PDA

View Full Version : BBf questions

Ken F
12-13-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm going to purchase a set of aluminum heads soon for my BBF.
What would be the recomendations from those of you in the know?
I currently have a spanking new set of SRP 10.5/1 nitrous pistons, so I was thinking of (building toward installing a blower next year.) possibly getting some heads with a larger combustion chamber to lower the compression, and improve burn.
Motorsport & Bluethunder (although I've heard of some bad machine work on these) have both been recomended. Any opinions?
Is the BBF stock bottom end stout enough to handle a blower in a lake situation with low boost? Thanks for your patience.
Ken F

LakesOnly
12-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Bad machine work on the NEW TFS/Ford Motorsport A460 heads and the Blue Thunder heads? Never heard that one before; on the contrary, the finishing touches and detail are but one of what's favorably noted about these heads.
I have heard complaints about the Kaase/SCJ head's machine work. There is lot's of room for improvement (appearance-wise) and many don't like the look of what's delivered.
The A460 heads have 91 cc combustion chambers and might be better suited for lowering compression in a blower application than would many of the other heads with smaller combustion chambers.
I am weary of pushing stock parts to the limits, but many have had success. Here is a post from another forum:
"Due to the costs of importing parts to the UK we have in the past run a lot of "stock parts" with very suprising results.....0.030 over 429 (435ci), stock 2 bolt block(arp main studs), stock crank, stock passenger car rods(milodon bolts), trw"cobra jet"forged pistons, cobra jet aluminum heads with a tunnel ram and 2 1050 dominators, roller cam and a 250 shot of giggle gas. with this combo we ran 8.98 @149mph in a 2600lb street tire hot rod! We guess this engine made around 850-900hp. it ran for 4 seasons without
any failures."
I wouldn't recommend the above; if you can afford a blower, you certainly can afford good rods. By the way, that guy above is running a 3.59 stroke (.030" over 429) and so bothe the average and maximum piston/rod speed is minmized.
The oem cranks, on the other hand, are surpisingly strong; very strong with prep work such as cross-drilling and cool-casing (which I'm told is more effective on a cast crankshaft than nitriding). I know a guy that did a 7.14 in the quarter with a cast crankshaft (well prepped) and recently a new truck puller has come onto the other forum and is spinning a 472 to sustained 9000 rpm, cast crankshaft. This one must be hella prepped, too.
Get the A460 heads with the big flow numbers and the 2.300 intake valve.
LO

HEAVYBOAT
12-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Ken ,
First off what exhaust configuration can you use? Can you run a manifold/header with a Chevy ex flange or run a raised BBF port or do you need the factory BBF ex location? That defiantly narrows down your options.
Are those new pistons you bought flat tops, or dish? If they are a dish, how much negative cc? The 96cc Edelbrocks are the largest combustion chamber I’m aware of. And those heads with a zero deck .040 head gasket and a negitive 30cc dish piston still only gets you around 9 to 1. If a guy wanted to he could pretty easily open up those chambers to say 100cc’s…and that would help lower the CR a bit.
When I have more info on your combo, I'll give you my opinions on what to do.
Rick

notfastenuf
12-15-2004, 08:49 PM
If you already have pistons for the standard heads I would go with the Blue Thunder heads that have the chevy exhaust flange, and they come in three chamber sizes 74, 80, and 100 cc chambers.

Blown 472
12-16-2004, 02:32 AM
I ran a stock ford 460 crank with cj rods on a blown motor with nine psi of boost. Made a few oiling mods after I killed two cranks. First off ditched the cross drilling, open the last two main brg uppers to match the hole in the block, opened the first upper brg to feed the dist gear, and a light counter sink on the hole that the oil pump bolts to the block to offer a light taper rather than a shear as the hole in the pump is bigger then the block. I also ditched the right angle adaptor and ran a short filter.
I ran the stock clearances on the rods and mains with a stock cj pump and a milodon rear pick up pan, this combo ran for two years with a 6:71 on it at 5200 rpm.
This was my combo you can do what ever you want as I was just adding my two cents for what ever it is worth.
And before anyone says anything about the rpm, this was on a five cylinder motor as three of the cylinders had the shit scored out of them from that pos comp cam that lost a lobe and lifter.
PS, if you are going to run a blower buy the blue thunder intake, very nice piece, you will have to run a small dist as an msd will not work, too big. The intake has cj ports that will work very well with the blue thunder heads. The stock ford dist with a diff breaker plate and a light spring will work run a blue gromet module box and a good coil and drive it.