PDA

View Full Version : Suspect Main Bearing Failure

Hallett19
12-14-2004, 07:59 PM
My girlfriend has a 3.8 V6 in her mustang, which is the first problem, the second problem is, when she starts it up, there is a loud grinding sound coming from under the car. Its a 5 spd and it does it with the clutch in and out, eliminating the throw out bearing and main shaft bearing on the trans... I think. What I think is happening is the the main bearings are not getting oil off start-up and are grinding up real bad. Her father seems to think its the air conditioning, however when I pop the hood and start the car, you can't hear anything from the front of the car, only under it.
So my question is, does anything think I am right on with my prognosis, and to show my g/f's dad he doesnt know what the f is going on, is it terribly bad for a car to be turned on and off with the A/C on (his theory why its making that sound) ? I have a friend who leaves his A/C on from the day he buys the car to the day he sells it and has never had a problem like this. Thanks guys ! :cool:

GofastRacer
12-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Does this sound go away after it's running or is it continuous???, if you didn't have adequate oiling at start up you would hear the lifters clatter. If the mains are shot you won't here a grinding sound!. Is the starter hanging up???????

shadow
12-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Remove the serpentine belt and start it if the noise is still present you just eliminated the a/c.
doesn't sound like a main bearing noise if it goes away.
Check the exhaust system.they are notorious at cold start for making noise.
next smack the cat converter with a rubber mallet see if the converter is coming apart on the inside.
But what do i know i only work on Fords everyday.

shadow
12-15-2004, 08:01 AM
One other thing you may want to check.
check the motor mounts if they are weak or worn out the exhaust may be grounding out against the frame.

Lake Ape
12-15-2004, 08:28 AM
I checked with my buddy, he's a service manager at Earnhardt Ford here in AZ, and he says that in older cars having the A/C on while starting the car would over load the buses, whatever they are, since both the starter and A/C units would be drawing a lot of amperage at the same time, both working against one another. He said this hasn't been the case for some time since there is an interrupt for the A/C when starting your car. He also says that he doubts that it's a main bearing since it stops. He says if the bearings were grinding it wouldn't stop and would keep up since you would most likely be doing severe damage in the begining. He said to check the inspection cover on the trans housing, sometimes they come loos and one of the mounting ears grinds on the flywheel and makes a really bad noise until it moves.
He said that you can call him if you want....480-838-4442 his name is scott.

Hallett19
12-15-2004, 08:43 AM
DAMN you guys are helpful ! The sound does go away, and th oil pressure jumps up real fast on start up, so I guess I can elimnate my theory. I like the exhaust theory, what in there makes noise that would go away after about 10 seconds off start-up though ?
The car has 115k miles on it, so it's no spring chicken, but the noise just started happening in the last month or so. She says she can also hear it after a long drive on the freeway (La Canada to Northridge) when she gets off, it makes that same grinding sound.
But I'm telling you, it comes from under the car, right in the back of the motor, so tranny and exhaust are right there. It happens almost every time you start the car up if it sits for more than an hour maybe when its hot, and every time you start it consecutivley when its cold. Thanks again guys, you rock, I really want this fixed so she will stop bugging me to drive my car !!! :D

Squirtin Thunder
12-15-2004, 08:49 AM
My girlfriend has a 3.8 V6 in her mustang, which is the first problem, the second problem is, when she starts it up, there is a loud grinding sound coming from under the car. Its a 5 spd and it does it with the clutch in and out, eliminating the throw out bearing and main shaft bearing on the trans... I think. What I think is happening is the the main bearings are not getting oil off start-up and are grinding up real bad. Her father seems to think its the air conditioning, however when I pop the hood and start the car, you can't hear anything from the front of the car, only under it.
So my question is, does anything think I am right on with my prognosis, and to show my g/f's dad he doesnt know what the f is going on, is it terribly bad for a car to be turned on and off with the A/C on (his theory why its making that sound) ? I have a friend who leaves his A/C on from the day he buys the car to the day he sells it and has never had a problem like this. Thanks guys ! :cool:
Pilot shaft bearing !!!
In those they run a real sealed bearing and it can go bad.
It does not hurt it to leave the A/C on it is just harder on the battery.
un plug the A/C and start it.
It may just be the ideler pully. Mine is going bad and makes a real nasty sound.
Also the throw out bearing can be bad even if old school test shows it not to be cause.
Engine main bearings no !!!!
Jim

Moneypitt
12-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Since this thing is a stick, bump start it cold. If it still makes the noise you can eliminate the starter staying engaged..............MP

Hallett19
12-15-2004, 09:21 AM
The sound is not coming from the front of the motor, so I think I can eliminate the accesory drive. I will bump start it though to elimnate the starter.
How can I find out if its the exhaust though ? Hammer the cat while its started, see if it stops ?

