PDA

View Full Version : Why are people affraid of HP

HeavyHitter
12-03-2001, 07:48 PM
There seems to be a real fear of horsepower out there. I've tried to sell my nicely powered good condition jet boat for a while now. I get calls from people who claim to be "...really interested..", and "...ready to buy now..." so I get suckered into meeting them half way only to find they're real flakes about real horsepower. I've been giving honest GPS speed numbers and people don't buy that it takes that much power to go 92mph. The open bow Kachina Saber looks and sounds innocent but carries a mean bite. There isn't much on the lake that really runs over 100 mph with two people in it. I've beaten a 19' Daytona with 14:1 598, a Performance 19 with a blown 510, and run with big hitting race bare 19's and Daytonas. The boat is $13k with a twin turbo EFI 514 BBF. Makes over 1000 hp/ft-lb. Pump has all the toys. Since everyone that's said they were really interested has been scared of all the plumbing I'll sell the engine for $6000. Any takers e-mail me at wstoss@msn.com

Squirtcha?
12-03-2001, 08:56 PM
This is no bull. I know Wally and he speaks the truth. I've seen the boat run and it's fast. I do, however, keep missing my ride for some strange reason. Wally? It's quiet with the turbos and looks sedate enough with it's covered engine compartment and through hull exhaust. But, if you want to go out and whoop some ass this boat'll do it.

ChetCapoli
12-03-2001, 09:27 PM
Sounds like you been talking with alot of guys like the dimarco kid...people who think nothing about wasting the sellers time. Sad but true.
Chet

FoMoCo
12-03-2001, 09:29 PM
If I had the money for another jet yours would be 1st on by list........ That thing sounds SICK!!!

superdave013
12-03-2001, 09:46 PM
6 grand for a 510 turbo deal in not to bad. What kind of turbo system is it?

superdave013
12-03-2001, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
6 grand for a 510 turbo deal is not to bad. What kind of turbo system is it?

RiverToysJas
12-03-2001, 09:59 PM
This may not apply, but I've heard boat buyers say that they shy away from big hp boats because boats with hard running engines, have usually been run hard. The theory is that, you've built this big engine and it runs like a bat out of hell. You hall ass all summer and sell it before it has a chance to blow up. Also if the boat has a big hp engine, chances are good that hull has seen some abuse also. I don't disagree with the above theory, but I do take each boat on it's own marits.
Therefore, I may be interested in a boat like yours, then see it and think twice about the abuse it likely seen. NOT TO SAY, this is the case with your boat or situation, just that it happens.
My .02,
RTJas

1quickjet
12-03-2001, 10:17 PM
RTJ, I have to agree with you. Before I bought my current boat, I was seriously considering buying a blown Eliminator. Price was OK, not bad, but not great. The motor was about two or three years old, built by a reputable guy. After some deliberation, I spoke with my most trusted boat expert, and said the same thing. More than likely a built, blown boat has been driven hard, not used for mild ski duty. The seller had even told me it had seen 100+ and beat many other boats. For this reason, I shyed away from the deal. If he had been willing to come down on the price, I may have considered it. But the deal just wasn't good enough to live with an abused boat. Like RTJ said, I am also not implying HeavyHitters boat is not a good deal an any way. Nor am I suggesting that his boat is less than top quality. It sounds killer. I am just saying that this may be a reason that potential buyers may be "afraid of real horsepower." http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Dimarco Kid
12-04-2001, 03:19 AM
Hey Chet,
What was that comment suppose to mean?
I don't EVER remember pickin' a bone with you, I also kept you in my "contacts" list because you seem to have some knowledge about jets and your from my side of the river. I was going to purchase a jet awhile back, maybe that's what you mean. If it is, my question to you is, "Would you buy a jet boat with YOUR wife goes to intensive care the night before you leave?" Second, the SOB that I was buying the boat from WON'T respond to ANY type of contact I try to make. e-mails to his son, phone etc. Truth is, I still want to buy the boat, it's just difficult to buy something when someone ignores you. He also has $500 of my money for a deposit and STILL won't respond to me. I've been trying the last 4 months to get of hold of him to go down, but to no avail.
So next you make a comment, think about it for a minute. AND, the last thing I would do is have contact with a BUSINESS MAN who acts like you do. Not professional at all. And I think I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Dimarco Kid

Slick
12-04-2001, 08:59 AM
Heavy Hitter,
I would also like to see some pictures of the setup, mainly with the through-hull exhaust. If you could get a few digital pics, great. If you have 35mm, we'll get 'em scanned for you.
Slick
[This message has been edited by Slick (edited December 04, 2001).]

