PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed in Eliminator

RiverRat177
12-16-2004, 08:01 AM
So I was cruising down the parker strip one day in mild / medium chop and out of the corner of my eye I notice water rapidly rushing up by my left foot (no I didnÂ’t hit anything). I turn around only to see the blower belt chucking water about 15 feet in the air. So, being the genius I am, I immediately aim my boat at the closest beach and goose it. Meanwhile my 1980 21 foot Eliminator is sinking very quickly so as soon as I was close enough I shut it down in order to not hurt the newly rebuilt (and dialed in - finally) blown 468. My cousin and I hopped out and pulled the boat up as high as we could, and there it sat on the rudder and prop - half sunk. I sat there and looked at my project which I had dumped tons of money into in dismay (yes the bilge plug was in). So after the better part of a day and a few hundred dollars to get a salvage guy to bring his airbags out and float me to the nearest ramp I get my boat drained and back on the trailer. I took a look under the driversÂ’ side and I see that the hull has been peeled like a banana from about where your feet would be in the drivers seat all the way to the back. So it seems my hull has delaminated after years of use.
So my question is - What happened? I sent a message with pictures to Bob Leach over at Eliminator asking out of curiosity what had happened and is such a thing repairable (Well my old man wrote the letter so it may have come across a bit feistier than that). We didnÂ’t get any positive response at all. More like a big F-you, too bad. Now I have been an Eliminator fan my whole life, have gone to the regattas and such, but this has changed my opinion drastically. I really just would like to hear some insight on what caused the hull to tear apart like that. ItÂ’s just disappointing that a company like Eliminator couldnÂ’t make the effort to look at the boat and talk with an owner about what happened and how to resolve the problem. So there it is, if anyone has any thoughts on why this happened or can suggest a good repair facility that would touch it, let me know.
Some of you may recognize the boat, it has made quite a few Parker and Havasu trips since we bought it new in 1980. I am only 3 years older than the boat and have grown up with it. My dad gave up on it at some point and I took over the charge. It was very sad to see it sitting there with waves crashing over the transom - I never thought I would see the day.
Check out the pictures below.

78Eliminator
12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Oh man!!!!! I am really sorry to hear that. Did you get the motor dried out as soon as you got it out of the water?

Jordy
12-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but the boat is almost 25 years old. What do you expect the guys at Eliminator to do? Warranty it? Seems to me that, while it's a bad situation and totally sucks, 25 years of service is pretty good, especially considering some of the poundings a boat takes.
Personally, I'd talk to Todd (toddnjuzz on the boards and I belive his company is TRG Fiberglass) and have him take a look at it. He's the local glass guru and I would think he would be able to get it going or at least point you in the right direction.
Good luck with it and keep us posted. :cool:

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2004, 09:00 AM
I am not sure that there is alot that can be done !!!
If you have any chance in saving it Todd would be the man on this !!!
Jim
TRG Fiberglass
626-991-9031

RiverRat177
12-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Yes I tore the engine down to a bare block and it WAS full of water but I got it drained and dried out and it is fine.
I do not expect Eliminator to warranty an old hull - I am not looking for freebies. Being an engineer, my curiousity of why the hull delaminated drives me to look for answers. I do expect them to at least give me an idea why this happened, and maybe thoughts on repair, not just a big middle finger.

lucky
12-16-2004, 09:13 AM
a badly chipped chinn or check your trailer maybe somting came up threw the bunk and poked a lil something somthing into the glass - that deal blows dude nice boat -

Lake Ape
12-16-2004, 09:25 AM
I am surprised that they wouldn't even call or write you back. Seems like a great sales opprotunity to me. Here you have this guy who has a boat for 25 years who has spent a lot of money pimping it out, seems to me that I would be all over the guy trying to help him out and then sell him another boat. In new home construction we do this sort of thing all the time and it's almost always good for either a remodel/repair referral or even a total new build.

superdave013
12-16-2004, 09:33 AM
(Well my old man wrote the letter so it may have come across a bit feistier than that).
Maybe the tone of that letter is why you are not getting the response you're looking for. :idea:

Jordy
12-16-2004, 09:42 AM
I have read so many of your posts jordanpaulk, and I am
amazed at the fact that someone hasn't dropped kicked you
yet.
Anytime you start feeling froggy go ahead and jump. :notam:
You notice that I also offered a suggestion for how to get his boat fixed. The lack of reading comprehension on this board just baffles me. I like how you just quoted that part of it.
Hell, most of the boat manufacturers out there these days are about selling a boat. Good luck getting help on a boat that is 3 years old, much less 25. That was the point I was making. Not to mention, you don't see Eliminator, or anyone else for that matter, building a whole lot of 21' cruisers these days. The boating demographic has changed. Now it's about 25'+ I/O's.
As I pointed out, I didn't just leave it at that comment. I offered a solution to the problem. Do you honestly expect Bob Leach to offer suggestions or causes on what happened to cause delamination with a 25 year old boat??? Lots and lots of variables can play into that. As far as the lame comments about boats getting pounded over 25 years of service? If that wasn't the case, wouldn't the market be flooded with old, old boats??? Not everyone babies their stuff and a boat certainly takes a hell of alot of pounding out on the water, even if you baby it, that is, unless you only run it on glass.
Thanks for your input though. :rolleyes:

waterwitch
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Anytime you start feeling froggy go ahead and jump. :notam:
Thanks for your input though. :rolleyes:
Not a problem. Anytime you want me to check
your attitude, just let me know.
RIBBIT!!RIBITT!!
Sincerely
TRACI!!

