PDA

View Full Version : new type packing for jet?

wet77
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Anyone use that new type seal from dons pump service that replaces the packing rings on the pump shaft?
There was a article in the last ***boat magazine about it and it looks like a good idea.
I am in the process of rebuilding the pump and now if ever would be the time to try it out :D

UBFJ #454
12-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Henry Morris showed me a couple of them here at the World Finals and I looked them over very carefully ... When time comes for a rebuild or change of our current pump we will use them. The speciality material that they are built from is far superior to what is typically used today, the cost isn't all that bad for what they are and I know that anything Don puts out on the market has been Well Thought Out, Well Tested and, is Top Notch ... Usually, I don't comment in cases like this, but, I really liked what Henry showed me.

TRG
12-08-2004, 04:19 PM
what is the cost??????

sidewound
12-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Here's a link to some space age GURU stuff.
Space age GURU packing replacement (http://www.tom-pac.com/compound.htm)
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

mickeyfinn
12-08-2004, 05:11 PM
I posted a leak to the Tom Pac stuff a year or so ago. We have been using it for about 10 years in our pumps in wastewater plants. Much less shaft wear. Goes in under pressure with something that resembles a grease gun. They actually 2 grades of the stuff. One is for applications like wastewater or industrial pumps and the other is typically used in Water treatment pumps. It is NSF certified and can be used in drinking water plants. If you are going to use this in a jet boat I would advise the NSF approved stuff. Also keep a gun full of the material in the boat as it will "go away" over time and you will see the leak get slightly worse. You can tighten the packing gland to slow the leak down but we see less shaft wear if we just "top it off".

sidewound
12-08-2004, 05:18 PM
I posted a leak to the Tom Pac stuff a year or so ago.
Probably where I got the link. I thought I remember good things being said about it in the thread. :messedup:
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

UBFJ #454
12-08-2004, 05:21 PM
The Tom-Pac "Stuff" Was Not What I Was Shown ... Not at least in the form that was showm on the above mentioned website.
Since I don't get Hot Boat Magazine, maybe someone could post a picture of what wet77 was referring to ... I could be talking about something totally different than you guys.

Oldsquirt
12-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Bear, I think Wet77 is talking about the same seal that was previously discussed in this thread:New Pump Shaft Seal (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62906)
......And I'm still waiting for someone to post a pic of one......

UBFJ #454
12-08-2004, 06:07 PM
OLDSQUIRT ... Thanks ... Just looking for a picture before I comment further, if at all.

wet77
12-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Bear, I think Wet77 is talking about the same seal that was previously discussed in this thread:New Pump Shaft Seal (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62906)
......And I'm still waiting for someone to post a pic of one......
Here is a pic right out of ***boat :rollside:
Hope there is no copyright problems :squiggle:

WheelerDealer
12-08-2004, 06:10 PM
When I was picking up my boat at Hi-Tech a few weeks ago Duane showed me one and it looked like a pretty slick deal, I liked it and will be trying one myself.

UBFJ #454
12-08-2004, 06:16 PM
wet77 ... Thanks for the picture ... That's the Item Henry showed me and I stand behind what I said above.

Jake W2
12-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Mine cost me around 89 bucks.Very nice looking pice.
Jake

wet77
12-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Now is the seal I posted in the pic installed without using the metal hold down and bolts??
I am thinking that this seal would have less drag on the shaft right??

Jake W2
12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
No that is what holdes it in just like the ropes.
Jake

pops1
12-10-2004, 09:34 AM
I posted a leak to the Tom Pac stuff a year or so ago. We have been using it for about 10 years in our pumps in wastewater plants. Much less shaft wear. Goes in under pressure with something that resembles a grease gun. They actually 2 grades of the stuff. One is for applications like wastewater or industrial pumps and the other is typically used in Water treatment pumps. It is NSF certified and can be used in drinking water plants. If you are going to use this in a jet boat I would advise the NSF approved stuff. Also keep a gun full of the material in the boat as it will "go away" over time and you will see the leak get slightly worse. You can tighten the packing gland to slow the leak down but we see less shaft wear if we just "top it off".1) Seals typ. cut grooves, thats why a shaft sleeve is used for the front seal. I have bought 5 from Don to look at and test. Are you saying this will not occure. 2) Replacement causes shaft pull -vs- Inplace new packing install. What are the most hours put on one so far.3) Are you drilling to insert a grease fitting in your to get pressure or what.

ARS Marine inc.east
12-11-2004, 01:35 AM
Pick'd up the new pieces from don myself easy to install
Looks like it should work like a Champ
No more drag
Racing

Taylor LP
12-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Anyone have a link to Don's webpage? Can't find it in the search engines anymore.

sanger rat
12-11-2004, 09:09 PM
This is all you are going to get right now. http://www.donspumpservice.com/

Taylor LP
12-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh well, thanks anyway!

TomPac
01-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi guys,
We noticed your thread during a search.
You can see the online installation video by going here:
www.tom-pac.com/movie/movie2.html
You can get our contact info, email adress and details on the product over here:
www.tom-pac.com

sanger rat
01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
I guess I'll give a update for Don's packing seal. Ran it all last summer with no troubles. :) Would I buy one again? Yes.

wet77
01-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah, went with the seal also from HTP and it works great!
Went all last summer without any problems :crossx:

Rondane
01-27-2006, 11:58 PM
1) Seals typ. cut grooves, thats why a shaft sleeve is used for the front seal. I have bought 5 from Don to look at and test. Are you saying this will not occure. 2) Replacement causes shaft pull -vs- Inplace new packing install. What are the most hours put on one so far.3) Are you drilling to insert a grease fitting in your to get pressure or what.
I would think this new shaft seal would be great at first, until it wears a groove after continuous use. Same scenario as the bowl seal, wears a groove in the shaft and the bowl wont hold oil anymore. The old standby packing is the way to go, short term and long term. Years of use without any problem and 1/3rd the cost. Of course don will beg to differ. :D