PDA

View Full Version : Jet glue and exhaust measurements

Mighty Thor
12-15-2004, 02:01 PM
I am getting ready to mount my pump on the CVX 20 and having read the messages in this forum I called Rex Marine to ask about the proper adhesive to use. The previous owner had used White RTV. The guy at Rex said that they didn't specifically have anything to mount the pump, but that Marine epoxy could be used to fill any gaps or spaces after the pump was mounted. He also said that they use clear silicon. Before placing an order for anything I decided I had better get more info. On my hull there was still some leftover traces of the origiinal white mounting substance which was not hard like epoxy but not soft like RTV.
Obviously RTV will seal the pump to the hull, but is it necessary for there to be some sort of adhisive at this spot? If so, is there a particular brand name or part number I should be searching for?
I also would like to order flexible exhaust tubing at the same time to save shipping cost. I don't have any old pipes to measure and have never had the engine in the boat. (it was loose between the front seats when I got the boat) Does anyone know how long each segment needs to be on my stock 76 CVX 20 with Ford 460? I am hoping to avoid having to place the engine then measure then order.

Oldsquirt
12-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Use the "Sea-goin Poxy putty" sold by Rex. It needs to be applied to the suction housing prior to installation. I would suggest you talk to Duane at Hi-Tech about the installation procedure.

Mighty Thor
12-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Use the "Sea-goin Poxy putty" sold by Rex. It needs to be applied to the suction housing prior to installation. I would suggest you talk to Duane at Hi-Tech about the installation procedure.
Do you think this is the same stuff that the salesperson at Rex menitioned? He said that the epoxy he was talking about would need to be sanded and the stuff on my boat was to pliable to be sanded. The word Putty seems to imply flexible and thus not really sandable.

OkieDave
12-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Are you talking about mounting the pump to the intake or mounting the intake in the hull? or is it the insert type pump?

1978 Rogers
12-15-2004, 03:10 PM
You use the epoxy to seal the intake in the bottom of the hull. You use silicone on both sides of the gasket for the transom adaptor.

Mighty Thor
12-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Are you talking about mounting the pump to the intake or mounting the intake in the hull? or is it the insert type pump?
Sorry, I should have stated. This is a Berkeley JE, which I believe is an insert type pump so the intake is part of the pump and is not a seperate piece. the rock grate bolts to a plate that is forward of the intake and that piece has not been removed from my hull.

moneysucker
12-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Marine tex is alzo annother brand you can use. Mask the intake where you don't want epoxy. The epoxy is like bondo. Tape the hull around where the pump inserts to the hull, you will want at least 1/2 " away from the pump. spread the putty in the gap between the housing and hull. The sanding part is when you are on the bottom just to smoothe around the suction piece.

PC Rat
12-15-2004, 07:50 PM
There is some stuff around my intake that looks like it was used just as an additional sealant on the bilge surface (I don't think the intake was actually set with it) that is gray in color and slightly pliable.
Anyone know what it is?
Brian

steelcomp
12-15-2004, 08:06 PM
There is some stuff around my intake that looks like it was used just as an additional sealant on the bilge surface (I don't think the intake was actually set with it) that is gray in color and slightly pliable.
Anyone know what it is?
Brian
Gray sealant stuff. The slightly pliable type. :D :lightsabe :cool:

Fogged Gullwing
12-15-2004, 08:13 PM
If your not talking about sealing the intake Clear silicone will do! If your talking about the pump and the transom it will be fine. If you polished the transom plate silicon the inside also!!!
Hope this helps BK

Mighty Thor
12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Guess I will go with silicon RTV.

Oldsquirt
12-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Thor, I think most of these guys are not clear on what you are doing. The Insert pumps were epoxied into the hulls. As I said before, contact Duane at Hi-Tech Performance for details on the installation of your pump. RTV is what guys with "standard" pumps use to seal transom plates/transom adapters.

Aaron C
12-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Thor,
I have the exact same boat set up as you. I know what you are talking about the white pliable putty between the pump intake and boat. I have never taken mine out so I dont know what to use to seal it. But the poxy putty seems like the best bet. As for the exaust hose, I might be able to help you out with that. I think I still have one from when I took the boat apart. I will look when I get back to my house next week and try to give you a measurement. My boat was comletely assembled when I got it (except it had no floor) so the measurements should fit your application as well.
Aaron C