PDA

View Full Version : Airbags

JEFF-N-MICHELLE
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Anybody have any idea what airbags with an on board compressor installed will cost.Another thing this set up has to be welded correct or is it bolt on cause if its bolt on a 12 pack and a nice day outta cover it.

Nubbs
12-15-2004, 07:11 AM
I don't know about cost, but Bell Tech and Firestone make air bag kits.
Bell Tech (http://www.belltechcorp.com/index.html)
Firestone (http://www.ride-rite.com/)

OGShocker
12-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Accessory House
5156 Holt Blvd.
Montclair, CA 91763 US
phone: (909) 621-5953
Call my buddy Cory and ask him. Tell him Mark with Dana sent you.

Mandelon
12-15-2004, 07:24 AM
I had a set put on my last F-250 to carry my over cab camper. It was a couple hundy labor $$ as I recall. Woked bitchen though, I could carry two yards of gravel in the back of that truck without a whimper. Pump the bags up to 100lbs. It ran rougher empty, so be prepared for your ride to suffer a little bit.

Tahiti350
12-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Have had airbags on my last 2 trucks, a '96 Chev Crew with full Belltech gear (should have kept it), and my current '93 Cummins Dodge. I won't own another heavy truck without them. Both actually ride better with a low (20-30 lbs precharge, takes some of the weight off the springs. As for loaded, I hauled a full cord of firewood from Tacoma to mid-state Oregon, actually over grossed the Dodge, scaled it at 10,780 after burning off 15 gallons of diesel. Inflated to about 75-80 lbs, the truck never bottomed out ,and the handling was no different than empty (but stopping took a little bit longer). I hauled a similar load in my old Dodge ('84 Crew) with no air bags, and it was a true white knuckle run, bottoming out, lean in the corners, and really light steering. I haven't installed the onboard compressor, but I have it out in the garage somewhere. I just need a little free time to install it.
For load capacity, remember that 75 psi on a 10 square inch surface is 750 lbs of lift per bag (1,500 lbs total). I have also seen a single bag set-up that used a transfer linkage from the central bag mounted where the spare would normally be, and a swaybar type lever arm. Used an industrial tractor air bag, about 12" diameter. King of cool, but I hate having to put the spare in the back of the truck.
GaryB> Tahiti350

Ziggy
12-15-2004, 10:36 AM
I have used the Firestone bags on both my last trucks---they work great. I only fill them to what I need at that moment and run them at 5-8lbs when unloaded so as not to effect the ride.

sigepmock
12-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Jeff,
I'm getting ready to install the Air Ride set in my 03 2500HD Chevy next weekend. I got the air bag set, on-board compressor, two gallon tank, and single guage system for $515 total. I think the bags were right at $200 and the compressor tank kit was $300 or so. The compressor tank kit I got gives me an Aux port so I can air tires,etc right from the truck that's why it a little pricey. Everything bolts in and no welding required. Let me know if you're interested I'll PM my buddies shop number and info.
Chris