PDA

View Full Version : Plasma or LCD for the home??

LHC30Victory
12-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Which is a better purchase for a home TV - Plasma or LCD. I know the Plasma are more expensive but what about viewing angle, color, longevity etc?
What are the top 4 to look at?

ROZ
12-09-2004, 08:47 PM
It all depends on your budget and what type of viewing you plan to do with it. I'll assume you mean rear projection LCD as LCD flat panels 45" and above are going to be in the 8k to 12k range.
What I mean by "what you plan to do with it" is that plasma tvs, even though it takes a lot of viewing, do have a chance of burn in, while LCD does not. If you plan to play video games on it all day, plasma is not for you....
LCD tv's provide a better picture in really bright rooms and some models do have a better viewing angle.
Plasma screens have a glossy front screen, so glare may be a problem. Viewing angle, while good, is not as broad as some flat panel LCDs.
I'll finish later...

HP350SC
12-09-2004, 10:45 PM
I just bought a Sony KF60-WE610 (60" LCD projection) a month ago. Paid $2829(after a lot of negotiation). Took some getting used to when watching standard 4:3 sat. broadcasts. Hooked up 16:9 1080i High definition satellite last night and holy sh.t is it awesome! This TV rocks, and is a bargain IMO. It is being replaced with a newer version so prices reflect that. Another good(if not better) LCD-pro. is the 60" Hitachi ultravision. Store manager said I could buy it for $2529 at Video only. It has a 120w bulb as compared to the Sony's 100w. Samsung actually makes a good DLP TV. Plasma is too much coin for me. BTW, I just found a sat. provider with 27 HD channels called voom. I will be signing up with them. Currently have dishnetwork and there is only 5 HD channels. Here's a picture..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1231DSC00904.jpg

HP350SC
12-09-2004, 11:03 PM
http://www.hometheatermag.com/directviewandplasmatvs/204faceoff/index5.html
Good review. I don't know why they said black level was mediocre. In real life, when you look at something that is black (like a suit), you can still see the surface. That is how the TV is. I guess they expect the picture to be "dead" in those areas. I find the picture to be flawless, and limited only by the source quality. To each his own I guess. That 65" Toshiba CRT looks cool too. :D PS, I saw an 82" (Mitsubishi I think it was) LCOS tv at Fry's for 15K and WOW,NICE!

Mrs CP 19
12-09-2004, 11:05 PM
plasma for us..video games are played on the older tv's

HP350SC
12-09-2004, 11:18 PM
plasma for us..video games are played on the older tv's
Yeah you're right. Kids can use old tv's for that. A "small" plasma would make an excellent bedroom tv for parents.
I think the whole burn-in thing is overstated anyway.

ROZ
12-09-2004, 11:31 PM
I think the whole burn-in thing is overstated anyway.
26 or 32" LCD flat panel would be ideal for a kids room...
Not overstated. I really depends on how long a picture remains stagnent.
I've already seen several come back with burn in that were in customer's kids playrooms and do nothing but play video games daily for hours and sometimes left them on... one was one of the first Pro 50" Elites from a few years back. I think the customer paid about 13K for it, and it's now burned in :220v: :cry:
Toshiba produces a DLP that has 2 settings for it's bulb. At 120 and at 100...
That tv you have there produces a great picture...
Are those DCM speakers?

Bad2DBone
12-10-2004, 12:17 AM
We just bought a new Plasma about 3 weeks ago. We bought a JVC unit. it's a 42'' # PD-42v485. Wife wanted something we could mount on the wall above the fireplace. It's not a HD unit though but I think it still looks great.
We went with the JVC unit because it has a black frame , she didn't like the silver of the Hitachi unit.
we also picked up a new JVC amp and some Infinity speakers. The speakers are great and sound awesome. Infinity (http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-750CHR)
We had all the stuff mounted by a pro and all the wires are run in wall and under the house. We then had a IR system set-up so all the components are in a seperate room.
Here is a nice site to look at for reveiws..
Plasma/LCD guide (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/)

