PDA

View Full Version : 496 Performance (raylar)

shadow
12-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Anyone with a 496 that wants more Performance check this out.Watch out blue motors.

phebus
12-12-2004, 08:15 AM
I've seen their adds, and read their claims, but being the skeptic I am I want to see some real numbers on a boat and then see longevity of the motor. I won't be impressed until then. I know Stealth is doing an install now, so hopefully we won't have to wait long for some real numbers.

Kachina26
12-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Keep your eyes open, I hear tale that one of our board members is doing the upgrade ............................and perhaps an article in a little known Magazine :idea:

phebus
12-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Keep your eyes open, I hear tale that one of our board members is doing the upgrade ............................and perhaps an article in a little known Magazine :idea:
I hope the magazine isn't ***boat. If so, I'll probably never get to read it!! I still haven't got my last copy that everyone else has had for a week.

Kachina26
12-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I hope the magazine isn't ***boat. If so, I'll probably never get to read it!! I still haven't got my last copy that everyone else has had for a week.
***boat has a magazine??? :jawdrop:

Garrddogg
12-12-2004, 08:38 AM
hey you were the first

phebus
12-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Not for me once my subscription runs out!!!

purrfecttremor
12-12-2004, 10:05 AM
hey where the hell is my copy?im sick of waiting foor it!

mike37
12-12-2004, 10:33 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8320 http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8321

mike37
12-12-2004, 10:35 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8322 http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8323

Just Tool'n
12-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Just received the Jan 2005 Hot Boat Mag.
It looks as if it was put thru a paper grinder.
But Still readable. Heck, proablably everyone downtown at the post office read it before they delivered it on Wens.

Matt99DECH
12-21-2004, 07:25 PM
We will be running Raylars setup in a 04 H2X w/ 496HO. Just waiting on the parts from Ray however we are frozen over till april so she wont be wet until than anyway

shadow
12-21-2004, 08:05 PM
For anybody that is on the fence with these 496 upgrades,I should be able to give some results by the end of January.Raylar has done thier homework. :rollside:

Toomstone
12-21-2004, 08:08 PM
hey shadow,
Are you doing the kit that's supposed to be around 5k or are you going all out with the pistons and all the other parts he has made for the 496?
Toomstone :crossx:

shadow
12-21-2004, 08:59 PM
hey shadow,
Are you doing the kit that's supposed to be around 5k or are you going all out with the pistons and all the other parts he has made for the 496?
Toomstone :crossx:
At this point i'm looking to do the top end,I belive my lower end is good condition and have no plans for a blower.But they have got pistons,rods and crank availible if you want to go that route.

Toomstone
12-21-2004, 09:27 PM
im not too good with my engine knowledge...so the top end would be????
toomstone :crossx:

OutCole'd
12-21-2004, 09:38 PM
im not too good with my engine knowledge...so the top end would be????
toomstone :crossx:
Heads, cam, induction, ignition, exhaust, etc.

Toomstone
12-21-2004, 09:41 PM
thanks OC'd....i think thats the first kit raylar was talking about.
toomstone:crossx:

Quality Time
12-21-2004, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=Just Tool'n]Just received the Jan 2005 Hot Boat Mag.
So is mine :mad:

al cole'holic
12-21-2004, 11:08 PM
..christ, we are still talking about this Raylar kit and no one has done one or seen one done yet...?? :sleeping:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Now thats funny.......cause....
Mine was also shredded !!!!
Huh....
CJG
:(

mbrown2
12-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Now thats funny.......cause....
Mine was also shredded !!!!
Huh....
CJG
:(
Mine too...thought it was just my mailman who liked to keep it his own for a couple weeks.

Chris Winn
12-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Mine too...thought it was just my mailman who liked to keep it his own for a couple weeks.
i'm looking tgo do the kit at the end of January or mid-feb, it will depaend on my work schedule and a few other details. this should be a good kit.

