PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players

NOTALENT
12-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I am looking for a good MP3 player that holds a minimum of 512MB, with the Fm Tuner as well..I was lookin for something for when I am at the gym to strap on my arm...any Ideas.. or recommendations??

Tom Brown
12-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Personally, I like the Samsung Yepp. It's about the size of an AA battery. The sound quality seems to be on par with all the best players. They are only 256MB, however, so it won't hold the entire Beatles collection. It's rated to play for 20 hours on a AAA battery and it can hold about tripple that amount of music.
When I was looking at players a couple of months ago, I found a lot of reports of poor variable bit rate (VBR) support and other incompatabilities. That's why I didn't go with the iRiver player. Their stuff looks great so I was kind of leaning that way at first.
I'm really happy with my Yepp, although I found a song that wouldn't play in the very first batch of songs I put on it. It was a 160 kbps fixed bit rate rip that played perfectly on my desktop PC. I was dissapointed at the time but I haven't found any more songs that wouldn't play since then. Most of my MP3s are VBR because that's what my ripper creates by default so VBR support was critical to me. I've found that I can do several workouts before any songs repeat so personally, I don't see the need for any more space, although more is always better.
They all seem to have FM radio so that's not a big issue these days.
When I was reading reviews and recommendations, I found several recommendations of a Taiwanese player that is probably the cheapest MP3 player around. It's a unit that can come with about 30 different brands on it, or it can be totally generic. Best Buy has it as their low end unit. That's a player I didn't try out because the generic nature of it kind of grossed me out but, in retrospect, it might not have been a bad idea because the players tend to get abused when they live their life in a gym bag.

NOTALENT
12-17-2004, 09:09 AM
wow..thanks alot..how many songs does the 256mb hold?? like 4 hours right?

572Daytona
12-17-2004, 09:10 AM
I don't have any personal experience with this one, but it looks like it is what you are looking for:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_Player_521&class=mega

NOTALENT
12-17-2004, 09:13 AM
I don't have any personal experience with this one, but it looks like it is what you are looking for:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_Player_521&class=mega
thats awesome..it even counts calories and steps, and has a stop watch..price is great..how did u come up on this one???

572Daytona
12-17-2004, 09:17 AM
thats awesome..it even counts calories and steps, and has a stop watch..price is great..how did u come up on this one???
I went to one of the websites(zip zoom fly) where I buy techy geek stuff from a lot and saw it there:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=383209

Tom Brown
12-17-2004, 09:26 AM
wow..thanks alot..how many songs does the 256mb hold?? like 4 hours right?
I get about 60 songs in 256 MB. The system comes with a program that will downsample the songs to 128 kbps before putting them in the player that would help get more music on it. I don't like to wait for the downsampling so I just mount the player like a drive and copy my rips directly to it. My rips tend to be 160~320 kbps and high quality VBR.

JustMVG
12-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I bought the Dell 15 GB jukebox , and it's been great, we don't worry about scratched CD's anymore, the battery life is great can run all day on the boat no problem. I am using the Cassette tape with the wire to the headphone prot on my player and it sounds great, you can make up playlists or just select random play and it will play just about every song you have in the system. $199.00 and i have over 3500 songs on there now, and still have 3gb left. There is an add on that allows you to play the jukebox thru the radio using the 88.1-3 and 5 end of your radio freqs.
MikeVG

Steamin' Rice
12-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Circuit City has the Sandisk 512 MP3 player for $119 right now, or the 256 MB version for $89.. This one has an armband and an FM tuner..

riverbound
12-17-2004, 04:52 PM
cant beat the ipod for ease of use. no fm tuner though. I have the 20gig and love it. I have every CD in my collection in there and put it on random and never have to hear the same song twice.

