PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe problems

thom
12-21-2004, 06:51 PM
has anyone else had problems with Front tires on a Tahoe.. I have an 04 that continues to wear the inside of the front tires.. It also wanders all over the road.. The dealer says its not out of alignment it does this due to its turning radius.. Does this soud like a crock.. It does to me..

RiverOtter
12-21-2004, 06:54 PM
has anyone else had problems with Front tires on a Tahoe.. I have an 04 that continues to wear the inside of the front tires.. It also wanders all over the road.. The dealer says its not out of alignment it does this due to its turning radius.. Does this soud like a crock.. It does to me..
I had a 96, 98, 00, and 02 Burb and never had tire probs. My 00 was bullit proof. Loved that truck.

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 06:55 PM
how many miles and have the tires been rotated every 6,000 like recommended??
Also, once the tire starts a wear pattern it will continue to wear that way if alignment is in spec or not....
Tahoe's do feel like they wander a little w/that rack and pinion set-up they have....and any slight movement in the wheel the tahoe is in the next lane, very touchy steering...
And, is that your boat up at Castaic marine sitting UNCOVERED?? :cry:

RiverOtter
12-21-2004, 06:58 PM
I got 45,000 out of my factory tires. I am real good about getting all the recommended services done.

thom
12-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Yep.. i know call me bad i just havent had time to order a new cover yet.. Did it look ok... i havent been by to see it latley.. .dam work...

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 07:00 PM
I have an 01 3/4 ton Burb... no such problem... I think I'd try another dealer :eek:

thom
12-21-2004, 07:03 PM
im actually really goo dabout service.. on my ford i got 70,000 on a set of yokohama.. I took it to the dealer and had themm rotated i dont think the guy had ever rotated them.. when i took it in we rotated the tires and from what i remeber the rear( now on the front were fine..) that was at 14,000 now i have 15 and change on it and these are now wearing funny

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 07:03 PM
I have an 01 3/4 ton Burb... no such problem... I think I'd try another dealer :eek:
3/4 ton 'Burb uses a steering GEAR-BOX....
the Tahoe is rack and pinion, totally different front end :wink:
However, the other dealer advice may still be valid :rolleyes: :D

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Yep.. i know call me bad i just havent had time to order a new cover yet.. Did it look ok... i havent been by to see it latley.. .dam work...
looked good from the freeway....
How about a demo-ride? Been thinking of adding a deck boat to the arsenal...

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 07:07 PM
im actually really goo dabout service.. on my ford i got 70,000 on a set of yokohama.. I took it to the dealer and had themm rotated i dont think the guy had ever rotated them.. when i took it in we rotated the tires and from what i remeber the rear( now on the front were fine..) that was at 14,000 now i have 15 and change on it and these are now wearing funny
be happy to give you a second opinion if you need it....
if it does need alignment and there is not a front end failure (idler arm etc) it is maintenance item past 7500 miles so it would cost you $40...

thom
12-21-2004, 07:08 PM
looked good from the freeway....
How about a demo-ride? Been thinking of adding a deck boat to the arsenal...
no problem... just say when

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 07:12 PM
However, the other dealer advice may still be valid :rolleyes: :D
Yeah... Regardless of the difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton, that story sounds fishy
Oh and I had a 1992 1/2 ton and never had any problem with unusual tire wear. Just transmissions, rear ends and the annual alternator (List abbreviated for clarity, it could go on for pages)... :sqeyes: :D

Kachina26
12-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Wow Dan, you are good!

thom
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
be happy to give you a second opinion if you need it....
if it does need alignment and there is not a front end failure (idler arm etc) it is maintenance item past 7500 miles so it would cost you $40...
Im going to take it back to Power chevrolet and ask him to look into again.. The past problems he knew exactly what they were and had them replaced no questions asked..

Havasu Hangin'
12-21-2004, 07:18 PM
On my old 'Hoe...the slightest variance would throw off the alignment. For example...just by rotating a brand new set of BFG's...it lessened the dreaded "pull to the right" (which came back later, of course.) :notam:
My 3/4 ton is much more solid.