Sane Asylum
12-22-2004, 12:58 AM
Allright........I'm in too...... :argue: ....It'll be newsprint next time......"***boat Times" :)

Sane Asylum
12-22-2004, 01:01 AM
At this point i'm looking to do the top end,I belive my lower end is good condition and have no plans for a blower.But they have got pistons,rods and crank availible if you want to go that route.
Shadow.......Are you going to Dyno your current set up, Do a speed run or something else to establish a benchmark? Just curious as to what you planned on doing to see if you got your money's worth....
Wonder if they do a dyno before and after.......Would be very interested to know your speeds before and after.....
I think if there were ever a mod to be done this would be the route to take.....
Keep us in the loop....

shadow
12-22-2004, 06:16 AM
..christ, we are still talking about this Raylar kit and no one has done one or seen one done yet...?? :sleeping:
Whats the rush?This is the time of year for boat maint and upgrades. :wink:
I'm sure within the next few months we will start seeing Some of these Raylar setups installed then i have a feeling there will be alot to follow. :)

shadow
12-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Shadow.......Are you going to Dyno your current set up, Do a speed run or something else to establish a benchmark? Just curious as to what you planned on doing to see if you got your money's worth....
Wonder if they do a dyno before and after.......Would be very interested to know your speeds before and after.....
I think if there were ever a mod to be done this would be the route to take.....
Keep us in the loop....
Not planning on dyno, but will definately do a before and after with the conditions being the same.will share the info when possible.

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 06:23 AM
Not planning on dyno, but will definately do a before and after with the conditions being the same.will share the info when possible.
Can't wait to see the results.

shadow
12-22-2004, 08:37 AM
:cool: Can't wait to see the results.
Me Too! I think this is going to be a great set up for those with a 496 package that are looking for performance and reliability.

Dave C
12-22-2004, 09:37 AM
call me a skeptic too but this kit costs $5800 for just heads, roller rockers, manifold and a cam, which is a tad bit too high.
Now the heads if they are good are worth at least $2500 or so and a cam & rockers are a couple of hundred $'s, so that leaves several thousand $$'s for JUST an intake manifold ($3,000(-) or so?).
Now AZ speed and Marine does the same thing ($4,581) but their's includes EFI, MEFI 3, which is really not necessary on that manifold.
Still there is no way an intake manifold by itself should cost that much, ESPECIALLY since it does not include the EFI components. Now if it included EFI then it would be worth more than several $ grand.
ya ya, I know, R&D expense... well I expect that they will sell alot more of these kits when the price goes down.
Before you flame away, a bolt on pick of 125 HP is pretty damn good, IMHO. I'm just bitchin' about the price. :argue:

Dave C
12-22-2004, 09:40 AM
if I actually had money, this is what I would do. :D :D
AZspeed 572EFI (http://www.azspeed.com/asminzz.html)
it would cost some $$ to rig but it would be sweet, nonetheless. :D
anyone want a slightly used 496HO?? ;)

shadow
12-22-2004, 09:53 AM
call me a skeptic too but this kit costs $5800 for just heads, roller rockers, manifold and a cam, which is a tad bit too high.
Now the heads if they are good are worth at least $2500 or so and a cam & rockers are a couple of hundred $'s, so that leaves several thousand $$'s for JUST an intake manifold ($3,000(-) or so?).
Now AZ speed and Marine does the same thing ($4,581) but their's includes EFI, MEFI 3, which is really not necessary on that manifold.
Still there is no way an intake manifold by itself should cost that much, ESPECIALLY since it does not include the EFI components. Now if it included EFI then it would be worth more than several $ grand.
ya ya, I know, R&D expense... well I expect that they will sell alot more of these kits when the price goes down.
Before you flame away, a bolt on pick of 125 HP is pretty damn good, IMHO. I'm just bitchin' about the price. :argue:
Correct me if i'm mistaken but the kit from AZ speed and marine doesn't in clude cylinder heads for $4,581. I agree it's all costly it's just an alternative for the stock 496 that alot of people will have availible to them.

Dave C
12-22-2004, 10:09 AM
you are correct. so for $4581 that is even more of a rip off.
I guess since it is the only game in town, it can be priced accordingly.
Until others get off their arses and do something about it.
Correct me if i'm mistaken but the kit from AZ speed and marine doesn't in clude cylinder heads for $4,581. I agree it's all costly it's just an alternative for the stock 496 that alot of people will have availible to them.

shadow
12-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Don't get me wrong i do belive AZ Speed & marine put out a quality product.
At this time i belive for the $$ Raylar has them beat.Raylar also has crankshafts,pistons,rings,rods,Gaskets,headbolts,h eaderes,all ness relocation brackets,valve covers,pulleys,etc.IMHO they are more prepared to offer a complete package at any stage someone would like.

rrrr
12-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Seems I remember the cost difference between a 496 Mag and a 496 Mag HO is around 5 grand on a new boat. That's only 50 HP, so if the kit gets you 125 HP for $5,800 then that's not such a bad deal.
I guess most people would have to add in the cost of installation since they don't have the skills to "do it yourself". Any idea what that might cost?

