PDA

View Full Version : Who's run a super big N2O unit on their Boat?

Fogged Gullwing
12-18-2004, 09:44 PM
I know most of us usualy run a 150hp or less but want to know the experience from someone who has pushed it a bit! I've run over 500hp on a car with a motor built for it but haven't done it with the boat. I ran the 150 shot for ten years and when I pulled my stuff apart I had a bit of main cap chattering 460 Ford two bolt main. Since then When I redid the whole combo I decided to go a little extreem but thats just the way I am. This time I studded the entire engine, Concreted the block and added the Probe Main girdle to it. Hopefully no more main chatter. I am no stranger to N2O I had one of the original Marvin Miller kits in the early eighties. So timing / Gas / Bottle pressures / fuel systems I know. Just want to know some of the experiences of people who have run the really big stuff on a boat. My current system is the NOS pro race fogger and no that's not nawwws like in the fast and the furious! I'm starting out with 250hp and depending on what happens go from there!
Later BK

Fogged Gullwing
12-18-2004, 11:53 PM
So you have a 300 hp 496 how the hell do you got that? Thats .6 hp per cubic in per cubic in. Did you forget to put the rings in the motor. :hammerhea
Later BK

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2004, 01:40 AM
I have a 18cp with a 496 and I plan on hitting it with a proflow 2 stage 600 hp shot. And the motor should make about 900hp :eek:
OK crack smoker !!!!!
You say you have a CP 18; is it a Gullwing or a Tunnel ????
You say you have a 496 how are you coming up with these #s ???
Is this going to be a lake, river or race boat ????
Merry Christmas
Jim

RD Express
12-19-2004, 08:41 AM
I know most of us usualy run a 150hp or less but want to know the experience from someone who has pushed it a bit! I've run over 500hp on a car with a motor built for it but haven't done it with the boat. I ran the 150 shot for ten years and when I pulled my stuff apart I had a bit of main cap chattering 460 Ford two bolt main. Since then When I redid the whole combo I decided to go a little extreem but thats just the way I am. This time I studded the entire engine, Concreted the block and added the Probe Main girdle to it. Hopefully no more main chatter. I am no stranger to N2O I had one of the original Marvin Miller kits in the early eighties. So timing / Gas / Bottle pressures / fuel systems I know. Just want to know some of the experiences of people who have run the really big stuff on a boat. My current system is the NOS pro race fogger and no that's not nawwws like in the fast and the furious! I'm starting out with 250hp and depending on what happens go from there!
Later BK
I have ran 400 + hp of nos (2 different motors). The first was a motor like you have w/steel rods, concreted block. It also showed signs of main cap chatter. I would suggest if you are racing this motor to run Aluminum rods. The second motor was an all out race engine. Had no problems with it. Sounds like you know all the do' and don'ts. I believe Aluminum rods are the answer. Also the cast Ford crank can not handle that much nos for long.

Tom Brown
12-19-2004, 09:03 AM
I have a 36 volt Minnkota that I plan to hit with NOS and alcohol.

steelcomp
12-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Jim Beam or Jack Daniels? Or maybe some good ol' George Dickle?

Fogged Gullwing
12-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks RD,
Yeah in the car we've got the new manley severe duty aluminum rods they are supposed to have higher cycle life to them. The car is leavin with a 350 hp unit now can't put anymore to it as of yet because it is'nt even on slicks. We are running the Mickey Thompson ET street Tires. The crank in the ford is a concern but thats why I'm not going higher than 250hp on the unit. I'm going to play around with this combo for a while and see what it does. I've got my twin turbo Duttweiler motor just waiting to go in something. It might as well be the boat. Going to Wichita today for work if I have some spare time I'll buzz over to Duanes place to check it out. I think it's only about 20 miles from where I'm going to be. Good luck this year with the racing season. Hopefully I'll get my stuff done for the opener in march at Ming.
Later BK

Cs19
12-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Nascar, Welcome to the boards.
Sounds like a healthy 496. Who built it, and where did it make peak power?Just curious as I have a 496 as well.
Some pics of your boat and engine would be cool too.

WheelerDealer
12-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Hey Fogged, what is your deck height?
RD Express, what kind of deck height did you run with the 400+ shot of nitrous?