Jordy
12-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Nowhere on there is RiverRat asking Eliminator to warranty
the boat. Why would you even say such an stupid thing?
Look at the title of the thread. "Very dissapointed in Eliminator." Sounds like he's got an issue with them because of a problem with his 25 year old boat to me. Yeah, the lack of response sucks, but as I asked in my first post in this thread, what doe he expect them to do??????
Perhaps if a different approach was taken, such as "Hey check out what happened to my boat, what should I do?" then different responses might be elicited. This seems as somewhat of an attack thread on Eliminator that really isn't called for. Hell, I'm not a big fan of Eliminator, but the way this title is worded just isn't right.

taxman
12-16-2004, 10:07 AM
The guy just lost his rig!!!!!!! He is venting jordanPunk!!!! Talk to a woman that way and for sure you just might be on the end of a good ass kicking :jawdrop:

Moneypitt
12-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey, stuff happens. At least its not bumping along the bottom in the current headed down river. A lesser boat may have just sunk on the spot, consider yourself lucky to get to the beach. Which was a heads up thing to do and I'm sure your quick reaction to a bad situation kept it from being alot worse. Didn't Ducky here on the board just open a fiberglass shop in Havasu? give him a call, and move on towards summer...................MP

Jordy
12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
The guy just lost his rig!!!!!!! He is venting jordanPunk!!!! Talk to a woman that way and for sure you just might be on the end of a good ass kicking :jawdrop:
I understand that he lost his rig. I also gave suggestions of who to talk to. Starting a thread about being "DISAPPOINTED IN ELIMINATOR" seems a little misleading. What did they do wrong?
As far as talking to a woman that way, I didn't realize that it was Traci typing, however, if you read what I was responding to I don't think it was out of line.
I don't know why I even bother sometimes.
You know what dude, sorry about your boat. Hell, I think I'd sue Eliminator. Oh yeah, don't call any fiberglass shops. That was bad advice on my part. :D

Squirtin Thunder
12-16-2004, 10:33 AM
As I pointed out, I didn't just leave it at that comment. I offered a solution to the problem. Do you honestly expect Bob Leach to offer suggestions on what happened with a 25 year old boat??? Lots and lots of variables can play into that. As far as the lame comments about boats getting pounded over 25 years of service? If that wasn't the case, wouldn't the market be flooded with old, old boats??? Not everyone babies their stuff and a boat certainly takes a hell of alot of pounding out on the water, even if you baby it, that is, unless you only run it on glass.
I understand some of what you have said but I would expect BOB to maybe help a little. I would if it was my project. I know JOHN (Ultra) would at least offer some guideness on the repair at the very least.
There is no need to get nasty over this the worst part is the boat is screwed, lets get it fixed !!!! If possible
JIm

1Bahnerjet
12-16-2004, 11:12 AM
What would Schiada do ?
(if it happened to one of their "lifetime" Boats)

spectras only
12-16-2004, 11:37 AM
What would spectra do ? Oh never mind ,they're out of biz since 1980 :p . Good thing spectras don't delaminate , my oldest one is 32 yrs young :cool: . BTW I'm a crusty curmudgeon ,so I always ask my executive secretary [ wife :wink: ]to write letters when I want something done about :idea:

superdave013
12-16-2004, 11:55 AM
What would Schiada do ?
(if it happened to one of their "lifetime" Boats)
I think they would tell you that you got your money's worth and give you a quote on a new hull.

Lake Ape
12-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Just curious, once again I don't know shiat about boats, but is that what a normal delamination looks like? Shouldn't it be more jagged? I have seen lots of corvettes crashed up and they have jagged edges on the fiberglass. It looks to me that the fiber wasn't impregnated with resin. Just curious, once again I don't know squat about boats but it looks funny to me.

DUCKY
12-16-2004, 12:44 PM
I agree that there would be no warranty claim here, I think a phone call from Eliminator would have been in order, and if I were them, The nastier the letter, the more anxious I would have been to at least call and let the owner vent for a little while before going public with his complaint. if he lives close, offer to have a look at the boat. Anyways, it sucks all around.

DUCKY
12-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Just curious, once again I don't know shiat about boats, but is that what a normal delamination looks like? Shouldn't it be more jagged? I have seen lots of corvettes crashed up and they have jagged edges on the fiberglass. It looks to me that the fiber wasn't impregnated with resin. Just curious, once again I don't know squat about boats but it looks funny to me.
That is classic delamination that started small. The force of the water under the boat ripped the gelcoat and layers of composite from the boat either where the seams are, or in the corners. The reason a 'vette looks different, is that they are a chopper gun layup, and they use no woven fabric (like a Bayliner), and yes, Corvettes are a dry layup to save weight and material.

superdave013
12-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Ok Ducky, Now that we all know you have been doing some nice glass work these days please do tell.....
Is something like that fixable?

