PDA

View Full Version : Ford F150 and Expeditions RECALL???

PHOTOGLOU
12-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Did anyone else just hear on the news that over 100,000 F-150's and Expeditions have been recalled because 36 have already caught on fire and burned??????????????

WUTWZAT
12-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey if mine burns up (fingers crossed) maybe I can get a Tahoe...... Sweet, this Expedition is the biggest hunk of Sh!t I have ever owned. I mean when it runs it runs good, but how often is that? Its a 2000 with barely 60K on it and had to have the cylinder heads replaced because of manuf. defect.
Jason

Hallett19
12-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I had a 2000 which now has 80k miles on it and it runs like a top. What is the recall about ? Is it in the alternator ? I know Ford has a problem with their alternators burning up... :cry: Happened to me in my Mustang

al cole'holic
12-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Did anyone else just hear on the news that over 100,000 F-150's and Expeditions have been recalled because 36 have already caught on fire and burned??????????????
I know you said you need to sell 30 something cars this month but damn this is one hell of a way to do it! :D

H20Advantage
12-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Do they catch fire before or after they start rattling apart :D .
I have not been in a Ford since the 1960 models that didn't start to raddle and shake as they get older. You should see the police cruisers these days, at high sppeds I have seen the hoods start to vibrate and visibly wobble. you also can't catch shit with them.
Now the chevy's had the suped up corvette engine a few years ago and those were the shit. Fast and built solid. :wink:

cc322
12-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Fast and built solid.
Are you sure your talking about a GM product? :wink:

Boatcop
12-17-2004, 07:31 PM
That's because they're made from recycled Pintos.
(Pssst Jay. I won't mention the Vega.) :crossx:

Dr. Eagle
12-17-2004, 07:33 PM
That's because they're made from recycled Pintos.
(Pssst Jay. I won't mention the Vega.) :crossx:
Or Crown Victorias... :hammer2:

voodoomedman
12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Fast and built solid.
Are you sure your talking about a GM product? :wink:
and I used to like you!!!!!

jbtrailerjim
12-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Well I guess if my F-150 burns up at least I can go buy that Super Duty I've been wanting. ;) :D
Oh, My 2002 F-150......50,000 trouble free miles so far. :cool:
Here's the story I found.
Feds Probe Ford F-150 Engine Fires
November 24, 2004
Federal regulators have opened an investigation into complaints of engine fires in Ford F-150 pickup trucks and in Expedition and Navigator SUVs.
The inquiry involves 2000 models of the three vehicles and follows 36 reports of engine fires that may be related to a cruise-control deactivation switch, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.
The fires occurred while the vehicles were parked and the engine was off, with no accidents or injuries reported, the agency said.
ConsumerAffairs.Com has also received numerous complaints about Ford truck engine fires but the complaints are not restricted to 2000 model year vehicles.
Douglas of Sharpsburg, GA, reported that his 1997 F-150 Super Cab burned to the ground while parked outside his home. "Please do not park these trucks in your garage," Douglas cautioned.
Ryan of Cypress, TX, parked his 1997 F-150 outside a Houston fire station, where he works. This turned out to be an appropriate location since the truck burst into flames later that day.
"I heard a booming sound (like a car backfire). I sprung from my chair and looked out the back door of the fire station to see the front of my truck on fire," Ryan said.
"My wife drove it to work, parked it in a parking space and 7 hours later the vehicle burst into flames! Now we have no truck," wrote Douglas of Columbia, SC.

OGShocker
12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Douglas of Sharpsburg, GA, reported that his 1997 F-150 Super Cab burned to the ground while parked outside his home. "Please do not park these trucks in your garage," Douglas cautioned.
I would have added, or anywhere on my street. :supp:
F.O.R.D.! NUF SAID. :hammer2:

cc322
12-17-2004, 10:57 PM
:D :D :D :D

voodoomedman
12-17-2004, 11:08 PM
:D :D :D :D
ok ok but just so you know. That engine in your boat... It's a GM block :D

PowellScooter
12-18-2004, 05:22 AM
We've received nothing pertaining to this matter from Ford at our dealership, and have had no related customer concerns. Doesnt mean there may not be a issue, but its likley not widespread. Competing manufacturers like to bally-hoo this type of thing to try and pump their brands sales, especially at slow times and when their sales are lagging. Everyone seems to like to talk smack about Fords but when Im in so. Cal. I seem to see a dominant presense (sp?) of Ford trucks and SUVs on the hwy, and many more Ford dealerships than GM products or vehicles. I also cant recall GM putting out a law enforcement specific vehicle that is in widespread use.

