PDA

View Full Version : Experiance with a DUI dist?

Lake Ape
12-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey I am looking at buying a DUI distributer to replace my old points system and was wondering what everyone thought of the DUI's.
Thanks,
Lake Ape

Moneypitt
12-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Let me be the first to ask, you do mean HEI right? DUI is something most people would perfer to stay away from. I like the point system just fine. Simple, easy to maintain, with parts that can be checked out quite easily without expensive equipment. True the HEI deals last longer in vehicles, but how many hrs do you really put on a boat ignition system..............MP

78Eliminator
12-17-2004, 01:45 PM
LOL!!!! And here I thought I was about to learn about some new ignition technology! :D

Lake Ape
12-17-2004, 02:05 PM
DUI = Davis Unified Ignition, you know the dist. they advertise in all the magazines. It has the coil directy on the cap. Check your ***boat magazina, I can almost garanutee that they have an ad in there for them.

Squirtin Thunder
12-17-2004, 05:06 PM
DUI = Davis Unified Ignition, you know the dist. they advertise in all the magazines. It has the coil directy on the cap. Check your ***boat magazina, I can almost garanutee that they have an ad in there for them.
What are you drunk ???
Get out !!!
You can not use a chevy dist. on a Ford period !!!!!
Stop !!!!
Even AMC-NUT could fab a Ford dist. to a gm HEI one in a day !!!!!
Jim

Moneypitt
12-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Hot Boat has a magazine???

Jet Boat John
12-17-2004, 07:13 PM
I haven't used the HEI you are asking about, but I do have a D.U.I. ignition module in my 5.0 Mustang for 5-6 years now, never had a problem. It's suppose to offer more coil saturation over stock. There "LIVE-WIRES" are nice too. Good Stuff.
JRJ

GofastRacer
12-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Think you guys need to do a little research before spewing off here :D . D.U.I=Davis Unified Ignition is a very good unit and they adapt the HEI to almost any distributer!.. ;)
D.U.I. (http://www.performancedistributors.com/)

Lake Ape
12-19-2004, 11:40 AM
So I guess no one has used one, right?? They have a new digital unit out that you can program your curve with a laptop, no weights or springs or other crap to deal with. I can't beleive no one has used one...

Lake Ape
12-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Ford DUI (http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddui.htm)
http://www.performancedistributors.com/358212-1.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Ford DUI (http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddui.htm)
http://www.performancedistributors.com/358212-1.jpg
If it wasn't for the Blue it would look like a GM POS
Merry Christmas
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Think you guys need to do a little research before spewing off here :D . D.U.I=Davis Unified Ignition is a very good unit and they adapt the HEI to almost any distributer!.. ;)
That is a gm design yukky poooy !!!
It is bad enough that I have a 1 wire gm alt.
**** SHIT DAMM !!!!
Merry Christmas
Jim

Lake Ape
12-19-2004, 12:24 PM
This is my other choice Thunder, but I don't want to buy all the stinking boxes and crap to go with it!
Crane (http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=127&action=partSpec&partNumber=1000-1604&showAll=yes)
I can't find points anymore for my distributor and am getting tired of using cut down olds points.
http://www.cranecams.com/include/showImage.php?type=heading&id=918

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
This is my other choice Thunder, but I don't want to buy all the stinking boxes and crap to go with it!
Crane (http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=127&action=partSpec&partNumber=1000-1604&showAll=yes)
I can't find points anymore for my distributor and am getting tired of using cut down olds points.
http://www.cranecams.com/include/showImage.php?type=heading&id=918
:cool: Now that is the Ticket !!!!!!!!!! :cool:
Smoken !!!!

AzMandella
12-19-2004, 01:31 PM
If I were you I would just buy a MSD box and trigger it with a points dist.For around 250.00$ youcan have one of the best ignition systems around.And changing a few springs to set your advance curve is no problem at all.

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2004, 02:04 PM
If I were you I would just buy a MSD box and trigger it with a points dist.For around 250.00$ youcan have one of the best ignition systems around.And changing a few springs to set your advance curve is no problem at all.
Why not run a mag ??? More reliable than msd

TIMINATOR
12-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Use a stock ford electronic distributor,lock the advance out,set it at 34deg or whatever you like,wire it to a stock ford "blue grommet" box,and be happy. The ford box has much more punch than points ever will, it is hermetically sealed(waterproof) and cheap($25.00).They are found on late 70s/80s trucks and v-8 cars, if your counterman is an idiot, and doesn't know that the grommet where the wires come out denotes the application. You can buy these at most K-Marts! there that common! Reliable as a brick. Post if you need the wiring info. Much cheaper than the Davis set-up(an elegant solution to a non-existant problem) TIMINATOR