Lake Ape
12-16-2004, 12:58 PM
That is classic delamination that started small. The force of the water under the boat ripped the gelcoat and layers of composite from the boat either where the seams are, or in the corners. The reason a 'vette looks different, is that they are a chopper gun layup, and they use no woven fabric (like a Bayliner), and yes, Corvettes are a dry layup to save weight and material.
Cool, thanks, I guess you learn something everyday!

mirvin
12-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Ok Ducky, Now that we all know you have been doing some nice glass work these days please do tell.....
I bet the answer to that will depend on what may have caused it......like maybe there's some wrotten wood somewhere close by:boxed:
mirvin :cool:

spectras only
12-16-2004, 02:14 PM
IMHO , that eliminator bottom wasn't beefy enough to stand the newly found power . There was a 24 Campbell in the late 70's ,the owner installed two 427's S/C [ca 2000HP] coupled together inline.Needless to say he ripped the stringers first time out :cry: . Reinforced the hull afterwards :wink:

Jake W2
12-16-2004, 04:04 PM
You can reglass anything the guestion is will it delam in a nother spot?I have been told by boat builders these boats get dried out and brittel.Then when you reglass it that spot is way stronger than the rest and the problem moves else where.Good luck on a fix for it.
Jake

DUCKY
12-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Well, It's an awefully deep subject....
From the pics, I would say it is, but without seeing the boat in person I can't say for sure. Then there is the cost issue. Depending on the length of the repair, and any other damage to the boat, it may be nearly equal in cost to replace the hull. Once again, I can't say without seeing it in person. I PM'd the owner, we'll see if he calls me. I'm sure Todd over at TRG could do it as well, and he may be closer. River Rat's profile doesn't say where he lives :D

coolchange
12-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Reminds me of my brother as he was backin our Dads big block Fury out of the garage. " I just put it in reverse and backed up 2 feet and the drive shaft fell out! No, really Dad! I DIDN"T DO ANYTHING, IT JUST FELL OUT! DAD! DAD!

Rexone
12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
(Well my old man wrote the letter so it may have come across a bit feistier than that).
Maybe the tone of that letter is why you are not getting the response you're looking for. :idea:
Funny I was thinking the same thing.
Nice request = nice response
Feisty request = probably not
just my .02

572Daytona
12-17-2004, 12:35 PM
The problem in today's society is that a company owner can't just offer his honest opinion without wondering if his words would be used against him in some sort of lawsuit. How does he know that you aren't some PI investigating an injury claim? I'm sure his lawyer would advise him not to make any comment.
I find it hard to believe that people are taking sides on this issue and jumping to conclusions without all of the facts/information. We have no idea what the original letter said. But I do agree that Eliminator is definitely less interested in talking to older jet/vdrive owners than pleasing their current megabuck 25+ foot i/o crowd. But I think the same could be said for a lot of boat manufactures nowadays.

kidstuf
12-17-2004, 12:35 PM
RiverRat177,
We did receive the certified letter from your father explaining what had happened. We felt as though it included several rather strong implications that you were seeking warranty of your hull, which I can include if you would like. Before we were able to decide how to respond to this letter, we received an additional letter from your father's attorney. Hopefully you can see how we felt a bit threatened by the way in which you approached us regarding this matter. If we at all misinterpreted your objectives, we apologize. Futher more, if you would like to give us a call we would be happy to speak with you about this matter and/or turn you on to someone who could assess and repair the damages.
Brandie Leach
951-681-1222

waterwitch
12-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Interesting that you never mentioned
the letter from the lawyer in your first
post Riverrat.
Don't make me have to applogize to
Jordan...Please.....

Rexone
12-17-2004, 02:01 PM
I do not expect Eliminator to warranty an old hull - I am not looking for freebies. Being an engineer, my curiousity of why the hull delaminated drives me to look for answers. I do expect them to at least give me an idea why this happened, and maybe thoughts on repair, not just a big middle finger.
Ya know as a business owner myself, I have to ask myself when I read this thread if what you say above is true then what would be the need for a certified letter or letter from an attorney including implications of warranty responsibility rather than a friendly phone call or friendly letter just asking why it happened or their thoughts on repair as you say you want above. It is obvious from this you are after something greater than what happened and advice on where or how to fix. I'm calling bullshit on this whole deal.
If I received your fiesty certified letter and letter from your attorney it would go straight to my attorney for evaluation before you received any response.
Misrepresentations of the chain of events and peoples real agendas are sometimes just amazing on this forum.

Lake Ape
12-17-2004, 02:08 PM
I would have just chucked it in the outfile (trash can!).

Jordy
12-17-2004, 03:51 PM
We felt as though it included several rather strong implications that you were seeking warranty of your hull, which I can include if you would like. Before we were able to decide how to respond to this letter, we received an additional letter from your father's attorney.
Wow, that's pretty interesting. Now who in this thread would have ever imagined something like that happening, especially based upon the title of the thread itself???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

schiada96
12-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I've got a question.How much hp was that boat certified for by the CG or did that not happen 25 years ago. And was it more than the builder intended. Shit even the titanic sunk. They don't last forever

coolchange
12-17-2004, 04:08 PM
And this years award goes to.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/369footinmouthtrophy.jpg

shadow
12-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing a copy of that certified letter. :idea: I can only imagine the content.If the letter was as decieving as this thread.Was the letter claiming that Eliminator is in any way liable for damages,or possible injuries caused by the damage. :confused: The boat is a quarter of a century old.To bad for the damage it sucks but take it and fix it or replace it don't try to blame Eliminator for a boat they made 24yrs ago.who knows what it's been through over the years.

