PDA

View Full Version : Target Deserves Boycott

ssanddemon
12-10-2004, 11:44 PM
I have been hearing a lot this week about the negativity regarding Christmas; nowhere did it home more clearly than when I heard that Target stores would be banning the Salvation Army Bell Ringers from their stores nationwide. It seems that political correctness has run amok at Target, and that management is so concerned about not offending a minority that they are willing to offend The Majority. Those of us who have Christian values need to be aware of this and decide which companies we wish to support. I for one will not be shopping at Target this Christmas season.

12-11-2004, 12:41 PM
My wife and I stopped shopping at Target a long time ago, when we found out they were owned by a French co. F uck the French.

Forkin' Crazy
12-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Target, French owned? That's wrong (http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/target-viet.htm)!!!
I shop at Target, and I am happy I don't have to deal with the pan handlers. If I want to give them something, I will send it to them..... :eek:

HM
12-11-2004, 01:42 PM
In California, if Target shares a parking lot with any other business, they cannot do a thing about people out in front of their store...they just have to stay 10' away from the front doors.

Rexone
12-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Target was the victim of a bunch of bullshit rumors
Target policies (http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp_group/about/vendor.jhtml)
Target corporate history (http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp_group/about/history.jhtml)
Target Facts (http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp_group/investor-relations/annual_report.jhtml)
Can't believe everything you read on the internet. :rollside:

Forkin' Crazy
12-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Before you guys start casting stones, maybe you ought to spend about 5 or 10 minutes on google and see for yourself....
Oh well, I guess I did it for you. :rollside:
Here, (http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp_group/investor-relations/investor-relations.jhtml) here, (http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp_group/about/history.jhtml) and here. (http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp_group/contactus/contact.jhtml)

Forkin' Crazy
12-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Rex, I guess we are on the same page. My search engine must need a tune up...LOL
:D

ssanddemon
12-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Before we start "casting stones", let's just lay off with the condescending remarks. I am well aware of Target's policies and was previously a regular customer. 1. They are neither the best of worst in regard to employee benefits. 2. They are nationally owned and publicly traded. 3. Starting this year, they no longer allow the Salvation Army to solicit donations in front of their stores, a nationwide tradition for all retailers for over a century. I will no longer be shopping there because of this. Christmas is a traditional holiday; as such, the traditions of Christmas are precious to me. The incremental changes which have eroded the true meaning of this holiday are damaging our country, and I for one will not support any person or organization whose motives are suspect. Target wants my money, but doesn't value my holiday. F- Them!

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2004, 02:31 PM
The beauty of a free market system...

Forkin' Crazy
12-11-2004, 02:58 PM
No offense meant, ssanddemon.
Believe it or not, it makes some people uncomfortable... I have given to the Salvation Army, and I have also seen where it has been corrupt.
Each to his own.

Starloans
12-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I understand from news reports the Salvation Army will lose 9 Mil this year because of this.
I have to tell you. I'm not concerned. The late Joan Kroc widow of the late Ray Kroc founders of Micky Ds gave the Salvation Army 1.5 Billion in Jan of this year. Yes, 1.5 billion.
I hate beggers. When I'm trying to shop stay the F out of my way. The Salvation army is not poor. All charitys are suspect to me.
Look what happend to the local Red Cross here in San Diego after the Alpine fires a few years ago. They were giving the money collected to people in other areas of the country and themselves. F em.
One last thing..you always hear of them COLLECTING money but I rarely here about any chairty giving money.
Target DOES NOT DESERVE A BOYCOTT!!!!!!!
My .02

Jeanyus
12-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Ssanddemon I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will say that, if I'm going into a store that has 2 entrances, and there is a bell ringet at 1 entrance, I go to the other entrance. It makes me feel like a cheapo, passing the guy and not donating. I bought some toys for kids at the abused shelter, and sent Christmas stuff to american soldiers, in Iraq. For my donations this year. I really don't like donating money to big corperations. But I will give some to the Salvation Army, it's just annoying to pass them at every store. I'll get over it. I don't shop a Target, I prefer Kame Apart.

Squirtin Thunder
12-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Ssanddemon I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will say that, if I'm going into a store that has 2 entrances, and there is a bell ringet at 1 entrance, I go to the other entrance. It makes me feel like a cheapo, passing the guy and not donating. I bought some toys for kids at the abused shelter, and sent Christmas stuff to american soldiers, in Iraq. For my donations this year. I really don't like donating money to big corperations. But I will give some to the Salvation Army, it's just annoying to pass them at every store. I'll get over it. I don't shop a Target, I prefer Kame Apart.
Ron,
How do you mix Kraftsmart (Kmart & Sears) ????
Jim

Havasu_Dreamin
12-11-2004, 11:49 PM
I'll get flamed for this but WTF. I read this article at ABCNews.com (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=315634&page=1) . Assuming the article is truthful, that Target bans all types of solicitors, then at least the policy is being enforced equally. Granted, the Joan Kroc $1.5 billion dollar donation to the Salvation Army (http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn%5Cwww_usn.nsf/0/E76CDC1EB3B902D185256E5C0071A8C8?opendocument) is earmarked for specific projects, I don't think they, the Salvation Army, will be hurting for cash any time soon.