Boatcop
12-18-2004, 07:18 AM
I also cant recall GM putting out a law enforcement specific vehicle that is in widespread use.
Chevy discontinued Police Package sedans with the body change on the Caprice in the mid '90s.
However they now offer the Tahoe in a Police Package unit. Heavier drive train, suspension, performance chips, etc.
Dodge is trying to get back into it with the Interpid and Magnum in Police Special models.
Ford has pretty much been the standard with the Crown Vic, but have paid untold $$ millions to Officers and their families killed or burned by explosions and the resulting fires caused by defective placement of the Crown Vic fuel tank and components near the fuel tank.

PowellScooter
12-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Chevy discontinued Police Package sedans with the body change on the Caprice in the mid '90s.
However they now offer the Tahoe in a Police Package unit. Heavier drive train, suspension, performance chips, etc..
Alan thats true but they are primarily for rural areas, not a lot of HWY patrol usage for a Tahoe, our S.O. uses a couple. The Park Rangers all have Expeditions here at L.P.. Yes there have been issues with the Crown Vic but I would rather take a purpose specific built vehicle with a few issues than a conventional passenger sedan or a front wheel drive Dodge.
Not bagging on you just an opinion

cc322
12-18-2004, 07:40 AM
engine in your boat... It's a GM block
But they use the name Mercury, and Mercury is a division of Ford,...right ;) :D :D :D

It's all Good
12-18-2004, 10:09 AM
not a lot of HWY patrol usage for a Tahoe, our S.O. uses a couple.
There are quite a few Departments in Southern California that use the Tahoe, not necessarily for offroad. It is really popular for Supervisors. I heard a while back that Beverly Hills was going to the Tahoe exclusively, not sure if it happened.

ratso
12-18-2004, 10:39 AM
I think I read about recalls on Dodge Dakotas and Durangos and also Hummers because of a problem with the front ends and the wheels can fall off... :notam:

PHOTOGLOU
12-18-2004, 10:43 AM
I have sold alot of Tahoe's to the Anaheim Police Dept. I see them in H.B. Tustin, Sheriff's dept, Irvine, alot of places. I think GM's thinking was the Police dept's wanted to buy GM quality at Ford prices and GM realized that you can't do that and make a profit so give it up and see where it goes AND in talking to the 100's of Police officer friends and Customers I have NOT ONE has preffered the Crown Vic over the Caprice (Impala SS) BUT there is a bean counter who says ford is the way to go. I recently went on a ride a long in Lynwood Ca and rode in a 80k miles Crown Vic and was scared at 90 MPH SCARED I have ridden in friends boats at over 140 MPH worried but not scared ( I was not driving the boat as we all know its easier to be a driver than passenger) I asked the officer if he noticed the body roll in turn and he said YEA as long as you don't have to hit the brakes it SHOULD be ok. Ford does not make alot of money selling cars to police depts NOBODY does. and I think that is why the Crown Vic is outdated.

Squirtin Thunder
12-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Hey if mine burns up (fingers crossed) maybe I can get a Tahoe...... Sweet, this Expedition is the biggest hunk of Sh!t I have ever owned. I mean when it runs it runs good, but how often is that? Its a 2000 with barely 60K on it and had to have the cylinder heads replaced because of manuf. defect.
Jason
Is that that POS 4.6 or the 5.4 ???

Squirtin Thunder
12-18-2004, 03:26 PM
I have sold alot of Tahoe's to the Anaheim Police Dept. I see them in H.B. Tustin, Sheriff's dept, Irvine, alot of places. I think GM's thinking was the Police dept's wanted to buy GM quality at Ford prices and GM realized that you can't do that and make a profit so give it up and see where it goes AND in talking to the 100's of Police officer friends and Customers I have NOT ONE has preffered the Crown Vic over the Caprice (Impala SS) BUT there is a bean counter who says ford is the way to go. I recently went on a ride a long in Lynwood Ca and rode in a 80k miles Crown Vic and was scared at 90 MPH SCARED I have ridden in friends boats at over 140 MPH worried but not scared ( I was not driving the boat as we all know its easier to be a driver than passenger) I asked the officer if he noticed the body roll in turn and he said YEA as long as you don't have to hit the brakes it SHOULD be ok. Ford does not make alot of money selling cars to police depts NOBODY does. and I think that is why the Crown Vic is outdated.
As a driver, you use the caracteristics of the car to your benifit and you can make them do almost anything. Sometimes you dirt track it more than you really want to. But every one of those Crown Vics that I have tested suck as a persuit car in my eyes. But then again I don't like the CHP Cameros at all eather. Now a new GT (GT40) would be a great persuit car !!!