ONAROLL
12-19-2004, 08:38 PM
I run one on my BBF, not one firing issue after I put it in, two wires, Tach and Hot wire, good to 7K, I got the one from Maddog racing ,like 139.00 I did it because I have never had an HEI fail in any of my boats, and if they do parts are at any parts store. .02....Vic

canuck1
12-20-2004, 10:40 AM
I have a few freinds that run them on their Hobby Stocks and have not had any problems in the last couple on years. It is a good part to run IMO

Squirtin Thunder
12-20-2004, 01:26 PM
I run one on my BBF, not one firing issue after I put it in, two wires, Tach and Hot wire, good to 7K, I got the one from Maddog racing ,like 139.00 I did it because I have never had an HEI fail in any of my boats, and if they do parts are at any parts store. .02....Vic
OK
I see the reasoning behind your thoughts but you can't put chevy parts on a Ford and feel good about it !!!
Jim

AzMandella
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Why not run a mag ??? More reliable than msd
Mags are more reliable I suppose.But a mag won't hold a spark for 20 degrees of crank rotation.I've never fouled out or loaded up a set of plugs with an MSD.Also unless you are going to buy a used mag they run 500.00 or more for a good one.And a MSD mag which is the only mag that I know of that will put a continuous spark for 20 degrees of crank rotation runs 1000.00+.

ONAROLL
12-20-2004, 06:46 PM
OK
I see the reasoning behind your thoughts but you can't put chevy parts on a Ford and feel good about it !!!
Jim
Jim, sure its easy, you should see the looks when I dropped a SBC in my slammed 50 ford coupe, my theory is go with what you know....lol...Vic :argue:

GofastRacer
12-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Mags are more reliable I suppose.But a mag won't hold a spark for 20 degrees of crank rotation.I've never fouled out or loaded up a set of plugs with an MSD.Also unless you are going to buy a used mag they run 500.00 or more for a good one.And a MSD mag which is the only mag that I know of that will put a continuous spark for 20 degrees of crank rotation runs 1000.00+.
Wrong, more it revs the more it puts out and I've fired a flooded motor that had enough black smoke to cover the sun!.. :)

Stab-n-Steer
12-21-2004, 07:54 AM
I run a PMS distributer. It runs pretty well most of the time but about once a month it gives me hell. The way to fix it I found, is to take it out and hug it a few times and tell it that it's new cap doesn't make it look fat...
S&S

BrendellaJet
12-21-2004, 10:52 AM
I ran a DUI before tearing my boat apart. Im going with the MSD now because it has more features for my new motor. For a mild motor the DUI was a killer piece. I will be using mine as a backup for when my MSD fails me.

AzMandella
12-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Wrong, more it revs the more it puts out and I've fired a flooded motor that had enough black smoke to cover the sun!.. :)
Sorry Art but MSD is the only Mag that puts out a continuos spark for 20 degrees of crank rotation.Your mag is points triggered and will not put out a continuous spark to the plug over 20 degrees of crank rotation. Just like a regular points distributor it tells it when to fire,not for how long. But you are right the faster you turn a Mag the higher the output of the spark,wheras a the MSD only puts out a spark strength that the coil is rated for.When you are running below 3000 RPM the MSD sends 6 seperate sparks to each cylinder over 20 degrees of crank rotation when it fires that cylinder.I don't think your Mag can do that.

GofastRacer
12-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Sorry Art but MSD is the only Mag that puts out a continuos spark for 20 degrees of crank rotation.Your mag is points triggered and will not put out a continuous spark to the plug over 20 degrees of crank rotation. Just like a regular points distributor it tells it when to fire,not for how long. But you are right the faster you turn a Mag the higher the output of the spark,wheras a the MSD only puts out a spark strength that the coil is rated for.When you are running below 3000 RPM the MSD sends 6 seperate sparks to each cylinder over 20 degrees of crank rotation when it fires that cylinder.I don't think your Mag can do that.
Whatever, mine works and it's reliable, that's all that matters!..

kielbasa
12-22-2004, 07:46 AM
I'm about to order the DUI for my little 318 Mopar.....something about points just rubs me the wrong way, besides, it's a nice clean installation and I get rid of the ballast resistor.....friend read some article in a car mag where they did some sort of ignition shootout MSD vs. DUI and the DUI came out on top, take that for what it's worth..............

GofastRacer
12-22-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm about to order the DUI for my little 318 Mopar.....something about points just rubs me the wrong way, besides, it's a nice clean installation and I get rid of the ballast resistor.....friend read some article in a car mag where they did some sort of ignition shootout MSD vs. DUI and the DUI came out on top, take that for what it's worth..............
Yep, go for it!.. :cool:

AzMandella
12-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Was that a test of a ready to run MSD vs a DUI or a test between MSD box vs a DUI.I have ahard time believing the DUI outperformed a ML-6 or AL-7 MSD box and billet dist.BUt I could see where the DUI may have outperfomed a MSD ready to run dist.

kielbasa
01-01-2005, 03:52 PM
The test was with the MSD Digital 6 and MSD Pro Billet distributor.