PDA

View Full Version : I'm cookin' chicken and listening to the Beach Boys

rrrr
12-08-2004, 08:43 PM
I've been doing some cooking tonight, and there is a big chicken roasting in the convection oven with carrots and potatoes, along with chopped garlic, onions, green olives, mushrooms, and a bunch of spices.
So while this has been going on I'm listening to the Beach Boys "Sounds of Summer", released in 2003. All my favorites are on this CD. Those of you that grew up in SoCal prolly don't know the effect this music had on everyone else around the country.
I imagined California as the Promised Land, and my first visit when I was 17 met all my expectations. Cripes, I thought I was gonna go into convulsions on Newport Beach looking at the girls. :D
Not only that, I am a sorta a musician, and admire Brian Wilson very much. His talent is apparent, and like some who have that talent he struggles with mental issues. The story of the Wilson brothers along with Al Jardine and Mike Love is very compelling. Of course you can't forget Carol Kaye, who played bass on all their recordings. Glen Campbell also did a lot of session work, and toured with the band when Brian was incapacitated with his mental illness.
It's sad that Dennis Wilson lost his battle with substance abuse and drowned next to his boat. Carl Wilson died from cancer in 1998, and so the only family member left is the musical genius Brian.
So my chicken is almost done. I'm listening to "In My Room", which always takes me back 35 years ago and my own teenage angst.
The Beach Boys are cool.

LVJAKAZ
12-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Well...have a nice trip down memory lane and enjoy your dinner :) :)

MsDrmr
12-08-2004, 09:05 PM
used to listen to the beach boys all the time growin up, I can imagine the effect they had on the contry folk. I have gotten a bit sick of em over the last few years and don't listen to them much..they are a phase band to me, listen for a while, avoid for a while :squiggle: :rolleyes:

Kachina26
12-09-2004, 06:41 AM
which always takes me back 35 years ago and my own teenage angst.
The Beach Boys are cool.
Dude, you're old and stuff.

BarryMac
12-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Went to school with Mike Loves son, he was a little a*shole...

taxman
12-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Drink some purple jesus and trip your ass off

BarryMac
12-09-2004, 07:06 AM
Drink some purple jesus and trip your ass off
What did you say? I can't stop staring at your avatar...

rrrr
12-09-2004, 07:49 AM
LOL, should be "old and stiff". I've been doing a lot of work around the house at night and on weekends, and I creak like a rusty hinge when I get out of bed in the morning..... :220v: :220v:

Her454
12-09-2004, 08:36 AM
I had Fun, Fun, Fun until my daddy took my T-Bird away. :D

mirvin
12-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Hey rrrr, I got to meet Brian Wilson earlier this year....what a trip. He's still sharp as a tack, yet very dulled at the same time. We stepped out of a studio and walked about 20 feet and he realized he left his sunglasses in the booth. He stopped, looked at me and said "um, I know I forgot my glasses but I don't remember where we just came from" ;)
If you haven't already, you gotta check out "Pet Sounds". It really is all they say it is....... :messedup:
mirvin ;)

bocco
12-09-2004, 11:12 AM
One think I have noticed is that Beach Boys and surfing music in general has become popular with the wake boarding crowd. A great improvement over what they usually play.

rrrr
12-09-2004, 11:14 AM
One think I have noticed is that Beach Boys and surfing music in general has become popular with the wake boarding crowd. A great improvement over what they usually play.
My 21 YO nephew is a big Dick Dale fan....

78Eliminator
12-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey rrrr, I got to meet Brian Wilson earlier this year....what a trip. He's still sharp as a tack, yet very dulled at the same time. We stepped out of a studio and walked about 20 feet and he realized he left his sunglasses in the booth. He stopped, looked at me and said "um, I know I forgot my glasses but I don't remember where we just came from" ;)
If you haven't already, you gotta check out "Pet Sounds". It really is all they say it is....... :messedup:
mirvin ;)
The only celeb I met when I was a "real" (hahaha) bass player was Ike Turner. Same deal, I waked out of the studio into the sound room and there he was. Funny how many people stop by when you are recording.....

Boatcop
12-09-2004, 11:41 AM
I grew up in the same neighborhood as the Wilson Brothers and Al Jardine, who all went to my High School (Hawthorne).
Used to hear them practice all the time, but since I was only about 7 or 8 at the time, I didn't know who or what they were. It was just another early '60s garage band.
Brian recently released the much awaited album "Smile" this year. All I can say, it was worth the wait (since 1966) for this masterpiece to come out. It's a must for any Beach Boy fan.

mirvin
12-09-2004, 11:45 AM
The only celeb I met when I was a "real" (hahaha) bass player was Ike Turner. Same deal, I waked out of the studio into the sound room and there he was. Funny how many people stop by when you are recording.....
Ike Turner huhh? That's cool. Did he bichslap you???:D
Dude, once a bass player, always a bass player......unless you start playing the flute.......
mirvin :D

switchin'addiction
12-09-2004, 11:47 AM
LMAO!!! :D

78Eliminator
12-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Ike Turner huhh? That's cool. Did he bichslap you???:D
Dude, once a bass player, always a bass player......unless you start playing the flute.......
mirvin :D
Even more funny, is that three years later, I saw him again. It was my birthday and we were eating at a restaurant on the coast in Cardiff called "The Beach House". There he was, drunk off his ass and loud talking about how he invented rock and roll. It was really amusing.