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 07:32 PM
My 3/4 ton is much more solid.
You know HH... They look pretty much the same on the outside, but that's where the similarity stops. My 3/4 ton has been ROCK solid... (Knock on wood) :hammerhea

Bullship
12-21-2004, 07:51 PM
I have an 02 Tahoe and it did the same thing. Took it to have it aligned and it was way off. Don't really know if its fixed or not cause I'm still running the same worn tires.

Kindsvater Flat
12-21-2004, 07:52 PM
All 20 of our 00,01,03, and 04 GM 1/2 tons eat the tires off the front no matter how many times it is aligned.
When you get a check engine light for a P0446 OBDII code I will be happy to tell you how to fix it once and for all. :D

Kachina26
12-21-2004, 07:55 PM
When you get a check engine light for a P0446 OBDII code I will be happy to tell you how to fix it once and for all. :D
Do tell, isn't that for evap low flow? Typical on farm vehicles, poor placement of the vent valve for the evap.

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Is there a hammer involved?

Kachina26
12-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Is there a hammer involved?
Not according to GM
DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated (Repalce Hose/Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Asm) #02-06-04-037 - (Jun 17, 2002)
DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated (Replace Hose/Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Asm)
1999-2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)
Condition
Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the instrument panel SES light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.
Cause
Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.
Correction
After following the Service Manual diagnostic P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the SES light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent hose assembly with a new assembly, P/N 15086429. This new assembly has an enhanced filtering capability and a filter element that can be easily removed and cleaned. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedure below.
1. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.
2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
3. Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.
4. Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.
5. Disengage, from the underbody, the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody.
6. Remove and discard the complete EVAP canister vent hose assembly.
7. Position and secure the new assembly to the underbody using the existing hole and mounting bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
8. Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.
9. Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.
10. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
11. Lower the vehicle.
When properly installed, the new EVAP canister vent hose assembly will be positioned outboard of the original installation location. This new location provides clearance for accessing the filter element for cleaning purposes. To access the filter element, disengage the filter cover to valve locking finger by gently lifting the finger upward while simultaneously rotating the filter body clockwise. After approximately 45 degrees of rotation, the filter can be disengaged from the valve by gently pulling outward. The filter cover can then be removed and the filter element and body can be washed with soap and water. Prior to reinstalling, ensure that the body and filter element are dry.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Hose Asm-Evap Emis Cnstr Vent
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
L0260
Hose, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve Asm - Replace
0.4 hr

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks... :messedup: :sleeping: :D

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Not according to GM
DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated (Repalce Hose/Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Asm) #02-06-04-037 - (Jun 17, 2002)
DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated (Replace Hose/Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Asm)
1999-2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)
Condition
Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the instrument panel SES light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.
Cause
Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.
Correction
After following the Service Manual diagnostic P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the SES light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent hose assembly with a new assembly, P/N 15086429. This new assembly has an enhanced filtering capability and a filter element that can be easily removed and cleaned. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedure below.
1. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.
2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
3. Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.
4. Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.
5. Disengage, from the underbody, the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody.
6. Remove and discard the complete EVAP canister vent hose assembly.
7. Position and secure the new assembly to the underbody using the existing hole and mounting bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
8. Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.
9. Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.
10. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
11. Lower the vehicle.
When properly installed, the new EVAP canister vent hose assembly will be positioned outboard of the original installation location. This new location provides clearance for accessing the filter element for cleaning purposes. To access the filter element, disengage the filter cover to valve locking finger by gently lifting the finger upward while simultaneously rotating the filter body clockwise. After approximately 45 degrees of rotation, the filter can be disengaged from the valve by gently pulling outward. The filter cover can then be removed and the filter element and body can be washed with soap and water. Prior to reinstalling, ensure that the body and filter element are dry.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Hose Asm-Evap Emis Cnstr Vent
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
L0260
Hose, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve Asm - Replace
0.4 hr
Are you on SI at home there bud? I hope that wasn't quoted from memory...
Dan <---has to admit that he might be on gmtraining here shortly :(

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Wow Dan, you are good!
not too shabby for an old service writer turned b/shop manager eh? :D

HCS
12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
You know....they said Tahoe was warming up at an alarming rate.
I think it's turning volcanic. :notam:

