellers were perfect! They had the carbs so far out of adjustment it wasn't even funny. Both motors had exhaust leaks at the headers which only needed the bolts to be retightened after it was warmed up. He said she purrs like a tiger waiting to roar now!!! I can't wait! I'm leaving in about an hour to get down there for our lake dial in at 8:00 AM tomorrow!! Yipeee!!!! I'm friggin excited again!

Not So Fast
04-19-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm confused, is this Gary the one who builds for Howard? it gets confusing what with GT Marine (is that Gary Taylor), then is it TPI that does Howard? And that would be Taylor Performance Inc.??????????? NSF

Kilrtoy
04-19-2006, 09:38 AM
WOW, that sucks....
hopefully everything is fixed and you can have agreat year

Phat Matt
04-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm confused, is this Gary the one who builds for Howard? it gets confusing what with GT Marine (is that Gary Taylor), then is it TPI that does Howard? And that would be Taylor Performance Inc.??????????? NSF
You are right, you are confused. ;)
www.gtmarine.com
www.tpboats.com
Two different peeps. :)

Huckleberry
04-19-2006, 09:44 AM
WOW, that sucks....
hopefully everything is fixed and you can have agreat year
Thanks!

Not So Fast
04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
You are right, you are confused. ;)
www.gtmarine.com
www.tpboats.com
Two different peeps. :)
Yup, you're right :idea: always confused. Not that I care, what with having a 496 they mean nuthin to me, just like to know who's being strung up. :D NSF

Desert Rat
04-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Not the most commen of names, any relation to This Teague (http://www.teaguecustommarine.com/contact_us.html) ??

Huckleberry
04-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Not the most commen of names, any relation to This Teague (http://www.teaguecustommarine.com/contact_us.html) ??
One would think they are related, being in the same industry, in the same county, with same last name. But they are not related in any way at all. Once you've met both of them you'd immediately know there's no way they could even possibly be related.

dm25advantage
04-19-2006, 12:41 PM
sorry to heard about that. aaron is a great guy and they done great work too.

Havasu Cig
04-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I had some problems with GT in Dana Point with my Cig and would never go back after that. I always used Teague (Bob) after that and it was worth the 3 1/2 hours tow from S.D.

unleashed
04-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Like I said, Gary is an awesome guy, but there was no excuse for this. I too have always heard he was awesome, that's why I took it there in the first place. Even though there a some serious problems there it still amazes me the quality of the boats that still pass through there; Predator, Alien, Terrible's, Jay's rocket Fountain...
God I hope this goes well Thursday! I can't say enough good about Aaron's handling of this so far. He's A-One in my book. It's time to start enjoying this boat for a change.
Why do you consider Gary so Awesome???? Those words would not even be written if he pulled the same shiat with me. How about he took two Freaking years to do my boat and its still not done right. How about he has no consideration for a good customer. How about he left my boat outside in the elements forever. How about...he didnt even acknowledge me when I got the boat. How about a big F/U...there I said it for you!! You are being way to nice about this. Now I just want to hear the other side of the story as Im sure there is one?? I just dont like it when I hear this kind of crap....it pains me that your beautiful boat has sat forever. I remember when you first got it and I never seen it on the water now I know why! :rolleyes:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

Kilrtoy
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
You are not the only one...
Who exactly is this and what city are they located in

boatnam2
04-19-2006, 02:12 PM
man dont let andy01 hear about this he is always on the gt meat stick.

Marty Gras
04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
"Not so fast" Gary Taylor (GT 113MPH Howard Bullet fame) has NOTHING to do with this problem! This (problem) person is Gary Teague, GT Marine. Gary Taylor is way too detail fixated to not test the boat himself prior to delivery. Gary Taylor is a former drag boat champion so he knows about safety and performance issues. He also is a consumer, so he never forgets the SERVICE aspect either! It's too bad some "have a name" and can't/ won't do the work, then others can and will do the work correctly, but they can't get their name out to those who need help.

Huckleberry
04-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Why do you consider Gary so Awesome???? Those words would not even be written if he pulled the same shiat with me. How about he took two Freaking years to do my boat and its still not done right. How about he has no consideration for a good customer. How about he left my boat outside in the elements forever. How about...he didnt even acknowledge me when I got the boat. How about a big F/U...there I said it for you!! You are being way to nice about this. Now I just want to hear the other side of the story as Im sure there is one?? I just dont like it when I hear this kind of crap....it pains me that your beautiful boat has sat forever. I remember when you first got it and I never seen it on the water now I know why! :rolleyes:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
Deano,
Gary is truly a nice guy. I just wouldn't take my boat back there as being a nice guy doesn't make up the the shiat I had to go through with my boat. I thought I was alone with my GT nightmare. When I was beached in Steamboat Cove Thrusday I was next to a 29 Shockwave that had a GT-built Whippled 540. It was in GT for six months "waiting for Carl" after it melted down. Dustin Whipple finally had to come down and fix his boat.
The rest of the story? My wife also worked for GT for about 10 months. He did a good part of this while she worked there! How many times was I there visiting my wife when I went and made parts runs for them, or how many times did I pull a boat from point A to point B, how many hours I spent making letterhead for them, the hours I spent making some pretty bitchen price lists for GT to give to Eliminator, or the three days of hard, grunt labor I gave to move the business from Montclair to Upland, and the eight guys we brought to help out. Gary Paid the other guys, but my time was free. When I posted this I was very careful about making sure I put nothing but true facts out here as I am well aware of liable/slander laws. Every bit of what I posted can be verified by calling Rudy at GT, or those who know Mike Misplay, Mike knows the full story also. I would like to think Gary gave me some type of consideration when the final bill came, but I'm not so sure about that as I crapped when I saw the bottom line. No BS here, just the straight scoop.
On a positive note...Aaron did a great job on the boat. I ran it for several hours on Thursday and it runs real strong up top, and idles MUCH better than ever. They also fixed the f-ups from GT. Now I'm looking for a nice used set of Herrings as my 17 X 35 cleavers are too small. Need more prop and taller gears for sure.

