PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring Advice??

Chestah Cheetah
06-24-2001, 07:50 PM
I've got a 17' Cheetah with a 455/Berk. I'm still pretty much a novice boater and I need advice on what type of anchor I should use. I would like to anchor the stern and have a beach stake off the bow. Thanks fellas!

froggystyle
06-25-2001, 07:20 AM
You have it backwards. You want to anchor the back towards the beach, because it is very rare that a boat swamping wave eminates from the beach. The best all around anchor is called a "Danforth". It has two flukes on the bottom, and they rotate back and forth. Get an anchor one size up from your boat recommendation. I.E., If it is rated up to 18', get the one rated from 18'-24'. The real trick with a Danforth is using a chain for the last two feet of the line, the part that attaches to the anchor. This shot of chain holds the anchor down, and prevents it from levering itself out of the bottom on it's own. The thing about a Danforth is that it is not the weight of it that holds your boat, it is the design. It digs into sandy, muddy bottoms. These are available anywhere.

Erik
06-25-2001, 07:29 AM
A rule of thumb that I learned was to use 1-ft of chain for every foot of boat. I'm sure that this is overkill but I've been through some pretty bad storms & never had the anchor break loose.

Timer
06-25-2001, 08:03 AM
I used a Box anchor for the first time and it was very impressive the way it held, and no chain required. I'm totally sold on it. My boat is 21'. It's not a cheap anchor -- about $120.
Froggy's right about pointing the boat away from the shore.

chaz
06-25-2001, 09:11 AM
Hey Cheetah I heard that the box anchor works pretty good also, you can find more info at www.slideanchor.com. (http://www.slideanchor.com.) http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
Chaz

Chestah Cheetah
06-25-2001, 10:58 AM
Thanks fellas! I checked out slideanchors site and I think I'll probably go with the box anchor in combination with their on/off shore spike. The whole thing just sounds a lot simpler and easier than a conventional anchor. Froggy, thanks for the correction of stern towards the beach and bow out. Just out of curiosity, if i'm in a no wake cove, is it still a bad idea to have the bow facing the beach? I have seen that a lot and was just wondering. Also, has anyone used those small fenders with suction cups for docks or rafting boats together? I don't have any cleats.

Chestah Cheetah
06-25-2001, 10:59 AM
Thanks fellas! I checked out slideanchors site and I think I'll probably go with the box anchor in combination with their on/off shore spike. The whole thing just sounds a lot simpler and easier than a conventional anchor. Froggy, thanks for the correction of stern towards the beach and bow out. Just out of curiosity, if i'm in a no wake cove, is it still a bad idea to have the bow facing the beach? I have seen that a lot and was just wondering. Also, has anyone used those small fenders with suction cups for docks or rafting boats together? I don't have any cleats.

Erik
06-25-2001, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I have the bumpers with suction cups on to hold them on. They work ok for short periods of time. I don't know if I'd want to rely on them overnight but for docking to get a beer or ice they work fine. I've even seen some bumpers that bend at the top to protect low profile boats. Those look like a good idea if it apples to you.

mister460
06-25-2001, 11:23 AM
Ya, and if you have your arse end towards the shore it's easier to spray the crowd of egg-beater drivers that you parked in between to make them look bad. Not that any of us would EVER do something like that. I mean, I'm just saying you COULD do it. HEEHEE!

Chestah Cheetah
06-25-2001, 12:49 PM
I'll get those suction cup bumbers too. That's all I need is a short term tie up solution. Come one 460, eggbeaters can be good for something. Omeletes on the beach anyone?

spectras only
06-25-2001, 01:18 PM
Danforth is the King for sandy bottom.Every anchor needs a chain ,the minimum length of the boat to obtain a good holding [ie;holding the shank at level on the bottom].You also have to have a long line to maintain a scope to keep the chain flat on the bottom.You always use the stem[bow] for anchoring to keep the bow to break the waves,thus keeping the water outside of your boat,especially low freeboarded ones,heh.

daboot
06-25-2001, 03:34 PM
Cheetah, I found that a jagged or (3) sided mushroom is well diversified for pebble, mud. or sand and it's under $30 bucks. or spend a little bit more for a rubber coated one. Plus if you're in a cove or sand bar I bought a p.w.c. (jet ski) retractable rubber coated grapnel hook with a floating buoy so you can find your(stainless) hook for $34.99 in Overton's it packs away in it's own bag and come with 25 ft. of line Hope this helps ya man !!!
[This message has been edited by daboot (edited June 25, 2001).]