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2004, 04:28 PM
RiverRat177,
We did receive the certified letter from your father explaining what had happened. We felt as though it included several rather strong implications that you were seeking warranty of your hull, which I can include if you would like. Before we were able to decide how to respond to this letter, we received an additional letter from your father's attorney. Hopefully you can see how we felt a bit threatened by the way in which you approached us regarding this matter. If we at all misinterpreted your objectives, we apologize. Futher more, if you would like to give us a call we would be happy to speak with you about this matter and/or turn you on to someone who could assess and repair the damages.
Brandie Leach
951-681-1222
Thank you for replying to this. To me it says alot being that the tread started the way it did. It is always better to know both sides of the story. You have treated me and my family with respect and hospitality in the past. That is why I stated that I found it hard to believe.
Thank you again for your reply
Jim

Jordy
12-17-2004, 07:04 PM
To bad for the damage it sucks but take it and fix it or replace it don't try to blame Eliminator for a boat they made 24yrs ago.who knows what it's been through over the years.
That sounds familiar too. Seems that someone else got flamed when they had the nerve to suggest that. Holy shnikes!!!! :D

Jordy
12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
The guy just lost his rig!!!!!!! He is venting jordanPunk!!!!
Looks like there is a little more to the story huh??? :jawdrop: :D

waterwitch
12-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Looks like there is a little more to the story huh??? :jawdrop: :D
:D

GofastRacer
12-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Well I guess I'll throw in my worthless .02 on this!. Any type of high performance boat needs a litle more attention than you're average ski boat. At high speeds all you need is the slightest nick on the bottom and the water can get in there and can rip it apart!. Anybody ever think to look at the bottom once in a while??..Just think of all the miles you put on it on the trailer, that's a lot of miles in 25yrs, think about all the shit on the road that gets thrown up, yeah the same shit that hits your winshield, how much of it hits the bottom of the boat!. Before I hit the water I always look under the boat to make sure it didn't get hit on the way, and when I take it out after running the shit out of it I look at it again just to make sure!..
BTW, mine is not a "Trailer Queen"!.. :D

canuck1
12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
this would be one of those You have got to be fu ckin kidding me things
having a lawyer send a letter to a manufacturer regarding a 25 YEAR OLD HULL

Shark In The Pond
12-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Interesting that you never mentioned
the letter from the lawyer in your first
post Riverrat.
Don't make me have to applogize to
Jordan...Please.....
Damn thats funny :D :D ....Always two sides of the story ?

Infomaniac
12-17-2004, 08:53 PM
I would be more inclined to ask the previous owners if they had any idea why it delamed. They might remember jumping that wake 12 years back and landing hard on the driver's side. Or showing off for the hotties on the beach popping wheelies one after the other. . or maybe even the time trailering it without stern straps and it jumping off the trailer 2 feet and making a perfect landing back on the bunks. Six times in a row on that bad road towing home after many brewskies LOL after actually looking at the pictures. The trailer bunk is right in the center of the damage man. Did you send a letter to the trailer mfg?
But Eliminator probably has records of all of that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

coolchange
12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
My favorite one is "The bunks always drip water for a while".
Geez, 2 weeks??!!
I am truly amazed at the number of people that have never seen the bottom of their boat.

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2004, 09:43 PM
My favorite one is "The bunks always drip water for a while".
Geez, 2 weeks??!!
I am truly amazed at the number of people that have never seen the bottom of their boat.
I tend to just lay under it and look and dream, or should I say invision what the water is doing.

Norseman
12-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Ya know as a business owner myself, I have to ask myself when I read this thread if what you say above is true then what would be the need for a certified letter or letter from an attorney including implications of warranty responsibility rather than a friendly phone call or friendly letter just asking why it happened or their thoughts on repair as you say you want above. It is obvious from this you are after something greater than what happened and advice on where or how to fix. I'm calling bullshit on this whole deal.
If I received your fiesty certified letter and letter from your attorney it would go straight to my attorney for evaluation before you received any response.
Misrepresentations of the chain of events and peoples real agendas are sometimes just amazing on this forum.
I agree, if you were looking for help or advise, you don't write threatning letters, and follow them up with a letter from an attorney.
When the boat was new I am sure it was sold with a warranty, but no way would than have been for 25 years.
If you want someone to help you, the best way is to ask for help, nicely .
If you threaten people you generally get the opposite responce.
Bob

Norseman
12-18-2004, 06:32 AM
RiverRat177,
Brandie Leach
951-681-1222
Riverrat;
Seems that there is something else going on here, or you and your father came on way to strong!!!
We haven't seen the letters, but judging by this responce , It looks like Eliminator is going out of thier way to help you.
If I had recieved this kind of letter from someone we sold a product or service to, I would have immediatly, turned it over to my lawyer, and referred all further correspondance to him. He loves handling this kind of BULLSHIT stuff, and as a Judge see's it all to frequently.
Bob

steelcomp
12-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Before we go jumping down Riverrat's throat here, lets look at this. RR posted this thread primarily to get info on what might have happened, and if it can be fixed. He only spent a couple of sentences talking about Eliminator and expressed his disappointment after not hearing back from them. Now remember, this is a fiarly young guy who, as a kid, grew up loving Eliminators. This was the FAMILTY boat that he grew up with and inherited from dad. They bought it new, and might have been the only boat they ever had. We all get emotional ties to stuff like that. His disappointment was based on thinking that, although it might have been a little "spirited" shal we say, dad sent a simple letter to Elim. wanting to know if there was something they could tell them about what might have happened, and how to possibly fix. Dad, on the other hand, had different ideas, and basically "went after" Eliminator. I'm wondering if, at the time Riverrat posted the thread, he even knew what dad had done. I'm wondering if Riverrat, after reading the response from Ms. Leach from Eliminator telling of the letter from dad's lawyer, hasn't tried to find a hole somewhere to crawl in and never come out of again, and wasn't slightly embarassed himself to find out what his dad had done.
Just a thought, since we haven't heard a squeak from RR since the beginning of this thread. :idea:

