PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Nor Cal?

Cas42
06-25-2001, 11:38 PM
just checking

Spectracide
06-26-2001, 12:56 AM
I am, I live next to Lake Oroville.

SeaSlut
06-26-2001, 04:50 AM
Beautiful Topaz Lake

johnnie jetboat
06-26-2001, 08:20 AM
I live in the central valley. that puts me within about 20 lakes within 2 hours. My favorite is Don Pedro. Also there is the San Joaquin river and delta area, which is 5 minutes from my front door. Although the delta can be a little tricky sometimes, like the time I got stuck in 4 feet of mud(it looked like water!!!)...

nelsonf
06-26-2001, 09:59 AM
I am from the central Valley Modesto area we should all try to get together some time and shoot the roost
Fred

Blue Oval GT
06-26-2001, 11:36 AM
I'm from Herald, California, which is east of Galt. I'm new to the board, as of yesterday, and am more than impressed with the wealth of knowledge and valuable info so readily accessible. Last winter I finished a '79 GT full-stringer bubbledeck (paint, floor, carpet, and seats/upholstery) I purchased a year and a half ago. The 460 with a 12JC, place diverter, and an 'A" impeller pulls strong to 5600 RPM and seems very reliable. This is definitely the hot rodding of the future. New baby in November(a 2.5 lb. preemie who's doing great)so I haven't been out on the water yet this year. First opportunity though... Only place I've been in Camanche Lake, about 20 mins. away. I;ll definitely continue my education on this board...

Bubbledeck
06-26-2001, 05:45 PM
I'm from Fresno, car theft capital of the world!
Millerton is my home away from home :-)

oldphart
06-26-2001, 05:53 PM
I'm from Marysville and boat Englebrite, Camp far West, the Oroville forebay and afterbay

06-26-2001, 06:16 PM
Live in the Bay Area and boat at Putah Creek, Berryessa and Lake Tulloch. Always looking for more places.

Cas42
06-26-2001, 08:32 PM
looks like there's quite a few of us here. I say we try to pick a day and meet up for some fun in the sun. Probably should try to pick a lake that is kind of centralized for us all, except maybe the guys in Modesto and Herald, they'll be close to just about everything.
Most weekends in July are good for me and Aug 11/12 and 18/19 are not. Camanche isn't bad, haven't been there in years though, never been to Tulloch, was just at Don Pedro and was disapointed. I've spent numerous weekends there and loved it until this last trip but willing to try it again.
Any other suggestions?

nelsonf
06-26-2001, 09:00 PM
You name the place and time i'll be there

slotracer
06-27-2001, 05:03 AM
moving to stockton on 7/5/01 from the bay area, new to area it would be nice to meet local people that know the delta and local lakes, i have a 18ft 1975 tahiti with a 454 just put in it. nelsonf i am the guy that sold you your oil pan and manifold from belmont. pat

johnnie jetboat
06-27-2001, 08:24 AM
Let's do it! We can all get together and have a giant squirt party! I am open to trying any lakes. I only prefer Pedro because I have family and friends with houseboats there. To see a glimpse of my cousins houseboat,go to Real Jet Boats at:
members.nbci.com/***boats/realjetboats.html and click on heatseeker(my boat, tied up to the 'Pleasure Pad II').
I hear Camp Far West has alot of hot boaters. Maybe thats a possibility.
I hear Oroville is way down this year(I've got a buddy at work that lives within a mile from the lake), so maybe that's not such a good option.
Let's figure something out!!!
John

Cas42
06-27-2001, 09:26 AM
Pat,
I just moved from the Belmont/San Mateo area to Sonoma a year ago. It's about the best move I've ever made. Good Luck to you, I hope your move will be as good as mine was.
John,
I was thinking about Camp Far West or Rollins Lake too but it's a pretty long haul for the guys down in the Fresno area. I'd also like to try Bullard's Bar sometime, I hear it has a lot to offer. Another decent place would be the Delta outside of Tracy providing there's availability for a campsite. The one we used to use was on an island with 4 real large sites. If it's available, we might be able to get the whole island.
If the Delta doesn't get you all goofy, maybe we should consider Tullock, Camanche or Don Pedro.
Any chance to get that houseboat? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