HP350SC
12-10-2004, 09:17 AM
26 or 32" LCD flat panel would be ideal for a kids room...
Not overstated. I really depends on how long a picture remains stagnent.
I've already seen several come back with burn in that were in customer's kids playrooms and do nothing but play video games daily for hours and sometimes left them on... one was one of the first Pro 50" Elites from a few years back. I think the customer paid about 13K for it, and it's now burned in :220v: :cry:
Toshiba produces a DLP that has 2 settings for it's bulb. At 120 and at 100...
That tv you have there produces a great picture...
Are those DCM speakers?
Yeah the burn in thing is something to consider, although I have read the newer tv's have made significant improvements.
That's cool that Toshiba has two settings for bulb.
My tv is a little dark at mid-brightness settings. They use the same bulb in the smaller Sony's so it works pretty hard in the 60". I just crank it higher, when the bulb goes, it goes.
Speakers are vintage Infinity RS 4.5's circa 1980. Dual 12" Watkins woofers, 4 EMIM's and 4 EMIT's in each side. Sub is a Velodyne HGS-15 which is 1300watt RMS class D. Really want to get a Mcintosh MX-134 preamp and MC-206power amp. Sony ES-555 receiver has tough time delivering enough power to the front speakers. Min. recommended power is 200w RMS, and an early review I read said their impedance drops real low when driven hard.

ROZ
12-10-2004, 09:36 AM
They use the same bulb in the smaller Sony's so it works pretty hard in the 60". I just crank it higher, when the bulb goes, it goes.
Yup, thesame light engine assembly is shared between all of the tv's including the XBR's...
The sub you have is an impressive one. The remote feature is a big benefit. The output is similar to Martin Logan's 3 10" subwoofer, the descent... HUGE! :D
What do you think about the B&K stuff? ;)

Jordy
12-10-2004, 09:46 AM
I just picked up a 60" Sony LCD last weekend (thanks Roz) and the picture is unreal. Yeah, it does take a little getting used to watching normal shows in widescreen as everyone looks a little fatter, but other than that, it's sweet. :D

HP350SC
12-10-2004, 12:08 PM
What do you think about the B&K stuff? ;)
No experience with it, looks good though.
I have ALWAYS been a Mcintosh fan. Love the big blue meters/build quality and performance. Can't afford it yet though. Also like the Bryston amps(but no meters) :cry: On my budget I should be looking at Rotel or Adcom I guess.
How about 5 of these, one on top of each speaker? 200 AMPS X 5 would be kill... :cool:
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=14&cat=Power+Amplifiers&prodid=1022&product=MC1201

HP350SC
12-10-2004, 01:06 PM
I just picked up a 60" Sony LCD last weekend (thanks Roz) and the picture is unreal. Yeah, it does take a little getting used to watching normal shows in widescreen as everyone looks a little fatter, but other than that, it's sweet. :D
Do you have the same model number as mine, or the newer version?

Jordy
12-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Do you have the same model number as mine, or the newer version?
I ended up with the 60WF655. However that plays out. I love it though. :)

HP350SC
12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Just wodering if they made any improvements....too lazy to look up :D

ROZ
12-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Appearancce, HDMI, built in HD tuner, and CableCard are the most significant changes.

ROZ
12-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Which is a better purchase for a home TV - Plasma or LCD. I know the Plasma are more expensive but what about viewing angle, color, longevity etc?
What are the top 4 to look at?
Sorry...
Think of a plasma being a tv comprosed of a ton of pixel sized crt's filled with Xenon gas... They're designed to has a lifespan of 7-10 yearsjust like any other tv(inc flat panel LCD).... All depends on use...
Personally, I think 3 of the top 4 plasmas are:
Pioneer Elite
Panasonic
Sony
LCD Flat panel:
Sharp Aquious
Sony
Mitsubishi
Toshiba
Top DLP:
Mitsubishi
Samsung
Toshiba
Those were in no particular order...

Woodster
12-10-2004, 08:20 PM
I picked up a samsung 56" DLP and it rocks( thanks again Roz :cool: ). The High def picture is incredible..I have a built in entertainment center and I only had about 18 inches of depth to play with...The TV fits perfect and again I cant begin to tell u how good the picture is.Im very happy with it.Thanks again ROZ :)

locogringo
12-13-2004, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=HP350SC]BTW, I just found a sat. provider with 27 HD channels called voom. I will be signing up with them. Currently have dishnetwork and there is only 5 HD channels.
I've had VOOM for almost a year now and must say that it is the best TRUE HD satellite company out there. Nothing compares to the HD content and quality IMO!
THey keep acquiring more licenscing agreements and are in the works for carrying local stations integrated into it fmor what I remember. Also, a TIVO type recorder that will record in HD also. Should be late 05 to early 06.

franky
12-14-2004, 07:06 AM
ROZ,
what about projector tv's. Have a huge room, thinking 82". heard I had to spend 2K on screen, 5-6K on a good projector. what say yee?