DaveA
12-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Before we go jumping down Riverrat's throat here, lets look at this. RR posted this thread primarily to get info on what might have happened, and if it can be fixed. He only spent a couple of sentences talking about Eliminator and expressed his disappointment after not hearing back from them. Now remember, this is a fiarly young guy who, as a kid, grew up loving Eliminators. This was the FAMILTY boat that he grew up with and inherited from dad. They bought it new, and might have been the only boat they ever had. We all get emotional ties to stuff like that. His disappointment was based on thinking that, although it might have been a little "spirited" shal we say, dad sent a simple letter to Elim. wanting to know if there was something they could tell them about what might have happened, and how to possibly fix. Dad, on the other hand, had different ideas, and basically "went after" Eliminator. I'm wondering if, at the time Riverrat posted the thread, he even knew what dad had done. I'm wondering if Riverrat, after reading the response from Ms. Leach from Eliminator telling of the letter from dad's lawyer, hasn't tried to find a hole somewhere to crawl in and never come out of again, and wasn't slightly embarassed himself to find out what his dad had done.
Just a thought, since we haven't heard a squeak from RR since the beginning of this thread. :idea:
Good point. Very well coulda happened as you stated, and if it did, imagine how this kid feels right about now. Ms Leach gave a very controlled response considering Pop's letter.
I know that with general aviation airplanes, the product liability cutoff is at 18 years after production. This was an absolute necessity considering the astronomical sums of $$ that were being claimed against the manufacturer as damages for some stupid pilot trick in a 30-40 year old airplane. Sure, more is at stake with an airplane considering they don't bounce too well when they hit, and the sudden stop is, well, Very Sudden.
Hopefully he can get this boat repaired so he can continue to enjoy the family heirloom for a few more years, and can come back around here so he can get some sound advice to keep it going.

RiverRat177
12-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Brandie & Steelcomp - Thanks for that..
Listen up here guys - my dad and I are very different people. The thing is it IS his boat and he ultimately decides what is done with it and how.
I knew he wrote a letter, the attorney thing is another issue. I did not know he went beyond his own words.
There is a simple issue at hand - I need to know if the hull can be reapired. If it can, I need to know if it is worth it, or if I should look for a new hull.
Aside from all the bickering I appreciate all the good info earlier on in the thread from Jordanpaulk, Squirtin Thunder, and Ducky. Appreciate it guys.
The boat was stored in Havasu, but it is sitting in storage in OC right now. At this point, I feel like throwing the motor in a '70 Chevelle and buying a boat with a crate motor..

rrrr
12-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Damn, I blew it. When I bought my '66 Ford PU last Summer it had oil leaks all over the engine. I had to replace all of the gaskets.
Looks like I should have gone after Ford to fix it.
(Note sarcasm. Dad is a fawking idiot....)
:hammerhea :hammerhea

flat broke
12-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Listen up here guys - my dad and I are very different people. The thing is it IS his boat and he ultimately decides what is done with it and how.
I knew he wrote a letter, the attorney thing is another issue. I did not know he went beyond his own words.
There is a simple issue at hand - I need to know if the hull can be reapired. If it can, I need to know if it is worth it, or if I should look for a new hull.
Aside from all the bickering I appreciate all the good info earlier on in the thread from Jordanpaulk, Squirtin Thunder, and Ducky. Appreciate it guys.
The boat was stored in Havasu, but it is sitting in storage in OC right now. At this point, I feel like throwing the motor in a '70 Chevelle and buying a boat with a crate motor..
Now that we're down to the nuts and bolts of it. I'd bank on it costing a good portion of a new hull to be repaired propertly, and have the entire boat gutted for inspection to see if delam is present elsewhere.
As for whether or not to buy a new hull or fix this one.... Just so you know, Eliminators are nickmamed Delaminators. As far as I know someone from the boards bought up a set of the Spectra molds with the intention of building performance boats. I'd try and see what a new hull would cost you from him, or from perhaps Mr. Miller before even thinking about a repair job on the current setup. No disrespect meant towards your pops, but it sounds like you have a nice motor to drop into a project of your own. Pride of ownership is a nice thing.
Chris

kidstuf
12-20-2004, 05:33 PM
RiverRat177,
If you would like to bring your boat out here we would be happy to take a look at it to see if it is in fact repairable, and if so would it be cost effective to do the repairs...
In regards to Flat Broke's comment, this is not a common occurrence, and we would be most interested to see what might have caused this to happen.
Brandie Leach
951-681-1222

Norseman
12-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Judging by your Dad's technique in handling this problem with Eliminator, you may find that it will be VERY difficult to find any shop willing to touch the boat. :crossx:
That said, I think that there where a couple of places suggested , early in this thread, that might have the ability to fix the problem, if it can be fixed.
My concern , if it was my boat, would be that there maybe other weak spots in the hull, and it might happen again at another time. I'm sure that if you found a shop with the expertise to fix it, they would also be able to tell you if they thought you were going to have continueing problems with delamination.
Having seen what can be done with fiberglass cars, I'm sure with the right craftsman working on it, anything on a boat can be fixed as well.
Good luck with the boat, it would be a shame to have to give up on one of the family.
But you might want to think about getting another hull to put your motor in while / if the present boat is being fixed..
Bob