Caribbean19'
06-25-2001, 10:02 PM
I use a danforth--it works great. For my buoy I went to a sporting goods store and bought a tether ball--it floats (that's important), it is bright, (easy to see) and comes with a line that will easily attach to your anchor line. SpectrasOnly is right--scope is important--especially if you expect any wave action or are on the river and dealing with the current. In that case, people usually point the bow into the current, parallel to the shore.

rivercrazy
06-26-2001, 03:34 PM
The box anchor is by far the best anchor I've ever used. Its totally fire and forget. Drop it and your set everytime. No backing up is required.
No chain is needed as long as you use the right length of rope (less rode than a traditional anchor.
Its also cool because no chain=less gel coat damage! It also folds down and comes with a tough nylon bag.
Bag the old anchors unless you enjoy resetting your anchor all the time.

Chestah Cheetah
06-26-2001, 03:57 PM
Rivercrazy, I'm gonna order the box anchor. Sounds like the best and easiest. What length or rope whould I use for my 17'.

rivercrazy
06-26-2001, 04:45 PM
I don't remember the exact calculations from Box Anchor bit not that much is needed. Probably 2X the the depth of the boat (provided your not anchoring in really deep water). I also use their bungie cord to attach the anchor to the boat. That way you can pull the boat closer to shore with the stern line. When you let the stern line go, the boat goes back out (whaala more time to drink beer and check out the chicks!)
The anchor is expensive but worth the bucks!

froggystyle
06-27-2001, 09:14 AM
The box anchors work really well for sure, I just have had a ton of luck with the Danforth ($30). The length of chain I'm using is significantly shorter than you guys are reporting though. I am getting away with 2' of very heavy chain. All the chain is really for is to keep the anchor shaft in the ground. A benefit to a really long chain, short rope, is that you stand a much smaller chance of someone cutting your rope with a clamp on. Or sucking it into a jet.

mister460
06-27-2001, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah! 350 Chev blocks work great! Make sure it's a "marine" block though. They hold better!

byronk
06-28-2001, 07:36 PM
The best thing you can use to keep your boat in place in an anchor buddy or a bungy anchor. You can buy them at West Marine or through Overtons. Its basically a big bungy cord that stretches so your anchor wont pull out. I use a mushroom anchor (no chain) no matter where I go and with my bungy it never breaks loose.
BK

RiverDave
06-29-2001, 10:03 AM
Chestah, you said something about those stick on bouies. The word "worthless comes to mind. Everytime I leave sundance and the "floating party" starts happening someone has those stick on bouies. Everytime they come off boats are rubbing and someone is swimming after their suction cup bouie. (Swearing it will be alright this time) I'm over those things, traditional bouies work good and the rule of thumb is can't have to much bouie.
RiverDAVe

Chestah Cheetah
06-29-2001, 10:57 AM
When I look at the mushroom anchors, their design doesn't look agressive enough to really grab. This forum is great for info and advice, but then sometimes poeple swear by what "they" are using. I wish it was easier with 10 answers saying the same thing. Danforth, Box, or shroom?
As far as the stick on buoys, I asked because I don't have cleats. When the boat was gelcoated, they pretty much took everything off and made it smooth. I'm thinking about putting a pop-up in the bow and one on either side of the transom.
The Cheetah's in the shop, we're leaving on Sunday, mechanic says "don't bank on it":
F#$%. Looks like I'm gonna have to make a trip back.

Lightning
06-29-2001, 04:57 PM
My personal preference is the river anchors with the three fluke design, they seem to hold really well for boats in the 21' and less range.
As far as cleats are concerned, you may want to look into mushroom style cleats, they are pretty trick and look really clean. Talk with John at Ultra, he can probably give you some good feedback. I know he is using them on some of the boats he is building.

boatnam2
06-29-2001, 05:49 PM
there is only one type of anchor to use and iv'e used them all! there is nothing i meen nothing that compares to a box anchor i dont care what anyone says.this thing will hold in any condition.and the best thing you dont need a chain!i sweer to god.my buddie works for a elevator company and he gave me a little box that wheighs about 100# and that was pretty good until it was time to go home and it was hard to get up.i have two box anchors in my cat and one in my pontoon.they are the best,spend a little now to give you that satifaction that your boat will stay where you left it.boatnam2