PDA

View Full Version : Help, Question on building another room

79 HUSTLER
12-09-2004, 09:59 AM
I need some help with trying to get a room built in my yard. I have a business that is currently in a spare house and we are in the process of selling that house and I had planned on moving back into a office space, but the prices they want have doubled and tripled since we had left.
So I am looking into adding a room in my backyard that is not attached to the house. I am looking at approx. 20' x 40' to give me roughly 800sq'. The bennifits of having the business at home seem to outway the hassle it may be to have this built.
I have been searching the net and local stores for plans for a room of this size and have had no luck. Everything in this size is for some kind of house or garage. All I want is a square room with nothing in it (maybe a bathroom so at a later date it can be used as a pool room or guest house). Does anyone have any sites that they have used that may possibly have something like this. I am going to try to do most of this on my own to save a few bucks.
Any feedback on a project like this would be useful
Thanks, KELLY

wedge44
12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Ask j540 he knows everything...and could build it for you too... :hammerhea :hammerhea :2purples: :D :D

wedge44
12-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Ok sorry i couldn't resist attacking john... look into "Tuff Shed" type of "temp" building...not permanent...may not need permits,as it is temp building in other words can be removed without demo and is not attached to a permanent structure. Crane can lift over existing dwelling...wedge

harleypauls
12-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Try looking at garage plans. They should have what you are looking for.
Paul :cool:

79 HUSTLER
12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Ask j540 he knows everything...and could build it for you too... :hammerhea :hammerhea :2purples: :D :D
Yeah that would work great, he would start it in two years, work on it for an hour or two, call it a day, come back next year with a new plan on how to do it better, even though nothing got done the first time. Then he would remember that he has to fix something on his boat and somehow we would end up over there fixing his POS and nothing would get done :notam: :notam:
What do you think John, do you want to build this.....JACKAZZ..............

79 HUSTLER
12-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Try looking at garage plans. They should have what you are looking for.
Paul :cool:
Thanks I have been looking through tons of those with no luck. I want something I can purchase, and take to the city for approval. Without aving to pay alot to have someone modify a plan.

79 HUSTLER
12-09-2004, 10:33 AM
DOES ANYONE THAT LIVES IN THE HIGH DESERT KNOW IT "THE PLAN ROOM" IS STILL THERE IN HESPERIA. They used to have approved plans that people had done and would sell them to the public after others were done with them????????

Boozer
12-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Contact some local GC's and see what they come up with. If you do enough homework you'll probably be amazed at how inexpensive a 20X40 room will be to have built. With a bathroom you could probably get it done for around $65 a square foot.

Schiada76
12-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Draw it yourself and attach a Type V sheet to it.
A Type V sheet gives you the allowble spans of dimensional lumber, foundation details etc. This method works in LA city and I THINK it works in LA county. Call the county Building and Safety or easier yet look it up online.
Good luck on the $65.00sf though more like $80.00 to $100.00 if you hire a general.
Oh yeah, you should get John to do it he's NEVER busy!

al cole'holic
12-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Hell if you got the room in the yard look into a 20x40 steel building, pour a pad and you'll be out clean for around 4k :D

wedge44
12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Similiar to Steel Building www.tuffshed.com look at specific application on line...wedge
then talk john he'll show how too modify it and park his POS ...and I know I've had to tow This POS ON MORE THAN 3 Occasions... :D :D :D

LaveyJet
12-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Check local zoning restrictions/requirements. Might be a problem with a mixed uses, (Business and residential) You could call it a guest house but that may require a bathroom or other improvements.
Check it out first. ;)

Schiada76
12-09-2004, 04:27 PM
How big is your lot, what's the zoning, what's the neighborhood look like?
Most people don't want a mammoth tin shed in their neighbors yard. :D
Tell John as soon as he fabs my intake I'll be able to come out and build your office. :shift:
PM me if you want a bid.

Mrs CP 19
12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Here's a link that might help you, LA county building info.
http://www.ladbs.org/rpt_code_pub/home_owner_guide.pdf
I think $65.00 a s/f is a little low unless you are doing it owner/builder. Just my opinion, good luck. Jill

moneysucker
12-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Draw it up your self. Or go to a neighbor who has had an addition and modify. I don't have any plans from when I was doing remodels but the worst they can do is turn you down. First step is to go to city planning and see how big you can go and if they will allow what you are proposing before wasting your time with plans. The city should be able to pull the original plans and you can modify copies of them to resubmit your addition.

Mandelon
12-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Down here we have Dixieline lumber. They sell garage kits starting at $3995 for all the materials. You just need to pour a pad. They come with plans. I am sure they could deliver it to you. If you want more info let me know...
www.dixielinelumber.com

Ziggy
12-09-2004, 06:00 PM
I just saw that "Sigepmock" makes metal buildings---try him?