PDA

View Full Version : KFI L.A Radio Tower Hit by Plane !!!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-19-2004, 10:44 AM
The KFI AM 640 Radio Tower was just hit by a small plane.
2 people were killed.
The tower was 1,000 feet tall.
The entire tower fell down.
CJG

Mandelon
12-19-2004, 10:45 AM
A terrorist attack against John and Ken??? :eek:

shueman
12-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Yea, David Dryer.... :D

Huckleberry
12-19-2004, 11:54 AM
A terrorist attack against John and Ken??? :eek:
That's some funny stuff Rich!!! It's the "Dark Monday" folks out to get them!!!

BoatPI
12-19-2004, 12:06 PM
I was wondering as I tried tuning 64 in about about hour ago, NO signal.

HBjet
12-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Thats funny!

Dr. Eagle
12-19-2004, 12:34 PM
The KFI AM 640 Radio Tower was just hit by a small plane.
2 people were killed.
The tower was 1,000 feet tall.
The entire tower fell down.
CJG
I'll know not to be surprised when I can't get that radio station tomorrow on the way to work between Sacramento and San Francisco. It comes in better than the local stations in places. Or should I say... it did come in better...

raff
12-19-2004, 12:52 PM
POSTED: 11:09 am PST December 19, 2004
UPDATED: 11:13 am PST December 19, 2004
LA MIRADA, Calif. -- A small plane crashed Sunday morning into a radio station tower, killing two people aboard and temporarily knocking the station off the air, officials said.
The single-engine Cessna plane struck the KFI Radio tower about 9:49 a.m. and the tower tumbled to the ground, said Andrea Hawkins, a dispatch supervisor with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Television footage showed the 900-foot tall red-and-white tower in pieces on the ground surrounded by plane wreckage.
A man and woman were pronounced dead, Hawkins said. A small fire also was extinguished.
KFI, a talk and news station, was off the air for about an hour following the accident, said Leslie Lotto, an editor at the station.
A telephone call to the Federal Aviation Administration was not immediately returned.
Mark out

RiverRatMike
12-19-2004, 02:26 PM
I'll have to tune into KFI tonight do see if they are still on the air. I could hear their radio signal really good at night here in Havasu

Forkin' Crazy
12-19-2004, 02:49 PM
I hate to hear that.....
That's why I like flying at least 2000' AGL. That tower should have been on the sectional too.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Having flown outta Fullerton hundreds of times, I often wondered when that was goin to happen. Wondered iffin its happened before?
Rio
Yea.....
I've flown in/out of Fullerton a bunch also...... Always thought the same thing.
My company does work for KFI and I know one of the Broadcast Engineers pretty well. They called him in to work to see why they went off the air. So, he's driving over to see whats up and as he approached the site he called his wife and said....."Funny thing, I don't see the tower from the freeway".
They are on the back-up antenna system that is located on the same site, which was luckey enough not to be hit by the falling tower. The back-up antenna system is good for about a 100 mile radius.
It will be interesting to see if the tower gets re-built in the same place after public opinion weighs in. It will be months & million's of $$ before it's done.
Forkin....It "IS" on the sectional....remember it's a NavAid. :jawdrop:
Later,
CJG

all faded
12-20-2004, 11:17 AM
As the fam and I were driving to disney land we saw a big puff of smoke then the plane burst in to flames on the ground of a warehouse building. surprised no debri flew on to the 5 freeway

ROZ
12-20-2004, 11:29 AM
ROTFLMAO!!! I was going to say Gil Sedillo or some crazy latino group.... :D

Outnumbered
12-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Here is some history on the tower. Looks like it was hit once before (cable) but did not go down:
http://www.qsl.net/ad7db/kfi.html

Outnumbered
12-20-2004, 11:35 AM
http://www.qsl.net/ad7db/photos/kfi10.jpg