voodoomedman
12-18-2004, 05:51 PM
engine in your boat... It's a GM block
But they use the name Mercury, and Mercury is a division of Ford,...right ;) :D :D :D
Craig,
change your post and redeem yourself. While for does have a Mercury division. Mercury Marine is in no way affiliated with Ford Motor Co. By the way I like Fords I'm not a hater. I just love Chevy's

cc322
12-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Craig,
change your post and redeem yourself.
I know they are not the same Jason, I was making a funny :D But it sounded good. Ok now to really stir the shit, since there seems to be so many slogans for the word F.O.R.D Here comes the one for the Chebby's
Chevy... Chevy... made of tin, drive um out push um in :D :D :D
please go easy on me :p

PHOTOGLOU
12-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Craig,
I know they are not the same Jason, I was making a funny :D But it sounded good. Ok now to really stir the shit, since there seems to be so many slogans for the word F.O.R.D Here comes the one for the Chebby's
Hope your boat motor is a FORD and not a Found on River dead motor

MsDrmr
12-18-2004, 07:12 PM
can I be serious for a moment, I just purchased a ford f150, should I be concerned about this :confused:

PHOTOGLOU
12-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Well I guess if my F-150 burns up at least I can go buy that Super Duty I've been wanting. ;) :D
Oh, My 2002 F-150......50,000 trouble free miles so far. :cool:
Here's the story I found.
Feds Probe Ford F-150 Engine Fires
Msdrmnr as this says 36 reported cases in 50 states so something to keep in mind but not nessecsarilly ( oh boy I know I spelled that wrong) worry about
November 24, 2004
Federal regulators have opened an investigation into complaints of engine fires in Ford F-150 pickup trucks and in Expedition and Navigator SUVs.
The inquiry involves 2000 models of the three vehicles and follows 36 reports of engine fires that may be related to a cruise-control deactivation switch, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.
The fires occurred while the vehicles were parked and the engine was off, with no accidents or injuries reported, the agency said.
ConsumerAffairs.Com has also received numerous complaints about Ford truck engine fires but the complaints are not restricted to 2000 model year vehicles.
Ryan of Cypress, TX, parked his 1997 F-150 outside a Houston fire station, where he works. This turned out to be an appropriate location since the truck burst into flames later that day.
"I heard a booming sound (like a car backfire). I sprung from my chair and looked out the back door of the fire station to see the front of my truck on fire," Ryan said.
"My wife drove it to work, parked it in a parking space and 7 hours later the vehicle burst into flames! Now we have no truck," wrote Douglas of Columbia, SC.Mrsdrmr there are 36 reported cases in 50 states SO something to think about but not something to worry about

Squirtin Thunder
12-18-2004, 09:06 PM
can I be serious for a moment, I just purchased a ford f150, should I be concerned about this :confused:
I would do this check the recall list on line and see if your F150 falls onder the recall if it does take it to the dealer and insist that they fix whatever it is that cause the problem.
Merry Christmas
Jim

raff
12-18-2004, 10:23 PM
We had a 1997 Ford Expedition that we traded in. Had 113,000 miles, and NEVER NEVER NEVER had a problem with it. You treat the truck good, it treats you good. We towed our boat to the river since we bought it in 1997, NEVER NEVER NEVER broke down.
I will always own a Ford, just bought the 04 F250 SD 4 x 4 with the 6.0 Diesel, and im sure it will treat me just like my expedition did.
First on race day
Mark out

Squirtin Thunder
12-18-2004, 10:25 PM
We had a 1997 Ford Expedition that we traded in. Had 113,000 miles, and NEVER NEVER NEVER had a problem with it. You treat the truck good, it treats you good. We towed our boat to the river since we bought it in 1997, NEVER NEVER NEVER broke down.
I will always own a Ford, just bought the 04 F250 SD 4 x 4 with the 6.0 Diesel, and im sure it will treat me just like my expedition did.
First on race day
Mark out
Smoken !!!!!!!!!!
For Off Road Driving

voodoomedman
12-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Craig,
I needed a good laugh this morning.

voodoomedman
12-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Hope your boat motor is a FORD and not a Found on River dead motor
Now that's just classic right there.