Norseman
12-20-2004, 06:54 PM
RiverRat177,
If you would like to bring your boat out here we would be happy to take a look at it to see if it is in fact repairable, and if so would it be cost effective to do the repairs...
In regards to Flat Broke's comment, this is not a common occurrence, and we would be most interested to see what might have caused this to happen.
Brandie Leach
951-681-1222
Brandie;
You "guys" are amazing to make this kind of offer!!!!!
Especially after the correspondance that has gone on over this!!!!
Riverrat177 maybe you need to sit down with Dad and have a talk... :hammer2:
Looks like Eliminator is more than willing to do what they can....
Bob

GofastRacer
12-20-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm speachless, it totally amazes me how after 25yrs(trouble free I'm assuming) that someone would actually think a MFG would be responsible for something like that. I dought that it said 25yrs warantee on the sales contract!...If they offered to fix it at a smokin deal I'd be tickled pink!..

superdave013
12-20-2004, 07:48 PM
I'm speachless, it totally amazes me how after 25yrs(trouble free I'm assuming) that someone would actually think a MFG would be responsible for something like that. I dought that it said 25yrs warantee on the sales contract!...If they offered to fix it at a smokin deal I'd be tickled pink!..
Makes ya feel kinda jipped for restoring 'em the hard way hu Art? :hammer2: naw, won't change a thing.
Big props to Brandie for keeping Eliminator the class act that it's always been.

GofastRacer
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Makes ya feel kinda jipped for restoring 'em the hard way hu Art? :hammer2: naw, won't change a thing.
Big props to Brandie for keeping Eliminator the class act that it's always been.
Yep you got that right!.. :wink:

steelcomp
12-21-2004, 09:19 PM
I think I would ask myself if after that kind of damage, regardless of the repair job (knowing that it could probably be done extremely well) would you ever feel comfortable in that boat again?
I wouldn't.
Just a thought.

Jordy
12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
You know it's funny, everyone sure was quick to jump my shit on this thread, and yet, nothing for days after my prediction turns out to be fact. Absolutely mind boggling. :hammerhea :wink: :2purples: :crossx:

Norseman
12-22-2004, 06:29 AM
You know it's funny, everyone sure was quick to jump my shit on this thread, and yet, nothing for days after my prediction turns out to be fact. Absolutely mind boggling. :hammerhea :wink: :2purples: :crossx:
Jordan;
Is that the sound of you patting yourself on the back??? :D :D

taxman
12-22-2004, 07:01 AM
The guy was venting and did not do the right thing thats all. for every action there is a reaction grasshopper

Itsahobby
12-22-2004, 07:32 AM
I'd always have the damage in the back of my mind. Looks like your running a fair amount of horsepower. If it were me:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60466
Have it setup for your BBC. Of course I am into Rayson Crafts :D
Hobby

Jordy
12-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Jordan;
Nope not at all. That's the sound of me wondering where all the people went who were so quick to jump on me for even thinking that there was more to the story. There was even a mention of an apology in one post. Haven't seen that, and that was my point. ;)
The guy was venting and did not do the right thing thats all. for every action there is a reaction grasshopper
He was doing more than venting. From the very title of the thread it was clear that there was more to the story than was posted. At least it all came out. :idea: :D

Norseman
12-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Nope not at all. That's the sound of me wondering where all the people went who were so quick to jump on me for even thinking that there was more to the story. There was even a mention of an apology in one post. Haven't seen that, and that was my point. ;)
He was doing more than venting. From the very title of the thread it was clear that there was more to the story than was posted. At least it all came out. :idea: :D
I agree Jordan, all the guys that posted neg comments to you have been strangly quiet..... :eat:
And there is ALWAYS at least TWO sides to every story.... :shift:

Norseman
12-22-2004, 08:35 AM
I'd always have the damage in the back of my mind. Looks like your running a fair amount of horsepower. If it were me:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60466
Have it setup for your BBC. Of course I am into Rayson Crafts :D
Hobby
Now that would be a NICE Ride!!!!
There are a couple of really nice boats for sale on here!!!! :)
If I'm not mistaken Jordan has one for sale as well!!! Or was that an engine with a nice carrying case???
Gee I forget..... Old TImers kicking in :skull:

waterwitch
12-22-2004, 08:38 AM
There was even a mention of an apology in one post. Haven't seen that, and that was my point. ;)
All Right, All Right, I aplogize for jumping your
shit on this thread.There was more to the story.
I am one to always think the best of people before
the worst. You on the other hand.... I think the
worst at all times. :D :D :D .
I still don't agree with alot of the things that you
post, but in this case you were more right then
wrong.
Sincerely
Traci
God, that hurt!!!!

Norseman
12-22-2004, 08:51 AM
All Right, All Right, I aplogize for jumping your
shit on this thread.There was more to the story.
I am one to always think the best of people before
the worst. You on the other hand.... I think the
worst at all times. :D :D :D .
I still don't agree with alot of the things that you
post, but in this case you were more right then
wrong.
Sincerely
Traci
God, that hurt!!!!
WHAT an apology..... :boxingguy
It's nice that your making nice! :rolleyes:
And yes he does deserve it!! :messedup:

Jordy
12-22-2004, 08:53 AM
If I'm not mistaken Jordan has one for sale as well!!! Or was that an engine with a nice carrying case???
Either way you want to look at it. Yeah, I have a 21' River Cruiser and I've never heard of a Schiada delaminating. :D
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/images/901_2.jpg (http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/index.cfm?startpage=21&category=boats)

Norseman
12-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Either way you want to look at it. Yeah, I have a 21' River Cruiser and I've never heard of a Schiada delaminating. :D
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/images/901_2.jpg (http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/index.cfm?startpage=21&category=boats)
I can't beleive this hasn't sold yet!!
The boat looks fantastic!!! :D
Wish I had the money to bring it out this way!!
Joan is hinting around for a new car, so.........

