PDA

View Full Version : looking at a new F250

hava life
12-18-2004, 05:54 AM
I know a lot of people have the 250. Which motor package should I look at. I will be getting 4x4 but should I go gas or diesel? I will be using it for work driving about 40 miles to work daily and pulling the boat on weekends. I have a steep drivway that I have to back the boat up until I build a garage in front of the house. Right now my 150 doesn't have the power to back up the driveway with the boat, I have to get a run at backing up and turning into the garage it's a real tight fit.

RiverOtter
12-18-2004, 05:58 AM
I don't have one but I can almost guaranty that 99% of the responses will be Diesel. I do have an 02 Z71 Burb which of course is gas. I can't wait till 06 or 07 when the diesel comes out. The diesel not only has more pulling power but the whole drive train is beefier. If you got the extra $'s go diesel. JMHO.

Blacksheep
12-18-2004, 06:14 AM
I agree with RiverOtter. If you have the money, hands down go diesel. Better gas mileage plus diesel are built to be bullet proof. You will enjoy the extra power and torque.
I have a 24V Cummins and I love it...wouldn't go any other way. I think you will be quite pleased with Ford's International diesel.

PHX ATC
12-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Diesel.
I've 2 Cummins trucks at my house, but Ford builds a nice diesel and a nice truck. If you can spin the $$$, diesel, auto, 4x4, and whatever interior niceties you like.
Have fun with it.

N2Lake
12-18-2004, 06:55 AM
I would go with the diesel. I bought my first diesel in 1990 and went one stretch for 35 months since then with out a diesel, I won't be doing that again. Once you try a diesel nothing else even comes close, believe me I even tried a blower on my gas truck, but it just was not the same as a diesel. JMO

Mandelon
12-18-2004, 07:12 AM
Even if you don't have the money, go with the diesel!!! The Ford is pretty loud, but the power is worth it.
Man-->Sold his Fords and now runs Dmax<--delon :p

purrfecttremor
12-18-2004, 07:17 AM
i have a 04 250 v10 and pull a 25 ft boat.has plenty of power sounds decent with exaust BUT only12 mpg at all times but i would go v10 again.

cc322
12-18-2004, 07:27 AM
I am in the same situation as you right now, my 2000 expedition is in the trader tryiing to sell it to buy my f-250. I have gone over the diesel vs v-10 thing a hundred times and most say get the diesel, but it would not be a daily driver for me, so not sure if I could justify the extra cost of the diesel. You on the other hand use it as a daily driver, so the extra money for the diesel would be well spent. IMO the fords look the best, and every new ford I have been in seemed to be very quiet. If your looking to do some research before you buy here is a couple web sites you could try. The dieselstop.com, and Fordtruckenthusiasts.com alot of good info on gas and diesel trucks. good luck

TexasJet
12-18-2004, 07:39 AM
I have the 03 F250 Diesel and love it. Don't buy it for the better gas mileage though. Now that the cost of diesel fuel is as high a premium gas, the better milage is not enough to pay for the difference in gas prices. Buy it cause it loves to pull stuff. I have a 31' travel trailer, 8000 LBS loaded, and that truck pulls it like a champ.

BADBLOWN572
12-18-2004, 08:51 AM
I have an '04 F-250 4x4 with the diesel and love it. I will never go back to another gas engine ever again in my trucks. WELL WORTH the extra money in my opinion. Sure is nice to be able to pull anything you want and not have to worry about wondering if you have the power to pull something and pass someone. I just set cruise at 70 and it will pull my boat up Ciraco or Cajon pass no problems. Get stuck behind a big rig, stab it, and by the time you are finished passing him, you will be at 80 no problem.
It is also nice because I have the Edge with Attitude kit that I got from STV Keith and what a difference. Never had a problem when the truck was stock, but for the couple hundred bucks more, what a difference. On level 5, it has over 500 h.p. to the tires. Kind of nice when a rice rocket is giving you crap to stab the gas and smoke him. :) Overall though, I get around 19mpg on the freeway cruising, 15-17 around town, and 15 towing. I am also on a set of 35" tires too. Back when it was stock, 65mph on the freewaw was 22mpg. Not bad for a big ass truck!

