PDA

View Full Version : Flat bottoms

Hewittcustomboats
12-13-2004, 04:40 AM
HI race fans To you who do not know me my name is BOBBY HEWITT of HEWITT CUSTOM BOATS I have building flat bottoms for over 25 years I have some great used and new boats avab. any part or info. you may need for any year make or model also sponsor programs for the pros call any time @ 602-463-1895 or e-mail www.hewittcustomboat@aol.com web sight @ www.hewittcustomboats.com love to talk with you BOBBY HEWITT

UBFJ #454
12-13-2004, 06:06 AM
You Flattie Guys should take a look at Bobby's new TR-7 Flattie Design ... It's Really Quite A Boat. He took his time designing it and optimized its design by using extensive wind tunnel tests (up to 200 mph) and input from a very experienced consulting aeronautical enginner ... The result is a "Serious Boat".
While his Capsuled Top Alcohol Flat (TAF) is featured on his WebSite (Some WebSite Sections still under development so be patient), he also builds an open boat version which is great for the lower Racing Classes and Recreational Boating. His prices are quite reasonable for both his hulls and his rigging considering the quality of his work.
A side note ... I know that Bobby has just recently completed setting up 2 new TAF's that will run the IHBA Circuit this coming year ... He Definately Knows How To Build & Set Up Flatties ... As well as quite a few "Other Things".

Moneypitt
12-13-2004, 08:52 AM
It may be on my end, but the site and e mail seem to be having problems......MP

sanger rat
12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
It may be on my end, but the site and e mail seem to be having problems......MP
Ditto

superdave013
12-13-2004, 10:33 AM
I heard you were doing some stuff with those guys in FL. Their boat looked pretty nice in the pics. Is this the same place or are you doing this on the west coast?
All I know is that it's pretty cool to see a few other people laying up v drive hulls.
I think you make the 4th that I've heard about this year. Gotta love it!!

ColeTR1
12-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the boards. Looks like some nice stuff! do you make any heavy layed-up boats that could be used to run up and down the river in?

LeE ss13
12-13-2004, 03:33 PM
HI race fans To you who do not know me my name is BOBBY HEWITT of HEWITT CUSTOM BOATS I have building flat bottoms for over 25 years I have some great used and new boats avab. any part or info. you may need for any year make or model also sponsor programs for the pros call any time @ 602-463-1895 or e-mail www.hewittcustomboat@aol.com web sight @ www.hewittcustomboats.com love to talk with you BOBBY HEWITT
Is this the same Bobby Hewitt that repaired the delamenated floor of my Daytona circle boat at Auto Marine Engineering in '95? If so, I would like to have some words with you.

Ex PSI Canyon
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey SS, do you mean 'nice words" or something else?

LeE ss13
12-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Hey SS, do you mean 'nice words" or something else?
Well ... that wouldn't be fair to say until it is confirmed to THE Bobby Hewitt Jr. that performed the work!!!

UBFJ #454
12-13-2004, 05:47 PM
LeE ss13 -
Spoke with Bobby w/in the last hour .. His # is (602) 463-1895 if you'd like to talk with him rather than post about things 10 years old.
Matt -
Your last post was ill advised at best ... Whatever these guys have to talk about is between Them, Professionals ... Not Amateurs ... Just some advice.

UBFJ #454
12-13-2004, 06:05 PM
ColeTR1 -
The hull on the his WebSite weighs around 550 lbs. w/out the capsule ... Yes, he lays up open boats for recreational use ... Contact him directly for more info ... # is posted above.
If anyone is interested ...
The Capsule Boat pictured on his WebSite is Available for a Group to Campaign Seriously Next Year On The IHBA National Circuit in TAF ... Required, a BAE, or "Equivalent"/Superior Motor Program ... A Commitment To A Serious Program With Attention To Detail (Rigging & Weights & Balances, in Particular) ... And ... A Desire To Win ... Safely. If interested contact Bobby Directly.

LeE ss13
12-13-2004, 06:08 PM
LeE ss13 -
Spoke with Bobby w/in the last hour .. His # is (602) 463-1895 if you'd like to talk with him rather than post about things 10 years old.
Just got off the phone with him. All is well. I watched him build that mold, and it was a work of art. My concern was about his father, one of the founding fathers of drag boat racing. I have not seen him since the late '80s. He's retired and playing golf. cool...

superdave013
12-13-2004, 07:17 PM
ColeTR1 -
If anyone is interested ...
The Capsule Boat pictured on his WebSite is Available for a Group to Campaign Seriously Next Year On The IHBA National Circuit in TAF ... Required, a BAE, or "Equivalent"/Superior Motor Program ... A Commitment To A Serious Program With Attention To Detail (Rigging & Weights & Balances, in Particular) ... And ... A Desire To Win ... Safely. If interested contact Bobby Directly.
Hey bear, you should dump that pumper and campain that flat. ;)
You seem to know all the details. Care to answer my above question?

LeE ss13
12-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Dave ... I need some more of your Excellent aluminum work. I will PM you.

superdave013
12-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Dave ... I need some more of your Excellent aluminum work. I will PM you.
sounds expensive, I like it! lol :D
j/k, let me know what you need.