HCS
12-21-2004, 08:17 PM
not too shabby for an old service writer turned b/shop manager eh? :D
Never let a guy with a ballpeen hammer work on your car. :D

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:20 PM
You know....they said Tahoe was warming up at an alarming rate.
I think it's turning volcanic. :notam:
No it has to be all those boats warming up the lake... :idea: :yuk: :rolleyes: :notam:

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Never let a guy with a ballpeen hammer work on your car. :D
Funny you mention that.....I was over at a friends couple weeks back helping put up xmas lights. He's a former Nissan (read DATSUN) tech, turned service advisor, turned ext warranty inspector. Anyway I open up his tool box looking for a staple gun and can't help but notice how many HAMMERS are in there.....So I comment that he sure has a lot of hammers for a guy that was a tech :squiggle:

Kindsvater Flat
12-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Do tell, isn't that for evap low flow? Typical on farm vehicles, poor placement of the vent valve for the evap.
Yes you got that right. Here is a little page I made to cure the problem. I am also doing the same thing to the fords.
Evap (http://www.schoutenranch.com/smog/)
Kachina tell me your thoughts on this. Do you see this often?

HCS
12-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Funny you mention that.....I was over at a friends couple weeks back helping put up xmas lights. He's a former Nissan (read DATSUN) tech, turned service advisor, turned ext warranty inspector. Anyway I open up his tool box looking for a staple gun and can't help but notice how many HAMMERS are in there.....So I comment that he sure has a lot of hammers for a guy that was a tech :squiggle:
Did he have a claw hammer? If he did that's why he's a warranty inspector. :D

HCS
12-21-2004, 08:30 PM
No it has to be all those boats warming up the lake... :idea: :yuk: :rolleyes: :notam:
Maybe it's those paddle wheels on the Ms Dixie & Tahoe Queen.
It has to be our fault. Why else would the lake over heat?
Thermostat? :idea:

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Why else would the lake over heat?
Thermostat? :idea:
Faulty Water Pump? :notam:

thom
12-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Faulty Water Pump? :notam:
Could be the ball bearings

Tahiti350
12-21-2004, 09:37 PM
On the tire wear issue, the military (Air Force) uses lots of GM vehicles (they buy in cycles), and all of our GM's eat the front tires. We use them on the flight line with lots of low speed tight turns. Most of the wear is on the right outer and left inner edges due to the near constant right hand turns away from the planes. The Dodges and Fords so far don't seem to have as bad of a problem. GM builds for straight or highway type use, is yours used more "around town"?
I also had an Astro van that destroyed the front tires, inner edges of both, with under 70k on the van. Front end used a dual idler arm arrangement, and both idler arms were shot. Got it fixed under warranty (took it in with 69, 994 miles on it) and had a butt load of stuff fixed, then the ex-wife talked me into trading it in because it was "old". Point here is to have them check the rack and tierods (since yours is a rack and pinion) closely for wear, as a floating toe problem will cause most of the problems you describe.
GaryB> Tahiti350

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Could be the ball bearings
Naw..... they pretty well shrink out of site (head north) in that water.... :notam:

Kachina26
12-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Yes you got that right. Here is a little page I made to cure the problem. I am also doing the same thing to the fords.
Evap (http://www.schoutenranch.com/smog/)
Kachina tell me your thoughts on this. Do you see this often?
You my friend are one sharp individual. You wouldn't make any money flat rating, but you are pretty darn sharp. :D I don't see this very often, I've heard of it and maybe had 1 or 2 through my shop. I bet the guys over in Norco or out toward Beaumont (no really) see more of this than I do. I like your kit, I see no issue with emissions. As long as it flows enough to satisfy the standards for not setting a p0446, I think it's fine. You can thank the Feds and California for these kinds of codes. As emissions standards get tougher, the monitoring systems get more sensitive. Sometimes to the point where the car can't be made to operate the way the Govt. wants. However, the support I have available to me (like the bulletin I just pulled as well as every service manual I could need for a GM right in my own home or on my laptop where ever I am) is getting better and more reliable. You should consider a patent on that seriously, and then sell it to the major manufacturers.

thom
12-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Naw..... they pretty well shrink out of site (head north) in that water.... :notam:
you got that right

thom
12-21-2004, 09:47 PM
time to hit the hotel bar again.. loosing my buzz. be back in a few

