PDA

View Full Version : Xm Or Sirius

WILDERTHANU
12-19-2004, 01:22 PM
WHAT DO YOU THINK, MY PARENTS HAVE XM IN ALL THEIR VEHICLES AND LOVE IT....HOWARDS GOING SIRIUS...SO WHAT DO YOU THINK....IM LOOKING ON GETTING IT THIS WEEK??????

Mrs.Racer277
12-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Sorry I would go with XM. Howard is a pig. :D

Kachina26
12-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Is Howard a premium service? You may have to pay extra to get him, I like XM and could live a long time without ever hearing HS.

Kachina26
12-19-2004, 01:56 PM
I take it back, all channels are included in the $3.00 a month extra that you pay for sirius.

Scream
12-19-2004, 02:17 PM
XM IMHO, I have it in my new Suburban and I love it. I just bought it for my daughter and have it in my boat as well. I don't know that much about Sirus, but I don't think Howard is worth any extra $ that's for sure. He's a hack.
Scream

Blacksheep
12-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I used to work for Sirius as an Orbital and a Spacecraft Analyst. It all depends on if you are buying for the technology or programming. From the technology perspective I would go Sirius. Sirius has an advantage with their digital compression and coding and they also have a better orbit for their constellation of satellites that provided better line of site to the receivers. This comes into play when you are away from the larger cities and don't get help from the terrestrial repeaters. XM needs a much more extensive repeater network due to the geostationary orbit they fly which gives low line of site angles. Sirius line of site can be as high as 90 degs, directly above you.
Don't get me wrong both companies are good, I own stock in both, and the industry needs both to survive, but it depends what you are looking for. To some, it only boils down to the programming the companies offer not the technology.
FCC has mandated these two companies come up with an interoperable receiver that can receive both signals so before too long, these interoperable receivers will be available. This will allow people to buy a GM product and get Sirius or someone to buy a Ford and get XM.
For content, best advice I can give you is go to the companies websites and check out the different content they offer.
Let me know if I can answer anything specific.

Kachina26
12-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks Blacksheep.

Raisin Wake
12-19-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm an XM guy. The programming is so similar that the extra $3.00 is not worth it. From an end-user stand point, they both sound great. I've got a portable unit for my cars and my classroom, aswell, as in my boat.
By the way, I'm not a HS fan....

ALTERED-EAGLE
12-19-2004, 03:57 PM
XM has the Playboy channel, if you like smut. Sirius has the gay and lesbian channel, (were not sure why). I just put Sirius in a couple of my vehicles and they both work great, even in the remotest of places. Just my 2 cents.

24ROD
12-19-2004, 05:44 PM
We have XM in the boat and love it. I don't remember the last time I played a CD......... :cool:

Uplink
12-19-2004, 05:46 PM
I love my XM. I have not played any of my CD's for a couple years since getting it. Its the perfect boat gadget too. Terrestrial broadcasting is ancient technology now. I wish Howard would have went with XM, now I may have to switch all my stuff to Sirius. You'll enjoy either choice, I'm sure.
Mark
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/194xmboat1-med.jpg

LVJAKAZ
12-19-2004, 05:56 PM
We have XM in all of our cars and our boat...LOVE IT :)

al cole'holic
12-19-2004, 06:06 PM
I have XM but will be moving to Sirius, mostly because of the Howard Stern deal but for other programming big hitters Sirius is gearing up for. They are bringing alot of cutting edge people to their court and I think it will make a difference. If you like XM, you aren't going to hate Sirius...its the same thing. Music is music but for all the big name people Sirius is bringing to the table, that's where I want to be... :D

bigerich
12-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Currently, I think one of the biggest advantages to Sirius is the NFL is broadcasted on Sirius. If you don't like the NFL or HS, I think both XM and Sirius rock! I don't think you would disappointed with either choice.

Dawn Patrol
12-19-2004, 06:12 PM
NFL & Stern........ Sirius

JetBoatRich
12-19-2004, 07:08 PM
My XM works great, bought the car kit, FM kit and portable radio :cool: No complaints

H20Advantage
12-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Trying to decide on the new boat whether to put the single unit install kit or the remote system in. Hate to have it just in the boat and not be able to move it to the house when not in use. I don't think I like the look of the docking station.
Anyone have a good install solution for a clean look on the remote docking station?

PowellScooter
12-19-2004, 07:57 PM
As ypu may or may not know Lake Powell is pretty frickin remote, there is one radio station in town (it sucks), we went with Sirius 2 yrs ago and have sooo happy with it. Good mix of programming and never a down time that was longer than an few seconds that I can remember. I can take or leave Stern but he must have thought Sirius was better for him :devil:

Kilrtoy
12-19-2004, 08:40 PM
I have XM in both cars and I am NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL

jstwkd
12-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Following stern here..........................He may be a pig but I dig it....listen to him every morning.... :argue: .......lol

LilHarley
12-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Following stern here..........................He may be a pig but I dig it....listen to him every morning.... :argue: .......lol
Exactly ... I've listened to Stern for too long to be without him on my commute. I will be getting Siruis, the remote setup so that I can use it in the truck or the boat. Just my 2 cents ... :hammerhea

Kachina26
12-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I have XM in both cars and I am NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL
Why not?

Kilrtoy
12-19-2004, 09:19 PM
They rarely play any good music,
Im only gonna keep it til NASCAR starts and if i dont care for the NASCAR broadcast I will cancel it...
The country cancel sucks, Highway 95(TRUCKER CHANNEL on regular radio is way better

Kachina26
12-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I like channel 46 for music (classic rock), I like the techno on 82 and the comedy channels are cool. Hanks place is ok for country, but I don't like modern country, I like the old stuff. I don't even know why I like any country at all. I was a hard core head banger growing up. Which they have on channel 42. Nascar is bad enough to watch, I think I would kill myself if I had to listen to it!

Kilrtoy
12-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Come on NASCAR is the shit, i have too listen to it if I cant watch it on the tube........

Kachina26
12-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Nascar only works in person.

Kilrtoy
12-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Im gonna have to revoke your redneck card.....

KACHINA KEN
12-20-2004, 06:59 AM
It doesn't matter which one you pick, within 3 years one of them is going to pull ahead in the market and then buy the other one out and unify into one format. I have XM in the truck and the boat but Sirius is good too. XM 41 (boneyard ) good stuff when coolguy is on.