andy01
04-23-2006, 06:19 AM
I find this truely hard to believe. Everybody has had problems somewhere, not everybody is happy all the time. I know Gary had problems in Dana Point when he took over the service for Dick Simon Marine. A lot of the Dana Point stuff was that he was just to busy to get down there and watch over the guys.
As for his work and time to get stuff done. He has never taken forever to do anything for me. I have always been super happy with his service. I have had a DCB rigged there, drive and gimbal replaced and a lot of other little services and such. Never had a problem, he takes cares of my Spectre now and is going to rig my next boat. He also takes care of Riverlivers Daytona and SVO540's DCB that he also rigged.
I will find out the other side of this story and post it later............
Andy

Not So Fast
04-23-2006, 06:29 AM
"Not so fast" Gary Taylor (GT 113MPH Howard Bullet fame) has NOTHING to do with this problem! This (problem) person is Gary Teague, GT Marine. Gary Taylor is way too detail fixated to not test the boat himself prior to delivery. Gary Taylor is a former drag boat champion so he knows about safety and performance issues. He also is a consumer, so he never forgets the SERVICE aspect either! It's too bad some "have a name" and can't/ won't do the work, then others can and will do the work correctly, but they can't get their name out to those who need help.
Thanks MG, unless you are in the know about this it is confusing as to who is who, two Teagues and not related :rollside: GT is not Gary Taylor :idea: All logical assumptions so I'm (we) glad you set it straight. Thanks again!! NSF

boatnam2
04-23-2006, 07:02 AM
man dont let andy01 hear about this he is always on the gt meat stick.
see what i mean!

1manshow
04-23-2006, 07:22 AM
I find this truely hard to believe. Everybody has had problems somewhere, not everybody is happy all the time. I know Gary had problems in Dana Point when he took over the service for Dick Simon Marine. A lot of the Dana Point stuff was that he was just to busy to get down there and watch over the guys.
As for his work and time to get stuff done. He has never taken forever to do anything for me. I have always been super happy with his service. I have had a DCB rigged there, drive and gimbal replaced and a lot of other little services and such. Never had a problem, he takes cares of my Spectre now and is going to rig my next boat. He also takes care of Riverlivers Daytona and SVO540's DCB that he also rigged.
Andy
I agree with andy01 also, i just had a new motor built and boat was rigged by gt and boat was in and out in a very reasonable time. Also, the final bill was also very resonable considering the quality of their workmanship. just my .02

Not So Fast
04-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I agree with andy01 also, i just had a new motor built and boat was rigged by gt and boat was in and out in a very reasonable time. Also, the final bill was also very resonable considering the quality of their workmanship. just my .02
Yeah, but you had to give him free milk for life :D :D :D NSF

Havasu Hangin'
04-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Gary's always done my stuff, and he's never been late. In fact, he was usually calling me to come and get my boat because he had no room at the old shop.
Sorry to hear about your problems- no way I would have let that happen...I would have been picking mine up after it was a week late, let alone a year.

1manshow
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but you had to give him free milk for life :D :D :D NSF
Yeah, i should so we can help get rid of the over supply.

Huckleberry
04-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Andy
When you do, ask him how long my boat was there before the two motors were finished. It was brought in the first week of October 2004. When I took it to GT, I told Gary that I was done for the season, so they don't have to jump right into it, so long as I have if ready for spring. Gary agreed and said this worked for him as he had some boats he needed to get out right away. And I meant spring 2005, not 2006! It came out of his shop for the first time the second week of October 2005. I have receipts to prove this. Then, I brought it back three days after I picked it up. I took it to Havasu and it had the problems I listed. It was at GT waiting for these repairs until I picked up beacuse I was tired of waiting six months for Carl. If Gary is honest (Which I still believe he is an honest, nice guy) with you, you will get the same info. Again...I have paperwork to prove this. No BS.

Never Satisfied
04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, i should so we can help get rid of the over supply.
Bitch Bitch Bitch! :crossx:

andy01
04-24-2006, 05:49 PM
When you do, ask him how long my boat was there before the two motors were finished. It was brought in the first week of October 2004. When I took it to GT, I told Gary that I was done for the season, so they don't have to jump right into it, so long as I have if ready for spring. Gary agreed and said this worked for him as he had some boats he needed to get out right away. And I meant spring 2005, not 2006! It came out of his shop for the first time the second week of October 2005. I have receipts to prove this. Then, I brought it back three days after I picked it up. I took it to Havasu and it had the problems I listed. It was at GT waiting for these repairs until I picked up beacuse I was tired of waiting six months for Carl. If Gary is honest (Which I still believe he is an honest, nice guy) with you, you will get the same info. Again...I have paperwork to prove this. No BS.
I talked to Gary on Sunday about this........... his story is a little different then yours.......... but atleast you got free boat storage for 6 months...........
Andy

Huckleberry
04-24-2006, 09:19 PM
No, I didn't get free storage. It was there WAITING FOR THEM TO FINISH IT!!! I don't think having my boat there waiting for them to finish it constitutes free storage. I have been paying for a storage unit all the time my boat was there. I would have much rather had my boat in its indoor storage, done, than have it sitting outside for six months waiting for Carl.
So if Gary's story was a little differnt, what did he have to say that was different???