Domn8er
12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Seems I remember the cost difference between a 496 Mag and a 496 Mag HO is around 5 grand on a new boat. That's only 50 HP, so if the kit gets you 125 HP for $5,800 then that's not such a bad deal.
I guess most people would have to add in the cost of installation since they don't have the skills to "do it yourself". Any idea what that might cost?
I've called a few places and it looks like it will be around $1500 for installation.

welk2party
12-30-2004, 03:46 PM
This makes getting a new motor all together more appealing to me. Buy the new motor I have my eye on and then sell my HO to recoup some of the cash outlay. Now I have a purpose built motor with another warranty. Just my opinion of course.

shadow
12-30-2004, 04:31 PM
This makes getting a new motor all together more appealing to me. Buy the new motor I have my eye on and then sell my HO to recoup some of the cash outlay. Now I have a purpose built motor with another warranty. Just my opinion of course.
That was one of my thoughts also.But my 496HO has proven "knock on wood" to be bullet proof and dependable,doesn't use or burn oil and is as strong now as it was new.Just wish i had more HP and torque.another added
125HP-150HP should bump me up to the low 80mph range and still be dependable.Compare that to a blue motor for 15k-18k upgrade or whatever it is they charge these days.Just heard that the new Merc 600 is a 35k-40k upgrade from stock.I think Raylar is coming in at a good time alot of 496's are running out of warranty people don't want to purchase a new boat but want to work with what they've got and still keep it dependable.

welk2party
12-30-2004, 04:33 PM
That was one of my thoughts also.But my 496HO has proven "knock on wood" to be bullet proof and dependable,doesn't use or burn oil and is as strong now as it was new.Just wish i had more HP and torque.another added
125HP-150HP should bump me up to the low 80mph range and still be dependable.Compare that to a blue motor for 15k-18k upgrade or whatever it is they charge these days.Just heard that the new Merc 600 is a 35k-40k upgrade from stock.I think Raylar is coming in at a good time alot of 496's are running out of warranty people don't want to purchase a new boat but want to work with what they've got and still keep it dependable.
I agree with your line of thinking too. So many choices. I think I will be talking to some vendors this boat show.

shadow
12-30-2004, 04:46 PM
I agree with your line of thinking too. So many choices. I think I will be talking to some vendors this boat show.
Nice that we have the choices now just what to do. :confused:
There is a Whole lot of 496's out there,i wouldn't be the least bit suprised if people start taking the cores and start building them up with the aftermarket internals,heads and blowers.These parts are now becoming availible and will soon be all over.

DECKKAT
12-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Cant wait......

shadow
12-31-2004, 06:24 AM
Cant wait......
You and me both! ;)

dicudmore
12-31-2004, 06:39 AM
You and me both! ;)
me too :D
I got gas and beer $$$ for a ride :idea: ;)

shadow
12-31-2004, 06:46 AM
me too :D
I got gas and beer $$$ for a ride :idea: ;)
What are you talking about Dan? This is your next set up too!
But you are always welcome with me.

RiverToysJas
12-31-2004, 08:52 AM
There is a Whole lot of 496's out there,i wouldn't be the least bit suprised if people start taking the cores and start building them up with the aftermarket internals,heads and blowers.These parts are now becoming availible and will soon be all over.
I just got the new Summit Racing catalog a couple days ago (nearly 400 pages of aftermarket parts) and didn't see anything for the 496. Where did you find a "whole lot" of aftermarket parts? I've only seen a very limited number of aftermarket manufacturers making things for the 496. I think evenually there will be more available, but it sure seems to be slow coming IMO.
RTJas :D

shadow
12-31-2004, 10:25 AM
I just got the new Summit Racing catalog a couple days ago (nearly 400 pages of aftermarket parts) and didn't see anything for the 496. Where did you find a "whole lot" of aftermarket parts? I've only seen a very limited number of aftermarket manufacturers making things for the 496. I think evenually there will be more available, but it sure seems to be slow coming IMO.
RTJas :D
You may want to go back and re-read that.
I said thet there is a whole lot of 496's out there and parts are now becoming availble and soon will be all over. :)
At this point there are only a few selected aftermarket parts out there and i belive Raylar is at the top of the game at this point. :)

Stealth Marine
01-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Have you recieved your parts yet and if so have you began your install yet.
If not when you start post pics for us to check out. :)
I don't know about anyone else, but I know we are certainly having a hard time getting product from Raylar...

shadow
01-16-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I know we are certainly having a hard time getting product from Raylar...
It's worth the wait!!!!! ;)