06-27-2001, 09:42 AM
I was at Tulloch a couple of weeks ago. Things have changed, Copper cove finger is all 5mph [where the homes are]and the water can get rough for such a small lake. I stayed at Southshore campground which has been improved alot since the last owner/managers [?] We go more for the camping than the boating. Its not exactly the best ***boat lake there is. As for Don Pedro I didn't care for all the amature boaters that were around Fleming Meadows resort, most didn't have common boating sense. [too many near collisions] Any more ideas?

johnnie jetboat
06-27-2001, 02:16 PM
cas,
I live right outside of Tracy and I boat the San Joaquin all the time(between here and the deep water in stockton). I don't know where there are any 'campgrounds'. Tell me where to look and I will check it out for us(I am on vacation next week, so I could look around).I don't think I could get the houseboat(on Don Pedro) for a gathering, I'm only allowed one week a summer with just my wife and kids. The rest of the summer, I tag along with my cousins, who own the boat.
Pat,
As for the amature boaters around Fleming Meadows, you are right, there are a lot of ya-hoos around there. Too many kids riding lake lice(jetskis). (One of my cousin's got his brand new $50k bass boat speared by a 13 year old jetskier,last year) Just stay away from there. You can camp anywhere(beach or islands, I know of a few really nice spots) on the lake. I only go in(to Fleming) once a day for ice, otherwise I completely avoid that area of the lake.
Anyway, lets try to put something together.
John

oldphart
06-27-2001, 05:28 PM
Camp far west would be great normally on the last weekend of the month as thats when the prop jocks have their get togethers there only problem is that due to lack of rain & snow its a mud puddle with rocks. Bullards has about 40' of shore showing much like oroville. Forebay is full, no people but cold as hell. afterbay is full of water & boats. Englebrite is full of water and not too crowded but there is about a 4-1 ratio of cop to boat. For any kind of boating get together Camp Far west is best, just wish it had more water.

Spectracide
06-27-2001, 05:52 PM
I am going to go to Shasta this weekend. Oroville is low, but if you put in at the spillway ramp it's not too bad of a hike. It has 2 ramps, upper and lower. When the lake is low there are more sand beach's.
Let's get something going.
Kelly

Cas42
06-27-2001, 11:01 PM
John,
We used to rent the area right across from the Tracy Oasis Marina. I haven't been up that way in quite a while so maybe they don't rent it anymore?
We just got back from 5 days at Rollins lake, it was so enjoyable we reserved the same campsite for next year. Right now, it's my new favorite lake to go to. It's not all that big but the water was real good, the campsite was the best and the people were really nice. We had the group site on Bandy's Cove so we had the whole cove to ourselves. I'd recommend it to anyone but it is a ways to go for some.
Has anyone been to New Hogan or New Melones? What are they like?
SteveC

slotracer
06-28-2001, 05:03 AM
cas i am moving from belmont what part of the city did you live in . pat Originally posted by Cas42:
Pat,
I just moved from the Belmont/San Mateo area to Sonoma a year ago. It's about the best move I've ever made. Good Luck to you, I hope your move will be as good as mine was.
John,
I was thinking about Camp Far West or Rollins Lake too but it's a pretty long haul for the guys down in the Fresno area. I'd also like to try Bullard's Bar sometime, I hear it has a lot to offer. Another decent place would be the Delta outside of Tracy providing there's availability for a campsite. The one we used to use was on an island with 4 real large sites. If it's available, we might be able to get the whole island.
If the Delta doesn't get you all goofy, maybe we should consider Tullock, Camanche or Don Pedro.
Any chance to get that houseboat? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