UBFJ #454
12-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Quote superdave013 - "Hey bear, you should dump that pumper and campain that flat."
Dave ...
We've knocked that idea around for quite awhile, but, don't think at this point it's a good use of either Bobby's or our resourses for several reasons ...
1) While we could put our motor in Bobby's boat and probably run a pretty good ProMod Program, I think Bobby's Boat would be better used in a Top Class such as TAF, or TFF (if such a class were opened up) ... He would Benefit More from doing that in terms of Advertising ... Plus the boat was built to run there.
2) None of our Team are really good "Flattie Guys" and it could be quite an expensive learning curve for us to get "Geared Up" to be Really Competitive in a Flattie ... The mechanical part of a program all of us could handle from day one, but, adapting it to running a Flattie Safely & Successfully ... That's a different matter.
And,
3) And probably most important ... We haven't Finished What We Started with the Brendella ... Gotten to the point where we can't go any faster ... Besides, we like doing things that others haven't done and I have made certain commitments to try and effect the evolution of our Jet Program into something more than where we are now ... The UBFJ & PE Classes are hopefully only a starting point for us in terms of our overall growth.
Other than the above ... Mainly Our Prior Commitments ... we'd love to campaign Bobby's Boat and will help Bobby and Whomever he ultimately hooks up with in any way we can ... The Boat has one heck of a lot of potential if put in the right hands ... We're just on a "Different Track" right now ... Hope that answers your question.
Jak

Ex PSI Canyon
12-14-2004, 05:37 AM
I was interested in taking a look at his flattie he's building, If a member posts something possibly derogative about someone, In this case it sounded like it may be, I would like to know if the guy is on the up n up. As far as amateurs go I would pretty much put you in that category Jack with that Disco Jet boat you call a drag boat, Boy that really means something when your unblown fuel jet is points champion in NJBA with how many boats to compete 2 maybe. Wow, impressive! lets plaster it all over the internet. Oh, and I guess you must be a flatbottom know it all now! I suggest you stay the hell out of my business. Amateur

UBFJ #454
12-14-2004, 06:38 AM
The NJBA does not award Championships in Classes where only two (2) boats run ... There must be at least three (3). This past year six (6) boats ran UBFJ at one time or another.

Hud
12-14-2004, 06:48 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119IMG_0009.jpg Is this the TR-7 ?

Hud
12-14-2004, 06:50 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119IMG_0010.jpg

Sanger D
12-14-2004, 06:58 AM
that is one bad ass lookin boat!! I,d drive for free!!!!two boats? njba will bumb you to a class above so,s you can compete but the boats you run against will do the smack down on ya .Thats what happened to a buddy of mine this year.He only had his hydro and one other so it was,nt enough to have a class so they bumped him up now he ,s gotta run against way faster boats ,kinda sucks I guess but at least he still gets to compete.
Sanger D :idea:

Jetboatguru
12-14-2004, 08:42 AM
I was interested in taking a look at his flattie he's building, If a member posts something possibly derogative about someone, In this case it sounded like it may be, I would like to know if the guy is on the up n up. As far as amateurs go I would pretty much put you in that category Jack with that Disco Jet boat you call a drag boat, Boy that really means something when your unblown fuel jet is points champion in NJBA with how many boats to compete 2 maybe. Wow, impressive! lets plaster it all over the internet. Oh, and I guess you must be a flatbottom know it all now! I suggest you stay the hell out of my business. Amateur
I have to agree with this!!
I am skeptical about doing business with Bobby Hewitt. In Phoenix he came up to me with a propeller and told me I should run it. I looked it over and it looked like something I should definitely try. So I told him great lets throw it on there. Then he told me he would be right back and he came back with a completely different propeller and told me here ya go! I looked at it and told him this is not even remotely close to the same propeller he had just shown me. He swore up and down that it was. When I wouldn't budge, he admitted that it was not the same one. Why would he do this?

superdave013
12-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I heard you were doing some stuff with those guys in FL. Their boat looked pretty nice in the pics. Is this the same place or are you doing this on the west coast?
Bear, I was just funning with ya on dumpin the pumper. I know your goals and think it's pretty cool. I was looking for the response to the above question.

UBFJ #454
12-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Hud -
What you have in your pictures above is not a boat, but, a plug for new Flatties that someone else is going to make ... He brought it to the World Finals to show it off. Pictures of the new TR-7 are on Bobby's website ... If you look closely and compare the pictures you have with the ones on Hewitt's site, you'll see quite a bit of difference.
Jetboatguru -
I've always found Bobby to be straight up front with me, but, that's me. Re the prop business at the World Finals ... All I know is that I saw him with 2 new ones over at Jerry Davis' Boat and they tried at least one of them and it liked to stall the motor coming out of the hole ... Then really hooked up. Maybe the one he originally showed you was on Jerry's boat at the time and he brought over the other ... I don't know ... Just a possibility.