Blown509Liberator
12-04-2001, 10:13 AM
Heavy Hitter
when I was looking for a new/used boat I passed on a built/ blown motor and a Daytona. Two things made pass on it. Right or wrong …. I am not sure. First big hp motors = more frequent rebuilds. I just wanted to have it done my way. There are just so many hacks out there and I just did not want to open up a can of worms. The motor had a Gen. block and I wanted a Bow tie or a Merlin block. The owner did not have any paper work on the motor I had to take his work on it. It would have been a late November sale and being in Chicago I could not test drive till spring. The other and probably the biggest deciding factor was its size. It was in a 19’ and I wanted a 21’. I may have looked harder at it if the owner had some paper on the motor....
MikeW

Terrible Buddhist
12-04-2001, 10:36 AM
FYI, Wally is a Quality guy...he was instrumental in helping me get my Twin Turbo built! I just can't believe you are selling that engine!

HBjet
12-04-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Dimarco Kid:
Hey Chet,
What was that comment suppose to mean?
So next you make a comment, think about it for a minute. AND, the last thing I would do is have contact with a BUSINESS MAN who acts like you do. Not professional at all. And I think I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Dimarco Kid
Dimarco Kid, Chet doesn't think. He is one who mouths off saying everyone doesn't know shit, and we all do it old fashioned and do not open our eyes to other possibilities. So whatever Chet posts just ignore it. Oh, do you really want him on your contact list? I guess for a laugh! Here, check out Mr. Chet in action on this topic. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001433.html
HBjet

Dimarco Kid
12-04-2001, 02:50 PM
Yeah your right HBJet.
I shouldn't pay any attention to people like Chet, and pay more attention to you "normal" guys. This jet boat thing is a sore subject with me. Long story short, sent a deposit to hold a boat, wife has an unfortunate accident the night before I'm leaving, call owner of boat and tell him timings wrong and he tells me "The boat will be right here when your ready", we talk about sending deposit back, we both agree to do so (makes no difference to me because still planning to purchase boat) and haven't heard from him since. Didn't return money, phone calls, e-mails to his son etc... HAD full intention of buying the boat and now I'm screwed.
Chet has the balls to say I wasted his time, I think $500 for a few phone calls is a damn god deal.
Those type of people don't have a clue about how the Maine people do things either, a hand shake is all we need. Screw us and you done. I WILL have a talk with the person who was selling his boat, promise. Funny thing, I have his address which happens to be in a little town called Cicero, NY. Cicero is ALSO where D Kid has scheduled some snowmobile asphalt races to attend next year. How ironic, maybe CHET could come too. I would like that.
God Bless you "Real ***boaters"
D Kid
P.S. HBJet, I guarantee that instead of stopping and thinking "I might have made an honest mistake" Chet will say something ignorent, probably not a ignorent as starting something on SOMEBODY ELSES behalf, but it will be close. Mark my words.
[This message has been edited by Dimarco Kid (edited December 04, 2001).]

Dimarco Kid
12-04-2001, 02:56 PM
To Heavy Hitter,
I apologize to you for posting unrelated statements under YOUR topic. In now way did I mean to offend anyone (sept Chet).
Again, I apologize and in all honesty probably wouldn't buy your boat anyway. I got a Chevy and I couldn't live with myself having a Ford that went faster!!! LOL
D Kid

Leland Bailey
12-04-2001, 05:24 PM
This sight really got off track. sorry some of you guys have issues. Ill bet the guy with the jet boat has a nice ride. People are afraid of the big power boats but let them try to build one. Then they won't think its such a bad deal.

HeavyHitter
12-04-2001, 05:24 PM
For those interested. Look under the Kachina photo album here http://www.msnusers.com/HeavyHitter
Here are some engine specs. 4.15 forged big radius crank ground by Lunati. 4 bolt splayed 4340 main caps. Lunati Pro Mod rods (6.535). .080 over JE pistons with C&A zero gap rings. Rotating assembly internally balanced. Aluminum Cobra Jet heads with inconel exh. SS int. valves. Electromotive engine controller (fuel and ingnition). 85 lb/hr injectors, flying toilet air door (2400 cfm) T04B turbos with Genty water jacketed turbine housings (call Boost Power USA, they want $1800each for these). Solid cam for reliability and longevity. And yes Squirtcha you still have to go for a ride. Maybe the next Propduster outing? If you want to see the latest engine Larry snuck a photo onto his website WWW.larrysengine.com (http://WWW.larrysengine.com) engines upper right. Not sure why he doesn't show any of his 572 with 10-71's. Nice 1000 hp set up for reasonable $$. He thinks I'm crazy with all the plumbing work that goes into turbo engines.