FREIND OF AA AND TA
12-18-2004, 09:12 AM
I had an 01, 02, and now a 04 4x4! Ford! Dont buy gas!!!!!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-18-2004, 09:16 AM
I know a lot of people have the 250. Which motor package should I look at. I will be getting 4x4 but should I go gas or diesel? I will be using it for work driving about 40 miles to work daily and pulling the boat on weekends. I have a steep drivway that I have to back the boat up until I build a garage in front of the house. Right now my 150 doesn't have the power to back up the driveway with the boat, I have to get a run at backing up and turning into the garage it's a real tight fit.
Like Otter says....Go Diesel.
I am on my second diesel Excursion......I would never buy gas again....
We have switched our entire fleet from gas to diesel.
CJG
:wink:

hot_diggity_dog
12-18-2004, 09:24 AM
I have an '04 F-250 4x4 with the diesel and love it.
It is also nice because I have the Edge with Attitude kit that I got from STV Keith and what a difference.
On level 5, it has over 500 h.p. to the tires.
Ok Danny You need to explain how your are getting over 500 Horse power to the rear wheels!! :hammerhea With the setup you have and adding Nitrous you wouldn't see over 500HP to the rear wheels! :argue: :hammerhea :D
If a stock truck has 325HP and the Edge package only adds 115HP or so??? How are you acheiving the over 500HP's :confused: :hammer2:
HDD :D

Jordy
12-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Ok Danny You need to explain how your are getting over 500 Horse power to the rear wheels!! :hammerhea With the setup you have and adding Nitrous you wouldn't see over 500HP to the rear wheels! :argue: :hammerhea :D
If a stock truck has 325HP and the Edge package only adds 115HP or so??? How are you acheiving the over 500HP's :confused: :hammer2:
Leave it to the Ford owners to have to over-compensate. Perhaps that is Ford math. Gotta do something to keep up with the Chevy guys. :D :D :D

hot_diggity_dog
12-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Leave it to the Ford owners to have to over-compensate. Perhaps that is Ford math. Gotta do something to keep up with the Chevy guys. :D :D :D
We'll breaking news Jordy, I just waxed my truck with this new product and now I have a few more HP's, and I gained a few more MPH in the top end too! :smile:

Jordy
12-18-2004, 09:35 AM
We'll breaking news Jordy, I just waxed my truck with this new product and now I have a few more HP's, and I gained a few more MPH in the top end too! :smile:
Now your next step is to go the way of the street racers and the fast jetters. You need stickers. I think some stickers are worth up to 20 hp. A few of those bad boys and huge gains will be noticed.
Let me know what wax you used as I'm interested in making my truck faster. :D :D :D

hot_diggity_dog
12-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Now your next step is to go the way of the street racers and the fast jetters. You need stickers. I think some stickers are worth up to 20 hp. A few of those bad boys and huge gains will be noticed.
Let me know what wax you used as I'm interested in making my truck faster. :D :D :D
I don't want to let the cat out of the bag on the wax right now! :2purples:
I'm working on a product for the tires that wil give you another 2MPH. :wink:
325HP stock
115HP Edge jucice with Attitude
5HP Special exterior wax :argue:
20HP Stickers :argue:
2HP Special wax on stickers
2HP Special tire product
469HP so far ;) almost there :crossx:

DryHeatOnly
12-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Scott...go with the Powerstroke Diesel. :cool: I have the '04 and couldn't be happier. I'm completely stock and love the torque for towing my toyhauler (estimated 10,000 lbs fully loaded). Pulling the boat (5500?) is not even an issue.
The acceleration is awesome too. This truck does everything I need it to do.

