PDA

View Full Version : Props

JB in so cal
12-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Ok. I know this has been (re)done about as much as Ford v. Chevy, but:
Magic Deck boat with stock 24' BRAVO 1 4 blade. WOT is about 4900-5000 and 69/70 on speedo. Any ideas on more top end without loosing too much hole shot? 3 blade 25?
Thanks,
JB

Charley
12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
has anyone tried 5 blades on a magic?

Bre
12-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Time for more hp. Nothing else you can do.

hot_diggity_dog
12-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Ok. I know this has been (re)done about as much as Ford v. Chevy, but:
Magic Deck boat with stock 24' BRAVO 1 4 blade. WOT is about 4900-5000 and 69/70 on speedo. Any ideas on more top end without loosing too much hole shot? 3 blade 25?
Thanks,
JB
Go with a labbed 26P 4 blade. ;)
HDD :D

phebus
12-15-2004, 01:39 PM
You can spend a fortune on props, but that combination has been the most used application going for a 28 deck with the 496HO. In my opinion you would be wasting a lot of money to gain at most 1-2 mph.

mbrown2
12-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Any ideas on more top end without loosing too much hole shot? 3 blade 25?
Thanks,
JB
Retard your speedo by increasing it by about 5mph and call it good.. :rollside:

phebus
12-15-2004, 02:22 PM
If you are propped right to start with, the only reason you will pick up a little speed with a new prop is due to the lighter load with an empty wallet.

JB in so cal
12-15-2004, 03:42 PM
If you are propped right to start with, the only reason you will pick up a little speed with a new prop is due to the lighter load with an empty wallet.
I guess I can't add that thru hull exhaust for an extra 3 to 5 mph...LOL

hot_diggity_dog
12-15-2004, 03:53 PM
When you increase the prop size you usualy loose RPM's. With a labbed prop the blades are thinner, balanced and you can gain more MPH and keep about or near the same RPM's. :wink: :2purples:
Prop changes are the best method of increasing top end MPH for the dollar. :hammerhea :D
Just my .02
HDD :cool:

phebus
12-15-2004, 04:30 PM
When you increase the prop size you usualy loose RPM's. With a labbed prop the blades are thinner, balanced and you can gain more MPH and keep about or near the same RPM's. :wink: :2purples:
Prop changes are the best method of increasing top end MPH for the dollar. :hammerhea :D
Just my .02
HDD :cool:
I agree, getting the proper size and pitch prop is the best bang for the buck, but going with a labbed prop is a gamble for the money spent. I would think that for the little speed gain vs. the more fragile prop on a non high performance application when you don't need to squeeze the last possible bit of speed is not worth the money spent.
I have a similar set up (deck boat with 496HO), and borrowed a 26p labbed Bravo 1 (by Mercury) from a friend, and gained approx 1 mph while running at the same rpm vs my standard 24p Bravo 1.
I know different applications will vary, but the fact is on a deck boat running a 496HO, you aren't going to see a significant change.

JB in so cal
12-15-2004, 05:20 PM
I agree, getting the proper size and pitch prop is the best bang for the buck, but going with a labbed prop is a gamble for the money spent. I would think that for the little speed gain vs. the more fragile prop on a non high performance application when you don't need to squeeze the last possible bit of speed is not worth the money spent.
I have a similar set up (deck boat with 496HO), and borrowed a 26p labbed Bravo 1 (by Mercury) from a friend, and gained approx 1 mph while running at the same rpm vs my standard 24p Bravo 1.
I know different applications will vary, but the fact is on a deck boat running a 496HO, you aren't going to see a significant change.
Maybe I can do a second set of thru hull exh... Oh never mind!!!