PDA

View Full Version : New to V-Drives

Lake Ape
12-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Hello,
I just sold my Nordic and am looking for a V-Drive to keep up with my buddies Campbell. I just took my first ride in his V-Drive and learned how to drive this last weekend and am hooked. I am just starting my search for one and don't really know what to look for, I will most likely have to get a loan from the bank or maybe a home equity deal. I am just looking at the adds for V-Drives and was wondering the Schiada's bring so much, what makes them so good? I have found adds for Schiada's, Spectras (Contentials too), Southwinds, and finally this one on eBay.
http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/08/82/22_3.JPG
Cheyenne (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4512051116&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting)
Other than motors, what should I look for? My buddies Campbell has two 35 gallon tanks which I think is cool, I think I need a good V in the hull so I can goto Havasu during the chop, etc.
What else do I need to consider? Is the eBay boat worth that much from the description and pictures?
Thanks,
Lake Ape

Lake Ape
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
BTW, I've had a few people ask about my Nordic, it had a Bravo One on it not a V-Drive.
Thanks,
Lake Ape

Lake Ape
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Come on, I can't believe no one on this forum has any advice for me. What should I look for? Is Schiada the boat to get, is it that much better than the rest? I want to buy something in the next couple of months to beat the summer swarms and increased prices. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am tired of rebuilding, cleaning, showering, etc. my outdrive so I definitely ain't gettin' another one of those..

GofastRacer
12-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Schiadas have been top of the line boats forever that's why the high price, check with "JordanPaulk" (he's in Phoenix) he has a bitchin one for sale at a good price!..Spectra, Raysoncraft and Rush are also great boats. I would pass on that one on E-Bay for sure!..

bigkatboat
12-13-2004, 08:17 PM
A number of hull designs will run with V-drive, and going with the over priced brands don't insure success. Look at v-driveboat.com and ask your questions there.

NitroMan
12-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Come on, I can't believe no one on this forum has any advice for me. What should I look for? Is Schiada the boat to get, is it that much better than the rest? I want to buy something in the next couple of months to beat the summer swarms and increased prices. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am tired of rebuilding, cleaning, showering, etc. my outdrive so I definitely ain't gettin' another one of those..
If your really as gay as you sound, come out with an outboard.

Morg
12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
O.K. I'll bite.
I know nothing about v-drive cruizers.
But welcome to the dark side. Their are a few guys in here that are very familiar with the "big boats", give them time they will chime in. -Thats "chime" with an M. c'mon. :p

Lake Ape
12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
If your really as gay as you sound, come out with an outboard.
No, not gay at all, that's why I sold the Nordic. I inherited the boat from an Uncle who thought the paint was way cool! Nice friggin' hat BTW, is that 8-71 or 10-71?
Thanks guys, I will check out V-Drive.com

ColeTR1
12-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Schiadas, Spectra, Raysoncraft, and Rush
Gofast named the top 4
Conley, Hallet, Hondo, and Dimarco is some good older boats!
Cool boats for sale
dimarco (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/7/76996257.htm)

Lake Ape
12-14-2004, 01:45 PM
How does Rayson Craft stack up against the others? I could easily build a motor for this boat but is it worth $18,000 I don't have a clue. It's listed in the ***boat Classifieds.
I am trying to figure out exactly what I want before I go out test driving everything on the planet. The wife did sign off on the deal last night, so new boat by summer!
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/images/936_2.jpg

Kindsvater Flat
12-14-2004, 02:02 PM
I believe that is the Fat Elephant Bastard boat. And from what I understand its worth it. Someone here knows the owner. I have seen this boat run on the River Rats video.

Sangerboy
12-14-2004, 07:52 PM
I believe the current owner of the Rayson Craft is slowpoke on the boards here. Word is is that he bought something a lot bigger and faster to go with his hemi Dimarco :rollside:

GofastRacer
12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
That is Pat Eason's boat and he sold it to "Slowpoke", that is a badass boat, it's a tipical GN boat!..

Lake Ape
12-14-2004, 08:43 PM
forgive me for not knowing, what is a GN boat? I need a good recreation boat that'll go fast when I want it too. What do you all think?

83nordic
12-15-2004, 10:51 AM
There is a 21' Spectra in the Boatrader from a guy here on the boards I think, merlin motor sounds real nice for the price, big enough to keep the wife happy but still v-drive fun. Good Luck

GofastRacer
12-15-2004, 10:55 AM
forgive me for not knowing, what is a GN boat? I need a good recreation boat that'll go fast when I want it too. What do you all think?
A GN is a Grand National, they run marathon. This the same boat as the blue one (less interior of course) it runs in the tripple didgits in the shit!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/12GN_boat.jpg

76BARRON
12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
if it was me ..............Id take a good long look at that rasoncraft gn boat!
It's not every day you get a chance at a boat with that kind of pedigree!
That boat has proven it self to be able to run with the best! Shiada or other wise! But be careful, as it may make your buddies cambell look a bit..............
shall we say......stuffy? This is definitely a big boy toy! :D
choose wisely.....good luck!
76BARRON

Lake Ape
12-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Just curious about how many horsepower it would take to make the Rayson Craft hull come alive and be useable. It's doesn't have the gas capacity that I want but from what everyone says it will eat the afternoon chop at Havasu and powell for lunch or I guess diner.
Lake Ape

76BARRON
12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I would think not less than 600 hp = ok
700 hp = good
800 hp = better
as you can see there is alot of room for improvment!
others on these boards will be able to answer better than me.

FlatStupid
12-15-2004, 07:34 PM
No, not gay at all, that's why I sold the Nordic. I inherited the boat from an Uncle who thought the paint was way cool! Nice friggin' hat BTW, is that 8-71 or 10-71?
Thanks guys, I will check out V-Drive.com Is it jut me or is Jim Anderson back gettin ready to do 150 again? Ifeel so used! :frown:

GofastRacer
12-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Just curious about how many horsepower it would take to make the Rayson Craft hull come alive and be useable. It's doesn't have the gas capacity that I want but from what everyone says it will eat the afternoon chop at Havasu and powell for lunch or I guess diner.
Lake Ape
Well that depends on how fast you want to go, you can put 500hp in and gear it right and it will run all day long. If you want to haul ass then you're looking at 800hp minimum and go from there, it's only $$$$$$$$$$ :D How much gas does it hold??, I don't remember but they looked like pretty good size tanks when I looked at it!.. :confused:

GofastRacer
12-16-2004, 06:09 PM
This is "corleone17"'s boat, it's another very clean piece at a very good price, I've seen it!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1272_Flyincontinental.jpg

Jake W2
12-16-2004, 06:58 PM
I think I am about to ask a stupid question.In the River Rats vid why does the Fat Elephant Bastard boat have a CAT badge on the motor?Is it a joke or am I missing something.
Jake

Lake Ape
12-16-2004, 07:20 PM
This is "corleone17"'s boat, it's another very clean piece at a very good price, I've seen it!..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1272_Flyincontinental.jpg
Yea, I need to run up there and check it out, I am so busy working that I haven't had a day or weekend off in months. I am saving for the ladies at the ranch before I go.....LOL....Not really....

GofastRacer
12-16-2004, 07:24 PM
I am saving for the ladies at the ranch!..
Sounds good to me!.. :D :D