PDA

View Full Version : Going Rate on a Rayson Craft

MoJetBoPar
08-05-2002, 04:39 AM
I posted this in the V-drive forum and it hasn't seen many replies, but I'd appreciate any serious thoughts,
Just looking for some opinions on a 68 Rayson Craft that I'm looking at that is for sale.
It is extremely solid, appears to have always been garage kept, turn key but could use a tune up, battery, and some minor cleanup.
It is powered by a Mopar 440 (69 w/67 closed chamber heads), velvet drive and a casale v-drive unit. Very retro, with edelbrock log manifolds and thru-transom exhaust.It has a fresh interior and seems to hold oil pressure, all gauges work, OK paint.It has the single lever adjustable cavitation plates too.
I would be the 4th owner and everything appears to be OK except the guy selling it said the Casale unit needs a seal at the input.
I know what he's asking and will let you guys know, but need opinions on what everyone feels it's worth, seriously.
Thanks

Kwicherbichen
08-06-2002, 01:50 AM
Can ya post a pic or two?
You may want to call someone that has a lot of Raysoncraft knowledge? I don't know who that guy is though? Give Tom Papp a call. He restored a Rayson Craft not too long ago. Tom Papp Racing (http://www.tompappracing.com)
Here are 2 pics of the one he restored for a client.
http://www.tompappracing.com/images/rayson_01.jpg
http://www.tompappracing.com/images/rayson_02.jpg

69 Elim
08-06-2002, 08:05 AM
I could be WAY off here, but I'll go out on a limb without seeing any pics or anything and say somewhere between 6k & 8k. Like I said, what do I know.

08-06-2002, 09:19 AM
Try John Sofilos of Unlimited Marine 650-343-3262. [1330 Rollins rd. Burlingame. Ca.]He produces the original Raysons 20' GN V-bottom and the 18' lo-pro flat. Value will depend on alot of things, such as hull condition, any stress cracks? signs of de-lamination, dry rot in the stringers or water damage? How is it rigged? Brand name hardware or home made? Steering, inside or outside cable or some variation of Morse cable, does it work good? [don't laugh..I've seen some real scary get-ups that were not safe at any speed.] Just because it will turn the rudder on the trailer doesn't mean it will when the boat is in the water. Engine installation, does it look professional? or is it cobbled in? Bolted directly to stringers or on a tray? Trailer, in good condition? Tandem axle or single? Bunks good? These are just a few things to look at to determine the value of a boat.
[ August 06, 2002, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

MoJetBoPar
08-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys!
I will post pic's ASAP, but it will be sometime next week.
The hull is 18' in length and appears to have lived a very dry storage. I couldn't find any discolored wood and no swelling around the stringers like I've seen on some old jets.
The trailer isn't very pretty. It looks homemade and needs the attachment to locate/secure the front of the boat. Minors surface rust removed and new paint would help it alot. But it is very good structurally.

HM
09-19-2002, 06:41 AM
how's the 18 going so far?