PDA

View Full Version : roller rockers bbc

travis hathaway
02-09-2002, 07:39 PM
what brand of roller rockers would some of you chevy enthusiasts suggest for my 454

Tinkerboater
02-09-2002, 07:47 PM
Unless you are building a high HP engine any of the name brand will work. You don't need the high $ ones.

Blown Sleek
02-09-2002, 10:13 PM
I have run the Harlen sharp 1.7? for last few seasons they have not failed me yet.
Pretty inexpensive Got them from J.R. at Chet Herbert.

jstwkd
02-10-2002, 09:03 AM
I was going to ask the same question?Was wondering if I should run a set of billet alum.by erson black anodized or comp. cams magnum rockers made of 4340 chomemoly a little heavier. Have both sets not sure what to run?

superdave013
02-10-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Blown Sleek:
I have run the Harlen sharp 1.7? for last few seasons they have not failed me yet.
Pretty inexpensive Got them from J.R. at Chet Herbert.
I had a Chet Herbert Harlen Sharp fail on me. The trunion broke. Yep, a chunk when in the oil pump and trashed it too. I have had trouble with other of their house brand parts too. Bummer for me because they are so close to my house.
I would look for a set that has the largest trunions you can get. I have some from Clay Smith that are huge and can be rebuilt. Comp Cams makes some nice ones and Crane are some good ones too. Don't skip because if it does let you down, you could loose more than just one rocker.
Here is a pic of my valve train. I know the lash is still loose in the photo.
http://fs8.dotphoto.com/MemberImages/235046/iB9993760-D4D8-4C51-A475-1DEAE166967F.jpg
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited February 11, 2002).]

spectras only
02-10-2002, 07:04 PM
I've got Speed Pro on two BBF ,beefy as SD's on his engine ,full needle bearing type.

lakecrazy
02-11-2002, 07:31 AM
I've run Crane energizer roller rockers on my BBF for the last 3 seasons with no problems.

mister460
02-11-2002, 08:54 AM
I've got Crower stainless on my truck (460 BB Ford, roughly 625 hp) and they work great. I rev it to over 6500 and have never floated a valve. They'll run you about 350 bucks though. But they're worth it!

travis hathaway
02-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the replys and suggestions. I was running Crane and several of them lost needle bearings and failed, causing head, piston,and cylinder damage. Crane offered to replace them for $233.09 Part #13750-16. I was looking on E-bay and saw some Scorpian Brand for $189. Never heard of them but seller said they were best sold by Brodix. I would like to have some that would hold up when I build more hp. I have heard good things about the Crower Stainless. This topic is getting interesting! Keep it rolling!

Boater Bill
02-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Comp Cams Pro Magnum's. I would stay away from the aluminum rockers but I don't believe you need the s.s. ones unless you are going endurance/offshore racing.

FoMoCo
02-11-2002, 01:19 PM
I am runnin Comp Cams Stainless rockers, they are rebuildable, and VERY STRONG! Plus they are the only company I could find that had 1.8 ratio for my exhaust!!! Everybody is right DON'T SKIMP ON THE VALVE TRAIN.... I don't wanna be doin 80 + and have a rocker or a pushrod fail!!!!

DOHARA
02-11-2002, 04:54 PM
TRAVIS, stay away from the reg. comp rocker arms the ones with just the roller tips. This last season on a fresh motor we were on a Havasu trip and went for a morning run, doing about 65mph on glassy water my motor made a nastey noise and I shut it down. I thought I blew it up. After I checked everything visually I started it back up and it was popping thru carb and was only fireing on seven cylinders. I nursed it back to the natical and started pulling plugs etc., found number two cyl. had a black plug. oh shit. I put it on trailer and pulled exhaust manifolds, pulled valve covers, and what do ya know. #2 exhaust rocker stud busted and took out intake pushrod and exploded the lifters. After further investigating I noticed the rocker stud looked burnt, looked at the trunion and base of rocker and it too was burnt. Anyways to make a long story a little shorter, the oiling holes were drilled wrong on rockers causing oil to overshoot rocker and lube the trunion at the base and weakened the stud and let go. It cost me about $500.00 in damage, tear motor down, replace all lifters,all pushrods, and new rockers. This time I went with the pro magnum rollers by comp and no problems so far. So whatever you do go with a full roller set not the stamped set with roller tip cause they are crap. sorry so long. Check out JEGS online and price out what you can afford. How about some JESEL's they only cost you a grand http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
DANO

bakerman
02-11-2002, 04:58 PM
alot of people have diff opinion's so here's mine! i would say run "schnieder" very well built i know of a few shop's that swear buy them along with myself plus john force run's them along with a lot of monster truck's that's my .o2
[This message has been edited by bakerman (edited February 11, 2002).]

MrHavasuCat
02-11-2002, 05:18 PM
I am running Jesel rockers on a blown 510. They have been great so far.

Racing Ray
02-11-2002, 05:45 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 18, 2002).]

Blown Sleek
02-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Guess I am lucky they are in the ski motor now! (harlen Sharp) My budy is running his for the fourth year and no probs mine are only at about 20 hours and third motor!! Don't use them I would feel bad if something happined!Tow me back if mine fail??
I guess I will deserve to paddle huh.

Racing Ray
02-11-2002, 08:12 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 18, 2002).]

superdave013
02-12-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Racing Ray:
The problem with the Harlands is not quality of materials it is the design. They are designed with sharp corners these are prone to crack right in front of the trunion just below the roller arm.
Crane Gold rockers (the early style) had the same problem. They went back and re-engineered them and incorporated some ribbing to reinforce them problem solved. The extruding dies must cost a small fortune and Harland just dosent command that large a following.
The Harland that failed on me broke the trunion it's self. It rocker didn't break but did get all mangled by the trunion chunks.
Blown Sleek, not knocking your choice of parts, just relating what happend to me. I'll tow you and you tow me when I break too. We all break down, it happens http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif