PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water Deposits, Help!

Tunnel Vision
12-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove hard water deposits on clear anodized aluminum.
The motor (OB) bracket was originaly polished and then clear anodized by Dana Marine the boat came from AZ so I'm assuming it's hard water deposits
from the Havasu area.
I have tried a few products with no luck, tried Flitz today and no luck. I wondered if any of you guys that boat at Havasu alot might have an idea, you must face this on a regular basis, where as we don't have that problem.
Any help would be great!
TV

Bre
12-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Lime away??

Blacksheep
12-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Tunnel Vision...One thing I have had success with removing hard water deposits is a bathroom cleaner that contains sulfuric acid. Can't remember the name of the product I used...just look at the contents for sulfuric acid. That seems to work then you can wax or polish over the spot and looks as good as new. I've used it on the fiberglass and the engine components. Works great..

BADBLOWN572
12-20-2004, 04:12 PM
CLR works well. I usually load it into a spray bottle at about 50-50 with water, mist it on, let sit for a minute, then wipe off.

Boozer
12-20-2004, 04:27 PM
CLR works well. I usually load it into a spray bottle at about 50-50 with water, mist it on, let sit for a minute, then wipe off.
I agree 100% on that. CLR is the best thing since sliced bread.

TIMINATOR
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
SHOWERPOWER!!! Spray on the bad areas and wipe/ hose off, wipe down the whole boat with some on a rag, then wash normally. Thank the DEBBINATOR, she thought of it and we've used it for a long time now. TIMINATOR

Tunnel Vision
12-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks you guys, I will give it a try!
TV

Lightning
12-21-2004, 10:53 AM
http://www.babesboats.com/
This stuff works great, the spot remover is the shit. You may also want to hit up Tobtek for his spot remover too - it works pretty good.

Three Days Only
12-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Carefull with the CLR on clear annodized aluminum. It very well might leave streaks in the aluminum. It will remove the lime put could cause other issue with the streaking. You can always brush the material with a 7447 scotch brite pad and then have the part clear powder coated that will give you the best long term results, but alot of work.
Jeff

andy01
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Used CLR on every piece on my DCB. It worked best on the SS but the powder coated stuff seemed to take wax to clean it up.