PDA

View Full Version : You ever feel like changing a red light to green?

MagicMtnDan
04-18-2006, 07:04 AM
LONGMONT, Colo. - A man who said he bought a device that let him change traffic lights from red to green received a $50 ticket for suspicion of interfering with a traffic signal.
Jason Niccum of Longmont said the device, which he bought on eBay for $100, helped him cut his time driving to work.
“I guess in the two years I had it, that thing paid for itself,” he told the Daily Times-Call on Wednesday.
Niccum was issued a citation March 29 after police said they found him using a strobe-like device to change traffic signals. Police confiscated the device.
“I’m always running late,” police quoted Niccum as saying in an incident report.
The device, called an Opticon, is similar to what firefighters use to change lights when they respond to emergencies. It emits an infrared pulse that receivers on the traffic lights pick up.
Niccum was cited after city traffic engineers who noticed repeated traffic light disruptions at certain intersections spotted a white Ford pickup passing by whenever the patterns were disrupted.
City traffic engineer Joe Olson said engineers plan to update the cityÂ’s Opticon system this year to block unauthorized light-changing signals.

SoCalSouthpaw
04-18-2006, 07:25 AM
This is phucking GREAT!!!!! I always used to try flashing my brights at them.....with no luck. Im gettin one!!!! Thanks MMDan. :D
For anyone else who might want one....
http://www.skyoptics.com/How_Mirt_Works.htm

GRUNION
04-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Thats sik.

dirty old man
04-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Think I'll buy one in NV and take to CA. Anyone have one yet? Any other sources?

C-2
04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Just so you guys know - getting caught in possession, buying or using a MIRT is now a Federal offense. Before it was a state Felony, but the Feds got involved after all the hype about 3 years ago.
---
They work like a charm in cities which are rigged for them. Kinda cool, but also kind of scary.
-----
I would guess that guy is gonna be looking at a Grand Jury indictment soon. He might be laughing now - but I'm gonna guess it's not over for him. :supp: :supp: :supp:

Kilrtoy
04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
to possess and use one
$3,000 fine
to use one and cause injury or death
FELONY $10,000 fine and state prison.
that is some dumb shit, if you really think about it...

GunninGopher
04-18-2006, 09:37 AM
They used to be called "Silver Boxes" and you used to have to make them yourself.
Many cities now have integrated traffic light systems and they don't work there. You also needed to program the code for your area code. You can do this by filming an emergency vehicle go by and then slowing down the tape and counting the flashes.
I looked into it a while ago and didn't figure it was worth the effort. Besides, it seems like a pretty crappy thing to do, anyways. I didn't know they sold them on-line these days.

Garrddogg
04-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Think I'll buy one in NV and take to CA. Anyone have one yet? Any other sources?
Um Ah no comment!
Well I bought one a while ago (few years) I was showin a good buddie how it works and he said " Who the fowk are you? What makes you so special that you cant wait like everyone else? :argue:
I thought about it and he was right and more inportantly if some (local)azzhole has the lights timed and i go fuggin with them and get someone hurt, escapeing isnt the hard part its livin with being responsible with fuggin someones life up!
ok now im ready for all the LEO's to beat me up now! :rolleyes:

NorCal Gameshow
04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
kind of odd... if you get your car stolen, you're lucky if you can report it to a live person. most likely it will go to a recording, then a volunteer will type it up.
someone breaks into cars and steals purses,wallets leads to identity theft etc. and you have to do all the leg work to straighten things out.
and this is a federal offense?
WOW

OGShocker
04-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Um Ah no comment!
Well I bought one a while ago (few years) I was showin a good buddie how it works and he said " Who the fowk are you? What makes you so special that you cant wait like everyone else? :argue:
I thought about it and he was right and more inportantly if some (local)azzhole has the lights timed and i go fuggin with them and get someone hurt, escapeing isnt the hard part its livin with being responsible with fuggin someones life up!
At least you had the common sense to stop using it. I bought a fully automatic 9mm with a silencer on it 20 years ago. Once I found out that was a 20 / 30 year Federal rap, I took a cutting torch to it. We all make errors in judgement thoughout our lives, it's how we correct them that counts. :)

Kachina26
04-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Um Ah no comment!
So you took it out since I was last week? I had a blast using it :D

SoCalSouthpaw
04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
to possess and use one
$3,000 fine
to use one and cause injury or death
FELONY $10,000 fine and state prison.
that is some dumb shit, if you really think about it...
Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit.....I'll wait for the green light. It'll gimme some time to pick my nose or sumpin...
Hey, anyone know what/ if there is a charge for having a Laser Jamming/ Defense system on your ride? Im not talking about the radar/ laser detector. Just curious, Ive heard differing stories.

Ziggy
04-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Even more stupid, I've witnessed on a few occassions people haulin' ass behind Emergency vehicles to get thru lights.....
Patience is a virtue.... or leave your house earlier.

MagicMtnDan
04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Even more stupid, I've witnessed on a few occassions people haulin' ass behind Emergency vehicles to get thru lights.....
You should see all the people "train" behind emergency vehicles in New York! Looks like a parade with all the cars following each other like horny dogs sniffing the dog's ass in front of him :rollside:

JB in so cal
04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
There truly are stupid people everywhere doing alot of stupid things :rolleyes:

little rowe boat
04-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Sh!t, that happens to me everyday,people follow right on my a$$ when I'm responding Code 3, just so they can make the light. Yes we do have opticoms on our units.