12-21-2004, 08:04 PM
..............a world composed entirely on tiny vibrating strings :wink:

Badger301
12-21-2004, 08:06 PM
:confused:

uvindex
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
:confused:
Just google it. It's theoretical, and kind of heavy. You might need an altered state of consciousness before commenting on it. :)

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Einstein was working on a dream when he died.....
It's a new revolutionary theory............
with 11 dimensions and parallel universes next door...........
(Channel 28 NOVA)
:wink:
It's cool!

Raisin Wake
12-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Just trying to wrap my mind around it. Sounds pretty cool. An end all be all law that defines the universe is pretty amazing.......

Propchecker
Einstein was working on a dream when he died.....
It's a new revolutionary theory............
with 11 dimensions and parallel universes next door...........
(Channel 28 NOVA)
It's cool!
Don't think I can tune in, my crackpipe broke down last week :)

jdf
way to deep for my brain

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:14 PM
The strings are able to bend and flex and make any shape, don't think straight lines (strings) :D

dicudmore
12-21-2004, 08:16 PM
not familiar with the string theory....
and I did not sleep at holiday inn express last night, however I like the new avatar. Are you playing Mrs Clause there :idea: :D

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:17 PM
My theory is that Stainless Steel Strings work best on my Bass Guitars... :supp:

Havasu Hangin'
12-21-2004, 08:17 PM
If the string theory is true...
...then my life is like a bowl of spaghetti.

Raisin Wake
12-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Just think, if we could discover the strings and how they work, we could start to build things with the strings. I see a Star Trek like replicator. That would be cool.
i'm such a geek......

Propchecker
12-21-2004, 08:20 PM
The only strings I think about are "G"'s

LHC30Victory
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Once you take the time to learn a little bit about string and quantum stuff, it's pretty cool - Right Jen?
Here it is - in english :idea:
http://superstringtheory.com/
I used to copy sections out of this and forward them to my boss when he gave me BS reports to write. :D

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:23 PM
The only strings I think about are "G"'s
I can't believe it took 14 posts for someone to bring that up.........lol ;)
and I did not sleep at holiday inn express last night, however I like the new avatar. Are you playing Mrs Clause there
Yes, I am Mrs. Clause, and my dog Sonny is just out of frame, I need to get Ahhell to shrink the pic for me. :D
.If the string theory is true...
...then my life is like a bowl of spaghetti.
........not a box of chocolate? ;)

Raisin Wake
12-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Once you take the time to learn a little bit about string and quantum stuff, it's pretty cool - Right Jen?
I used to copy sections out of this and forward them to my boss when he gave me BS reports to write. :D
That's a cool website. I've got some reading to do....

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Where's Jen,
She is our little Physics Major :D

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:28 PM
That's a cool website. I've got some reading to do....
Yeah, I checked it out too. Looks like there might be some cool BS to use on the boss in there :cool:

ahhell
12-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I like silly string...Debbo, stay out of the Sierra Nevadas...youre scarring me :rollside:

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:31 PM
I like silly string...Debbo, stay out of the Sierra Nevadas...youre scarring me :rollside:
Lets see the equation:
Deb + Beer = Quantum Physics?

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Come on..............with your big old head............I'm sure YOU can figure out String Theory...................lol :rollside:
jk/lol (P.S. I have another pic for you to shrink down for my avitar, if you have the time) :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Halloween_and_no_cancer_DOM_040-thumb.jpg

HM
12-21-2004, 08:35 PM
I have the book "The Elegent Universe" by Brian Greene on String Theory.
Great book!! In layman terms for the most part..but what do I know, I only have a B.S. in Physics and M.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
A Great book to read before that is "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking
String Theory actually makes a relationship between quantum physics and general relativity (small stuff and big stuff that usually clashed when the theories were combined).

jdf
12-21-2004, 08:37 PM
string theroy i thought it was a shoe string

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:37 PM
A Great book to read before that is "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking
I have that book..............I'm a Stephen Hawking Groopie :D

ahhell
12-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Come on..............with your big old head............I'm sure YOU can figure out String Theory...................lol :rollside:
jk/lol (P.S. I have another pic for you to shrink down for my avitar, if you have the time) :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Halloween_and_no_cancer_DOM_040-thumb.jpg
I love physics...just havent had any classes in it for 20+ years....
which pic???