Kindsvater Flat
12-21-2004, 10:03 PM
You my friend are one sharp individual. You wouldn't make any money flat rating, but you are pretty darn sharp. :D I don't see this very often, I've heard of it and maybe had 1 or 2 through my shop. I bet the guys over in Norco or out toward Beaumont (no really) see more of this than I do. I like your kit, I see no issue with emissions. As long as it flows enough to satisfy the standards for not setting a p0446, I think it's fine. You can thank the Feds and California for these kinds of codes. As emissions standards get tougher, the monitoring systems get more sensitive. Sometimes to the point where the car can't be made to operate the way the Govt. wants. However, the support I have available to me (like the bulletin I just pulled as well as every service manual I could need for a GM right in my own home or on my laptop where ever I am) is getting better and more reliable. You should consider a patent on that seriously, and then sell it to the major manufacturers.
Thanks Kachina but I have no intention of doing anything flat rate again. I have worked at an indy shop for awhile and couldn't stand the customers. Now I know I wouldn't have that one on one deal at a dealership but still they are there. Beating flat rate wasn't always that hard but sometimes yes. I am the gm pickup fuel pumps down to 26 minutes. I guess you do enough of them you get pretty quick. My latest is a pencil stuck in the blend air door. I told him I don't have time until after the 1st so where an extra sweatshirt:D
We have been working with K&N on the air cleaner setup seeing what they will do. I have alldata and Mitchell on the laptop and access to GM's database also. Just don't ask how ;)

HCS
12-21-2004, 11:08 PM
This is a serious issue here.
If the lake is over heating, and the bearings are contracting, and there's not enough flow, you might throw a rod! :eek:
I think surgery is order. The bearings have to drop to increase the flow.
RIGHT?

Sherpa
12-22-2004, 06:57 AM
it's gotta be the 4x4's churning up mud, which is turning the lake brown. which is refracting more light, causing the lake to heat up...
Get your Tahoe mud-lake warming permits here first gang.
Another fine Sherpa product-!
--Sherpa
Sherpa products are a registered product of Sherpa industries, LLC.

BoatPI
12-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Having owned 10 SUV's the wandering could just be the type of tires. I learned long ago that different brands and styles can make a dramatic diff in the wandering of the front end. It can be distracting for sure.

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Having owned 10 SUV's the wandering could just be the type of tires. I learned long ago that different brands and styles can make a dramatic diff in the wandering of the front end. It can be distracting for sure.
I have an 02 Z71 Burb. Came with GoodYear Wranglers and loved them. Took a nail in the side wall at 32,000 miles so I had to buy a new set. Ordered the same tires $900 + THEY SUCKED!!!! I thought it was a balance problem. The tire dealer called me back and said the only way to make the truck ride good again was to put Mich's on it. And he was right. Smoooooothe as buddah.

Family4Day
12-22-2004, 01:50 PM
My wife has an 03 Tahoe and we have not had any unusual wearing of tires but we just had a clicking develop while turning. The dealer said they have had "quite a few" with the same problem. It is not a recall or safety issue, more of a nuisance. The parts are on order, so they must have had a few to fix already. I don't remember the part, but they should get the parts this week and warranty repair it next. I'll ask if they have seen this cause any unusual tire wear and let you know.
Todd

dicudmore
12-22-2004, 01:53 PM
My wife has an 03 Tahoe and we have not had any unusual wearing of tires but we just had a clicking develop while turning. The dealer said they have had "quite a few" with the same problem. It is not a recall or safety issue, more of a nuisance. The parts are on order, so they must have had a few to fix already. I don't remember the part, but they should get the parts this week and warranty repair it next. I'll ask if they have seen this cause any unusual tire wear and let you know.
Todd
Todd is that click noise in the steering column or from outside the car??
Column = steering shaft, outside = crossmember....
Neither would cause tire wear....

Family4Day
12-22-2004, 02:01 PM
It is a part in the column that has been wearing out according to Chevy. Other than the noise, no prob. The service guy had seen a lot lately come in with the noise, but I have the wifes tahoe at work with me today and checked again, no unusual wearing in the front.
Todd