ChetCapoli
12-04-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by HBjet:
Dimarco Kid, Chet doesn't think. He is one who mouths off saying everyone doesn't know shit, and we all do it old fashioned and do not open our eyes to other possibilities. So whatever Chet posts just ignore it. Oh, do you really want him on your contact list? I guess for a laugh!
HBjet
Hey snowball!
what's the matter bud? Limelight gettin lonely by yourself or what? Old chet doesnt think eh?? I mouth off saying nobody knows anything??? Tell me where? I'm listening. Now cheer..oops i mean play fair RAHndy.
whatever chet posts just ignore it..hmmm...better do what you say bud!
You really should stick to cheerleading , it suits you!
Chet

ChetCapoli
12-04-2001, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dimarco Kid:
[B]Yeah your right HBJet.
I shouldn't pay any attention to people like Chet, and pay more attention to you "normal" guys. This jet boat thing is a sore subject with me. Long story short, sent a deposit to hold a boat, wife has an unfortunate accident the night before I'm leaving, call owner of boat and tell him timings wrong and he tells me "The boat will be right here when your ready", we talk about sending deposit back, we both agree to do so (makes no difference to me because still planning to purchase boat) and haven't heard from him since. Didn't return money, phone calls, e-mails to his son etc... HAD full intention of buying the boat and now I'm screwed.
Chet has the balls to say I wasted his time, I think $500 for a few phone calls is a damn god deal.
Those type of people don't have a clue about how the Maine people do things either, a hand shake is all we need. Screw us and you done. I WILL have a talk with the person who was selling his boat, promise. Funny thing, I have his address which happens to be in a little town called Cicero, NY. Cicero is ALSO where D Kid has scheduled some snowmobile asphalt races to attend next year. How ironic, maybe CHET could come too. I would like that.
P.S. HBJet, I guarantee that instead of stopping and thinking "I might have made an honest mistake" Chet will say something ignorent, probably not a ignorent as starting something on SOMEBODY ELSES behalf, but it will be close. Mark my words.
Ok d kid,
i had a pretty good feeling it was you. I would be half inclined to simpathize with you about your wife and all but after picking on me about working on vending machines...pal i'm speechless! FYI, i've worked for a few of the most respected shops in the Northeast dirt track racing scene for over 15 years(PA & NY). Its fun when your 20 yrs old and dont have a family but when you get older you need benifits for the kids so thats why i work for the vending machine co. now.(Good benefits, more pay, less hours, and less dirty hands day in and day out). Assembling motors and machining heads day in and day out gets old after a while. oh yea, i'm also giving my back a rest.
Anyways, as far as your boat dilema, i was over at the local jet shop(eating donuts)and working on my boat and some guy(cant remember name) showed up to talk to the owner and he saw us working on my boat. He started telling us about his "showroom condition" jet and how it's for sale. The owner thought he had sold it cuz he told him a while ago it was. Thats when this guy got into the story..your story.
Sounds almost like you told it but not quite. There is always two sides to every story as you well know and yes i do have the balls to say you wasted his time. Doesnt HIS time count?? I think it does. Ask heavyhitter and i bet he'll agree too. Where i come from, if you put $$ on a deal, it's a done deal especially after a month or whatever it was and other interested parties lost out. simple. I'm not speaking on his behalf as i dont know him other than for a few minutes. He still has the boat and i bet it will be there till spring so i am sure it is yours if you want it. My only question is why did you want your deposit back if you still want to buy the boat? If you had a family problem i would think you'd make other arrangements for a later date, not request your money back. Sounds fishy to me. Deposits by way of $$ speak louder than any handshake i know of, especially when it's long distance.
I'm just callin it the way i see it is all. Sorry if you dont like the way i see it.
chet