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:42 PM
You of course realize this means
We're
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED (http://images.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/drama1.wmv)

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:47 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Halloween_and_no_cancer_DOM_040-med.jpg
This pic............ :D I love physics too
And NO...we are NOT DOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephen Hawkings will save us :D

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 08:52 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Halloween_and_no_cancer_DOM_040-med.jpg
This pic............ :D I love physics too
And NO...we are NOT DOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephen Hawkings will save us :D
OK... Pic didn't work
Yes we are dooooooooomed....
Nobody will save us! :eat:

Norseman
Gee, I have a bunch of reports to write before New Years. This should work really well!!! :eat:
It will be June before they figure out what's in them, and by then they will forget why the needed them...... :jawdrop:
THANKS!!!!! :2purples:

Dr. Eagle
Oh sure NOW you fix it.... :D

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 08:53 PM
:wink: :wink: :cool:

HM
12-21-2004, 08:58 PM
He is working on a new book that totally goes against his first book. The first book lays out "the big bang theory". The second book he will try to prove there was no big bang (he has not been to beaumont!) He is a true scientist and demonstrates his non-biased views by trying to prove all theories and then disprove them.

Havasu Hangin'
12-21-2004, 09:00 PM
........not a box of chocolate? ;)
No...chocolates are much too organized to descibe my life. :hammerhea

Misogynist
12-21-2004, 09:01 PM
I don't know about that Stephen Hawking... I've heard he likes Indian food so hot... it melts mere mortals..... :jawdrop:

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm a little suspicious of Brian Green, for one he brushes his hair, not self respecting physisist(sp) brushes his hair! (lol)
And this theory seems a bit convient to me.............
1) The theory of light conflicts with the theory of gravity
2) The theory of gravity conflicts with the theory of electromagnatism (sp)
3) Then there is the lesser nuclear atom and the greater nuclear atom
Well they all conflict, so they are looking at String Theory to connect them.
Seems a little convenent, because they can't prove it...........if they can't prove it.......it's philosophy.
IMO :D

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm a little suspicious of Brian Green, for one he brushes his hair, not self respecting physisist(sp) brushes his hair! (lol)
And this theory seems a bit convient to me.............
1) The theory of light conflicts with the theory of gravity
2) The theory of gravity conflicts with the theory of electromagnatism (sp)
3) Then there is the lesser nuclear atom and the greater nuclear atom
Well they all conflict, so they are looking at String Theory to connect them.
Seems a little convenent, because they can't prove it...........if they can't prove it.......it's philosophy.
IMO :D
Then there's the Dark Energy...
Like I said, We're
DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://images.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/drama1.wmv)

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 09:13 PM
I like how the sub atomic level bounces around :wink:

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I like how the sub atomic level bounces around :wink:
An influence of cosmic rays, and Dark Energy...
DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!! (http://images.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/drama1.wmv)

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 09:17 PM
It looks like a dance floor, (10)
and then if you go up to the big floor(100) it's all perfect and laid out straight......personally I think Space is more like hair gel than that laid out grid, with the planets rolling around. Humans think so linearly, :wink:

Tahiti350
12-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Have not read the theory yet, but if the universe is based on "strings" and we mere mortals start mucking around and pulling on strings that we don't understand, what happens when we pull the wrong one? Sounds like we could undo the whole shitncaboodle just like a cheap sweater....
GaryB> Tahiti350

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Humans think so linearly, :wink:
Yes..... the world is flat, there is a sound barrier, my boat won't go faster than 60... :idea: Oooops that one's accurate... :supp:

Goldilocks
12-21-2004, 09:21 PM
This is a cool topic :)

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 09:22 PM
No, the world and everything in it is made up of tiny atoms arranged in strings, that flex and bend so the mathematicians equations work.
Ooooo, now they are talking about sub atomic particles :2purples:
(and my boat goes 65mph) :wink:

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 09:23 PM
This is a cool topic :)
There she is...............spread some light please!!! :wink:

Goldilocks
12-21-2004, 09:31 PM
There she is...............spread some light please!!! :wink:
Yeah right. I have forgotten a lot since I graduated college. I'd have to read some before I could ever spread some light. You have the concept down though. :220v:

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 09:34 PM
I wish I was better in math, I so would have majored in this subject!! :wink:

Goldilocks
12-21-2004, 09:35 PM
The crazy thing is that these physicists invent new mathematics to explain theories. The math for the string theory has got to be absolutely insane. :eek:

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 09:38 PM
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://images.fedex.com/us/about/advertising/tvads/drama1.wmv)

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 09:40 PM
they were just explaining the anomolies, and how if there are anomolies(sp) in an equation, it doesn't balance, it doesn't work, you have to throw it out.
Well these string physists decided to calculate each side, got the same number and concluded the equation balanced.
So.......... I don't know, I think they do make things up to explain their theory, and it probably stands, until someone makes up another one to disprove it. And the strings are so tiny you can't see them, and the equations don't really solve.............so, I don't know.
Very interesting topic though :wink:

Goldilocks
12-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Very interesting topic though :wink:
Yes, I agree with that. One that is really over my head. I was reading some of the explanations on the link Ted (LHC30Victory) provided. Crazy stuff. Made my head hurt a little :hammerhea
I love physics :)

SHAKEN Not Stirred
12-21-2004, 10:15 PM
I think I've seen that guy Hawking......
Isn't he on the Jerry Lewis Telethon every year ???
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy ????
Huh....
Later,
CJG

JustMVG
12-21-2004, 11:42 PM
String theory is facinating to me , but is still in it's infancy. I've read The Elegant Universe and found it to be very enlightening, but our theorists and quantum mechanics and physicians, assume all their theories to be exact with little or no errors, but if string theory asumes that all the planes exist and combine with each other than there has to be a flaw somewhere, think of this if there were one less electron or gravity was a minute fraction stronger or weaker, the universe as we know it today would not exist. For us this is the perfect solar system, our planet is exactly where it needs to be for life to have taken hold and prosper, now if there are several "planes" as is the supposed case in various string theories,and those planes are each vibrating at a different frequency, if any of those planes were to cross into our own wouldn't it throw off the balance of the plane in which we "live"?
And to think that our universe is just a random "perfection" boggles the mind, everything is "just right" for us to exist. Are we just an experiment on a much grander scale than we as mere humans can ever comprehend?
Oh well random thoughts at 11:30pm , MikeVG
And no i'm not drunk, don't drink, and i am not High, don't smoke or snort or shoot up.... just thinking out loud and typing it all down...

FMluvswater
12-22-2004, 07:06 AM
String theory is facinating to me , but is still in it's infancy. I've read The Elegant Universe and found it to be very enlightening, but our theorists and quantum mechanics and physicians, assume all their theories to be exact with little or no errors, but if string theory asumes that all the planes exist and combine with each other than there has to be a flaw somewhere, think of this if there were one less electron or gravity was a minute fraction stronger or weaker, the universe as we know it today would not exist. For us this is the perfect solar system, our planet is exactly where it needs to be for life to have taken hold and prosper, now if there are several "planes" as is the supposed case in various string theories,and those planes are each vibrating at a different frequency, if any of those planes were to cross into our own wouldn't it throw off the balance of the plane in which we "live"?
And to think that our universe is just a random "perfection" boggles the mind, everything is "just right" for us to exist. Are we just an experiment on a much grander scale than we as mere humans can ever comprehend?
Oh well random thoughts at 11:30pm , MikeVG
And no i'm not drunk, don't drink, and i am not High, don't smoke or snort or shoot up.... just thinking out loud and typing it all down...
I've had similar random thoughts and I was sober also, Mikey. The miniscule intricacies in life that work and comingle/co-exist make me highly doubt random perfection/big bang type theories. I think there's something huge we are missing or lack full awareness of .... kinda like ants probably don't know what humans are but that we are big, we are out there and we are forces to be reckoned with/enemies .... maybe? :idea:
I'd never heard of string theory before and haven't clicked the link yet but just the bit that's been alluded to in this thread I find fascinating. Wish I'd seen the link when I was up all alone with not much to do. Gonna save that one for "near future" reading. :cool: Great topic Deb. :cool:

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 07:09 AM
I've had similar random thoughts and I was sober also, Mikey. The miniscule intricacies in life that work and comingle/co-exist make me highly doubt random perfection/big bang type theories. I think there's something huge we are missing or lack full awareness of .... kinda like ants probably don't know what humans are but that we are big, we are out there and we are forces to be reckoned with/enemies .... maybe? :idea:
I'd never heard of string theory before and haven't clicked the link yet but just the bit that's been alluded to in this thread I find fascinating. Wish I'd seen the link when I was up all alone with not much to do. Gonna save that one for "near future" reading. :cool: Great topic Deb. :cool:
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/html/emoticons/huh.gif

JustMVG
01-04-2005, 05:34 PM
FM, there is also a book called "The God Part of the Brain" in that book it tries to explain, or if you want, justify, why there is a "God" , the bottom line to the book is that as prehistoric man became more evolved, he had to learn to "Deal" with death, so as the evolution continued, a part of the brain became the "God" center, it allowed humans to deal with loss, gave us "something" to believe in, and as all things evolve so did the different ideas of what "God" or higher power is. Very interesting reading and is just another point of view that some might find fascinating.
MikeVG

FMluvswater
01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
FM, there is also a book called "The God Part of the Brain" in that book it tries to explain, or if you want, justify, why there is a "God" , the bottom line to the book is that as prehistoric man became more evolved, he had to learn to "Deal" with death, so as the evolution continued, a part of the brain became the "God" center, it allowed humans to deal with loss, gave us "something" to believe in, and as all things evolve so did the different ideas of what "God" or higher power is. Very interesting reading and is just another point of view that some might find fascinating.
MikeVG
Do you know the author's name? Sounds like an interesting read. :idea:

JustMVG
01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Matthew Alper, is the author, i should just send you my copies, or go to Barnes and Noble and read a chapter a day!!! :D

FMluvswater
01-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Matthew Alper, is the author, i should just send you my copies, or go to Barnes and Noble and read a chapter a day!!! :D
Matthew Alper ...ok .. and "The God Part Of The Brain" is the full title? I might pick it up from Chapters. Unless you were serious about the book loan? :D

JustMVG
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Serious sure, if you want, just pm me the info it'll save you a few bucks and if don't like them they won't just sit on a shelf. MVG

FMluvswater
01-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Serious sure, if you want, just pm me the info it'll save you a few bucks and if don't like them they won't just sit on a shelf. MVG
Awesome! Thanks Mikey! :cool: I'll PM you shortly. :)

Debbolas
01-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Currently I'm reading "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton ( I love him) and how the global warming is all BS, but for some reason EVERYONE believes it...(media). :notam:
I'll send it to ya when I'm done, or if ya every drop by this part of the woods :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Order from disorder.......Impossible!!! :idea:
If I put all the pieces of a car in a garage and wiat for a million years, the car still won't assemble it's self.......Someone still needs to assemble it from a plan or drawing. :notam:
CJG
:cool:

FMluvswater
01-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Currently I'm reading "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton ( I love him) and how the global warming is all BS, but for some reason EVERYONE believes it...(media). :notam:
I'll send it to ya when I'm done, or if ya every drop by this part of the woods :D
Well how about send it to me when you're done and I give it back in person (this year sometime is my hope)? :wink: :)

ROZ
01-04-2005, 11:26 PM
wiat for a million years,
Nobody will be here in a million years to prove it....

ROZ
01-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Maybe we're the string in someone, or something, else's theory.... :chi:

FMluvswater
01-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Maybe we're the string in someone, or something, else's theory.... :chi:
Whoa. :idea: That's just great - now I'm hungry. :D

Sleek-Jet
01-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, since we're deep into this subject... read "A Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan.

ROZ
01-04-2005, 11:49 PM
I find that reading Beatle Baily or Luan is just as therapudic... :)

Sleek-Jet
01-04-2005, 11:54 PM
I find that reading Beatle Baily or Luan is just as therapudic... :)
"Stone Soup" and "Rudy Park" are good as well.... :D