Jordy
12-18-2004, 09:50 AM
HDD,
That up to 20 hp gain on the stickers was a piece. You're really missing the bus on the sticker potential. Seems to me you can squeeze 150 sticker horsepower out of a truck before you start losing ground do to the weight and aerodynamic drag created by said stickers. Perhaps, if you were to apply the stickers and then wax over them, you could shave off some of that drag.
Just trying to help ya out HDD.
Jordy :D

hot_diggity_dog
12-18-2004, 09:55 AM
HDD,
That up to 20 hp gain on the stickers was a piece. You're really missing the bus on the sticker potential. Seems to me you can squeeze 150 sticker horsepower out of a truck before you start losing ground do to the weight and aerodynamic drag created by said stickers. Perhaps, if you were to apply the stickers and then wax over them, you could shave off some of that drag.
Just trying to help ya out HDD.
Jordy :D
Man that's some serious science on aerodynamics with stickers. :wink:
I'm going to work on the ratio of stickers I can apply to a F250, and keep the weight/speed increase ratio to achieve the highest gains. :2purples: :D
Let me get back to you after I input this new info into my data base and give you the scientific backup to prove it. :crossx:
HDD :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
12-18-2004, 09:58 AM
You guys better watch what you post...
...lots of lawsuit threats going around these days.
:D

hot_diggity_dog
12-18-2004, 10:00 AM
You guys better watch what you post...
...lots of lawsuit threats going around these days.
:D
Thanks HH LMAO :p :p
We'll have to back this up with some scientific evidence then! :skull: :argue: :wink:
HDD :)

BOBALOO
12-18-2004, 10:22 AM
I have to admit, I have GAS. Well it is an 03 F-250 v-10 and while I drive an 02 F-350 diesel during the week for work and have 123000 miles on it I still picked the gasser because it only gets 12k per year put on it.
My main reasons for picking the v-10 were,
I only drive this truck on the weekends
MY WIFE HATES THE SMELL OF DIESEL
I dont have a big travel trailer, and never will. (lots of friends without boats that have weekend warriors)
My 25' boat is pulled to the river fast enough to get me speeding tickets with ease.
If I had a huge trailer or over 32'boat I might go for the diesel.
I have alot of friends that get 12mpg w/the 6.0 diesel around town and 15-16 on the highway but still get 10-12 towing their weekend warriors.
I get 11-12 around town and 12-14 on the highway goin 75. The killer is the 9-10 mpg towing the boat and I cant quite make it all the way to Havasu on one tank with the short bed cuz it only has a 29 gallon tank.
HDD, If you guys add some CHROME you might make that magic 500hp mark.

phebus
12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks HH LMAO :p :p
We'll have to back this up with some scientific evidence then! :skull: :argue: :wink:
HDD :)
Also, if you could do a aerodynamic comparison between the Ford and Chevy stickers, I'm sure that would be the final end all arguement of which is better....Ford or Chevy :D

Eliminator 4 Life
12-18-2004, 10:59 AM
I had a 2004 ford f250 Diesel nice truck in fact I loved it. The 04 were cheap to lift just change the springs and shocks. The 05 has coils in the front which has made the ride alot smoother. I had a lot of problems with my ford so I CA lemon lawed it. Now I have a new GMC it is a nice truck not as roomy as a ford but it has a lot of nice features inside. If ford would redo the inside and not have it so truck like I would go back to Ford because of the room. The Fords tranny also is so smooth you cant even tell when its shiffting gears.. I would go with the Diesel the power is always there when you need it :idea: :idea:

BarryMac
12-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Chevy/GMC with the Duramax and Allison Transmission, best Combo thru and thru...