Norseman
12-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Jordan;
Maybe Riverrat will make you a deal on the boat less motor, or do you want to sell it all together????
21 footer is a nice size for a family style boat, IMHO... :D
Bob

Lake Ape
12-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey, I am going to look at Jordanpaulk's boat after the holiday is over and the other half is still to busy looking at her new stuff to realize that I am buying another boat...
Also I wonder if the Joneses (from the sandbar) were the lawyers involved in this deal??? LOL!

Norseman
12-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey, I am going to look at Jordanpaulk's boat after the holiday is over and the other half is still to busy looking at her new stuff to realize that I am buying another boat...
Also I wonder if the Joneses (from the sandbar) were the lawyers involved in this deal??? LOL!
No I think they used the firm of "Dewey, Cheatum and Howe"
Bob

BILLY.B
12-23-2004, 06:31 AM
In the time it took me to read all of these post a guy could of ordered a new hull. What question is there??????. Pull everything out of the old one that is useable and go order a new hull or find one that needs an engine that is quite a bit newer and 'GIT 'ER DONE. Eliminator use to lay up the 19' spectra hull years ago and they may still have it. That was one "BADD ASS" looking boat and would make a nice v-drive river boat.

wsuwrhr
12-23-2004, 06:33 AM
In the time it took me to read all of these post a guy could of ordered a new hull. What question is there??????. Pull everything out of the old one that is useable and go order a new hull or find one that needs an engine that is quite a bit newer and 'GIT 'ER DONE. Eliminator use to lay up the 19' spectra hull years ago and they may still have it. That was one "BADD ASS" looking boat and would make a nice v-drive river boat.
Yea, Bling bling,
New hulls are chaep. 10 grand or so. big deal, buy one for a spare... :supp:
Brian

BILLY.B
12-23-2004, 06:41 AM
Yea, Bling bling,
New hulls are chaep. 10 grand or so. big deal, buy one for a spare... :supp:
Brian Yeah or maybe you can fix this one only to have it delam somewhere else while haul'in ass and you could be wearing your chin on your back :idea: . Now I ask you.....................WHICH IS CHEAPER?. Get a clue there MR. make a buffalo dance on a nickel cause your SOOOOOOOOOOTIGHT. Can't put a price on peace of mind :supp: .

wsuwrhr
12-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Yeah or maybe you can fix this one only to have it delam somewhere else while haul'in ass and you could be wearing your chin on your back :idea: . Now I ask you.....................WHICH IS CHEAPER?. Get a clue there MR. make a buffalo dance on a nickel cause your SOOOOOOOOOOTIGHT. Can't put a price on peace of mind :supp: .
Yes sir.
I didn't say fix the hull. That thing is food for a chainsaw.
Brian
Glad to see you are back.

BILLY.B
12-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Yes sir.
I didn't say fix the hull. That thing is food for a chainsaw.
Brian
Glad to see you are back. Hey isn't the Anthony for sale?????. Call him up and make a deal :idea: :rollside: .

wsuwrhr
12-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Hey isn't the Anthony for sale?????. Call him up and make a deal :idea: :rollside: .
I doubt he is ready to "trade down"
Brian

BILLY.B
12-23-2004, 06:51 AM
I doubt he is ready to "trade down"
Brian Are you saying that a delaminated Eliminator is better then your Anthony????????????? :2purples:. Shame on you......

wsuwrhr
12-23-2004, 06:52 AM
Are you saying that a delaminated Eliminator is better then your Anthony????????????? :2purples:. Shame on you......
You calling me a liar? :rollside: :rollside:
Hey Bling, I am not here to make enemies,
Brian

BILLY.B
12-23-2004, 07:00 AM
You calling me a liar? :rollside: :rollside:
Brian Not at all........ Just saying that your hull is sound and ready to go. The guy is looking to either fix his v-drive or replace it so your jet hull was just a JOKE!!!!! Now quite being so sensitive, your starting to worry me. :jawdrop:

lucky
12-23-2004, 07:14 AM
billy - i like the way you think - as a famous swim suit once said kwitcher bitchen and get down to business --- quite a few peps laying up v drives - cruisers and flats - ya got everything accept the haul - merry x mas to you - man

Scape Goat
12-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Buy a Howard They offer lifetime warrentee on their hulls, delamination and cracks covered so long as you don't have evidence of hitting something

rrrr
12-23-2004, 01:15 PM
I went back and read Riverrat's original post, and I'm calling bullshit on his claim that daddy wrote the letter to Eliminator and he is innocent of any wrongdoing. Here are his words:
ItÂ’s just disappointing that a company like Eliminator couldnÂ’t make the effort to look at the boat and talk with an owner about what happened and how to resolve the problem.
Resolve the problem? Sounds like he was looking for a freebie to me, and he was well aware that dad was claiming the boat was defective.
People like RR and his lowlife dad make life miserable for honest business owners. They both deserve a good kick in the junk and a heave ho out the front door of the tavern. :mad: :yuk: :yuk:

Jordy
12-23-2004, 01:35 PM
I went back and read Riverrat's original post, and I'm calling bullshit on his claim that daddy wrote the letter to Eliminator and he is innocent of any wrongdoing. Here are his words:
Resolve the problem? Sounds like he was looking for a freebie to me, and he was well aware that dad was claiming the boat was defective.
People like RR and his lowlife dad make life miserable for honest business owners. They both deserve a good kick in the junk and a heave ho out the front door of the tavern. :mad: :yuk: :yuk:
Wow, I can't believe anyone would think something like that after reading the first post of this thread and the title... :D

rrrr
12-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Wow, I can't believe anyone would think something like that after reading the first post of this thread and the title... :D
Then there was this other post:
Why would you even say such an stupid thing?
When you start off a post with, "don't take this the wrong
way", you know it's going to be a stupid comment.
I have read so many of your posts jordanpaulk, and I am
amazed at the fact that someone hasn't dropped kicked you
yet.
Bendover, Jordy.... :D :D

rrrr
12-23-2004, 06:15 PM
I stand by the drop kick thing.....
You just now read the post... pretty
quick on the upswing aren't ya???
Anyways... unless you know River rat
personally, why would you think it would
be anything more or less then face value?
I still think there is more to the story then was
first posted, but who am I to judge???????
Anything else???
If you read the whole thread.. you would also
have read that I applogized to Jordan....
It's easy to see why you are called waterwitch.
Maybe if you wouldn't run your yap so much you would spend less time apologizing.

waterwitch
12-23-2004, 06:59 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

AzMandella
12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Jordan;
Yeah he's about ready to dislocate his shoulder. :)

steelcomp
12-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Quote:rrr
It's easy to see why you are called waterwitch.
Maybe if you wouldn't run your yap so much you would spend less time apologizing.
Quote:rrr
People like RR and his lowlife dad make life miserable for honest business owners. They both deserve a good kick in the junk and a heave ho out the front door of the tavern.
Wow...aren't you the spreader of good cheer. :rolleyes: Nice touch, there rrr.
Happy Holidays!! :yuk:

Jordy
12-23-2004, 10:57 PM
I stand by the drop kick thing.....
If you read the whole thread.. you would also
have read that I applogized to Jordan....
But I still need to be drop kicked??? Interesting spin on that "apology." :eek:
Wow...aren't you the spreader of good cheer. :rolleyes:
Happy Holidays!! :yuk:
You said it. :rolleyes:
Yeah he's about ready to dislocate his shoulder. :)
As far as this bullshit, how am I patting myself on the back? I'm making a point that early on I read the bullshit factor of this whole thread and then got jumped on. Funny thing, after the whole story came out, the people that were so quick to jump my shit disappeared. I could care less about pats on the back, I'm pointing out the irony. :rolleyes:

Bob Noxious
12-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Wow Jordy!
Ordinarily, I really like Schiadas, but that paint scheme is scary! Did you buy that thing from a police agency or a wannabe cop? All that thing needs is some big gold stars and a waketower with lights!

AzMandella
12-25-2004, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=
As far as this bullshit, how am I patting myself on the back? I'm making a point that early on I read the bullshit factor of this whole thread and then got jumped on. Funny thing, after the whole story came out, the people that were so quick to jump my shit disappeared. I could care less about pats on the back, I'm pointing out the irony. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Easy there.Just Razzin you. :boxingguy Don't wear your heart on your sleeve.

Jordy
12-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Easy there.Just Razzin you. :boxingguy Don't wear your heart on your sleeve.
I'm sorry, I don't have a heart. If you spent any time here you'd know that. ;)

AzMandella
12-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Oops.I forgot. :confused:

Norseman
12-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Jordy Now it's xmas time, Play Nice!!!!!! :eek: :hammer2:

miller19j
12-30-2004, 03:38 PM
You know it's funny, everyone sure was quick to jump my shit on this thread, and yet, nothing for days after my prediction turns out to be fact. Absolutely mind boggling. :hammerhea :wink: :2purples: :crossx:Yea But you are still an Asshole Jordy :D

Jordy
12-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Yea But you are still an Asshole Jordy :D
Gee, thanks Miller. I haven't heard that from you for a while. I was getting concerned. :D

126driver
12-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Yea But you are still an Asshole Jordy :D
And that's exactly why I appreciate him :D

Jordy
12-30-2004, 04:43 PM
And that's exactly why I appreciate him :D
My parents said I could be anything, so I became an asshole. :D :D :D

Sleek-Jet
12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
My parents said I could be anything, so I became an asshole. :D :D :D
At least you're good at it....

Jordy
12-30-2004, 04:52 PM
At least you're good at it....
I strive for perfection in everything that I do. :D
Called pride in workmanship. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it and do it well. :D :D :D

a catered life
12-31-2004, 09:02 AM
RiverRat177,
Brandie Leach
951-681-1222
all bs aside jordan called it ;) as i thought as i read the entire thread (and i never read the entire thread) but i have to say a positive word for kid and elminator. my boat has been there for 3 weeks and about to pick it up on monday and i have had nothing but full respect and a real feel of teamwork from lance and the entire service department. my first call to them was shitty :mad: (when they found out it was a older boat finda got a cold shoulder) but when lance heard about my first call he was all over my boat. he upheld the honor of eliminator for me. :jawdrop: my point is i called more than once and got names of people in charge. due to the bad weather lately its delayed me from picking up my boat until monday but lance has been great.
my point.....dont involve lawyers until they are needed :hammer2: and as a hb member bring it to the forums fisrt. :idea:

CircleJerk
01-02-2005, 09:47 AM
I guess the best that could possibly be ascertained from this post is that JP (Jordy) is an admitted ___hole, and of course, use lawyers only at the bitter end! Happy New Year! :D