Jetboatguru
12-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Jack,
He admitted to it afterwards. I just can't figure out why he would do it.

taf171
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
The pictures above are of the plug for the new Koas flatbottom being built by Steve Loporchio and Jim Bandellin. We brought it to Phoenix to get some feedback. Bobby's boat and our boat are really quite different, but we do have something in common. We both agree that the design of the flatbottom needs to be updated. I do not know how Bobby's was designed, but the Kaos was designed strictly for drag racing. Everything from the angled sides, to the tail wings to the design of the deck has a purpose. We are working on getting the mold done and hoping to have the first boat out by the beginning of March. Our goal is to have the first one ready to run at Phoenix. As soon as the first boat is out of the mold we will start on the second. Our goal is to keep an assortment of parts in stock, including, bare hull, chassis, fins, struts, rudders and cavitation hardware.
For info call Steve @ 323 258-6459 or Jim @ 714 558-9455

ACCEPTENCE
12-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh-Boy!!!...Is this the same Bobby Hewitt that drove the Mastercharge boat???
Is this the same Bobby Hewitt that used to roll around the San Fernando Valley???
Is it possible, could it be???
Kinda makes ya go hummmm...

PE 316
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Here is an EASIER task:
How about finding someone who HASN'T driven the Mastercharge boat!
Mike

ACCEPTENCE
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Now that you mention it your very correct, I guess that would be easier.
BTW- Tell your dad I said hello, haven't seen you guys in forever.

mfrey
12-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Is this the same Bobby Hewitt that used to roll around the San Fernando Valley???
Is it possible, could it be???
Kinda makes ya go hummmm...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1472ch81mastchrg-med.jpg
Mastercharge 1982

DaveA
12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Here is an EASIER task:
How about finding someone who HASN'T driven the Mastercharge boat!
Mike
:D :D
That'd be me....Right here....c'mon!

Hewittcustomboats
12-18-2004, 07:12 AM
I have replys to the notes I have read first to tony about that prop. that I had shown you it was a new design I have been working on and when you seen it and said you would try it later on I was happy I then went back to jerrys pit and Dallas had given me 2 other props for other people I put them all in jerrys truck the one I showed you had a lab finish the other 2 did not Dallas said thier the same props as I had asked for then after first round jerry ran 7.23 I said put 50s in it and put this prop on it ran quicker on 1/8 but labored on the top end so he went back to old faithful black prop at that time I grab a prop and went to your pit you said this is not the same prop I going on what I was told said yes it should be then you pointed out it was not I saw it also I was so embarrased I did not know what to say when I got back to jerrys pit Dallas was still thier I said what is this prop? he looked at and said oops this one was going to andy D. I then said I just looked like a fool to tony. Tony had I had known your thoughts other then my embarrsment I would of returned with that prop and told you how it ran on jerrys boat my fault my embarrsment nothing other then this I have GREAT respect for you I do not know what else to say ........ TO the circle boat person who asked if I was the same person who did a fiberglass repair on your boat at a.m.e. I can not rember this repair evenso if you know me and Tom personaly we would of reparied it at no charge why at that time did you not say something? and if you did to Tom I heard nothing about it evenso as of today I will still stand behiend my work! and if any one that I have done work for has any problems even if it was 20-30 years ago call me it is still good!.......I have always kept my word of what I have said even as far as if you do not like my boat Ill buy it back I have olny had to do this twice in 25 years one was willie L. I had built him a TR-5 ....I olny built 3 of them The first one went to Jack Brownie that boat never lost a round it holds every record in its class and still today he will not sell it... willie wanted one he did not like it he said it feels too loose so I gave him a stock TR-2 paint and all at no cost.......The second boat I bought back was my new TR-7 who Robert Sanders bought he ran it for one year with out any problems other then personal SO I bought it back also and greatfullyso. the third TR-5 TOM Label has and he will not sell either......AS far as the new TR-7 all of us has spent alot of time and$$$$... I used aTR-2 for a plug the best all around boat still today as the bottom I used a mako center keel a TR-4 runners and deepend the tunnels under capsule for lift the best of all as I see it.....The Deck is where most of the$$$$$$$$....went and it was a Blessing how that came about a airnotaicole enigenier who had access to a wind tunnel nassa type got envolved.....so at $10k a pop we had use of it with 18-20 people on sight all 3 times we used it along with thier guidence at 200.M.P.H. this boat looks like a leir jet! I just need to make more laps with it I let jerry use it after his bad crash at red bluff for the waco race last year even as tight as I set the boat up for safety reasons we still went to the final round olny to red light aginest singeltin.......WE have to grow with a new flatbottom thier has not been one since I had coles$$$ todo so! as far as the new koas flat ALL my best wishes for you we need as meany good builders as possible to step up to the plate spend the$$$$$$$$...and time other then those who buy a 30 year mold call it what they may and sell boats any of you can call me at any time you need sorry for the bad spelling ect. this is my first coumpter any complantes or quistions please call me @602-463-1895 any time I will read all your comments posted and reply I hope they emprove
my best wishes to you all be SAFE......BOBBY

schiada96
12-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Cool response.