johnnie jetboat
06-28-2001, 05:21 AM
Pat,
Welcome to the Valley!I moved from Pacifica to Lathrop(you go right past my house on 5, on your way to stockton) in Nov. 98. The best f'ing thing I ever did!!! I'm sure you'll be glad also!
I go out on the river often(one of the best things about living here). Maybe we can hook up. I'll show where NOT to go(mud hazards), as I've gotten stuck good one afternoon. I think there is a free launch in stockton. As you've probably read, I also go to Don Pedro often.
Some of these guys and I are trying to put together some kind of get together in the near future, so let's rock!
See ya around,
John
Originally posted by SLOTRACER:
moving to stockton on 7/5/01 from the bay area, new to area it would be nice to meet local people that know the delta and local lakes, i have a 18ft 1975 tahiti with a 454 just put in it. nelsonf i am the guy that sold you your oil pan and manifold from belmont. pat

waterdog
06-28-2001, 06:57 AM
Currently in Vacaville. Moving to Sacramento. Been boating Berryessa, Folsom Lake, and the Delta around Lodi/Rio Vista & Stockton.
Jeff

froggystyle
06-28-2001, 07:18 AM
I'm living in San Diego, but moving to the Sacramento area. I'll tell you some great spots, as I am from Sonoma. Tower Park in Isleton rents Houseboats, and there are several great resorts there too. Wimpy's, Ko Ket in Rio Vista, I can't remember the name of Craig Breedlove's place, but it was really nice. That is my favorite area in the world to ski and play. Another lake you are forgetting is New Hogan Reservoir. Gorgeous, and you can camp, although it has gotten low before, and I can't vouch for what it looks like in the last 10 years. Camanche is ridiculous. Berryessa is totally cool, and clearlake ain't bad either. If you go to Berryessa, make your way all the way up to Berryessa Marina. Worth the drive. There is an island up there south of BM, and on the western shore that has some epic skiing. Hope to see you all up there.

Cas42
06-28-2001, 08:41 AM
Pat,
My house in Belmont was on the Alameda right across from the Congressonal Church. I sold that in 96 due to a divorce and moved to San Mateo, made a small fortune when I sold that house and moved to Sonoma last year. As John said, moving away from the Peninsula is the best move I've ever made. Close enough to visit yet far enough away to stay sane.

Cas42
06-28-2001, 08:42 AM
or is that Congregational?
whatever........

06-28-2001, 08:47 AM
Froggy, I think Breedlove's place is Snug Harbor on Steamboat Slough, just down river from Hogback State Park. That is a great place to do dial-in work, nice ramp with a dock in the middle but its too busy during the summer but great off season. If you go to Berryesssa why not go up the road a little further to Putah Creek resort as its alot closer to the bridge and has a good launch ramp, camping, hotel, bar[with nitelife] and restarant. Although things have quieted down in the last couple of years it used to be 'the' place to hang out if you are into ***boats. Not uncommon to have 30-35 H.B. on any given weekend but past [read gone] management discouraged the ***boaters and tried for the "family" thing.

johnnie jetboat
06-28-2001, 06:50 PM
Steve,
I'll check out the Tracy Oasis site during the next week or so. The last time I drove out there was about two years ago. I was just exploring the rivers to see what was up. I only drove the levee on the Tracy(south) side of the river, so I never did see what was on the other side. The Oasis sure didn't look like much, although there were boats in their slips. I do know that if you travel that channel east, you will hit the San Joaquin river, close to Mossdale.
Mossdale is a pretty happening spot. They are right on the river with docks and a gas pump(bring extra $$$).They are a 'blues' bar with live music Friday through Sunday and Wednesdays too. On Sunday and Wednesday they also do bbq.We went there for New years this year. It's a pretty good time.
Like I said, I'll check it out.
Keeping the shiny side up,
John

james s
06-28-2001, 07:17 PM
Also live in Tracy. In the water within 15 minutes and going from either Mossdale, Tracy Oasis, Dells or Lazy M. For you guys that launch out of Mossdale, look for a lifted white Ford Ranger - I've got a Eliminator thats white with red, orange and yellow trim. Let's definitely hook up - can usually find a descent beach for the wife and kids as well. Roost up!!!

