PDA

View Full Version : Handed down treasures ...

FMluvswater
12-21-2004, 06:18 PM
I've got two. A toy that is 59+/- years old that I've had since I was 2. It belonged to my Dad when he was little. It's a "Curious George" doll with sculptured rubber handpainted face, ears, hands, and lil red booties. He has faux fur on his head and arms and his stuffing is tightly compacted cotton rags, and miscellanous material bits. His original outfit disintegrated long ago but my Mom re-oufitted him when I was 9. Now that is also deteriorating so I wear one of my sons old infant sleepers on him to keep him from falling apart further. He's been missing an ear since 1977, other than that he looks great for a 59 year old toy. :cool:
My other handed down treasure is a 14K gold/white gold ring that my Dad had me give my Mom for Mother's Day when I was just over a year old. She gave it to me when I was 13. I lost it or so she and I both thought. It was stolen from me by a girl I knew from school. Passed through 4 pairs of hands over a 10 year period. My Mom saw an acquaintance sporting it about 7 years after it disappeared and confronted her but she denied that it was my ring. No proof so we let it go. Two years later the lady told my Mom's friend the truth and gave the ring to her to give back to us. I'm wearing it right now. :cool:
It amazes me we got it back at all - I had visions of it lost down a drain for the longest time. Sometimes being wrong is great. :clover: :)
Okay so what is/are your handed down treasures?

RiverOtter
12-21-2004, 06:20 PM
A letter my brother wrote to me right before he died of cancer. :(

FMluvswater
12-21-2004, 06:24 PM
A letter my brother wrote to me right before he died of cancer. :(
Yeah that would sure be something to treasure, RO. How do you keep it preserved? Frame? Laminated? Paper becomes delicate with age.

RiverOtter
12-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah that would sure be something to treasure, RO. How do you keep it preserved? Frame? Laminated? Paper becomes delicate with age.
Ya know. That is a good point. I just leave it in the envelope that it came in. I really should do something with it. The letter seems to find me when I am cleaning up. Every couple of years or so. It's very tough to read.