Dimarco Kid
12-05-2001, 03:20 AM
Actually Chet, it was his idea to send the money. "I'm not out to take anyones money." was his exact words. He seemed like a man a of good nature and I was trying to work with him anyway I could, after all, I was the one who didn't show the first trip around. But, keeping my deposit and disappearing off the face of the earth, is that right?
And your also right about everyones time is valuble. But I think he made out all right in the long run, don't you think? In our few consversations I asked many times I asked if anyone else was interested and the answer was "no".
The point at hand is, how can you consider I wasted his time when I'm up here in ME trying to get a hold of him to purchase the boat, how do you figure that? To waste someones time you have to leavem hangin' I would think? I think he wasted my time AND took my money!
As far as the comment goes about your occupation, sick humor. You said some things to other people in that topic that outrank mine, PAL! You just happened to get it, because you hit a REAL sore subject with me. You say every story has two sides, you shouldn't thought that when you made a comment about me from the word of a shister. Everything I said to you was because of your comment about me, I would never consider making a comment about someone I DIDN'T KNOW from heresay. You also said "I thought that might of been you" you ass, you made a judgement on someone who you weren't even sure it was the same person! You are a piece of work Chet, causing hate and discontent everywhere.
And don't give me that crap about woulda sympathized untill the job comment. You've proven a long time ago that you ain't man enough to let someone have their own opinion let alone to admit you might be wrong.
That's the way I READ it.
D Kid

Blown509Liberator
12-05-2001, 06:35 AM
DIS and MPF injection. Very cool. Who's fuel injection is that or I should ask who's computer? I had a Hirel (now its marine power) I had it for one season and I got sick of trying to get it to work right. It was a self learn system. It was to build its own fuel map. Start at idle and move it up 200 rpms hold them move it 200more...etc... The hard parts on the system where top notch, the computer suck. I sold it to a friend we put it on and used a Axcel computer that used a lap top to set up fuel map and it worked very well. It was a open loop batch fire system that had a ton of potential. How has the DIS coils and modules held up? Is it a stock Ford DIS system? Nice looking boat BTW.
MikeW

Dimarco Kid
12-05-2001, 02:54 PM
Chet,
I'm not wastin' any more space of Heavyhitters, so I'm wrapping my part up.
This is what you did. Put everything aside that "the man with the jetboat" said and realize that it has nothing to do with you, whether I'm at falt or not. You were a "bystander" to the whole thing. You weren't even sure it was me. You say you realize there's two sides to every story. And until this point you and I haven't said a degrading word towards each other. I actually think when I said "I never had a problem with Chet..... he's on my contacts list....." was probably the nicest thing ANYONE has ever said about you on this board. And still, on heresay, knowing the two sides, and not sure it was me, you defaced me to everyone who read that. Why would you do that? What did I do to you? I NEVER joined in on the "gangbanging" some of the guys do to you. I do admit I was out of line on your occupation, but imagine what you would say in your defense if I (not knowing you) defaced you. You'd be a little confused and probably pissed too.
That's the whole point to the story, you don't know that man, you say your not siding with him (but if you weren't you wouldn't of defaced me), and your calling it as you see it? Why should you call it? Why is it your place to say that about me?
My suggestion to you, stop and think about doing that to the next unexpecting person. You have to admit, you haven't got alot of bridges in here and you just burned another one. As you said earlier, "Sad but true"
My deal that I'm going to honor (even if you don't) I'll stay clear of you, you stay clear of me, and don't mention each others names again.
So long Chet,
D Kid

HBjet
12-05-2001, 03:59 PM
I used to work for the company that makes the stuffed animal crane machines. You know, the one's where you use the claw to grab the stuffed toy, but never win. I wasn't a repair man, I purchased everything it took to build the machine, or crane as we would call it. So Chet, we have something in common (oh my god)
HBjet

HeavyHitter
12-05-2001, 07:34 PM
It's an Electromotive system. They work well. I program them on the dyno. Not sure how Hirel ever thought a system could program itself without feedback?