Cas42
06-28-2001, 10:14 PM
oh wow! Dells and the Lazy M, now there's some names from the past. Is Dell still around? That guy was older than dirt back in the 70's (at least he seemed that way)

Cas42
06-28-2001, 10:18 PM
Oops, hit Submit Reply before I was done.
We used to sit and watch the great show at Tracy Oasis. The people trying to launch their boats was a gas. We'd make bets just on what the people were wearing whether or not they'd forget to put the plug in. You'd be surprised at how many forgot http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

james s
06-29-2001, 05:23 AM
Hey CAS,
I guess that tells you how long we've been around, hey? As for the Oasis, I don't think you can launch from there anymore. They have a hoist, which picks your boat off the trailer and drops it in. I'm just down the road from the Oasis (5 min). Went out of there once - didn't like it. Mossdale is cool, but the water lately has been dirtier than hell. Left a nice big brown ring around my ride last weekend!!! See ya!!

johnnie jetboat
06-29-2001, 09:03 AM
James,
I live in Lathrop and launch out of Dos Reis when I go out on the river. You're right, there are a few really nice beaches in the area,when the water isn't too high. One in particular even has a rope swing for the rugrats. As far as the dirty water, it seems to come and go(I guess it depends on the flow). We should hook up for a blast one day. I prefer going out on weekdays, otherwise, there is too much traffic to really get it on.
Maybe you can check out the camping spot that Steve(cas) was talking about since you seem to be close.

Cas42
06-29-2001, 10:14 AM
James,
Back in my school days when I had to walk up hill both ways in 3ft of snow, Oasis had both the ramp and the hoist. I remember over hearing one guy ask how to get his boat off the trailer to put it on the hoist. The employee working the hoist at the time said "if you need to ask that question, maybe you shouldn't be using this." It was one of those back flush your nasal canal with liquid moments for me.

james s
06-29-2001, 10:55 AM
Hey Johnny, sounds like a plan, man. One nice thing about livin' out here - getting home from work with 5 hours of daylight left and hitting the sloughs. Weekdays/weekends it don't matter to me. Next time it heats up, I'll try and give you couple of days notice for a weekday run. Leaving for Redding tommorrow for week of the 4th - Whiskeytown and Shasta bound!!! Trying to make a run with sme other guys from work perhaps on the 16th of the month for New Hogan - went up there about 3 weeks ago. Nice place, but absolutely no trees. Got hotter than hell up there!! Might try Pedro or Tulloch - see how it goes. Hey CAS - I like the "up hill in both directions in 3 ft of snow" - too damn funny!!! See ya all.

jimmmyb
06-29-2001, 06:25 PM
HEY WHAT ABOUT LOST ISLE? i live in fremont
so i launch at the lazzzzy m, their kool their launch any time in summer $ 8.00
if they don't catch you when you put in they get you when you pull out, i can only go to delta on week days, when it's not that krazzzey, my sanger hydro gets a little touchy with any thing over 4 ft swells,
wed is a great day for the delta,
hey they still have lingerie shows on thurs day. those were great!

jimmmyb
06-29-2001, 06:27 PM
sorry for the brain fart the lingere shows at union point!

06-30-2001, 09:37 AM
Hey Jimmyb, where do you dock your hydro when at Lost Isle? Damn, I wouldn't go in there with anything less that 21' and high sides. Tried the ship channel side once but way too rough as was everywhere else. Wet t-shirt contest can be good too if they are still doing it. [heard they stopped because of complete nudity] narrow minded bastards!

johnnie jetboat
06-30-2001, 01:03 PM
I have read a couple of articles in the local papers about Lost Isle. It seems the local authorities(read San Joaquin county sheriffs)are trying to calm the whole 'wet t-shirt' scene down. From what I read, about two years ago things got a little out of hand and the sheriffs were overwhelmed. They started threating the owner with a bunch of petty health department code violations. I guess the owner had to tone it down or be forced out of business. It's too bad I didn't hear about Lost Isle until it was too late...