HighRoller
12-15-2004, 12:14 PM
I stopped donating to the Salvation Army when I discovered they spend money trying to help drug addicts and alcoholics kick the habit and asking nothing in return. Apparently you can get detoxed on the SA's dime as many times as you want...that ain't where I want my money going. But the biggest problem is the charity thing in general in my eyes.
Didn't charity and generosity used to be voluntary? Here in Portland all the charities whine about how many people go hungry and try to make you believe that all of your neighbors are starving but just won't tell you because they are ashamed. They give out millions of pounds of food every year during the holiday, and guess what happens? Mysteriously the next year the demand for free food GROWS!!! Every time you give out a freebie you remove the incentive for those people to go out and actually find a way to feed themselves. These people try to make you feel guilty that you actually have food, and say that they are HELPING people. Therefore I don't give to anybody except people who actually contribute to the country or the ones making an honest effort to get back on their feet.

totenhosen
12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
I believe it is a store policy not to support and solictors in fromt of their stores. So good riddance I say. I go to Salavation Army 3-4 times a year and doante clothing, furniture etc so I do support them and other charities without ahving some person in front of the store begging for change.

ssanddemon
12-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Wow! Overwhelming support for Target. Gotta say, I'm a bit surprised. Seems that many see no difference between the work done by the Army to get losers back on their feet and off the welfare rolls and those lazy ass stupid panhandlers who endlessly prey on softhearted liberals. To me there is a world of difference and it is to all our benefit as taxpayers to support them in word if not deed. Just my .02, however. I completely understand that some people feel unwanted pressure to give, which is a guilt trip none of us needs.
MERRY CHRISTMAS, ***boatERS!!

1stepcloser
12-17-2004, 01:05 PM
I'll get flamed for this but WTF. I read this article at ABCNews.com (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=315634&page=1) . Assuming the article is truthful, that Target bans all types of solicitors, then at least the policy is being enforced equally.
True. Target, in response to customer compalints, have banned all forms of solicitation in front of it's stores.
All forms of solicitation. I am a fan of Target, several trips a week usually, and used to hate all the damn beggars for whatever cause, homeless, poor, kids' schools, selling candy...whatever. It was a challenge to go in or out without being hit up for cash, and it sucked.
That the Salvation Army can no longer solicit in front of the store is too bad, but neither could Target allow it, or theyt would be labeled (and likely sued) as hipocrytes.
I support those organizations that I feel are honest and have proven are good in spirit.

Her454
12-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I find it amusing that Target will allow (In their Sacramento store on Sunrise Blvd) the kids running around out front on skateboards ready to knock you down if you even dare to invade their space as you try and safely enter the store. I can only imagine how confused some of the elderly generation must get as to if its truly the Christmas season, or Halloween - as they watch these manner challenged youngsters sporting their rainbow colored spiked hair along with their fashionable dog collars and multiple face piercings, while they intimidate shoppers entering Target.
Target, a place where you can no longer be harrassed by the Salvation Army, politely asking for a slight donation to better humanity.
:2purples: :2purples:

Schiada76
12-17-2004, 04:11 PM
The SA doesn't "solicit" you they stand there, off to the side and ring a little bell. They don't stumble up to your window and demand money like the bums (aka homeless in PC).
They have done TREMENDOUS good since their inception, what a century ago?
They have become a CHRISTMAS tradition and if the secular assholes in this country don't like it tough shit, they don't get my money.
I have worked in several of their stores and it's obvious that 99% of the people they employ were former alcholics or addicts. They are honest straightforward and easy to deal with, can't say that for most of the people I encounter.
The fact is the leftists in this country want to strike down any support of any organization that has any religious affiliation well, except for islam.
Forkin, can you forward me the article on the SA's corruption? I'd like to see where my money's going and I don't have any information on them being corrupt. Thanks.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Debbolas
12-17-2004, 06:02 PM
I hope Target regrets their decision.
The Salvation Army is a good cause.
and HELLO!!
(rant on)
if they bother you, you can always say no, it's like we've become this nation of people who must have everything their way....What they want to watch on TV (HELLO, change the channel)........What Holiday decorations should be allowed....(HELLO, if it isn't on your house, get over it)........It just seems a little silly, that people can't exercise self control and tolerance for others!!! (rant off)

Misogynist
12-18-2004, 11:19 AM
The Salvation Army may be a good cause... The bell ringers aren't confontational... but THERE ARE SOLICITORS that are " In your face". There are a group of large black men that literally "surround" the entrances to Pavillions in Burbank.... They scream at you for donations... Screaming and waving placards.... " It's for the children..... FOR THE CHILDREN".... Well damnit... I didn't produce ANY children... why should I be screamed at because I won't give money to them... Probably only 10 cents of every dollar makes it to the needy. I don't blame them from banning EVERYONE... It got to the point I dreaded shopping because of all the people screaming at me wanting MY HARD EARNED MONEY. My hat is off to Target.

Forkin' Crazy
12-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Yea, bullshit! All they do is ring the bell? Yea right!!!!! How long have you been going to store with the SA pan-handling in front? I have seen them asking for change..... Poor taste if you ask me!
And I have no specific link to a SA's corruption. I have just seen it here and read it in my local paper. Believe me or not, I don't really care.... :o
Like I said, if I want to give to them, I will mail them a check or take cloths to their store (I have done it before) and not be lazy and chunk some change into "the pot", and say, "Look at me! I gave to the SA!"
If there is a problem with young juvenile delinquents skate boarding, I would alert the management. There are usually local ordinances banning such activities.
I have nothing against SA. This is the land of the free, and Target is expressing its freedom. If you don't like it, then don't go there!