PDA

View Full Version : Car Makers Sue California

Seadog
12-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Major automakers are going to court to prevent California from adopting the world's toughest carbon dioxide emissions standards, the Detroit News reported.
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Fresno by 13 California car dealerships and the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a Washington-based trade group which represents nine automakers, including General Motors, Ford, DaimlerChrysler, Toyota, BMW and Volkswagen.
The suit seeks an injunction to stop California from enacting regulations aimed at reducing carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2016. The regulations are set to be phased in beginning in 2009.
The lawsuit contends that only the federal National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has the authority to set fuel economy standards. But the California Air Resources Board maintains that it is within its authority because it is regulating carbon dioxide emissions, not fuel economy.
The automakers says the state's plan could add $3,000 or more to the sticker price of a new vehicle and would reduce consumer choices because manufacturers would likely drop vehicles with higher emissions, such as big SUVs.
The Air Resources Board estimates the new requirements would add an average of $325 to the price of a new vehicle in 2012, and $1,050 per vehicle in 2016.

spectratoad
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I think that everyone including California needs to start looking at other ways to reduce pollution. Cars run pretty darn clean if you ask me. I think it is just the easiest way to get some revenue.

moneysucker
12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
The air resource board and the EPA are all getting out of control. One of the reasons gas prices are higher in CA is the requirements on the equipment used to store and dispense fuel. These modifications and changes are going for another round of new standards and the price has increased again. That and we have DA's making a name for themselves by sueing everyone involved in the fuel industry like San Juaquin Valley. Too many hippy tree huggers have gained power and are ruining everyones lives.

Boatcop
12-09-2004, 05:31 PM
The next thing the envirocommies will do is want all us humans to start wearing filter masks to curb the carbon dioxide we exhale.
Oh sh!t. I think I just gave them an idea.
Focking bastages.

voodoomedman
12-09-2004, 05:44 PM
The next thing the envirocommies will do is want all us humans to start wearing filter masks to curb the carbon dioxide we exhale.
Oh sh!t. I think I just gave them an idea.
Focking bastages.
damn alan that was funny.
Shoot they do this I'm going to have to change it so on paper my Havi house is my primary residence. Then I can buy big gas guzzlers and put az plates on them. And my boat registration will be cut in half. :D

Seadog
12-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Just wait until they make you wear gas collection underwear. Takes all the fun out of 'pull my finger'.

moneysucker
12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
The best thing today was on the gas pump. "Contains MTBE a substance known to the state of California to cause environmental dammage" This is a product added by the state to protect the air quality. The other was "fuel is oxegenated from Oct. 1 to Jan 30 to protect air quality" like those few months make a diference. If the stuff worked they would make it permanent.

HighRoller
12-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Why should the automakers sue? All they have to do is tell California they won't be producing cars that meet the standard. Period. And if California doesn't want the current models, so be it. There are 49 other states to sell cars in. I only wish businesses had balls like that.