ChetCapoli
12-06-2001, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Dimarco Kid:
Chet,
I'm not wastin' any more space of Heavyhitters, so I'm wrapping my part up.
This is what you did. Put everything aside that "the man with the jetboat" said and realize that it has nothing to do with you, whether I'm at falt or not. You were a "bystander" to the whole thing. You weren't even sure it was me.
That's the whole point to the story, you don't know that man, you say your not siding with him (but if you weren't you wouldn't of defaced me), and your calling it as you see it? Why should you call it? Why is it your place to say that about me?
My suggestion to you, stop and think about doing that to the next unexpecting person. You have to admit, you haven't got alot of bridges in here and you just burned another one. As you said earlier, "Sad but true"
D Kid
Ok d kid,
Actually i did know it was you, you were on here a while ago asking questions about the boat and you also posted a picture i think.( sorry if i didnt spell it out before) I wasnt guessing because i put two and two together. He mentioned some guy in maine and when i got on here the other day it clicked. As far as burning bridges, hey man this is the internet, if i wasnt here to spruce things up(being picked on or doing the picken) everybody would just know about one way to do things and one shop to do it with.(of course it's all been tried by the cheerleaders) All i say is there is alot of different things to try out there and you DONT or WONT know until you try it. For instance, my aluminum impeller has held up for me so far but i'm a "laughing stock" in here..why??? The cheerleaders and all their knowledge say you cant do it that's why. Well, i am living proof you can! Same motor this year and same impeller, i dont see any reason it wont go a third season do you? I'm sure if i come out of the water at 7000rpm and come back down it might be a problem. They are not indestructable! Besides i dont do that, better work on the driving technique if you do.This all started a long time ago by me saying "i bet if you check all those berk pumps they are not all berkeley inside" to some guys "90% of the pumps at the races are berkeley" quote. Whew! lookout!
I say i'm not siding with him?? Yes i did. I called it as i saw it i told you. I asked you why you wanted your deposit back if you still want to buy the boat?? That's what i said. As far as mentionioning you in particular...well, heavyhitter was talking about his delema about being "jerked around" on his boat and you are a fellow ***boater who is an example. Nobody can just say...sorry, i'm not interested. Everything is i'll think about it, talk to my wife, see if i can get the money..etc...etc.. or some "story". Well, if you story is legit which i'm assuming it is, your wife is doing well...so, why isnt the boat in your driveway???
Chet
P.S. the twizlers and pushrods was pretty funny i must say. Good one http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Dimarco Kid
12-06-2001, 01:20 PM
I would also like to know why the boat isn't in my driveway! Being a man that runs a business I take precautions, I recorded all his phone calls and documented all the times I've tried to reach him. 33 times to be exact, I know he has caller ID (cause he always answered with my name) and out of those 33 times (4 being e-mails to his son) I got his wife once and she said he was busy. I don't know if he thinks I'm lookin' for my money or what, but I've given up and realized I took a loss. So, I think that answers your question about why I haven't got the boat. Thought I made it clear earlier.
So long,
D Kid

HBjet
12-06-2001, 01:48 PM
Yeah, an aluminum impeller will hold up on 700hp motor at any rpm Chet, that is when it's just like your boat, out of the water all the time sitting upside down trying to get that hook out. Man, still working on that thing huh? By the way, I notice you always ask people what kind of boat they have, power, pump, etc. And they tell you, and even put up pictures. Well, I bet I'm not the only one who would like to see a picture of your, even if it is upside down, not to many paople get to see the bottom of a working boat. Yours is working isn't it? While your at it, take a few of that pump for us also. Thanks Chet. Can't wait to see. If you need help posting let me know.
HBjet

ChetCapoli
12-06-2001, 08:57 PM
sure hbjet, if your not BS'in me your on! I can send a few pictures i think cuz i cant figure out how to get them here to save my a$$ or i would have done it a while ago. No tricks with the photos now right? All on the level? Never know, you might get that donkey to drive it!Like i said, i'm game. Oh yea, it is ALOT of work and no i'm not done. I recommend alot of patience while taking on a job like this. If you dont have patience, leave it for someone else because it will drive you nuts. If i had to do it over, i would have bought another boat.
BTW, d kid,
i dont know what else to say other than these are two conflicting stories to say the least. I can pass the word thru the grapevine for ya if you wish, might take a few days though. Frankly i cant see why he would refuse to sell the boat to you.
Chet

DEL51
12-07-2001, 01:58 AM
Heavy hitter,I have a theory about this.Most people do not realize how much power a jet boat can consume.They begin with an engine that could make a street/strip car run 11's in the quarter and find out their boat can only run low 80's at best.then they try new cams,carbs,heads,etc. these proven automotive tricks net maybe 5 more mph.Then they start to realize it takes drastic changes to see improvement,i.e.nitous,turbo,blower.This prior knowledge is called the hardway"my way".I wish I had the foresight to get an engine like yours from the beginning.I wold have saved thousands of dollars.They think 400 horse in a car goes 100 so in a boat,...

Dimarco Kid
12-07-2001, 03:11 AM
Make no difference Chet, If I ever did speak to him I probably would tell him where the bear shit in the buckwheat which wouldn't help buying the boat. I don't need the hassel anymore and WAS over it till you came along! LOL The last time I tried to contact him was over 2 months ago, so I'm moving on. I don't want to deal with anybody of his nature anymore. Would love to have his boat, but there's others and now that winter has set in (our original dealin' was early last summer) I'm gonna look for something in the spring, I guess. Thanks anyways,
D Kid
P.S. He never did actually "refuse" to sell the boat. He just NEVER called me back after messages I had left. That's why is so fu**in bizarre to me. He never talked to me after the day my wife had her accident. He must have his own idea in his head, and it don't include me!
[This message has been edited by Dimarco Kid (edited December 07, 2001).]