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2004, 05:51 PM
No pics just yet. I built the motor with the help of ron hutter of hutter racing engines out of Ohio. The motor made peak power at 7300rpm.with one 1050. Im running afr 335 heads full cnc porting.
Merry Christmas Nascar97,
You must be a Kurt Bush fan. See when you explain things a bit better you get a better responce.
Jim

Cs19
12-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a nice engine. Should make the 18 really haul ass.
ST, I think more than his responce being weak, you guys didnt really read it correctly. It makes sence.
Motor makes 900, will have a 600 shot.
Be safe Nascar, thats more than enough power to get yourself in trouble.

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Sounds like a nice engine. Should make the 18 really haul ass.
ST, I think more than his responce being weak, you guys didnt really read it correctly. It makes sence.
Motor makes 900, will have a 600 shot.
Be safe Nascar, thats more than enough power to get yourself in trouble.
Yah maybe your right. I went one the first post pop off valve. So I red lite a bit. Opps !!! my apoligees !!! Nah just one. I really think it was the avgas !!!
Sorry Nasacr97
Jim

steelcomp
12-19-2004, 06:19 PM
No crack here the motor made 896hp and will have a 600hp shot on it. And it is a gullwing. :idea: :idea:

RD Express
12-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Hey Fogged, what is your deck height?
RD Express, what kind of deck height did you run with the 400+ shot of nitrous?
The motor prep was never my call. But I don't think it was anything special. .005 w/steeel rods & .015 w/aluminum. I could be wrong, but if you would really like to know I can ask my brother.

WheelerDealer
12-22-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks RD

TopCat
12-22-2004, 04:38 PM
IT really depends on alot of varitables, I use only 150hp but then I hav 13.5:1 comp ratio for rods i use Howard alum. off chysler forging and never hav got any main cap walk unless i turned the motor over 8500 guess i've been lucky as for that prob if you'er rich an IDT 4bolt main block(4bolt on all mains) either a 4.5 or 4.7in bore $2600.00 I hav one on order, as for any nos kit over 300hp you'd almost need to take a nos filling station to use it . Just my .02 cents but its all worked for me

Fogged Gullwing
12-22-2004, 09:10 PM
900 + 600 = 1500hp in a 18' Gullwing? Jack told me I would go 120 mph with 900 in my 19' What's your plan? That is alot of hp for that boat!!! I would put my big bad turbo thing that I have that made 1375 with really small turbo's and a really mild tune up in mine if I did not think I was going to die! This was not my imagination this was told to me by the really smart guy's. Good luck and be safe!!!!
Wheeler sorry I did not get back with you sooner trying to get out of wichita before I got snowed in!!!! All my N20 stuff I run 5 in the hole! .005 From twenty something years of doing this unit stuff that seems to be were it want's to be. Also if your going to run the really big stuff custom pistons gas ported with a 1/4" top ringland. Your also going to have to open up the ring end gaps too! Aluminum rods and the new hell fire speedpro rings also help!!!
Happy Holidays
BK

UBFJ #454
12-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Seems to me that putting a 600 n2o shot to an 896 Hp motor is going to mean one heck of a lot of motor maintaince ... not too awfully many 1/4 mile passes between tear downs and replacement of such things as valve springs, etc. ... Given that your injecting another 67% of the original Hp with the nitrous shot, I'd say you've got yourself a "Gernade" Motor.
I hope you realize what your getting yourself into in terms of Cost ... Plus ...

Fogged Gullwing
12-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Take it from Jak He Knows!!!! UBFJ champ! There isn't a cheap N2O Boat out there!!!!!
Later BK

12-23-2004, 12:02 AM
So you have a 300 hp 496 how the hell do you got that? Thats .6 hp per cubic in per cubic in. Did you forget to put the rings in the motor. :hammerhea
Later BK
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D :D
New name, same ol' BK!!! :2purples:
Did I miss any good Rex bashing threads while I was gone? :eek: :devil:

nascar97
12-24-2004, 10:25 AM
What type of system's are you guy's using.

Fogged Gullwing
12-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Ive got the NOS Pro race fogger.
Later BK

nascar97
12-24-2004, 03:18 PM
I have got the wilson pro-flow plate system with burst panels. its pritty nice stuff. :)

UBFJ #454
12-24-2004, 05:31 PM
We're running Wilson's Pro-Flow System Injected into our Wilson Sheet Metal Intake Under two 1150++ DaVinci's ... Quite a Good System ...
Our Boat is the last one on the last page of their '04 Catalog.