Mardonzi
12-18-2004, 03:47 PM
I just sold our 97 F-350 Crew cab powerstroke with 187k on it,, never had an ounce of trouble with the engine. Now the tranny is a different story. Granted you will pay more for the diesel, but it will hold it's value and marketablity better (my opinion) not to mention the fact that they go forever. I have contractors that are pushing 400 k miles on them. Another consideration is the Ford 100k warranty on the diesel. Another thing to consider is the cost difference between the 250 and 350. For the extra grand, in my opinion, it's well worth it to go with the 350 just for the resale potential.
We enjoyed ours so much, we just ordered an '05.

Jrocket
12-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Mine put 411 to the ground but not 500...I must have the wrong chip.

hava life
12-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Right now I love the room in my ford 150 crew cab but I have 120,000 on it and now I will have to drive due to some changes. I have not had any prob with the ford that is why I want to think about getting another one.I do not like the room in the chevy or dodge. So for the drive would a diesel or gas be a factor. I won't be towing more than a couple miles but will be on the road and off the road with the job I might take. Is a diesel worth it or stick with gas. I have never had a diesel so would it be worth the extra over long turm or not? The truck before my ford was a Blazer and I had over 350,000 on it before it was stolen at a job site.

MudPumper
12-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Just like everybody else here said. GO WITH THE DIESEL. Don't even question it, just do it. :confused: :D Seriously, get the diesel you will thank all of us after you do.

MudPumper
12-18-2004, 05:19 PM
The new fords are even nicer inside this year. Steering wheel controls, dual climate control, built in trailer brake module, built in switches for auxilary power such as a winch or off road lights, etc... Improved turning radius by about 5 feet. The diesel holds it's value better than the gas so the initial cost will be offset down the road if you decide to sell or trade it in later.

hot_diggity_dog
12-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Mine put 411 to the ground but not 500...I must have the wrong chip.
Add some stickers! ;) :idea: :D
HDD :cool:

BADBLOWN572
12-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Yep, you guys are right. I was under the impression that it was 395 stock not 325. My bad. You guys are right and I was wrong. Still, no matter how you look at it, you have 440 h.p. and plenty of torque to rip on most things on the street. Never a problem towing either.

boatnam2
12-18-2004, 07:20 PM
here is my story- my buddy and i buy 2001 ford 250's same month mine dsl his v-10.we both traded them in for dodge deisel's (wife works at dodge)i got 21500 trade in he got 11000.

hava life
12-18-2004, 07:47 PM
here is my story- my buddy and i buy 2001 ford 250's same month mine dsl his v-10.we both traded them in for dodge deisel's (wife works at dodge)i got 21500 trade in he got 11000.
Sooooooooooo your point? you got a Dodge. OK I want a ford

boatnam2
12-18-2004, 07:56 PM
my point is buy the peice of shit gas motor save a few thousand bucks when you buy it but lose your ass when you sell it.sorry i didnt explain it better.

cc322
12-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Buy what you want and can afford you are making the payments, the v-10 is a awsome motor, I myself am looking at two 03's with the v-10 in the long run about 10,000 cheaper then a new one with diesel, alot of people say the diesel will go for 300,000 miles, well imo who the heck wants to keep the same truck that long, I have several friends with the v-10 and they love them,

Dawn Patrol
12-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Get the Deisel, Period. I have a 8.1 4x4 CC LB Chevy (Love it) but the same truck with the same miles (Deisel) is worth 7k more than the Gasser......
It's only 4k more to get the Deisel engine.. My next truck will be a Ford F350 Deisel 4x4 LB CC.

Craig
12-19-2004, 07:08 AM
I tow with a 2000 F-250 with the V-10. It has more than enough power for my little 22 and is very quiet. 57,000 miles, never had a problem. Granted it only gets 14 mpg (if you baby it) empty and 10 towing. When we were looking it was a trade off. The extra money for the diesal up front, more for oil changes and more for fuel per gallon, but you get a better trade in later and better fuel mileage. We stumbled on a good deal on our truck so went with the V-10. If I was going to get a bigger boat, say 30', I'd consider the diesal.
Craig