HP350SC
12-14-2004, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=HP350SC]BTW, I just found a sat. provider with 27 HD channels called voom. I will be signing up with them. Currently have dishnetwork and there is only 5 HD channels.
I've had VOOM for almost a year now and must say that it is the best TRUE HD satellite company out there. Nothing compares to the HD content and quality IMO!
THey keep acquiring more licenscing agreements and are in the works for carrying local stations integrated into it fmor what I remember. Also, a TIVO type recorder that will record in HD also. Should be late 05 to early 06.
I'm glad to hear you like voom. I was reading the usual negative stuff on one forum and was getting a little nervous. I already have an appointment on the 21st to hook it up, and cancelling dishnetwork.
I'd like to see VOOM pick up the pilot episodes for a ***boat show in HD. (There's more info. in the v-drive section) .I think they have some type of "extreme" sports channel already and it would be perfect.

Waist Deep
12-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Ok, heres something I need to know. Ive got satellite in 4 rooms. Want to put LCDs in the crapper and kitchen. Now, how can I watch these tvs seperately from the others with boxes. I've been to hotels where the LCds stand alone and there are no boxes anywhere. Just point the remote to the tv and shazam.
Thanks

ROZ
12-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok, heres something I need to know. Ive got satellite in 4 rooms. Want to put LCDs in the crapper and kitchen. Now, how can I watch these tvs seperately from the others with boxes. I've been to hotels where the LCds stand alone and there are no boxes anywhere. Just point the remote to the tv and shazam.
Thanks
Wireless 15" lcd.... Share it between the crapper and the kitchen :jawdrop:
Hotel video systems are a different monster all together...
This is what I understand from your post: You have 4 satelite tuners hooked up in 4 seperate rooms, and you want to add 2 more tv's without having to get additional tuners?
Or you want the new tv's hooked up, but don't want the satellite boxes exposed?

ROZ
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
ROZ,
what about projector tv's. Have a huge room, thinking 82". heard I had to spend 2K on screen, 5-6K on a good projector. what say yee?
Depends on the quality and type of gear you want. I've seen an Infocus LCD and screen at costco for less than 4k.....atleast I think it was les than 4k.. :messedup:
If the room is dark, you could get a large fixed mounted Draper or Vutec screen 92" diagonal for about 1200.00. A yamaha LCD projector LPX510 retails for around 5K... Porjector will have to be about 10 -12 ft away from the screen...
Stewart screens are the best......

Waist Deep
12-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Roz, yes youre right Ive got the 15" LCD and I dont want the box in sight nor do I want to add two more receivers to make it 6.

Waist Deep
12-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Oh yeah, its cot wires, but I'm looking for something where I can just see the screen and no boxes

ROZ
12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
I don't know of anything consumer use that will allow you to watch different programming on 6 tv's from 4 receivers... You can split the signal after the set top box to work with a couple tv's, but the programming will be identicle since they share the same box. You can run an RF remote to conrtol each tv and receiver, or you can have a small ir repeater installed in or on the tv allowing you to control the receiver ir bypointing it at the tv. We have repeaters so small that we install them inside a tv's speaker's panel, so it's never seen...
Hotels and sports bars will get tuners(boxes) for each of the channels they want to offer and re distribute it to assigned channels through a modulator....
Fo example:
A sports bar has 20 tv's that display espn, espn2, speedvisio, fox sports, sports classic, MTV, and VH1. They would order 7 cable boxes from their cable supplier. The installer would wire the cable boxes into a modulator assigning each input an output channel. For example sake, the installer take the box set on espn into an input and assign the output channel 3, install the espn2 box into the modulator assigning output to channel 5, install the speedvision box into the modulator assigning output to channel 7, install the fox sports box into the modulator assigning output to channel 10, install the sports classic box into the modulator assigning output to channel 12, install the MTV box into the modulator assigning output to channel 15, and install the VH1 box into the modulator assigning output to channel 20. From there the output from the modulator goes through a multiplexor and amplification that distributes the signal to all 20 tv's allowing channels 3,5,7,10,12,15,and 20 to be acces from each tv... This could be done at your house...You'd only need as many receivers as you have channels :D

PHX ATC
12-17-2004, 07:35 AM
ROZ, would you explain that one more time.
Start from the top again, you lost me at "modulator."
:D