Havasu Hangin'
12-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Pilot shaft bearing !!!
Agreed. I had a car that did that one time (but not a Ford), and it was as you described.
If we starting a pool...I'll put $10 on the pilot shaft bearing.
:D

shadow
12-15-2004, 09:36 AM
The sound is not coming from the front of the motor, so I think I can eliminate the accesory drive. I will bump start it though to elimnate the starter.
How can I find out if its the exhaust though ? Hammer the cat while its started, see if it stops ?
What happens with the exhaust is it grounds against the frame when the engine is torqued at start up.put the engine in gear and power brake it in 1st then in reverse.see if the engine moves alot from right to left.thats an easy way to check the mounts.
Can you pull it alittle closer to the computer so we can see it better? :mix:

Moneypitt
12-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Do you mean rubbing the frame? Either way that wouldn't be a grinding noise. There could be something loose in the exhaust system but again, thats not going to be a grinding noise. Would a bad pilot bearing stop making noise? To eliminate the trany bearings the trans has to be in gear, that stops the internal shafts from turning with the clutch in. In neutral, the insides are still moving/grinding if that were the problem. I think Art hit it with the starter........MP

78Eliminator
12-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Hallet, the way you go through girlfriends, why do you want to waste your time wrenching on her car??? ;) :D :D

shadow
12-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Do you mean rubbing the frame? Either way that wouldn't be a grinding noise. There could be something loose in the exhaust system but again, thats not going to be a grinding noise. Would a bad pilot bearing stop making noise? To eliminate the trany bearings the trans has to be in gear, that stops the internal shafts from turning with the clutch in. In neutral, the insides are still moving/grinding if that were the problem. I think Art hit it with the starter........MP
Grumbling noise more than grinding,but yes it's very common,see it all the time.
Pilot bearing may also make a grinding but more of a metalic squeek,pilot bearing could make noise on start up since the pilot bearing is spinning around the input shaft,Yes the the pilot bearing turns with the flywheel.

Hallett19
12-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Hallet, the way you go through girlfriends, why do you want to waste your time wrenching on her car??? ;) :D :D
Hey, I resent that...... :D
That was "the person formerly known as Aaron", I've turned a new page in my life ;)
Now I'm starting to think its a pilot bearing.

Oldsquirt
12-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Now I'm starting to think its a pilot bearing.
Not if the noise is there with the clutch engaged. Pilot only spins with the clutch disengaged, when the flywheel and input shaft of trans are rotating at different speeds.
Do not discount the possibility of a bad throwout bearing. Although there should be no contact between bearing and pressure plate fingers in the clutch engaged position, a combination of a worn clutch (115k miles???) and a poorly operating self-adjuster on the clutch release(that still use one of those cable set-ups?) could be holding the realease bearing in contact with the pressure plate fingers. Noise would probably change pitch between the engaged and disengaged positions, however.
Put that thing up on stands and get under it with a mechanics stethescope. It'll make it a lot easier to locate and save a lot of time and guesswork.

Liberator TJ1984
12-15-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm with Oldsquirt.....
My V-10 5spd. Ford has the Main input shaft going out. it rattles like the throwout brg. is bad so I replaced clutch and brg...still made noise...took it to Ford .......Shaft brg trashed....drained tranny and filled with Lucas 140wt
On The Road Again.................................... :D
at least for a while :jawdrop: 175,000 miles let it eat :D

Rexone
12-15-2004, 01:10 PM
My guess is throwout bearing as well. If it was the mains the rods would be out the side by now or would be locked up. And Art is absolutely right the lifters would rattle severely.

wsuwrhr
12-15-2004, 01:46 PM
What I can't figure out is, is this YOUR car, cause if it isn't, why is it your problem?
haha
Just kidding.
Tom Leykis would never approve.
Your problems would be solved if it wasn't a Ford.
Brian
Glad I could help you out. :messedup:

Hallett19
12-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Tom wouldnt approve if I was throwing money at it like it was my problem, but he would definitley be telling me to worry about my own damn self.... I hate being nice :notam:

rrrr
12-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Tell her to turn up the radio until the noise goes away.

Hallett19
12-15-2004, 02:38 PM
come on, thats too easy.

wsuwrhr
12-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Tom wouldnt approve if I was throwing money at it like it was my problem, but he would definitley be telling me to worry about my own damn self.... I hate being nice :notam:
I was just givin your shit.
Don't take me too seriously.
Brian

Lightning
12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Erin,
Definately sounds like there is a problem....more importantly - got any pics of you lady?

Hallett19
12-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Alright Ari, I couldnt find any ***boat PC pictures (bathing suits/low cut tops/topless.... etc.) of her on here, most are on my laptop, but here are some from halloween.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DSCN4057-med.JPG
and most importantly, the bottom shot, her and her sister.... yeah, the benefit of being short on that night would have been quite beneficial...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DSCN4062.JPG
and being a nerd
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/128DSCN4005.JPG

wsuwrhr
12-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Hallet19
Let me know idf you need any help working on the car.... :eek: :eek:
Brian

Wet Dream
12-16-2004, 07:46 AM
No shit, I'd be working on it too. :D And mowing the lawn, doing dishes, etc.

Hallett19
12-16-2004, 08:38 AM
No shit, I'd be working on it too. :D And mowing the lawn, doing dishes, etc.
That is all nice stuff and everything Bill, but remember that old saying ..... "for every hot chick, there is a dude that is sick of her shit" :cool:
How ya been man, long time not talk !!! Hope all is well !! :smile:

78Eliminator
12-16-2004, 08:42 AM
That is all nice stuff and everything Bill, but remember that old saying ..... "for every hot chick, there is a dude that is sick of her shit" :cool:
How ya been man, long time not talk !!! Hope all is well !! :smile:
And if I know you, I am looking at my watch. I give you a few more hours, then you break up with her..... :p

Jordy
12-16-2004, 08:46 AM
And if I know you, I am looking at my watch. I give you a few more hours, then you break up with her..... :p
Uh-huh.
Was she the girl that was with you and Jerry at OP6 this year? :D

Hallett19
12-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Was she the girl that was with you and Jerry at OP6 this year? :D
That would be her.....

Jordy
12-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Damn, that has to be some kind of a record. :D

78Eliminator
12-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Ur gonna get a social disease Aaron.....