PDA

View Full Version : Documentation???

JGMACHINE
12-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Ok I had a 22 ft boat and I just bought the 31 ft IMP and was told I do not register the boat, I document it. I was also told I don't pay the tax on the purchase, I pay a fee.
Who can tell me more on this?

Havasu Hangin'
12-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Boatcop is the expert.
If you document a vessel, you are basically registering it with the government (instead of a state) with a home port. You'll need a name and home port on the vessel, as well as a plaque with the numbers permanantly affixed.
I don't know much about NY state tax laws, or what implication documenting a vessel will have over registering it.
Once again, Boatcop can help more than I can.

Boatcop
12-14-2004, 07:05 PM
You can choose to Document it, rather that register it with the state, if you desire. Depending on how New York's laws are, you may still be liable for personal property or luxury taxes, whichever way you go. Any sales tax would also be owed.
Documentation has it's advantages, but it also has it's downfalls.
The initial Documentation and associated fess are pretty steep, but there's no fee for renewal. Some states also require registration (but not numbering) of Documented vessels.
A Documented vessel becomes a vessel of the US Government. Which means that it is treated as sovereign property of the US, which prevents boarding by foreign authorities, unless permission is obtained from the US State Department. It also is a safe haven in foreign ports, same as a US Consulate or Embassy would be.
However, the vessel may be boarded and inspected at any time and any where by US Authorities. It may also be comandeered and operated by the Coast Guard or other US Agency with no rent or royalty to you, if a bonafide emergency has been declared by Congress or the President.
Here's the Coast Guard website on Vessel Documentation (http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm). Make sure you read up on it, and understand what it entails. Also contact your tax assessor and Motor Vehicle Department (or whoever registers boats in NY) and decide for yourself if it would be beneficial to your situation.
If you do decide to Document it, the website above show you how to do it yourself. Stay away from the Vessel Documentation Services who'll charge sometimes over a Thousand Bucks for something that's very easy and painless to do yourself for often less than $200.

JGMACHINE
12-14-2004, 07:14 PM
when I bought the boat, it came with documention. I signed the transfer of ownership on the back of it. Does that mean the hard part is already over???
Thanks for your help...

Dr. Eagle
12-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Documents........... we dont need no stinking DOCUMENTS!!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
12-14-2004, 07:17 PM
when I bought the boat, it came with documention. I signed the transfer of ownership on the back of it. Does that mean the hard part is already over???
Thanks for your help...
When I bought my boat, it was documented. I was told that documentation cannot be transferred- you must apply as the new owner.

Boatcop
12-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your help...
It may get harder. Since ownership has changed, you now must apply for the Documentation yourself. Documentation is VOID once the documented owner sells the boat. The web site has the forms you need to document it in your name. You may change the official name and hailing port, if you wish, although the official documentation number (Which should be marked on the inside of the vessel) will remain with that boat forever.
Chances are that the previous owner did not properly mark the number on the inside, as required. Very few people do.
Your best bet would be to call the Documentation center, tell them your situation, and they'll walk you through it.

Dr. Eagle
12-14-2004, 07:37 PM
What's up with the new Avatar... Merlin?

Trigger
12-15-2004, 09:40 AM
If the Boat has been documented before you just have to transfer the documentation to your name. There is a fee for this (there are companies that will do all the work for you for $300-$500). You must comply with the regulations (numbers in engine compartment name, name and home port). Beinb in NY you still have to register your boat like you would with out it being documented. You will use your documentation papers to do this as you do not have a title. You also must pay NY state sales tax. Hope this helps.

Trigger
12-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Being in NY it is of no help for the boat to be documented. It was at one time great for states that did not make you have to register or pay sales tax, but hose are dissapearing. You can have you boat undocumented for like $100 and then you would just have to worry about keeping it registered. A boat that is documented can be taken by the good ol USA during war time if needed for service in the war.

Boatcop
12-15-2004, 11:00 AM
What's up with the new Avatar... Merlin?
Apparently you're not a Monty Python/Holy Grail Fan.
For that, you must now cut down the mightiest tree in the forest, with......
.....a HERRING!

joeygo
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
what is your favorite color?How many sparrows does it take to carry a 3 lb coconut?