JustMVG
12-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Riverbound we do the same thing, there's no way i could put all my cd's on the juke box, but i do have 85% of them in the computer just waiting to be loaded into the jukebox. Love the MP3, am trying to find a way to listen to it while riding my Motorcycle.
MVG

riverbound
12-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Riverbound we do the same thing, there's no way i could put all my cd's on the juke box, but i do have 85% of them in the computer just waiting to be loaded into the jukebox. Love the MP3, am trying to find a way to listen to it while riding my Motorcycle.
MVG
I use the headphones when I ride.

JustMVG
12-23-2004, 01:08 AM
I use the earbuds when i ride and have used the paper surgical tape to keep them in my ears, and they sound fine but i want to get a system thats made for the bikes that allows you to listen to your MP3 or cd or radio and use your cell phone via a hook up similar to what the racers use, it has a microphone that goes thru the back of the helmet and sits right where the breath shield is in the helmet, also thay have speakers that are velcroed into the helmet, so no more taping the earbuds, and i like my helmet to fit a little tight so the earbuds sort of push into the ear and tend to bother me after about 50 60 miles. The Baehr system has plug ins and a wireless volume control for the MP3 or radio, and auto mute when the phone is in use, if you have voice calling you touch a button onthe wireless and it opens the phone for you and all you do is say the name and voila your connected, it's also FRS ready so you can bike to bike talk if your buddy is on the same freq as you.
Neat little system. MikeVG

riverbound
12-23-2004, 01:41 AM
I just wear a beenie under my helmet. cuts down on wind noise and keeps the earbuds in.
i dont wear a full helmet when I ride just a little novelty helmet.

JustMVG
12-23-2004, 01:47 AM
I'm running a 2002 CBR600F4I, street bike and have a full face KBC helmet, and cruising at 70 :D or maybe more :D , the wind noise gets old, and when i put the helmet on the earbuds move out of place thats why i started to use the tape, but the Comm system will eliminate the need for tape, and will be clear as all get out, i tried one that a buddy has and they are great.
MikeVG

Norseman
12-23-2004, 04:16 AM
I use the earbuds when i ride and have used the paper surgical tape to keep them in my ears, and they sound fine but i want to get a system thats made for the bikes that allows you to listen to your MP3 or cd or radio and use your cell phone via a hook up similar to what the racers use, it has a microphone that goes thru the back of the helmet and sits right where the breath shield is in the helmet, also thay have speakers that are velcroed into the helmet, so no more taping the earbuds, and i like my helmet to fit a little tight so the earbuds sort of push into the ear and tend to bother me after about 50 60 miles. The Baehr system has plug ins and a wireless volume control for the MP3 or radio, and auto mute when the phone is in use, if you have voice calling you touch a button onthe wireless and it opens the phone for you and all you do is say the name and voila your connected, it's also FRS ready so you can bike to bike talk if your buddy is on the same freq as you.
Neat little system. MikeVG
Sounds like a nice system!!

NOTALENT
12-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Thanks everyone for all the help...I finally came to a conclusion after all my research and reviews..from you all.. I have decided to go with this SanDisk 1gb. At circuit city they are 199.95 plus tax. but I bought it on ebay with free shipping..It works great. And came with the arm strap. Here is the link to check it out.. It recieved better reviews then The IRIVER and for the same price u get twice the MB.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73839&item=5734516292

Jordy
12-23-2004, 07:50 AM
You might ask Aharon what he prefers when he's "working out." :D

surfer2001
12-23-2004, 08:04 AM
If you want the best get an IPOD, Ipod with Bose Quite Comfort (2) headphones is a unbeatable combination. A little pricy, but you get what you pay for.

NOTALENT
12-23-2004, 08:09 AM
If you want the best get an IPOD, Ipod with Bose Quite Comfort (2) headphones is a unbeatable combination. A little pricy, but you get what you pay for.
I checked them out..but they were big and bulky..even the mini... Also they do not have a fm tuner...but they did have games on them..haha.. This will strap to my arm and wont get in my way when im working out.

WaTchTheGelCoat
12-23-2004, 08:48 AM
You might ask Aharon what he prefers when he's "working out." :D
BWAHHHAAAAAA :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: